PDA

View Full Version : my Opesque totally unbiased opinon of game 1

chernobylwraiths
04-15-2011, 06:01 AM
Philly choked this game away. Now, I did not see the whole game. I saw most of the third period due to a prior commitment, but I did DVR it and watched much of it after the game. Here are some random thoughts:

Which team is supposed to be the faster team? Buffalo, which has always had that small but fast moniker, looked small and sluggish. The Flyers were, pardon the pun, flying out there. It looked like 2/3s of the game was spent in the Sabres zone and Philly had good control of the puck. The Sabres, as usual, had trouble clearing the zone. If this continues, the Flyers won't keep missing the net.

Miller was good, but he didn't have to be spectacular. I didn't see a whole lot of dangerous plays where he came up with a huge save. Can't ask for more out of a goalie if the other team can't seem to make good shots. I did like his pushing Richards when he crashed the net in the first.

Defense. Fairly good overall. Montadour and Morrison were our worst pair and Montadour took a terrible penalty against Briere (although Briere should have been whistled for interference on the play). Otherwise, pretty solid at keeping shots to the outside, giving Miller a good view of the puck, and covering up or getting rid of loose pucks around the crease. Need to work on getting the puck out of the zone when pressured though.

Offense. Where was it. Seemed like the Gaustad line had the best offensive opportunities. Vanek line couldn't move around and Stafford line was virtually invisible. I can only hope to see the offense show up in the coming games.

Special teams. Penalty kill was about as good as you can get. Gaustad has to start buying sticks that aren't made out of particle board. I wish they could clear the zone a little better, but that is the only mild criticism of the penalty kill. Again, I didn't see the power play because I missed the game. I don't even know how many they had. I did notice one while fast forwarding through, but since it seemed as if they kept having to skate back into their own zone to pick up the puck, I'm glad I missed it. I guess I should be glad they didn't give up a shorty.

Random players:

Mike Grier: I thought he was one of our best players in last years playoff. He was not last night, but he DID lend a lot of physical play that the Sabres sorely lack. I'm hoping that he was just rusty, but even if I get that out of him every game, I'll take it.

Nathan Gerbe: Has kept up his tenacious play into the playoffs. The key man on the goal thought he won't get an assist. This kid has a real future if he plays like that all the time.

Ryan Miller: Only one puck got through him and it went wide. Solid play. Did everything he needed to. And I liked seeing him get feisty when he was run. Put himself out of position a couple times but it didn't cost him, this time.

Patrick Kaleta: Everything you expect from him plus a goal too. If he can stay within himself and not go out of his way to hit people, he will be a fan favorite and on this team for many years.

Tyler Myers: Solid game. Would like him to gain a few pounds so that he could be a totally immovable force, but is very good with the puck and a very good skater for a stork on skates. Seems to have gotten rid of his falling problems of earlier in the season.

YardRat
04-15-2011, 06:05 AM
Philly has some pretty good skill players, that's probably why they looked faster. This Flyer team isn't exactly any kind of reincarnation of the Broad Street Bullies by any means, especially without Pronger.

Ebenezer
04-15-2011, 06:40 AM
Philly choked this game away. Now, I did not see the whole game. I saw most of the third period due to a prior commitment, but I did DVR it and watched much of it after the game. Here are some random thoughts:

Very Opesque

Which team is supposed to be the faster team? Buffalo, which has always had that small but fast moniker, looked small and sluggish. The Flyers were, pardon the pun, flying out there. It looked like 2/3s of the game was spent in the Sabres zone and Philly had good control of the puck. The Sabres, as usual, had trouble clearing the zone. If this continues, the Flyers won't keep missing the net.

I haven't heard too many people this year say that Philly was a bunch of statues. That's a much different team out there.

Miller was good, but he didn't have to be spectacular.

He made some huge saves. He was tested way more than Bobrovsky (sp?)

Offense. Where was it. Seemed like the Gaustad line had the best offensive opportunities. Vanek line couldn't move around and Stafford line was virtually invisible. I can only hope to see the offense show up in the coming games

They were very tentative. This was classic Lindy "don't make the mistake" hockey. If he has them do that the rest of the way there won't be a "rest of the way".

Special teams. Penalty kill was about as good as you can get. Gaustad has to start buying sticks that aren't made out of particle board. I wish they could clear the zone a little better, but that is the only mild criticism of the penalty kill. Again, I didn't see the power play because I missed the game. I don't even know how many they had. I did notice one while fast forwarding through, but since it seemed as if they kept having to skate back into their own zone to pick up the puck, I'm glad I missed it. I guess I should be glad they didn't give up a shorty.

Five calls against Buffalo and one against Philly. That speaks volumes. If the refs continue like that it won't bode well. Philly should have had at least two penalties in the final five minutes of the game that the refs looked away from. Without the PK the Sabres would have been sunk. It was the strongest part of the game.

trapezeus
04-15-2011, 08:29 AM
i think the flyers will be much more physical saturday, but i'm not sure they choked.

Miller played well, but he only had a couple moments where he had to unbelievable. But he picked up most first shots, and defensemen cleared the net and/or miller didn't send out the rebound.

sabres played a really solid defensive game. Perhaps if it was a shootout, the team would have responded differently.

the 2 man pk was huge. i don't recall there being a great shot. I think they passed it a lot and the sabres didn't budge and they got the clear.

the gaustad full two minutes on the PK without a stick was maddening. but he blocked a shot, so give him credit for sticking with it.

Sabres offense needs to show up for sure. the ennis, boyes, stafford line looks so good on paper. They were underwhelming yesterday.

Stay out of the box and those guys see the ice more. gerbe sees the ice more.

Gaustad, gerbe, kaleta looked great. Connolly, Vanek and Pominville were fairly invisible but put out a decent effort. Connolly is pumping his legs.

Ebenezer
04-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Gaustad, gerbe, kaleta looked great. Connolly, Vanek and Pominville were fairly invisible but put out a decent effort. Connolly is pumping his legs.

But why were they invisible? Did they not show up and play, was Philly successful at neutralizing them with a checking line or was Lindy asking them to do something else that helped Buffalo win? As long as it was not the first then I am fine with their play.

trapezeus
04-15-2011, 11:01 AM
i think going to the box killed the flow the top 6 could have gotten as two units. the second period was lost with the number of penalties and the 2 man kill at one point.

Vanek looked like an odd ball early. he was all over the ice in a bad way. Ennis looked scared. so hopefully that's just jitters. and even by saying that they didn't look so good, both guys had 1 really good scoring chance.

stay out of the box, keep the lines rotating, and i think we see these guys come together.

i may have said this in this thread or another, but if the sabres score first in the first period on saturday, and the philly fans are as impatient as they were last night booing their team, it could get ugly for them.

and i'm all for ugly.

chernobylwraiths
04-15-2011, 11:51 AM
I guess I should have been a little more critical. I will rebut when I get a chance.

But you are all wrong, FYI.