PDA

View Full Version : How many here think Nix/Gailey can be trusted to make the right call?

Bill Cody
04-18-2011, 11:26 AM
There's question marks with Newton/Gabbert/Miller. There's questions about taking another corner in Peterson. There's questions about taking a skill player like Green. But we all know Nix and Gailey have worked hard to get this thing right. The question is this: knowing they have more info (a lot more) at their disposal than we do who will knee jerk oppose the pick if it isn't the guy we would have chosen or "in Nix/Gailey we trust"? A simple yes or no will suffice.

Mr. Miyagi
04-18-2011, 11:31 AM
It basically comes down to this.

If they end up taking a player you want, you trust them.

If they end up taking a player you hate, you will question them because you trust yourself more.

k-oneputt
04-18-2011, 11:38 AM
They took a rb with the 9th pick last year. That alone has to have you wondering since the importance of rb's in todays NFL is minimal.
They then followed it up by overdrafting two dl from smaller schools who contributed nothing.
If they take a wr or db just go throw the towel in.

Ebenezer
04-18-2011, 11:46 AM
I won't be able to trust them until I see the player chosen, especially at #3, develop and become a great player - somebody picked at #3 should have the potential to be a star. That being said, is this a strong draft or one that we look back on five years and say the guys were a bunch of putzes?

X-Era
04-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Although your wording is too strong I voted, yes, I trust them.

Miyagi has it nailed. If you don't like the pick on draft day, chances are good you won't trust the pick until proven differently.

Look, I get it. Just like everyone else, I have my favorites. But, I think the fans take it a bit too far. The Bills will get blasted for taking Gabbert ,if the go that route because some think he isn't worth the 3 pick. And what if thats true and he's only worth the 15 pick. In 3 years from now, if he wins us enough games to get us into the playoffs or beyond, does it really matter?

And the flip side is also true. If they draft him and he fails, he fails... Is it somehow OK if we had taken him at 15? Or in the 2nd? or the 3rd?

And the biggest point is this. I don't think any of us has enough information to make the choice for them. We simply don't know enough about what offense these guys really ran, what the plays were, what the coaches really thought, what the team mates thought, or what type of person they are really.

So the truth is the teams are best equipped to make the pick and still could end up getting a dud. But they are best suited to make the decision.

justasportsfan
04-18-2011, 11:49 AM
I trust him as a talent evaluator but as a GM , jury is still out.

Ebenezer
04-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Although your wording is too strong I voted, yes, I trust them.

Miyagi has it nailed. If you don't like the pick on draft day, chances are good you won't trust the pick until proven differently.

Look, I get it. Just like everyone else, I have my favorites. But, I think the fans take it a bit too far. The Bills will get blasted for taking Gabbert ,if the go that route because some think he isn't worth the 3 pick. And what if thats true and he's only worth the 15 pick. In 3 years from now, if he wins us enough games to get us into the playoffs or beyond, does it really matter?

And the flip side is also true. If they draft him and he fails, he fails... Is it somehow OK if we had taken him at 15? Or in the 2nd? or the 3rd?

And the biggest point is this. I don't think any of us has enough information to make the choice for them. We simply don't know enough about what offense these guys really ran, what the plays were, what the coaches really thought, what the team mates thought, or what type of person they are really.

So the truth is the teams are best equipped to make the pick and still could end up getting a dud. But they are best suited to make the decision.
All you said is true...but pick somebody who actually has a chance to contribute. Aaron Maybin? I nearly chucked the remote at the TV with Oher still sitting there. CJ Spiller? Running backs are a dime a dozen. He was the LAST player the Bills needed to take.

THATHURMANATOR
04-18-2011, 11:51 AM
They need to prove themselves to me BIG TIME!!!! WE NEED RESULTS!!!

justasportsfan
04-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Aaron Maybin? I nearly chucked the remote at the TV with Oher still sitting there. .
he didn't draft Maybin. Jauron did.

OpIv37
04-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Based on what they've done with the Bills so far, I have more trust in Gailey than Nix. I'm still waiting for Nix to do one thing that impresses me- just one.

Historian
04-18-2011, 12:13 PM
I don't think its a question of who you like vs who they like.

If they fill a glaring need with #3, I'll be happy....ie, O line...D line, etc.

Draft more smurf WRS or another scatback and Ill be poed.

It seemed like each year during the Decade of Dismality, we either reached for a marginal talent, (Whitner) or took a player we simply did not need. (Parrish, McGahee)

Last year, we take a gamebreaker that was barely on the field....and you almost knew it was going to play out like that.

