PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo taxpayers will be paying the Bills to not play football

ddaryl
04-15-2011, 11:41 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Buffalo-taxpayers-will-be-paying-the-Bills-to-no?urn=nfl-wp946&mwp_success=NONJS_POST_SUCCESS#mwpphu-post-form

Here's a nice little piece of rag journalism that seems to do little more then defecate on Bills fans.

Personally I think the revenue the team creates via sales and local businesses, offsets the tax revenue used to maintain the ERIE COUNTY OWNED Stadium.

But reading the comments underneath the article really irritated me. I get tired of people attacking the city of Buffalo.

superbills
04-15-2011, 12:05 PM
People cry doomsday whenever they hear the word "taxes" mentioned around here. Context doesn't matter, utter the word "taxes" and people's heads start to explode.

ddaryl
04-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Here's how I calculate it. Someone correct me if I'm off

Bills tickets 70,000 per game
average price per ticket $80.

70K * $80 = $5,600,000

5.6 million * 7 games (not including preseason) = $39,200,000

$39.2 mil * $0.08 = $3,136,000 in tax revenue not including concessions, parking, and local business revenue/jobs that benefits from the Bills.

taxes are being used to upkeep Ralph Wilson Stadium, which is owned by Erie County, is bad ?

Seems to me more tax revenue is being generated then what is being spent. Not to mention local jobs created

clumping platelets
04-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Visiting team gets 40% of non luxury seating revenue

ddaryl
04-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Visiting team gets 40% of non luxury seating revenue

but I assume the taxes paid on tickets bought locally are taxed locally...

Although this probably skews my calculations considering a small portion of tickets are sold in other states, the majority are sold in NYS, and are taxed.

I don't think tax revenue is shared