PDA

View Full Version : AJ Green

DesertFox24
04-13-2011, 09:43 AM
I was listening to Buddy Nix last night and he said some things that got me thinking. He said they think Fitz is a really good QB and they just need to get some better people around him.

He also said he wants to draft a starter but also wants a guy that will help the team over the long haul and not what all these mock drafts say he should take.

Does that mean AJ Green and Kyle Rudolph or Luke Stocker?

AJ Green is a premier talent no doubt, and maybe I am just reading to much into it.

TacklingDummy
04-13-2011, 09:48 AM
I'd be happy with Green and Rudolph.

Buffalo Thriller
04-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Green is a freak.

Novacane
04-13-2011, 09:55 AM
We'll have to win shootouts every week if they don't address the D.

streetkings01
04-13-2011, 10:05 AM
We'll have to win shootouts every week if they don't address the D.This is what I dont understand.........people want us to draft a rookie this season to help us this season. It's very rare that a rookie defensive player other than a LB or S can come in an make an instant impact. We drafted a NT, DE, ILB & OLB in last years draft, plus we signed Merriman to a long term deal. Why are people so sure that those guys in year 2 wont make a huge jump???

We have 9 picks.......why is it if the 1st one isnt used on a defensive player than we haven't addressed our need and the defense will suck again?

BertSquirtgum
04-13-2011, 10:14 AM
i've said it for about 3 months now. i can't wait until the Bills take aj green and everyone's head on this forum explode.

YardRat
04-13-2011, 10:16 AM
We have 9 picks.......why is it if the 1st one isnt used on a defensive player than we haven't addressed our need and the defense will suck again?

We need an impact player with our first pick, and we need him on the defensive side of the ball. The guy we get at #3 should be THE cornerstone of the D, and the players that we drafted/signed last year can be filled in around him. We've got more than enough 'fillers', we need studs.

Any offensive player we get isn't going to help us in stopping other teams from rushing for 200 yards or dropping 30+ points on the scoreboard.

TigerJ
04-13-2011, 10:58 AM
This is what I dont understand.........people want us to draft a rookie this season to help us this season. It's very rare that a rookie defensive player other than a LB or S can come in an make an instant impact. We drafted a NT, DE, ILB & OLB in last years draft, plus we signed Merriman to a long term deal. Why are people so sure that those guys in year 2 wont make a huge jump???

We have 9 picks.......why is it if the 1st one isnt used on a defensive player than we haven't addressed our need and the defense will suck again?You're right in that overall defensive players in a number of positions tend not to have an immediate impact. However, you would expect a player in the top five to have an impact regardless of position. Marcel Dareus would be the most likely defensive line prospect the Bills might consider at #3. I think the Bills would draft him expecting an immediate impact. He's got the body mass, quickness and strength already that some players need time to develop. He's had lots of experience in an elite college defense. He might not be at quite the ability level of Ndamakung Suh, but he's not all that far off, and Suh had an immediate impact.

TacklingDummy
04-13-2011, 11:04 AM
We've got more than enough 'fillers', we need studs.

Evans is overrated. Johnson could be a fluke. Green would not be a bad selection.

Saratoga Slim
04-13-2011, 11:16 AM
We need an impact player with our first pick, and we need him on the defensive side of the ball. The guy we get at #3 should be THE cornerstone of the D, and the players that we drafted/signed last year can be filled in around him. We've got more than enough 'fillers', we need studs.

Any offensive player we get isn't going to help us in stopping other teams from rushing for 200 yards or dropping 30+ points on the scoreboard.

If Dareus is there, it's a no brainer.

But other than him, do you see any front 7 players that you feel confident are cornerstone potential? I'm not sure I do. Von Miller, D'Quan Bowers, Nick Fairley - all have potential, but all have question marks.

If Dareus is gone, I really will not be surprised to see us pull the trigger on Patrick Peterson or AJ Green. At #3, need is not as important as ensuring that the guy you take is a difference maker. As you say above, we need studs. If studs are not available at our positions of greatest need, I think we should find one that we can use nonetheless.

But who knows, maybe OBD is really high on Miller, Bowers, or Fairley. I doubt Fairley, as I think we're more in the market for a 3-4 DE type or 3-4 OLB than DT.

Night Train
04-13-2011, 11:32 AM
I was listening to Buddy Nix last night and he said some things that got me thinking. He said they think Fitz is a really good QB and they just need to get some better people around him.

He also said he wants to draft a starter but also wants a guy that will help the team over the long haul and not what all these mock drafts say he should take.

AJ Green is a premier talent no doubt, and maybe I am just reading to much into it.

Pats got 18 total TD from 2 rookie TE's last season.

I think you're onto something. Let's list all the TE's on our current roster we believe in.

DraftBoy
04-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Pats got 18 total TD from 2 rookie TE's last season.

I think you're onto something. Let's list all the TE's on our current roster we believe in.

Who do you believe in TE wise?

better days
04-13-2011, 11:54 AM
This is what I dont understand.........people want us to draft a rookie this season to help us this season. It's very rare that a rookie defensive player other than a LB or S can come in an make an instant impact. We drafted a NT, DE, ILB & OLB in last years draft, plus we signed Merriman to a long term deal. Why are people so sure that those guys in year 2 wont make a huge jump???

