I am so sick of this "draft Gabbert at #3" crap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

I am so sick of this "draft Gabbert at #3" crap!

This is ridiculous. There is not a QB in this draft that is truly worthy of a top 10 pick, yet because of the demand for QBs, every one of their status's has been elevated.

There weren't many folks on this board who even heard of the guy before all of the draft talk started. Why would anyone be all over his nuts now? The only reason people have even mentioned him as a top 5 pick is because there is no other QB worth taking that early! Cam Newton is in the same boat, but his athleticism is off the charts so I can see his status being upper first round.

I would much rather wait to draft a QB in RD2 or RD3. Of course we need a franchise QB but I seriously doubt that we will find one in RD1. We could more than likely get Andy Dalton or Ricky Stanzi or Jake Locker in RD2 who would provide much better value.

Our defense is the weakest link in the chain and there are two or three guys who will be available who should be able to step in from day 1. This QB class sucks right and we shouldn't pass up a top defender to take a fly on an overrated QB who shouldn't even be in the same sentence as top 10.
  • Buffalo Thriller
    • Sep 2010

Re: I am so sick of this "draft Gabbert at #3" crap!

Originally posted by jamze132
    This is ridiculous. There is not a QB in this draft that is truly worthy of a top 10 pick, yet because of the demand for QBs, every one of their status's has been elevated.

There weren't many folks on this board who even heard of the guy before all of the draft talk started. Why would anyone be all over his nuts now? The only reason people have even mentioned him as a top 5 pick is because there is no other QB worth taking that early! Cam Newton is in the same boat, but his athleticism is off the charts so I can see his status being upper first round.

I would much rather wait to draft a QB in RD2 or RD3. Of course we need a franchise QB but I seriously doubt that we will find one in RD1. We could more than likely get Andy Dalton or Ricky Stanzi or Jake Locker in RD2 who would provide much better value.

Our defense is the weakest link in the chain and there are two or three guys who will be available who should be able to step in from day 1. This QB class sucks right and we shouldn't pass up a top defender to take a fly on an overrated QB who shouldn't even be in the same sentence as top 10.

Thats a foolish thing to say.
    Originally posted by OpIv37
    You guys, the solution is so simple. Find the crazy kids who are shooting up the schools and have them shoot people getting off planes from West Africa.

No more school shootings, no more Ebola.

Obama would have thought of this already if he wasn't a pinko commie Nazi queer-loving wetback-loving Kenyan Indonesian Muslim.

Comment

• methos4ever
      • Apr 2004

Breaking down Auburn QB Cam Newton and how he'd fit into the offense Chan Gailey ran in 2010.

Given all the intricacies of Chan's offense, should they draft someone at QB, I would hope that in time they'd be able to run all of it. Taking away all the side conversations, Mallett seems to be the one that would be able out of the "big" boys that could do so. However, at 3 that would not be ideal. Can Gabbert do that, given that Chan says he values accuracy and decision making first? I honestly don't know, but from what I've seen of him I worry he may not.

Comment

• Raptor
        • Jan 2009

I dont want him at 3 but he is the favorite imo at this point

Jus goes to show you jus how much more important the QB position is compared to any other. Teams will reach, trade, scratch, claw like crazy to get one that they think can be a franchise

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

I agree that players get over drafted at QB. But that's the way it is. And if that's the situation and you need one, you have to play along. The guys that are truly worthy of a top 3 pick go #1 overall. I don't think we will be picking there.

I get your take, I can understand it. But if we do take a QB at 3, it's because we think we can make him our franchise guy. Personally, I trust in Nix enough, and in Gailey's ability to coach enough that I'm fine with it.

And as much as I like the concept of getting the best value where you get a player worth more than where they are picked, you just can't do that at QB in the 1st round as we already discussed. Also, I'm tired of us not addressing the situation adequately. I want the best damn prospect possible at QB.
          Last edited by X-Era; 04-16-2011, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• jamze132
            Don’t hate…
            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Buffalo Thriller
            Thats a foolish thing to say.
            Well don't just say that, tell my why it's so "foolish". Come on, let's hear it.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
              The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
              • Feb 2005

im tired of waiting for a qb
              draft one now
              you'll rarely get a pick this high and youll not get a chance at the latest top qbs later in any draft
              bradys are a once in a life time find
              go gabbert
              In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• jamze132
                Don’t hate…
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by X-Era
                I agree that players get over drafted at QB. But that's the way it is. And if that's the situation and you need one, you have to play along. The guys that are truly worthy of a top 3 pick go #1 overall. I don't think we will be picking there.

