PDA

View Full Version : I am so sick of this "draft Gabbert at #3" crap!

jamze132
04-16-2011, 04:09 PM
This is ridiculous. There is not a QB in this draft that is truly worthy of a top 10 pick, yet because of the demand for QBs, every one of their status's has been elevated.

There weren't many folks on this board who even heard of the guy before all of the draft talk started. Why would anyone be all over his nuts now? The only reason people have even mentioned him as a top 5 pick is because there is no other QB worth taking that early! Cam Newton is in the same boat, but his athleticism is off the charts so I can see his status being upper first round.

I would much rather wait to draft a QB in RD2 or RD3. Of course we need a franchise QB but I seriously doubt that we will find one in RD1. We could more than likely get Andy Dalton or Ricky Stanzi or Jake Locker in RD2 who would provide much better value.

Our defense is the weakest link in the chain and there are two or three guys who will be available who should be able to step in from day 1. This QB class sucks right and we shouldn't pass up a top defender to take a fly on an overrated QB who shouldn't even be in the same sentence as top 10.

Buffalo Thriller
04-16-2011, 04:42 PM
This is ridiculous. There is not a QB in this draft that is truly worthy of a top 10 pick, yet because of the demand for QBs, every one of their status's has been elevated.

There weren't many folks on this board who even heard of the guy before all of the draft talk started. Why would anyone be all over his nuts now? The only reason people have even mentioned him as a top 5 pick is because there is no other QB worth taking that early! Cam Newton is in the same boat, but his athleticism is off the charts so I can see his status being upper first round.

I would much rather wait to draft a QB in RD2 or RD3. Of course we need a franchise QB but I seriously doubt that we will find one in RD1. We could more than likely get Andy Dalton or Ricky Stanzi or Jake Locker in RD2 who would provide much better value.

Our defense is the weakest link in the chain and there are two or three guys who will be available who should be able to step in from day 1. This QB class sucks right and we shouldn't pass up a top defender to take a fly on an overrated QB who shouldn't even be in the same sentence as top 10.

Thats a foolish thing to say.

methos4ever
04-16-2011, 05:05 PM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/4/16/2113753/2011-nfl-draft-cam-newton-buffalo-bills

Given all the intricacies of Chan's offense, should they draft someone at QB, I would hope that in time they'd be able to run all of it. Taking away all the side conversations, Mallett seems to be the one that would be able out of the "big" boys that could do so. However, at 3 that would not be ideal. Can Gabbert do that, given that Chan says he values accuracy and decision making first? I honestly don't know, but from what I've seen of him I worry he may not.

Raptor
04-16-2011, 05:10 PM
I dont want him at 3 but he is the favorite imo at this point

Jus goes to show you jus how much more important the QB position is compared to any other. Teams will reach, trade, scratch, claw like crazy to get one that they think can be a franchise

X-Era
04-16-2011, 05:20 PM

Our defense is the weakest link in the chain and there are two or three guys who will be available who should be able to step in from day 1. This QB class sucks right and we shouldn't pass up a top defender to take a fly on an overrated QB who shouldn't even be in the same sentence as top 10.I agree that players get over drafted at QB. But that's the way it is. And if that's the situation and you need one, you have to play along. The guys that are truly worthy of a top 3 pick go #1 overall. I don't think we will be picking there.

I get your take, I can understand it. But if we do take a QB at 3, it's because we think we can make him our franchise guy. Personally, I trust in Nix enough, and in Gailey's ability to coach enough that I'm fine with it.

And as much as I like the concept of getting the best value where you get a player worth more than where they are picked, you just can't do that at QB in the 1st round as we already discussed. Also, I'm tired of us not addressing the situation adequately. I want the best damn prospect possible at QB.

jamze132
04-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Well don't just say that, tell my why it's so "foolish". Come on, let's hear it.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-16-2011, 05:24 PM
im tired of waiting for a qb
draft one now
you'll rarely get a pick this high and youll not get a chance at the latest top qbs later in any draft
bradys are a once in a life time find
go gabbert

jamze132
04-16-2011, 05:25 PM
I agree that players get over drafted at QB. But that's the way it is. And if that's the situation and you need one, you have to play along. The guys that are truly worthy of a top 3 pick go #1 overall. I don't think we will be picking there.

I get your take, I can understand it. But if we do take a QB at 3, it's because we think we can make him our franchise guy. Personally, I trust in Nix enough, and in Gailey's ability to coach enough that I'm fine with it.

And as much as I like the concept of getting the best value where you get a player worth more than where they are picked, you just can't do that at QB in the 1st round as we already discussed. Also, I'm tired of us not addressing the situation adequately. I want the best damn prospect possible at QB.

