X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Mock Draft 3.0

1. Carolina Panthers -- AJ Green -- WR -- Georgia -- Speculation is strong that a QB will go #1 but I think the Panthers want to guarantee themselves a PB player. Green is as much a sure thing as anyone in the draft. The other advantage is that Green can prolong Steve Smith's career. Its very possible that they have not given up on Jimmy Clausen just yet and surrounding him with weapons will improve his chances.

2. Denver Broncos -- Marcell Dareus -- DT -- Alabama -- You can lock this pick in because Denver is not going to pass on Dareus with the shape their DL is in. Dumervil is coming off injury and the rest of their line is filled with journeymen.
    He is a can't miss prospect and it will be key for Elway to hit on his first pick.

3. Buffalo Bills -- Cam Newton -- QB -- Auburn -- Its a no brainer pick here. Newton has a tremendously high ceiling, has all the tools a QB needs and much more and is a proven winner and leader. Buffalo has lacked all those qualities for years.

4. Cincinnati Bengals -- Tyron Smith -- OT -- USC -- Pass protectors will always be a premium and Cincinnati can use a true LT. Andrew Whitworth has been steady but never going to be a franchise LT that you never have to worry about or help out. Smith is smooth, athletic and has incredible measurables. Plus the other Smith (Andre) has been a disappointment and should probably kick inside to Guard much like Robert Gallery.

5. Arizona Cardinals -- Patrick Peterson -- CB -- LSU -- The Cards secondary has been bad for a long time. Even during their SB run it was their major weakness and probably the reason they lost in the end. Peterson gives them a true lockdown corner opposite the hot and cold DRC. Peterson is too good too good to slip to the Niners as many suspect he will. He is the most complete player in the draft and shouldn't get past the Cards.

6. Cleveland Browns -- Aldon Smith -- DE --Mizzou -- I was tempted to go with Julio Jones here but the Browns need to make smart picks this high in the draft. Choosing Smith gives them a true edge rusher that they have lacked lately. Smith has great length, athleticism and is a polished rusher. This may seem high but don't be surprised when Smith goes in the top 10.

7. San Francisco 49ers -- Von Miller -- OLB -- Texas A&M -- The only thing the Niners are missing up front is a true edge rusher. Miller is raw but is an incredible athlete that can get to the QB. If he hits his potential he will be the missing piece for the Niners defence.

8. Tennessee Titans -- Robert Quinn -- DE-- North Carolina -- Quinn makes perfect sense for the Titans. They are solid inside but have lacked a true pass rusher since Kearse. Quinn is a polished rusher with speed and power and should fit in nicely in Tennessee.

9. Dallas Cowboys -- Nick Fairley -- DE/DT -- Auburn -- Fairley slipped a little but I think it fits his value considering he is a one year wonder. Dallas has plenty of uncertainty at the DE position and will need to upgrade and replace players who left already (Canty) and players who may leave in the offseason (Spears).

10. Washington Redskins -- Blaine Gabbert -- QB -- Mizzou -- Gabbert shouldn't go any higher than 10 in my opinion and Washington, with Shannahan who loves mobile QBs will be pleased to see him drop.

11. Houston Texans -- Julio Jones -- WR -- Alabama -- Houston can really use some defensive help but Jones is too good to pass up here. Pairing him with the best WR in the game will cause nightmares for defences that also have to deal with Arian Foster. Who needs defence when you score at will.

12. Minnesota Vikings -- Prince Amukamara -- CB -- Nebraska -- The Vikings secondary has been a mess for a long time. With Rodgers, Cutler and Megatron in the division they need a true shutdown CB. Amukamara is an elite talent and can come in and start right away.

13. Detroit Lions -- Jimmy Smith -- CB -- Colorado -- Jimmy Smith is part of the best CB class to come out in a long long time and to me represents yet another shut down CB with his size 6'2 205 and 4.38 speed he is the prototype CB for the next generation. Detroit has struggled in the secondary for years and they need to match up with Aaaron Rodgers and Cutler.

14. St. Louis Rams -- JJ Watt -- DE -- Wisconsin -- Spags likes DL who are versatile that can rush from the inside and outside. Watt is a special athlete that has speed and power and certainly gives you versatility up front.