I get your take, I can understand it. But if we do take a QB at 3, it's because we think we can make him our franchise guy. Personally, I trust in Nix enough, and in Gailey's ability to coach enough that I'm fine with it.

And as much as I like the concept of getting the best value where you get a player worth more than where they are picked, you just can't do that at QB in the 1st round as we already discussed. Also, I'm tired of us not addressing the situation adequately. I want the best damn prospect possible at QB.
                X, You do not have to "play along" because QBs are being over-valued. That has been Buffalo's problem for the past few years; drafting a need way out of value.

I do not trust Nix or Gailey yet as they haven't proved anything yet. Please explain why you trust them so much.

You can want the best prospect at QB all you want, but it doesn't mean that the "best" prospect is worth a damn. The QB class sucks this year, especially the top guys who are being considered 1st rounders. I honestly have more faith in Stanzi and Locker than Gabbert.

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Why so Serious?
                  draft one now
                  you'll rarely get a pick this high and youll not get a chance at the latest top qbs later in any draft
                  go gabbert
                  I understand your stance but you can't just draft a QB because we are drafting #3. There isn't a QB worthy of #3 in this draft.

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

X, You do not have to "play along" because QBs are being over-valued. That has been Buffalo's problem for the past few years; drafting a need way out of value.

I do not trust Nix or Gailey yet as they haven't proved anything yet. Please explain why you trust them so much.

You can want the best prospect at QB all you want, but it doesn't mean that the "best" prospect is worth a damn. The QB class sucks this year, especially the top guys who are being considered 1st rounders. I honestly have more faith in Stanzi and Locker than Gabbert.
                    I trust Gailey so much because IMO he got way more out of Fitz then I expected.

As far as the quality of the class I disagree. I think both Newton and Gabbert could be special in the NFL. Both, to me, are top 15 picks. The only part I agree with is that they aren't as good as Luck. But again, Luck is going #1 overall... were not picking there. And even if he were in this draft, one or both could easily be ranked as worthy of the 3 pick still. My sense is that many don't want a QB in the 1st at all, in any draft if it isn't a sure-fire guy. And guys like that just don't drop they go first overall.

As far as playing along goes. Yes, you have to play along if you want a 1st round QB. They drafted so high because the need is so high. But again, I think one or both of these guys is worthy of the 3 pick.

Comment

• CleveSteve
                      • Apr 2011

OP is exactly right. There isn't a QB worth a top-10 pick in this draft.

And you shouldn't draft one just because you need one. That's how you end up with crappy QBs that your team sticks with for too long. Drafting a mediocre QB high in the first round is a guaranteed way to make sure you don't make the playoffs in the next 5 years.

The only QB in the draft who has a good chance of being significantly better than Ryan Fitzpatrick is Mallett, and he's a borderline nut job. Sure, maybe Kaepernick can be that guy, but it will take a couple years before he's ready to do that. Newton is a project. The guy played one year of significant college ball and did so in a funky offense. He is known for taking the easy way out (see: getting caught cheating 3x at Florida) and being in it for the money (see: wanting to be an entertainer/icon and the $180k.) What about that says "I want to hitch my team to this guy"?

Comment

• CleveSteve
                        • Apr 2011

X-Era, nobody was even talking about Gabbert until Luck said he was going back to school. I don't think he was a top-3 consideration when Luck was in the running.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Anybody in the top 10 that uses their pick on a QB deserves what they are going to get.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by CleveSteve
                            X-Era, nobody was even talking about Gabbert until Luck said he was going back to school. I don't think he was a top-3 consideration when Luck was in the running.
                            Not true. You just didn't hear his name from main stream media. I think everyone thought he would go back to school.

Comment

• Prov401
                              President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Why so Serious?
                              draft one now
                              go gabbert
                              So what that we'll 'rarely get a pick this high'.

So because we're drafting in the top 3, we need to take a QB regardless of how good he may or may not be?

This year's crop of QB's are a bunch of potential. Aren't you sick and tired of picking potential? F*** potential, I want production. We need to draft a player that will be in the pro bowl for many years down the road. If you haven't noticed, our team sucks. It's not because of the QB play. It's because our defense can't stop anybody. Every single position can be upgraded on the Buffalo Bills. And QB isn't at the top of that list.

Comment

Working...
                              X