X, You do not have to "play along" because QBs are being over-valued. That has been Buffalo's problem for the past few years; drafting a need way out of value.

I do not trust Nix or Gailey yet as they haven't proved anything yet. Please explain why you trust them so much.

You can want the best prospect at QB all you want, but it doesn't mean that the "best" prospect is worth a damn. The QB class sucks this year, especially the top guys who are being considered 1st rounders. I honestly have more faith in Stanzi and Locker than Gabbert.

jamze132
04-16-2011, 05:27 PM
draft one now
you'll rarely get a pick this high and youll not get a chance at the latest top qbs later in any draft
go gabbert
I understand your stance but you can't just draft a QB because we are drafting #3. There isn't a QB worthy of #3 in this draft.

X-Era
04-16-2011, 05:41 PM
X, You do not have to "play along" because QBs are being over-valued. That has been Buffalo's problem for the past few years; drafting a need way out of value.

I do not trust Nix or Gailey yet as they haven't proved anything yet. Please explain why you trust them so much.

You can want the best prospect at QB all you want, but it doesn't mean that the "best" prospect is worth a damn. The QB class sucks this year, especially the top guys who are being considered 1st rounders. I honestly have more faith in Stanzi and Locker than Gabbert.I trust Gailey so much because IMO he got way more out of Fitz then I expected.

As far as the quality of the class I disagree. I think both Newton and Gabbert could be special in the NFL. Both, to me, are top 15 picks. The only part I agree with is that they aren't as good as Luck. But again, Luck is going #1 overall... were not picking there. And even if he were in this draft, one or both could easily be ranked as worthy of the 3 pick still. My sense is that many don't want a QB in the 1st at all, in any draft if it isn't a sure-fire guy. And guys like that just don't drop they go first overall.

As far as playing along goes. Yes, you have to play along if you want a 1st round QB. They drafted so high because the need is so high. But again, I think one or both of these guys is worthy of the 3 pick.

CleveSteve
04-16-2011, 06:40 PM
OP is exactly right. There isn't a QB worth a top-10 pick in this draft.

And you shouldn't draft one just because you need one. That's how you end up with crappy QBs that your team sticks with for too long. Drafting a mediocre QB high in the first round is a guaranteed way to make sure you don't make the playoffs in the next 5 years.

The only QB in the draft who has a good chance of being significantly better than Ryan Fitzpatrick is Mallett, and he's a borderline nut job. Sure, maybe Kaepernick can be that guy, but it will take a couple years before he's ready to do that. Newton is a project. The guy played one year of significant college ball and did so in a funky offense. He is known for taking the easy way out (see: getting caught cheating 3x at Florida) and being in it for the money (see: wanting to be an entertainer/icon and the $180k.) What about that says "I want to hitch my team to this guy"?

CleveSteve
04-16-2011, 06:41 PM
X-Era, nobody was even talking about Gabbert until Luck said he was going back to school. I don't think he was a top-3 consideration when Luck was in the running.

YardRat
04-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Anybody in the top 10 that uses their pick on a QB deserves what they are going to get.

X-Era
04-16-2011, 07:26 PM
X-Era, nobody was even talking about Gabbert until Luck said he was going back to school. I don't think he was a top-3 consideration when Luck was in the running.Not true. You just didn't hear his name from main stream media. I think everyone thought he would go back to school.

Prov401
04-16-2011, 07:30 PM
draft one now
go gabbert

So what that we'll 'rarely get a pick this high'.

So because we're drafting in the top 3, we need to take a QB regardless of how good he may or may not be?

This year's crop of QB's are a bunch of potential. Aren't you sick and tired of picking potential? F*** potential, I want production. We need to draft a player that will be in the pro bowl for many years down the road. If you haven't noticed, our team sucks. It's not because of the QB play. It's because our defense can't stop anybody. Every single position can be upgraded on the Buffalo Bills. And QB isn't at the top of that list.

alohabillsfan
04-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Picking Gabbert at 3 will only mean that 3 years from now we will still need a franchise QB. Build the defense and Oline.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-17-2011, 07:05 AM
von miller will not impact every play in fact hell only impact a few plays a game
like manning, ray lewis-es are once in a decade finds and miller is no lewis and will not have a huge impact on the defense as ONE player
a qb will, as ONE PLAYER impact every offensive play
THATS what we need to draft
just my 2 cents and worth every penny :)

ddaryl
04-17-2011, 07:22 AM
I'm on the the "Rather have a QB in rd 2 or later" bandwagon...

