View Full Version : game 1 shut out!

Buffalogic
04-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Cant ask for more! Miller was great!

Crisis
04-14-2011, 09:10 PM
ugly win but i'll take it

montador was full of fail though....sekera needs to get back ASAP

the top 6 was bad and the bottom 6 was amazing....and of course miller was amazing

SabreEleven
04-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Kaleta SCORES!!!!!!!!!! where is LW when you need him

Dr. Lecter
04-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Clearly the Sabres should be starting Enroth.

It is obvious.

Slim
04-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Damnit let OP post in here. This isn't as fun.

Crisis
04-14-2011, 09:21 PM
it is great to steal a game on the road....but if the top 6 doesn't show up we're not gonna win this series.

Ebenezer
04-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Sabres were really tentative. Not a bad road game. Philly did a good job shutting down the top six, made a mistake and the Sabres took advantage. Sabres have to find a way to create opportunities for the top lines. Miller was incredible. Refs need to get a little bit more even handed.

PUCKER
04-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Miller had to be great since our Top guys couldnt score,but theyre going to need to start doing so and helping him out if we are to win this series,because I dont want to hear everyone complaining about Miller not making this or that save. ESPECIALLY since our guys miss this or that goals that should be!

trapezeus
04-14-2011, 11:01 PM
i'll take it. i don't care that the sabres opportunities were far and few in between. but the flyers only had a few opportunities as well. we capitalized; they didn't. Flyers will bring the physical on saturday. sabres need to respond. i was happy with that game 1 as long as everyone came out healthy.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-15-2011, 04:20 AM
ugly win but i'll take it

montador was full of fail though....sekera needs to get back ASAP

the top 6 was bad and the bottom 6 was amazing....and of course miller was amazing

How exactly is a game one win on the road ugly? They played a good game.

jcdavey
04-15-2011, 04:30 AM
exactly!

my habs got outshot to hell and back, but they're up 1-0!

woot

Crisis
04-15-2011, 04:31 AM

because other than the gaustad line our forwards lost almost every single matchup. the defense stepped up and the play in our own zone was pretty solid but they're extremely lucky to be up 1-0.... philly went 0-5 on the PP and that's not going to happen every game.

like i said, i'll take it....but the sabres aren't going to beat philly in a 7 game series when they're scrambling around in their own zone for more than the majority of the game.

jcdavey
04-15-2011, 05:10 AM
because other than the gaustad line our forwards lost almost every single matchup. the defense stepped up and the play in our own zone was pretty solid but they're extremely lucky to be up 1-0.... philly went 0-5 on the PP and that's not going to happen every game.

like i said, i'll take it....but the sabres aren't going to beat philly in a 7 game series when they're scrambling around in their own zone for more than the majority of the game.
fair point, but what the sabres need to do is chalk it up as a time when they made some mistakes but got a good win despite that, and then just fix the problems going forward, and come up with a gameplan to avoid same mistakes

like nfl games, ya just gotta adjust win or lose, all the time, to fix stuff that went wrong regardless of result

bill parcells was my favorite at pointing out mistakes after a win, and praising things his team did right after a loss

some of it (alot) was just not letting his players get too down, or too confident, but some of it was pure truth

Ebenezer
04-15-2011, 06:42 AM
i'll take it. i don't care that the sabres opportunities were far and few in between. but the flyers only had a few opportunities as well. we capitalized; they didn't. Flyers will bring the physical on saturday. sabres need to respond. i was happy with that game 1 as long as everyone came out healthy.

At one point in the 3rd the hits were 31-29 Philly. Flyers were physical and Buffalo responded. What I would like to see if more blocking of shots. Miller shouldn't have had to face 35, even if 10 of them were on the PP.

chernobylwraiths
04-15-2011, 07:00 AM
I thought the Sabres were fine with blocking shots. Did you see the stat that showed Philly took like 76 shots? It wasn't the shot blocking they lacked, it was any form of puck control. Philly controlled that game almost from start to finish. I don't know if the Sabres had any control of the offensive zone for more than a minute.

I'm with Crisis. If the Sabres continue to play that style of game, they won't win the series.

The King
04-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Congrats guys

SabreEleven
04-15-2011, 08:07 AM
I thought the Sabre turned the puck over way too much (13) but were in good position on those turnovers....kind of like that was their game plan...turn the puck over, DEFEND....

2slowtogofast
04-15-2011, 10:12 AM
we got a win and that is the most important thing. How we got it ugly or not does not matter at the end of the day. That being said hopefully we can improve for saturday night. One game at a time.

trapezeus
04-15-2011, 10:25 AM
At one point in the 3rd the hits were 31-29 Philly. Flyers were physical and Buffalo responded. What I would like to see if more blocking of shots. Miller shouldn't have had to face 35, even if 10 of them were on the PP.

but it was the quality of the shots too. Flyers shot more than 31 at the net. but miller was gobbling up first shots, and there were some where miller threw out a rebound, but the defense tied up everyone's sticks.

I agree, that game is not sustainable, but the sabres have been a very diverse team in the back 20.

When they needed to get into a shootout, the got into a shootout. if they needed to be stay at home neutral zone trapping type of team, they did that. I think if this game 2 swings another direction and requires something else from them, they'll make the changes.

Ebenezer
04-15-2011, 10:42 AM
I thought the Sabres were fine with blocking shots. Did you see the stat that showed Philly took like 76 shots? It wasn't the shot blocking they lacked, it was any form of puck control. Philly controlled that game almost from start to finish. I don't know if the Sabres had any control of the offensive zone for more than a minute.

I'm with Crisis. If the Sabres continue to play that style of game, they won't win the series.

I did not see that stat. :hockey:

trapezeus
04-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Clearly the Sabres should be starting Enroth.

It is obvious.

i think it is obvious that having enroth play the last week or so has given this team a renewed sense of what it means to tie up people's sticks in front of the net and stop the free for all shooting galleries that occured at the worst of times this season.

Miller was very good last night, but there were a couple rebounds he kicked out and was out of position, but the defense tied everyone up, let miller get back into the crease and they cleared the zone.

since enroth was back there, i think this defense first tone has worked a lot better. and i get the sense that the players are buying into it.

bosshogg21
04-15-2011, 11:15 AM
I did not see that stat. :hockey:

We had 16 blocked shots. Montador led with 3. I'd say that's pretty good, no?