Those types of picks make me want to pull my hair out.

How could we be such shrewd evaluators and drafters in the 80s and 90s, then all the sudden it goes to hell?

X-Era
04-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Based on what they've done with the Bills so far, I have more trust in Gailey than Nix. I'm still waiting for Nix to do one thing that impresses me- just one.Arthur Moats doesn't count? David Nelson? This is a make or break draft for Nix and Gailey IMO. It's this class that will determine their fate more than any other. They will need to show significant improvement as a team from two drafts worth of prospects. They need to nail this and make steps forward. These prospects and last years is what this regime will be judged on, not next years rookies as much.

Ebenezer
04-18-2011, 12:40 PM
I don't think its a question of who you like vs who they like.

If they fill a glaring need with #3, I'll be happy....ie, O line...D line, etc.

Draft more smurf WRS or another scatback and Ill be poed.

It seemed like each year during the Decade of Dismality, we either reached for a marginal talent, (Whitner) or took a player we simply did not need. (Parrish, McGahee)

Last year, we take a gamebreaker that was barely on the field....and you almost knew it was going to play out like that.

Those types of picks make me want to pull my hair out.

How could we be such shrewd evaluators and drafters in the 80s and 90s, then all the sudden it goes to hell?
Because the guys that were here in the 80s & 90s followed Butler to SD.

djjimkelly
04-18-2011, 12:46 PM
i completely trust buddy nix his overall track record should not be questioned.

i truly hated the spiller pick last year however buddys career track record is very impressive and i have no doubt he knows what he is doing

and who knows spiller might change my mind this year but id never draft a rb in the first round ever if i was a GM

Dr. Lecter
04-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Not at all.

Why would I? What have they done to make me think so?

Dr. Lecter
04-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Arthur Moats doesn't count? David Nelson? This is a make or break draft for Nix and Gailey IMO. It's this class that will determine their fate more than any other. They will need to show significant improvement as a team from two drafts worth of prospects. They need to nail this and make steps forward. These prospects and last years is what this regime will be judged on, not next years rookies as much.

Moats really did not do all that much last year. He was OK for a late round pick, but is by no means some kind of star.

ddaryl
04-18-2011, 12:48 PM
I have faith in Nix and Gailey to get this thing turned around....

Although I didn't really care for the Spiller pick... they still did a pretty good job overall in last years draft IMO..

They also got rid of a lot of dead weight.... We might not have won lots of games last year, but I actually enjoyed watching the team more last year then I have in a while.

a 40% roster turnover in their 1st year makes it harder to win more games...

Historian
04-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Yes, and the organization squeezed Dwight Addams into retirement.

I understand that.

My question is: How do we go from drafting near perfection (Hell, even Jerry Crafts made the roster, lol) to complete drafting stupidity, ala Aaron Maybin?

That I don't get.

baalworship
04-18-2011, 12:50 PM

Right. And one of those guys was Buddy Nix who is now back in Buffalo and running our draft.

ddaryl
04-18-2011, 12:51 PM
All you said is true...but pick somebody who actually has a chance to contribute. Aaron Maybin? I nearly chucked the remote at the TV with Oher still sitting there. CJ Spiller? Running backs are a dime a dozen. He was the LAST player the Bills needed to take.

CJ SPiller wasn't my pick either....

BUT Aaron Maybin was picked by Russ Brandon / Jauron basically... Nix was merely a scout....

ServoBillieves
04-18-2011, 12:51 PM
I like what Nix/Gailey did with picking up as many falloffs as possible. That sounds awful worded that way... but it's better than nothing. Evaluating talent when you've only had one draft and then evaluating what other teams figured might be valuable seems better than what the other morons did.

When it comes to this draft? I sincerely pray that I am wrong when I say no, I don't trust them. If Gabbert or Newton is the pick at 3, I will be upset THIS YEAR. That being said, this is coming from a Bills fan who, let's face it ALL of us, wants to win ASAP. I believe that Miller, Dareus, anyone who can start day 1 is a good pick this year, but when we're drafting projects, I'm not a fan.

Let's right this ship ASAP, through the draft and through FA, which, the players are screwing themselves over by disbanding. I'd have much more faith in this draft if we had free agent pick ups.

PromoTheRobot
04-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Nix I trust. Gailey I trust. Ralph Wilson?? Not so much.

PTR

ddaryl
04-18-2011, 12:53 PM

I understand that.