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-17-2011, 07:32 AM
how many rd 2-3 qbs ever amount to anything more then a Fitz?
some maybe not many and rarely

T-Long
04-17-2011, 08:05 AM
All aboard the Newton wagonnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Philagape
04-17-2011, 08:07 AM

Yeah, for the worse

X-Era
04-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Yeah, for the worseOr better.

YardRat
04-17-2011, 09:17 AM
von miller will not impact every play in fact hell only impact a few plays a game
like manning, ray lewis-es are once in a decade finds and miller is no lewis and will not have a huge impact on the defense as ONE player

Biscuit had an immediate impact on Buffalo's D at one time....on every play, simply because he had to be accounted for by the offensive game plan on every play.

FlyingDutchman
04-17-2011, 09:43 AM

um no hes pretty spot on

Albany,n.y.
04-17-2011, 09:58 AM
The we have to draft a QB at 3 because we won't be drafting this high is the same thinking that was going on in regards to Clausen last year at #9, and the guy didn't go until after we picked in the 2nd round.
The problem is, just because the Bills are picking 3rd & Newton or Gabbert might be on the board at #3, it doesn't make either one a franchise QB, just like if we had picked Clausen at 9 last year, it wouldn't have made him a franchise QB.
Unless there's a guy like when Matt Ryan was picked #3 by Atlanta, because Parcells made a mistake not picking him #1, you don't go reaching for a QB just because you have the 3rd pick in the draft. Ryan was NFL ready & started from day 1. By virtually all scouting reports, neither Gabbert nor Newton are NFL ready-both are projects who need a lot of work on some basic fundamentals. You just don't draft a project QB at #3 just because of his physical attributes. If you want to draft a QB who is a project, that's what later rounds are for.
I don't know if there's a franchise QB in this draft, but I certainly wouldn't roll the dice & set the franchise back another 4 years drafting a project QB, who may never pan out, at #3. The Bills need a backup QB. Lets draft him in the 2nd or 3rd round and forget about trying to get the franchise QB at #3 when there may not be a franchise QB in this year's draft, and if by some lucky stab, that guy ends up being the franchise QB, so much the better.

X-Era
04-17-2011, 11:38 AM
The we have to draft a QB at 3 because we won't be drafting this high is the same thinking that was going on in regards to Clausen last year at #9, and the guy didn't go until after we picked in the 2nd round.
The problem is, just because the Bills are picking 3rd & Newton or Gabbert might be on the board at #3, it doesn't make either one a franchise QB, just like if we had picked Clausen at 9 last year, it wouldn't have made him a franchise QB.
Unless there's a guy like when Matt Ryan was picked #3 by Atlanta, because Parcells made a mistake not picking him #1, you don't go reaching for a QB just because you have the 3rd pick in the draft. Ryan was NFL ready & started from day 1. By virtually all scouting reports, neither Gabbert nor Newton are NFL ready-both are projects who need a lot of work on some basic fundamentals. You just don't draft a project QB at #3 just because of his physical attributes. If you want to draft a QB who is a project, that's what later rounds are for.
I don't know if there's a franchise QB in this draft, but I certainly wouldn't roll the dice & set the franchise back another 4 years drafting a project QB, who may never pan out, at #3. The Bills need a backup QB. Lets draft him in the 2nd or 3rd round and forget about trying to get the franchise QB at #3 when there may not be a franchise QB in this year's draft, and if by some lucky stab, that guy ends up being the franchise QB, so much the better.Your Clausen argument is actually the reverse. If Gabbert or Newton dropped to the 2nd round it would only tell you that the media was wrong and that all the teams had them rated much lower and that they agreed on it. So what does it tell you if both Gabbert and Newton do in fact go in the top 10 or even 5? It means that teams see what the media sees.

This argument is around the notion that the prospects are overrated. But if no team drafts the player as high as the media rates them than the teams didn't overrate them at all. Saying it another way, the teams set the value of the players, not us fans or the media. So if your looking to the media or us fans to give you how the teams will act on draft day, I think you may find that thats not the best move.

As I've said over and over, if Nix and Gailey are convinced that Gabbert or Newton is worthy of the 3 pick, I'm fine with it. And chances are also good that the other teams had a similar ranking on these guys. Sometimes you get volatility in the rankings between teams,b ut by what I see and hear, most seem uniform in their takes on Gabbert. And most seem to think he's a potential franchise QB.

And, what scouting reports are you reading? Mayock, Kiper, and McShay for example all think Gabbert has franchise potential and is worthy of a top 15 pick at least. Newton' stock is a bit more volatile but ranges anywhere from 16 to top 5. I think the only thing you will uniformily see out there is that no one thinks these guys are sure-fire. But again, sure-fire equals #1 overall pick... and in fact Newton could easily go there.