Well there is certainly NO NEED at WR. The need is on defense & RT as well as QB.

ddaryl
04-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Rudolph at #34 would be a great score if he last that long. 1st rd WR's usually don't have much if any real immediate impact.

I still believe our weakness on the front 7 of our D trumps any possibility of picking up a WR at #3..... Maybe in a trade down scenario but I say we won't do it if we stay at #3

madness
04-13-2011, 12:03 PM

I agree completely. If Fitz is really our man for the moment, show him by giving him an elite WR or TE prospect and I can't think of a better target for Fitz's style than Green. The guy has tremendous ball skills, concentration, catch-in-crowd ability and a ridiculous catch radius. I believe this is a guy who could immediately become Fitz's favorite target.

Dareus and Peterson both may be gone and if there's nobody knocking to trade up... Green could very well be the pick.

Ed
04-13-2011, 12:06 PM
If Nix is looking to put better people around Fitz, I think he means O-lineman and a decent TE. I don't think he's talking about WR's. Fitz already showed he's got good chemistry with the WR's we have and can get them the ball. The best thing the Bills can do for him is give him better protection and be more of a force in the running game to take some pressure off of him.

YardRat
04-13-2011, 12:15 PM
If Dareus is there, it's a no brainer.

But other than him, do you see any front 7 players that you feel confident are cornerstone potential? I'm not sure I do. Von Miller, D'Quan Bowers, Nick Fairley - all have potential, but all have question marks.

If Dareus is gone, I really will not be surprised to see us pull the trigger on Patrick Peterson or AJ Green. At #3, need is not as important as ensuring that the guy you take is a difference maker. As you say above, we need studs. If studs are not available at our positions of greatest need, I think we should find one that we can use nonetheless.

But who knows, maybe OBD is really high on Miller, Bowers, or Fairley. I doubt Fairley, as I think we're more in the market for a 3-4 DE type or 3-4 OLB than DT.

I think Miller is a player that can make those around him better.

Bowers doesn't fit, regardless of injury concerns, and Fairley will probably turn into a flake.

I could live with Green or Peterson if both Miller and Dareus are off of the board and we can't find a partner to trade down, but I wouldn't be thrilled. Hell, I could probably go with a 'reach' at #3 also (Jordan or Watt), but I think they're a step below Dareus.

Saratoga Slim
04-13-2011, 12:26 PM

Bowers doesn't fit, regardless of injury concerns, and Fairley will probably turn into a flake.

I could live with Green or Peterson if both Miller and Dareus are off of the board and we can't find a partner to trade down, but I wouldn't be thrilled. Hell, I could probably go with a 'reach' at #3 also (Jordan or Watt), but I think they're a step below Dareus.

Miller would be my first choice too if Dareus is off the board. I'm not completely sold, but with the report that he's up to 250, I'm feeling better about him. Followed by Peterson, then Green.

I really don't think we're gonna take a QB at #3.

better days
04-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Evans is overrated. Johnson could be a fluke. Green would not be a bad selection.

Let's see, Evans is overrated & Johnson could be a fluke, Green would not be a bad selection.............because we all know there is no chance he is overrated or a fluke. He will be a sure 1st ballot HOF player or NOT.

Even if he turns out to be a great player, he will not see the ball very often when the Bills are on defense for 75% of the game because they drafted Green instead of defense.

streetkings01
04-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Let's see, Evans is overrated & Johnson could be a fluke, Green would not be a bad selection.............because we all know there is no chance he is overrated or a fluke. He will be a sure 1st ballot HOF player or NOT.

Even if he turns out to be a great player, he will not see the ball very often when the Bills are on defense for 75% of the game because they drafted Green instead of defense.This is my thing.........which DL in this draft do you see taking time away from Williams, Edwards or Johnson? There's a good chance Carrington and Troup take that next step since they have a year of NFL experience + NFL conditioning. All the guys that say we need to spend the #3 on a DL.........you do realize he'll be part of a rotation right?

Bangarang
04-13-2011, 03:19 PM
This is my thing.........which DL in this draft do you see taking time away from Williams, Edwards or Johnson? There's a good chance Carrington and Troup take that next step since they have a year of NFL experience + NFL conditioning. All the guys that say we need to spend the #3 on a DL.........you do realize he'll be part of a rotation right?

Dareus would probably start day 1. Our line would look something like...

Edwards/Williams/Dareus with Johnson, Troup, and Carrington (or whomever) subbing in.

X-Era
04-13-2011, 04:48 PM
i've said it for about 3 months now. i can't wait until the Bills take aj green and everyone's head on this forum explode.Not true.

tomz
04-13-2011, 05:11 PM

Fairley seems to have a similar vibe to that which Warren Sapp had whe he was drafted. I vaguely remember nobody questioned his talent but didn't he test positive for pot and have an attitude issue? Also, this whole 'one year wonder' deal: when did anyone really start looking at that as an issue? I guess times were simpler when there wasn't a microscope on every last thing anyone has done.

Long story short: Fairley could be impressive and I thought people talked about him as a possible 3-4 end as well.

TacklingDummy
04-13-2011, 06:14 PM

Even if he turns out to be a great player, he will not see the ball very often when the Bills are on defense for 75% of the game because they drafted Green instead of defense.

I'd rather see Green over Peterson. I just don't want another CB in the 1st round.