15. Miami Dolphins -- Ryan Mallett -- QB -- Arkansas -- Miami really doesn't have many needs when you look at the roster maybe RB and S, but other than that they have a solid roster. Mallett definitely has the arm to make any throw, anywhere on the field and he will have a receiver that can go get any ball in Marshall. I think this is a good fit especially with the solid running game Miami always has.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Ryan Kerrigan -- The Jags will never stop Manning without a pass rush. They missed on Derrick Harvey and Quentin Groves in prior drafts and they have yet to add a pass rusher. Kerrigan is Mr. Production and although he is sometimes labeled "high motor" I would say that his motor is german engineered. Kerrigan ran a 4.66 40 and had one of the fastest 10 yard split times at the combine with a 1.65. He will be productive in the NFL with his great technique and hand usage.

17. New England Patriots -- Cameron Jordan -- Cameron Jordan is a good fit with the Pats and their hybrid 3-4 defense. He is capable of playing the 5 technique or inside in a four man front. Many have Jordan going higher but I think 17-20 is a good spot for him to go.

18. San Diego Chargers -- Akeem Ayers -- DE/OLB -- UCLA -- Ayers improved his times at his workout recently which should solidify him as a 1st rounder. SD has really missed Merriman at ROLB and Ayers can help fill that void.

19. New York Giants -- Marvin Austin -- DT -- North Carolina -- I love these NC players and the Giants get a top 10 player in terms of talent at 19. Austin is simply disruptive and is a bull in the run game. The Giants run defense hasn't been the same since they lost Fred Robbins. Austin actually compares nicely to Robbins.

20. Tampa Bay Bucs -- Muhammad Wilkerson -- DT -- Temple -- The Bucs drafted Gerald McCoy last year but still need more power inside to complement the penetrating DT. A DE would have been nice here but the value isn't there. Liuget gives them a tough interior defender with the ability to disrupt the backfield.

21. Kansas City Chiefs -- Anthony Costanzo -- OT -- Boston College -- I'm not that impressed with Costanzo as many are but someone will take him in the first and this could be it. The Chiefs can use him at LT or RT and have a day one starter. How good he will be is the question.

22. Indianapolis Colts -- Derrick Sherrod -- LT -- Mississippi State -- Sherrod is good value here and fits one of the Colts top 2 needs. Manning was hit too often last season and they really have never filled the void left by Tariq Glenn. Sherrod is a natural LT and should be a day one starter.

23. Philadelphia Eagles -- Brandon Harris -- CB -- Miami -- Another value pick here and the Eagles need a CB either way. Harris is yet another of the talented CBs from this draft and can be compared to Dunta Robinson. Not as big as the other CBs that went before him but makes up for it with great instincts and a fiery attitude.

24. New Orleans Saints -- Cameron Heyward -- DE/DT -- Ohio State -- Just coincidence that Heyward ends up where his Dad played and was known as Ironhead Heyward. Cameron gives the Saints a dynamic DL that can help them inside against the run and can also line up at DE and give them a power end when they move into their 3-4 looks.

25. Seattle Seahawks -- Jake Locker -- QB -- Washington -- Locker stays at home and works under Pete Carrol who saw a ton of him while coaching the Trojans. Locker won't start day 1 but will be in a good situation playing behind Matt Hasselbeck for half a year to a year. Locker has plenty of tools to work with its just a matter of putting it together.

26. Baltimore Ravens -- Gabe Carimi -- OT -- Wisconsin -- Carimi is your typical Ravens OL. Big, tough and nasty. He isn't the smoothest of athletes but when he locks on the play is over.

27. Atlanta Falcons -- Cory Liuget -- DT-- The Falcons could use a strong interior defender that can also provide a pass rush. Liuget is a typical 3 technique DT who is also tough against the run.

28. New England Patriots -- Mike Pouncey -- OG -- Florida -- The Pats like to collect good football players and that is Pouncey. His brother was a PBer as a rookie and all indications are that Mike will be just as good. The Pats could use him at C or either of the G positions.

29. Chicago Bears -- Jonathan Baldwin -- WR -- Pitt -- Baldwin is a big fast WR with great leaping ability and body control. The Bears have really been lacking a big WR to compliment all their little guys and to give Cutler a true #1 guy.

30. New York Jets -- Aaron Williams -- CB -- Texas -- Its doubtful that the Jets will be able to resign Antonio Cromartie considering the other contracts they have to cover off and they understand the value of having 2 solid CBs in their backfield. Williams is another of the talented CBs this year and has great size at 6 ft 204 pounds.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Nate Solder -- OT -- Colorado -- Many will feel this is too low for Solder but I think the OTs taken ahead of him are better. Solder has plenty of talent but can be beat by speed easily at times. Either way the Steelers get a solid OT to plug in at either of the OT spots since they need help at both.