Honestly I feel like 80% of the opinions against drafting a QB at 3 have been the same for months and won't change regardless of whether a team, or the media thinks they are worthy or not. Some want another position, some want another player, some just don't like the guys. But it's not often a reflection of an accurate evaluation of their worth... we don't have that, the teams do.

djjimkelly
04-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Anybody in the top 10 that uses their pick on a QB deserves what they are going to get.

its like betting black or red in roulette

problem u still have 0 and 00

Extremebillsfan247
04-17-2011, 06:09 PM

If you can't find a franchise QB with the 3rd overall pick in the draft, your either not doing your homework on these prospects well enough, or there just simply isn't one anywhere. If the Bills feel like he is a prospect with that quality, and he is to be had at 3, they will no doubt draft him whether any of us like it or not. If there is even a shred of doubt among management that Gabbert can be a Franchise QB and they draft him anyway, then that tells you they aren't really as confident in Fitzpatrick as they claim to be, and picked out of hidden desperation. So, I don't think your wrong for not wanting him in Buffalo. But I'm still at a point of wait and see what happens on draft day. JMO

YardRat
04-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Honestly I feel like 80% of the opinions against drafting a QB at 3 have been the same for months and won't change regardless of whether a team, or the media thinks they are worthy or not.

The same can be said for the arguments for drafting a QB at #3.

X-Era
04-17-2011, 06:29 PM
The same can be said for the arguments for drafting a QB at #3.:clap: Absolutely true! I should have added that it's too late in the game for any opinions to really change.

alohabillsfan
04-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Or better.

Except Gabbert didnt even prove it at a lower level but somehow will be awesome as a pro? I question this reasoning.

X-Era
04-18-2011, 09:24 AM
Except Gabbert didnt even prove it at a lower level but somehow will be awesome as a pro? I question this reasoning.That's fine, feel free.

alohabillsfan
04-18-2011, 10:40 AM
That's fine, feel free.

Umm, I did...

X-Era
04-18-2011, 10:55 AM
Umm, I did...Just relaying that I don't mind.

Bill Cody
04-18-2011, 10:58 AM
If you can't find a franchise QB with the 3rd overall pick in the draft, your either not doing your homework on these prospects well enough, or there just simply isn't one anywhere. If the Bills feel like he is a prospect with that quality, and he is to be had at 3, they will no doubt draft him whether any of us like it or not.

I couldn't agree with this post any more.

Mr. Miyagi
04-18-2011, 11:04 AM

:bf1: I totally agree.

I don't hate Gabbert but you're right, I had never heard of him before Andrew Luck announced he was going back to school.

None of these QBs are worth the #3 for sure. Take BPA (that means not a QB) at #3 - Peterson, Miller, Dareus, or whoever is on the board, and wait for Round 2 or hell, even next year for a QB.

Mr. Miyagi
04-18-2011, 11:11 AM
This makes no sense. Why couldn't a good all-around defensive player impact ever defensive play like a QB does in every offensive play? Von Miller if he's as good as I think he is, he can rush, drop back to cover, and run support. How does that not have as much impact?

Bill Cody
04-18-2011, 11:12 AM
:bf1: I totally agree.

I don't hate Gabbert but you're right, I had never heard of him before Andrew Luck announced he was going back to school.

None of these QBs are worth the #3 for sure. Take BPA (that means not a QB) at #3 - Peterson, Miller, Dareus, or whoever is on the board, and wait for Round 2 or hell, even next year for a QB.

Gabbert isn't as raw as Newton but he's still raw. Luck is polished and better no debate there. But saying he's not Andrew Luck is not the same as saying he won't develop into a great player. Gabbert is probably rated top ten by most of the teams in the league based on potential. If you needed him to start day 1 he's not your guy though.

Mr. Miyagi
04-18-2011, 11:16 AM
I will puke my guts out and be furious if we drafted Newton at #3.

I will be somewhat disappointed if we drafted Gabbert at #3. Only because we could've had a much better player at another position.

I will be pretty happy if we grabbed Peterson at #3.

I will be significantly excited if we took Von Miller at #3.

I will absolutely shart my pants with utter joy if Dareus fell to us at #3.

X-Era
04-18-2011, 11:20 AM

I will be somewhat disappointed if we drafted Gabbert at #3. Only because we could've had a much better player at another position.

I will absolutely shart my pants with utter joy if Dareus fell to us at #3.:lol:

Mr. Miyagi
04-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Have I made myself clear yet? ;)

X-Era
04-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Have I made myself clear yet? ;)
Give this Gabbert video a look.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f436da/article/odd-that-projected-topfive-pick-garners-so-little-buzz?module=Draft_CP

And no, I'm not trying to change your mind.