My question is: How do we go from drafting near perfection (Hell, even Jerry Crafts made the roster, lol) to complete drafting stupidity, ala Aaron Maybin?

That I don't get.
it started with the firing of Polian.... then the stupid contracts Butler was handing out to players and his trade ofr Rob Johnson short armed us, but we still drafted semi well., however we still made Erik Flowers a 1st rd dud... Butler wasted lots of money on bizzare contracts so some vets were left to leave which began our downward spiral as we know it today

Then we brought in Tom Donahue who did plenty of stupid things. McGahee was a waste pick

followed by years of no GM and Russ Brandon

the common denominator in all these decisions was RALPH WILSON

NOT THE DUDE...
04-18-2011, 01:00 PM
cant wait to see this board when the take cameron jordan at 3...lol

better days
04-18-2011, 01:35 PM

True, but Nix is back. I think he was the evaluator under Butler not Smith. The Chargers have not drafted well since Nix left them.

YardRat
04-18-2011, 01:57 PM

Yes, failure is slightly more acceptable from a third-rounder than a first-rounder. Especially at 3 or 15.

YardRat
04-18-2011, 01:58 PM

What? No 'It's all Ralph's fault?" comment? Are you going soft?

YardRat
04-18-2011, 02:00 PM

I understand that.

That I don't get.

:rofl:

Stupidity is over your head. That says a lot :D

Novacane
04-18-2011, 02:01 PM
No I don't trust them. They don't have a track record here yet. Until they do
I don't trust them. Now, if Newton is there at 3 and they pass my trust in them
will go way way up!

Ebenezer
04-18-2011, 02:02 PM
True, but Nix is back. I think he was the evaluator under Butler not Smith. The Chargers have not drafted well since Nix left them.
Nix is one man...the whole staff has turned over.

EDS
04-18-2011, 02:09 PM
I don't trust them. These are the reasons:

1. The way in which Ralph went about hiring a GM (i.e., Buddy) was highly suspect as no other candidates were considered.

2. Why would a rebuilding team hire a 70 year old GM?

3. The first draft effort by Buddy was underwhelming.

4. Buddy's first year of free agent signings was underwhelming.

5. I don't believe Chan's pass first offense is a solid platform for consistent winning.

6. I think Chan has put together a very unimpressive coaching staff.

justasportsfan
04-18-2011, 02:18 PM
5. I don't believe Chan's pass first offense is a solid platform for consistent winning.

Chans been known to run the ball first with past teams. Don't think that will be his offensive mentallity.

YardRat
04-18-2011, 02:21 PM
I don't trust them. These are the reasons:

1. The way in which Ralph went about hiring a GM (i.e., Buddy) was highly suspect as no other candidates were considered.

Can't be true, unless the team violated the Rooney Rule, and considering it was extended to GM's approx. 6 months prior to Nix's hiring I would be surprised if the league just looked the other way.

2. Why would a rebuilding team hire a 70 year old GM?

Because he has shown a knack for drafting talent, and to help get a team on the right track while the young guy (Whaley) works his way into the regular GM position eventually.

3. The first draft effort by Buddy was underwhelming.

Too early to pass complete judgement.

4. Buddy's first year of free agent signings was underwhelming.

Edwards was OK, the LBers certainly nothing special, but it was a light year for talent in FA.

I don't mind pass-first, but the lack of a true power running game is disturbing. Pass to set up the run is one thing, but you still have to be able to grind it out on the ground, especially late in games and in bad weather.

6. I think Chan has put together a very unimpressive coaching staff.

No argument there...biggest disappointment IMO so far, especially in regards to the coordinators positions.

bf1
04-18-2011, 02:33 PM
I'm not happy with Nix at all. Mostly with his handling of free agency. I'm not sure it's his fault or what since this "build through the draft" strategy was in place before he arrived.

bf1
04-18-2011, 02:34 PM
I also smell major BS with the theory that Jauron made the Maybin pick. I think Jauron was a scapegoat.

EDS
04-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Can't be true, unless the team violated the Rooney Rule, and considering it was extended to GM's approx. 6 months prior to Nix's hiring I would be surprised if the league just looked the other way.

Because he has shown a knack for drafting talent, and to help get a team on the right track while the young guy (Whaley) works his way into the regular GM position eventually.

Too early to pass complete judgement.

Edwards was OK, the LBers certainly nothing special, but it was a light year for talent in FA.