32. Green Bay Packers -- Mark Ingram -- RB -- Alabama -- How about a RB to close out the first round. The Pack get richer here with the top RB in the draft for a team that struggled to run the ball all year. So much for run and stop the run. Either way, Ingram gives them power and a great sense for finding the gap. He might have had an average 40 but his 10 yard split was impressive and that is critical for any RB.

Bills 34: Brooks Reed -- OLB -- Arizona -- One of my favorite players in the draft. Reed is just a pure baller. He can rush from anywhere along the line, displays great hands and proved at the combine that he has tremendous athleticism to go with it. 4.66 speed and and a 1.56 10 yard split. To put that into perspective, his first 10 yards is faster than Julio Jones, Von Miller, Dontay Moch and AJ Green. That is insane. If you have a chance to watch this kid you might confuse him with Clay Matthews.

Bills 3rd round: Quan Sturdivant ILB North Carolina
  • Bangarang
    • Sep 2010

Re: Mock Draft 3.0

You have some bold predictions to say the least.

Comment

• CleveSteve
      • Apr 2011

I like Reed in the second for the Bills, but there are a lot of head-scratchers in there...

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
        • Apr 2005

andre smith was hurt all his rookie season and was playing very well for Cincy as the season went on last year....I actually kinda agree with the AJ Green pick believe it or not

Comment

• CleveSteve
          • Apr 2011

#3 is far from a no-brainer

#4, #6, #9, #11, #14 all have me saying "What in the world?"

Comment

• tampabay25690
            • Feb 2004

Good effort....
            The way I look at it, it's not the mock I would do but you never know how it will go.....I still give you a A for effort....
            GO Gators!!!!!!
            GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Miami_Vice
              • Aug 2003

would love to get Mallet to the Fins.

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by CleveSteve

#4, #6, #9, #11, #14 all have me saying "What in the world?"
                Happens every year, teams take players high for positions who you figured they already had good players for.

I agree they are not your typical predictions but I'm trying to put myself in the GMs shoes, not predict based on what everyone thinks is logical.

Comment

• Philagape
                  WIN NOW
                  • Jul 2002

Newton has a tremendously high ceiling, has all the tools a QB needs
                  Does he have the ability to read NFL defenses, go through NFL progressions and learn an NFL-sized playbook? If there's doubts about these required tools, then it's a no-brainer that he's not worth third-overall.
                  "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                  2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Novacane
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by CleveSteve

Exactly what I thought. Newton is far from a "no-brainer" pick.

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Philagape
                      Does he have the ability to read NFL defenses, go through NFL progressions and learn an NFL-sized playbook? If there's doubts about these required tools, then it's a no-brainer that he's not worth third-overall.
                      I think its becoming a very overrated idea to suggest that because a QB played in a certain kind of offense that he can't learn to play a different way in the Pros.

Colt McCoy was supposed to struggle, Tebow was supposed to struggle too. Both did very well as rookies.

Cam is a ton more talented than both. Vince Young also had success in the NFL as a passer and runner. Vick is showing that you can learn a different offense as well even though he was a running QB.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                        Zero for Zero!
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mahdi
                        I think its becoming a very overrated idea to suggest that because a QB played in a certain kind of offense that he can't learn to play a different way in the Pros.

Colt McCoy was supposed to struggle, Tebow was supposed to struggle too. Both did very well as rookies.

Cam is a ton more talented than both. Vince Young also had success in the NFL as a passer and runner. Vick is showing that you can learn a different offense as well even though he was a running QB.
                        How did Tebow do very well?

He played 2 or 3 games. Not even close to enough to evaluate.
                        Originally posted by mysticsoto
                        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter
                          How did Tebow do very well?

He played 2 or 3 games. Not even close to enough to evaluate.
                          And he played well in those games.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                            Zero for Zero!
                            • Mar 2003

Here are Tebow's numbers:

41 comp
                            82 att
                            5 TDs
                            3 INTs
                            6 sacks
                            654 yards

43 rushes
                            227 yards
                            6 TDs
                            1 fumble

I am not sure that those numbers are doing very well
                            Originally posted by mysticsoto
                            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                              Zero for Zero!
                              • Mar 2003

Colt McCoy

135 comp
                              222 att
                              1576 yards
                              6 TDs