Mr. Miyagi
04-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Yeah I've seen quite a bit on Gabbert already. Like I said, I don't hate him, but at #3 we have so much more needs on defensive than taking a QB that's not a sure thing.

jamze132
04-18-2011, 12:14 PM
If you can't find a franchise QB with the 3rd overall pick in the draft, your either not doing your homework on these prospects well enough, or there just simply isn't one anywhere. If the Bills feel like he is a prospect with that quality, and he is to be had at 3, they will no doubt draft him whether any of us like it or not. If there is even a shred of doubt among management that Gabbert can be a Franchise QB and they draft him anyway, then that tells you they aren't really as confident in Fitzpatrick as they claim to be, and picked out of hidden desperation. So, I don't think your wrong for not wanting him in Buffalo. But I'm still at a point of wait and see what happens on draft day. JMO
I agree with you. Fitz is not a franchise QB, he's a good back-up and great stop-gap until we find our man.

I am totally against drafting ANYONE at #3 that can't start immediately. I don't plan on drafting that high again so we need to nail the pick, regardless of who it is. But I'm not sure drafting a QB at #3 who will sit for at least a year or 2 is the answer at all.

jamze132
04-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Give this Gabbert video a look.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f436da/article/odd-that-projected-topfive-pick-garners-so-little-buzz?module=Draft_CP

And no, I'm not trying to change your mind.

We can find "positive" video for just about anyone eligible in the draft.

CleveSteve
04-18-2011, 12:35 PM
We can find "positive" video for just about anyone eligible in the draft.

I've seen highlight reels of Chad Spann and Byron Maxwell that make them look like 1st-rounders. There's a good chance neither is drafted.

X-Era
04-18-2011, 12:38 PM
We can find "positive" video for just about anyone eligible in the draft.My comments are intended for anyone interested in continuing to take in information on these prospects.

jamze132
04-18-2011, 12:57 PM
My comments are intended for anyone interested in continuing to take in information on these prospects.
Is someone "encouraging" you to be all over Gabbert? I just thought that you wouldn't have been sucked into the hype caused by a lack of options at QB in this draft.

baalworship
04-18-2011, 01:05 PM
I have heard a lot of comparisons of Gabbert to Matt Ryan. We could do a lot worse with the 3rd pick. Also, Ryan went 3rd overall.

X-Era
04-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Is someone "encouraging" you to be all over Gabbert? I just thought that you wouldn't have been sucked into the hype caused by a lack of options at QB in this draft.I have been a Gabbert fan for many months now. To me there is no lack of options at QB, just not the sure-fire type that so many want and yet we aren't likely to ever be able to pick.

X-Era
04-18-2011, 01:24 PM
I have heard a lot of comparisons of Gabbert to Matt Ryan. We could do a lot worse with the 3rd pick. Also, Ryan went 3rd overall.Could have similar success. There were folks even on here who didn't think Ryan was a franchise caliber prospect. I'd take him right about now over Fitz. Just me.

justasportsfan
04-18-2011, 01:36 PM
I have heard a lot of comparisons of Gabbert to Matt Ryan. We could do a lot worse with the 3rd pick. Also, Ryan went 3rd overall.

Ekn Wisenhunt does not agree.
“There are a lot of guys that are intriguing athletically like Blaine Gabbert, like Cam Newton, because of the skill set, some of the things they can do. But I don’t think they have shown the ability to do some of the things that you have seen in the past by some of these guys like a Matt Ryan or, obviously, like a Sam Bradford.”

alohabillsfan
04-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Gabbert will bust.... Mark it down IMPO

Extremebillsfan247
04-18-2011, 02:00 PM
I agree with you. Fitz is not a franchise QB, he's a good back-up and great stop-gap until we find our man.

I am totally against drafting ANYONE at #3 that can't start immediately. I don't plan on drafting that high again so we need to nail the pick, regardless of who it is. But I'm not sure drafting a QB at #3 who will sit for at least a year or 2 is the answer at all.
I think this years draft will be a little better than last years. Nix and Gailey kind of went into last years draft cold. Now they have a pretty good sense of the the definition and make up of the current team. It makes their job easier in determining positions of greater need etc. They have a focal point now that they didn't have at this time last year and with a much better vantage point. We should do pretty good. In my opinion, if you base your mock draft on greatest need to least, you will probably be pretty close in assessing how they pick on draft day.

SABURZFAN
04-18-2011, 04:20 PM

I will absolutely shart my pants with utter joy if Dareus fell to us at #3.

with the exception of the sharting, i'm with Miyagi on this one.