• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Buffalo's pick at 3 according to one AFC Scout

Todd McShay sat down with a NFC and AFC scout and asked them some questions on the draft. Here's what the AFC scout came up with about Buffalo at 3:

AFC scout: "For me it was Blaine Gabbert to Buffalo at No. 3. The upside and possible reward are higher with Cam Newton if everything comes together for him, but he's a bigger risk (and off the board), and I give Gabbert the edge at quarterback anyway.
    "The more difficult decision was taking Gabbert over Von Miller. The Bills need an impact pass-rusher almost as much as they need a quarterback and I actually grade Miller higher than Gabbert on my overall board. At the end of the day, though, the quarterback is the most important factor if a team is going to win it all, and Gabbert has all the tools to become a franchise-type quarterback."

Todd McShay ran through a mock first round with a pair of current NFL scouts and the result was plenty of interesting picks and varying opinions.

• mikemac2001
    is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
    • Mar 2003

Re: Buffalo's pick at 3 according to one AFC Scout

Blaine gabbert

Puke

Fix the d please

MUCK
    FIAMI

Comment

• X-Era
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by mikemac2001
      Blaine gabbert

Puke

Fix the d please
      Not mutually exclusive.

Comment

• Thurmal
        • Oct 2005

Good offensive and defensive lines are the most important factor if a team is going to win it all.

You can win a Super Bowl with a halfway decent QB if your o-line is awesome and you have a solid D. You don't necessarily need a future HOF'er.
        "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
          The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
          • Feb 2005

i like gabbert and hope we draft him
          that does not make me stupid or whatever
          I just do believe that it all starts with the qb and we need one
          ill not loos sleep over any pick though since we will still suck for at least 3 more years
          In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• split71
            • Jul 2006

I disagree with this scout...I think out of all the names mentioned at 3, he's towards the bottom of the list.

Comment

• whkfc
              Theres Fast Food, Then Theres KFC
              • May 2003

Yeah this team doesnt need a frqnchise qb. Fitzpatrick is more than capable of getting us to the promise land. 7-9 forever
              Last edited by whkfc; 04-13-2011, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Thurmal
                Good offensive and defensive lines are the most important factor if a team is going to win it all.

You can win a Super Bowl with a halfway decent QB if your o-line is awesome and you have a solid D. You don't necessarily need a future HOF'er.
                It isn't black and white IMO.

I don't think winning a Super Bowl in Buffalo requires a HOF'er... although the last time we sniffed it we had one. But I also see Fitz as a limiting factor regardless of how good we may get on defense. I think we need the foresight to predict accurately where he can and can't take us and work toward a better solution if the answer isn't a Super Bowl win.

I just haven't seen enough from Fitz to be convinced that he's all we need at the position. And if the Bills convince themselves they could be drafting that guy, they should do it.

Even if it's a risk, it's the method we have chosen for building our winner... risk is part of the equation regardless of the position.
                Last edited by X-Era; 04-13-2011, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• Mad Max
                  Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by X-Era
                  Todd McShay sat down with a NFC and AFC scout and asked them some questions on the draft. Here's what the AFC scout came up with about Buffalo at 3:

AFC scout: "For me it was Blaine Gabbert to Buffalo at No. 3. The upside and possible reward are higher with Cam Newton if everything comes together for him, but he's a bigger risk (and off the board), and I give Gabbert the edge at quarterback anyway.
                  "The more difficult decision was taking Gabbert over Von Miller. The Bills need an impact pass-rusher almost as much as they need a quarterback and I actually grade Miller higher than Gabbert on my overall board. At the end of the day, though, the quarterback is the most important factor if a team is going to win it all, and Gabbert has all the tools to become a franchise-type quarterback."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...odd&id=6344035
                  ESPN panel just talked about how Arizona is all over Blaine Gabberts nuts. The Bidwells apparently went to watch him workout. This is great news, we may have some leverage now to drop down the few spots some of us would prefer.

Drop down a few slots, pick up a 2nd rounder and do some damage. We can then take a Defensive stud in the first (Quinn, Fairley, Bowers), a TE (Rudoplh, Stocker) and OL (Pouncey, Sherrod) in the second. Maybe Golem (Kaepernick) in the third.

Best available from there on..we're much improved.

Comment

• baalworship
                    • May 2003

Von Miller or Blaine Gabbert will be the pick if the draft goes

1.Newton
                    2.Dareus

If we're going to roll the dice might as well do it with a QB over a linebacker. But if we pass on Gabbert I won't be upset. Afterall, it's Nix and Gailey's job on the line and I trust them to make an informed choice.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                      Will not tolerate vandalism.
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by whkfc
                      Yeah this team doesnt need a frqnchise qb. Fitzpatrick is more than capable of getting us to the promise land. 7-9 forever
                      That, of course, assumes Blaine Gabbert is a franchise QB. Most indications are he's not-- in fact, the suggestions I've seen is that he's pretty much Mr. Mediocrity.

Originally posted by Mad Max
                      ESPN panel just talked about how Arizona is all over Blaine Gabberts nuts.
                      Arizona, the same people that drafted Matt Leinart at #10. I wouldn't exactly trust their judgment.

Comment

• T-Long
                        Circling the Wagons since 1982.
                        • Sep 2003

That AFC scout must have been me! Gabbert at #3

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mad Max
                          ESPN panel just talked about how Arizona is all over Blaine Gabberts nuts. The Bidwells apparently went to watch him workout. This is great news, we may have some leverage now to drop down the few spots some of us would prefer.

Drop down a few slots, pick up a 2nd rounder and do some damage. We can then take a Defensive stud in the first (Quinn, Fairley, Bowers), a TE (Rudoplh, Stocker) and OL (Pouncey, Sherrod) in the second. Maybe Golem (Kaepernick) in the third.

Best available from there on..we're much improved.
                          perfect scenario if we can do that, pick up another 2nd and still take miller or whoever

Comment

• TigerJ
                            • Jul 2002

It's not my choice, but I understand it. In fact I've said, if Gailey and Nix are convinced that the QB who is still available at #3 (between Newton and Gabbert) is going to be a franchise type QB, they should pick him. I've also said, if they do and they're wrong, they'll pay with their jobs.
                            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Mad Max
                              Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
                              That, of course, assumes Blaine Gabbert is a franchise QB. Most indications are he's not-- in fact, the suggestions I've seen is that he's pretty much Mr. Mediocrity.

Arizona, the same people that drafted Matt Leinart at #10. I wouldn't exactly trust their judgment.
                              Who's trusting Arizona? I said THEY are reported to like him..which opens up the possibility of us trading out of our spot so THEY can draft him.

Comment

Working...
                              X