I don't mind pass-first, but the lack of a true power running game is disturbing. Pass to set up the run is one thing, but you still have to be able to grind it out on the ground, especially late in games and in bad weather.

No argument there...biggest disappointment IMO so far, especially in regards to the coordinators positions.

Buddy Nix does not have any track record as far as drafting talent, since he has never before been the guy that calls the shots. This is a guy who was retired until the Bills picked him up to scout - now he is a first time GM as a septegenerian. Does not make sense. Whaley was not part of the organization at the time - and it does not seem like Pittsburgh is missing him anyway.

After the Dick J. years, this franchise was in desparate need of a total house cleaning. Instead, it got new wallpaper slapped on-top of the old. Definitely not a receipe for long term success - and we all know this is/was a multi-year rebuilding project.

X-Era
04-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Yes, failure is slightly more acceptable from a third-rounder than a first-rounder. Especially at 3 or 15."Wasting" a pick on a QB who was our primary developmental guy can happen anywhere and it doesn't really matter from what round. Theoretically, you waste the development years on a guy who won't be the answer in any round... See Edwards.

justasportsfan
04-18-2011, 02:43 PM
I also smell major BS with the theory that Jauron made the Maybin pick. I think Jauron was a scapegoat.

It was implied in the official site by Chris Brown. Think about it, if Modrak made the final call, Nix wouldn't have kept him and Gailey wouldn't be criticizing Modraks pick publicly.

bf1
04-18-2011, 02:48 PM
It was implied in the official site by Chris Brown. Think about it, if Modrak made the final call, Nix wouldn't have kept him and Gailey wouldn't be criticizing Modraks pick publicly.

Think about it... If Modrak made the call, then simply blame Jauron.

If I had to guess, I imagine that Jauron insisted on a pass rusher, not anyone specific.

justasportsfan
04-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Think about it... If Modrak made the call, then simply blame Jauron.

If I had to guess, I imagine that Jauron insisted on a pass rusher, not anyone specific.

huh? You think Nix is that stupid to jeopardize his job by retaining someone who has blown the drafts ?

Former coach Dick Jauron had more say in the draft decisions than he probably deserved, and the Bills' "team approach" on making final draft decisions overall proved unsuccessful.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article324785.ece

This is straight from the horses mouth. If Ralph is lying, Dick can easily come out publicly and say so. He hasn't and none of his assistants have either. Keep in mind that his assistants made different moves that Jauron did once he was fired. Benched, Trent, Benched Lynch etc.

Keep in mind this has been said by reporters as well who do not work for the bills. I'm sure they have more info than what you think happened.

EDS
04-18-2011, 03:01 PM
huh? You think Nix is that stupid to jeopardize his job by retaining someone who has blown the drafts ?

This is straight from the horses mouth. If Ralph is lying, Dick can easily come out publicly and say so. He hasn't and none of his assistants have either. Keep in mind that his assistants made different moves that Jauron did once he was fired. Benched, Trent, Benched Lynch etc.

Keep in mind this has been said by reporters as well who do not work for the bills. I'm sure they have more info than what you think happened.

Nix has no reason to worry about long term job security, given he is past retirement age already. He goes from reporting to Modrak one year, to being his boss the next. Hmm.

bf1
04-18-2011, 03:02 PM

I know all of that. All PR. Easier to blame one guy who's fired anyway than to blame the entire front office, who all were retained. It's all too convenient. I never believed the story one bit. I guess Jauron took the high road.

justasportsfan
04-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Nix has no reason to worry about long term job security, given he is past retirement age already. He goes from reporting to Modrak one year, to being his boss the next. Hmm.

would you suround yourself with people you think are idiots?

bf1
04-18-2011, 03:06 PM
The buffalo news article said jauron had more say than he deserved. Not he had the final say.

This is what I think happened. There were probably other guys they wanted to pick instead of a DE. But Jauron insisted on a DE. Who's the best DE on the board? Who can be a star pass rusher? Then they relied on Modrak and Co's expertise to pick Maybin.

I flat out refuse to believe Jauron went in there guns blazing for Maybin without some backing from the scouting team.

DE remains a pressing need to this day.

CleveSteve
04-18-2011, 03:07 PM

That's a hilarious thing to ask on a message board.

