PDA

View Full Version : Lockout possibility?

trapezeus
04-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Could the bills gamble that the lockout will take out this season? And as a result, trade their entire set of picks this year to have a ridiculous arsenal of picks for next year as well at the third pick in the event no season happens next year?

when you consider that people are dogging this draft and playing football looks highly unlikely right now, would that gamble anger you or make you feel like it was a shrewd move?

i realize it would be impossible to trade all the spots or even some of them. but i'd give up our 2-5 rounds this year, to get them back other teams additional picks as well as have our slotted allotment next year. In some ways thiscould make the bills better faster in 2012 that fudging around with this draft.

The bills could draft #3, then trade from 2-5, and then draft 6-7.

thoughts? is this too stupid for words? or is there something there? is this someething a lot of teams are thinking about?

ddaryl
04-18-2011, 03:58 PM
stakes are way to high is we lose that bet. and the scnario you propose is off the wall, but you knew that.

If we're gonna do a gamble then the thing to do is trade back a few times and pick up extra pick in next years draft before just booting this draft down the road.

Still some damn good players of need in this draft.

Ickybaluky
04-18-2011, 04:01 PM
There is also a risk that there will be no draft next year, it will look entirely different.

If the players take their court case to the end, in theory the draft could be ruled an illegal practice because each team is a separate entity and the draft is a form of collusion. It is only allowed because it has been collectively bargained, but there is no more NFLPA and no more CBA.

Thus, a team could trade for picks next year but they take a risk that there will be no more draft.

Extremebillsfan247
04-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Could the bills gamble that the lockout will take out this season? And as a result, trade their entire set of picks this year to have a ridiculous arsenal of picks for next year as well at the third pick in the event no season happens next year?

when you consider that people are dogging this draft and playing football looks highly unlikely right now, would that gamble anger you or make you feel like it was a shrewd move?

i realize it would be impossible to trade all the spots or even some of them. but i'd give up our 2-5 rounds this year, to get them back other teams additional picks as well as have our slotted allotment next year. In some ways thiscould make the bills better faster in 2012 that fudging around with this draft.

The bills could draft #3, then trade from 2-5, and then draft 6-7.

thoughts? is this too stupid for words? or is there something there? is this someething a lot of teams are thinking about?
No, that would be foolish. Now that mediation is court ordered, some kind of labor deal will get done. My prediction is that a new labor deal is reached by the middle of May. It could even come sooner than that but that is where I think it's most likely to happen. The lockout will probably get lifted before the end of this month. There will be a 2011 NFL season. It's pretty much imminent now. JMO

jamze132
04-19-2011, 04:50 AM
Football will be played this fall. I like your thinking but both sides have way too much at risk to not be playing later this year.

THATHURMANATOR
04-19-2011, 07:23 AM
I don't see how it benefits us to draft guys this year or next. What is the difference?

THATHURMANATOR
04-19-2011, 07:24 AM
There is also a risk that there will be no draft next year, it will look entirely different.

If the players take their court case to the end, in theory the draft could be ruled an illegal practice because each team is a separate entity and the draft is a form of collusion. It is only allowed because it has been collectively bargained, but there is no more NFLPA and no more CBA.

Thus, a team could trade for picks next year but they take a risk that there will be no more draft.
There is going to be a draft. Come on man.

trapezeus
04-19-2011, 09:08 AM
didn't really think about the possibility of no draft. small chance, but there is a chance.

i just think if we have a crap first round (we as in the league not the bills) and there is nothing exciting at 3, trade it. and keep doing that through the first couple rounds. Getting later picks in this weak draft and a possible pick in next year's draft. maybe even trading our 3 this year for a 2 next year.

imagine another year of suck (entirely possible since or defense isn't going to be much better since there are sooo many needs) combined with a top ten pick, 2 seconds, 2 or 3 thirds, 2 fourths etc.

That could put the bills in a comfortable spot to get better quikc the following year. i'm kind of stunned they didn't do that like 4 years ago. Knowing that they had teams struggling to get to 7-9, they should have bit the bullet. even last year.

i guess i'm totally not excited by this draft class and don't see a whole lot of fixes coming through these guys.

Dozerdog
04-19-2011, 10:09 AM
It only works if this year's draft class stinks completely, next year's draft is loaded- and there are 31 other really stupid teams

Ickybaluky
04-19-2011, 11:44 AM
There is going to be a draft. Come on man.

Probably, but it isn't certain. The NFL has told teams that if they trade for future picks they do so at their own risk. That means if it changes and there is no more draft, then the teams just lose those picks without compensation.

I agree there will probably be a new CBA at some point with a draft included. However, the reality is if it is not collectively bargained there can be no draft. If the players win the ruling, the lockout is lifted, and no new agreement before the 2012 draft, there will be no 2012 draft. It is an illegal practice if not collectively bargained, because it would be 32 separate businesses colluding for labor.

It comes down you how much you believe they can come to an agreement before 2012. It is most likely they do and life goes on with a new CBA. If it doesn't however, the system will change. There will be no draft and all college players will become free agents. There will be no franchise or restricted tags, just players with a contract and those without. There will be no limit (or floor) to salaries. In theory a team could decide to pay some schmuck $100 a game to long-snap and the like. It would be a free market, lockout or a new CBA.