EDS
04-18-2011, 03:09 PM

Do you think he had a choice as to who stays/gos? Ralph basically chose him because the blue collar fans of the Bills would like his old school southern plain speak and because Buddy had no demands around the offer - so salary was not too high, hiring/firing decisions for front office did not matter, etc. It was all easy and cheap for Ralph and Buddy does not care because he just wants one more paycheck before buying a new fishing boat to spend his golden years on.

justasportsfan
04-18-2011, 03:09 PM
I know all of that. All PR. Easier to blame one guy who's fired anyway than to blame the entire front office, who all were retained. It's all too convenient. I never believed the story one bit. I guess Jauron took the high road.

I don't have to guess. I just look at what was done. Jaurons own hand picked assistants did the opposite of what Dick did once he got fired.

They benched Dicks own appointed players. That says a lot about what the thought of Dicks decisions.

lets say I'll lean towards people who have more inside info than what you think happened.

justasportsfan
04-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Do you think he had a choice as to who stays/gos? Ralph basically chose him because the blue collar fans of the Bills would like his old school southern plain speak and because Buddy had no demands around the offer - so salary was not too high, hiring/firing decisions for front office did not matter, etc. It was all easy and cheap for Ralph and Buddy does not care because he just wants one more paycheck before buying a new fishing boat to spend his golden years on.

you didn't answer the question.

justasportsfan
04-18-2011, 03:11 PM
That's a hilarious thing to ask on a message board.

you don't have a choice on a mb. NIx has a choice.

EDS
04-18-2011, 03:13 PM
I don't have to guess. I just look at what was done. Jaurons own hand picked assistants did the opposite of what Dick did once he got fired.

They benched Dicks own appointed players. That says a lot about what the thought of Dicks decisions.

lets say I'll lean towards people who have more inside info than what you think happened.

What hand picked players were benched? Edwards? They actually relied heavily on player brought in under Dick's watch: Fitz, S. Johnson, Bell, F. Jackson, etc.

justasportsfan
04-18-2011, 03:16 PM
What hand picked players were benched? Edwards? They actually relied heavily on player brought in under Dick's watch: Fitz, S. Johnson, Bell, F. Jackson, etc.

Trent was Dicks qb and Lynch was Dicks rb.. Fewell went with Fitz and went with Jackson once Dick was fired. In other words, Fewell didn't agree with Dick as far as who gave the bills the best chance to win.

EDS
04-18-2011, 03:16 PM
you didn't answer the question.

It is a pointless question. Nix may think highly of Modrak, or think he is the worst talent evaluator ever. Point is, he probably does not have authority to fire him.

If Nix was such a good talent evaluator why didn't he get a GM job prior to retiring?

What is th main source of praise for Buddy Nix and his role in San Diego? His good buddy Marty?

trapezeus
04-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Yes, and the organization squeezed Dwight Addams into retirement. .

which is hilarious now seeing that we don't hire anyone under the age of 60 in coaching and front office gigs, or bring in FA under the age of 30.

Ickybaluky
04-18-2011, 03:18 PM

They satisfied the Rooney Rule but interviewing John Guy, who was in the front office already. It was a sham interview to satisfy the rule because they wanted to hire Nix. They loved Guy so much they fired him 3 weeks after interviewing him.

Nix was brought into Buffalo the year prior as a College Scouting Director, and he was the only other candidate interviewed. They didn't interview anyone outside the organization.

justasportsfan
04-18-2011, 03:20 PM
It is a pointless question. Nix may think highly of Modrak, or think he is the worst talent evaluator ever. Point is, he probably does not have authority to fire him.

If Nix was such a good talent evaluator why didn't he get a GM job prior to retiring?

What is th main source of praise for Buddy Nix and his role in San Diego? His good buddy Marty?

It's simple, if you think Modrak does a horrible job based on his track record even you wouldn't keep him.

Nix is respected as a good talent evaluator around the league . No one said he's respected as a GM even I said the jury is still out as a GM

justasportsfan
04-18-2011, 03:23 PM

Of course Nix has a choice .

EDS
04-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Trent was Dicks qb and Lynch was Dicks rb.. Fewell went with Fitz and went with Jackson once Dick was fired. In other words, Fewell didn't agree with Dick as far as who gave the bills the best chance to win.

How was Lynch Dick's back? Jackson ran for almost half his 2009 rushing total before Dick was fired. Dick brough Fitz in. Do we know if Dick wanted to draft Trent? Wasn't Marv calling the shots in 2007?

EDS
04-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Of course Nix has a choice .

He may not have the authority, we don't know. Why wouldn't the team want to start over with an entirely fresh approach to the draft and evaluating talent? They were on a 10 year stretch of stinking. Again, a total overhaul was needed and they didn't do it.

Tom Donahoe though Modrak was a good talent evaluator. What does that mean?

justasportsfan
04-18-2011, 03:43 PM
How was Lynch Dick's back? Jackson ran for almost half his 2009 rushing total before Dick was fired. Dick brough Fitz in. Do we know if Dick wanted to draft Trent? Wasn't Marv calling the shots in 2007?

Once Fewell became HC, Fitz started and retained the job for the remainder of Fewelkls tenure as HC while Trent played his last game as starter when Dick coached his last game.

Fred JAckson gained his yards while Lynch was out because of his suspension. Once Lynch was back, he got the start and the bulk of the carries while Jackson would come in to relieve him.

Jackson got the start and bulk of the carries once Fewell took over.

Look it up. It's there.

EDS
04-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Once Fewell became HC, Fitz started and retained the job for the remainder of Fewelkls tenure as HC while Trent played his last game as starter when Dick coached his last game.

Fred JAckson gained his yards while Lynch was out because of his suspension. Once Lynch was back, he got the start and the bulk of the carries while Jackson would come in to relieve him.

Jackson got the start and bulk of the carries once Fewell took over.

Look it up. It's there.

The team still stunk so it doesn't matter much.

Night Train
04-18-2011, 04:26 PM
It basically comes down to how many gimlets Ralph downs before 8pm.

Extremebillsfan247
04-18-2011, 05:28 PM
There's question marks with Newton/Gabbert/Miller. There's questions about taking another corner in Peterson. There's questions about taking a skill player like Green. But we all know Nix and Gailey have worked hard to get this thing right. The question is this: knowing they have more info (a lot more) at their disposal than we do who will knee jerk oppose the pick if it isn't the guy we would have chosen or "in Nix/Gailey we trust"? A simple yes or no will suffice.
Well, they have a far better grasp of what this team needs and what it's limitations are than they did last year at this time. I think it bodes well for them and should produce a better draft regardless of who they do pick. If they choose any one of the prospects you mentioned here, I'm sure they will have good reason for doing so. So, in that respect yes I trust them, or at least a little more than I did last year. JMO

Historian
04-19-2011, 09:02 AM
:rofl:

Stupidity is over your head. That says a lot :D

Funny Rat...unfortunately it doesn't answer the question.

If anything, it should have gotten better over the last decade, not worse.

Scouting and drafting is such a science now, (the combine is on tv for cripesake) that it makes me wonder how we could consistantly keep getting it wrong, no matter who is in charge.

I understand that people are going to make mistakes.

But the pattern here has been to fumble the draft every year.

This, after a long and storied history of finding All-Pros. (Even at the Division II and III levels!)

That I just don't get my friend.

Dr. Lecter
04-19-2011, 09:03 AM
I do not know if it is always scouting.

Piss poor coaching can ruin the young guys when they come out. If they have ****ty coaches (which they have had) it destroys their development.

Historian
04-19-2011, 09:07 AM
Could be.

I kept waiting for Jauron's teams to take the next step, and each year we ended up with the 7-9 trifecta...

I also think ignoring the lines, specifically the O line hurt us.

Who wouldn't give their right arm for Ngata now?

k-oneputt
04-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Could be.

I kept waiting for Jauron's teams to take the next step, and each year we ended up with the 7-9 trifecta...

I also think ignoring the lines, specifically the O line hurt us.

Who wouldn't give their right arm for Ngata now?

Ngata, you mean the guy just about everybody on this board wanted but the "professionals..LOL" decided we had to have Whitner.

Extremebillsfan247
04-19-2011, 10:12 PM
I do not know if it is always scouting.

Piss poor coaching can ruin the young guys when they come out. If they have ****ty coaches (which they have had) it destroys their development.
I'll take a page from the book of Nix philosophy here. It takes 3 things to make a draft pick work. One is picking the right player. <- This happens through good information not only from scouts but people you know who are close to the prospect, whether it would be an old friend who taught the prospect in class, or otherwise. Two is having a good coaching and training staff in place that can provide the best environment possible for that rookie to learn in and develop. <- This area in my opinion is where the Bills have failed the most over the last 10 years. Three, that prospect has to be willing to work at always trying to get better. <- This is where the character and work ethic of the prospect play a roll. If anyone of those things fail whether it's Dareus, Miller, Peterson, Newton, Gabbert, or whoever, that draft pick isn't likely to be successful at the NFL level. JMO