PDA

View Full Version : Mallett Reportedly Admits To Drug Use

DraftBoy
04-18-2011, 04:58 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-04-18/ryan-mallett-reportedly-admits-past-drug-use-to-nfl-teams

"One G.M. said Mallett was the first quarterback ever to admit his drug usage to him in interviews, and his willingness to be honest about his past and acknowledge issues is viewed as a positive," according to Pro Football Weekly. "Concerns about his history of use could impact his draft position, though."

Northern Stampede
04-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Jim Kelly was a big party guy too... We all know how that worked out...

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-18-2011, 05:09 PM
who cares we will be drafting an undersized lb and then a rb and two place kickers and a long snapper

X-Era
04-18-2011, 05:12 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-04-18/ryan-mallett-reportedly-admits-past-drug-use-to-nfl-teamsCaught that. If it's marijuana it may be overlooked. In fact, I could see teams liking the fact that he came clean... no pun intended. Still, I think it may keep him out of the 1st round. He could possibly still get taken there, but I don't think it's likely.

wmoz11
04-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Good for him. I still don't think much of him as a QB, but he earned some respect from me (not like he cares).

Mike13
04-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Just as I thought, just a college kid experimenting with drugs.

TacklingDummy
04-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Now if Lecter only admitted he did something while posting.

X-Era
04-18-2011, 05:16 PM
who cares we will be drafting an undersized lb and then a rb and two place kickers and a long snapperNope, just a defensive tackle, defensive end, and two linebackers. Something we didn't do last year... not that I totally disagree with that approach.

Ebenezer
04-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Probably makes him available when the Bills pick in the 2nd.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-18-2011, 05:18 PM
i want gabbert
WAAAAAAAAAA!

HAMMER
04-18-2011, 05:30 PM
I think Mallett becomes the best QB in this draft, if he is available at 34 and we pass I will drive to Buffalo and kix Nix in the nuts.

X-Era
04-18-2011, 05:40 PM
i want gabbert
WAAAAAAAAAA!

Nope, just a defensive tackle, defensive end, and two linebackers. Something we didn't do last year... (sacrasm/off) not that I totally disagree with that approach.

I was being sarcastic.

X-Era
04-18-2011, 05:41 PM
I think Mallett becomes the best QB in this draft, if he is available at 34 and we pass I will drive to Buffalo and kix Nix in the nuts.If the Bills think his character is fine, I wouldn't mind him at 34.

TacklingDummy
04-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Character issues are only an issue if he turns out to suck.

X-Era
04-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Character issues are only an issue if he turns out to suck.Not that bad of a philosophy actually.

cookie G
04-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Maybe that's why he's falling on boards, the "ex" part.

He might be all preachy, annoying and 12 steppy.

Extremebillsfan247
04-18-2011, 05:58 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-04-18/ryan-mallett-reportedly-admits-past-drug-use-to-nfl-teams
My prediction is that he goes in the first round. My 2 likely landings spots, this one would probably make you laugh until it happens, then you'll be worried about it, New England. My second team is Seattle.

YardRat
04-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Still think he goes in the first.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-18-2011, 06:41 PM
And the unverifiable, unsubstantiated rumors continue...

BillsWin
04-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Would love for us to trade down right before the Dolphins and get him. I actually think he has the potential to be a real good player if he never touches drugs again.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-18-2011, 09:02 PM
I was being sarcastic.

i hope you know i was not dissin ya... I DO want gabbert :)

PromoTheRobot
04-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Jim Kelly was a big party guy too... We all know how that worked out...

Well, unfortunately, we do. Kelly was great until he decided to start his Super Bowl celebration a week before the game in Tampa.

PTR

BertSquirtgum
04-18-2011, 11:15 PM
i want gabbert
WAAAAAAAAAA!

why? just bring trent edwards back

tcb5033
04-19-2011, 12:06 AM
my bet is that his drug issue is blown way out of proportion and he's just one of the players in this draft that got caught. i'm sure newton and gabbert have smoked the devil's lettuce during college too. i mean, gabbert looks like a hippie and newton is...well...newton.

jamze132
04-19-2011, 04:33 AM
Probably makes him available when the Bills pick in the 2nd.
And I wouldn't mind that at all.

DraftBoy
04-19-2011, 07:14 AM
So just so Im clear...

Ryan Mallett rumors character issues, drug use, and general ******* tendencies are ok.

Cam Newton rumored character issues, buying stolen property, and disengenious smile not ok.

I want to make sure I clearly draw the double standard line on this one.

Buckets
04-19-2011, 07:15 AM
"Some NFL teams are concerned about Mallett's reputation as a "big party guy," according to PFW."

Should fit right in.

Dr. Lecter
04-19-2011, 08:25 AM
So just so Im clear...

Ryan Mallett rumors character issues, drug use, and general ******* tendencies are ok.

Cam Newton rumored character issues, buying stolen property, and disengenious smile not ok.

While I do not want either, I am also not sure you can say the two are exactly the same.

CleveSteve
04-19-2011, 08:57 AM
So just so Im clear...

I'm not sure people would be quite as concerned about Newton's question marks if he were being talked about #34 and not #3.

trapezeus
04-19-2011, 09:10 AM
so do i understand this correctly:
1. if he admits he did drugs, all is ok. his stock rises, people believe he'll be a good qb
2. if he staunchly denies doing drugs, no one likes him. his stock drops because people feel he isn't being honest. People believe he'll never understand the complexities of being an NFL QB.

If i have it right, i have to admit this is some confusing stuff.

Historian
04-19-2011, 09:14 AM
I would be okay with a QB in the second round.

Not in the first.

BuffaloBlitz83
04-19-2011, 10:26 AM
So just so Im clear...

We all know why there is a double standard. Race.

justasportsfan
04-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Perfect fit for miami night life.

OpIv37
04-19-2011, 10:46 AM
News flash: Every major college football player is a "big party guy" and many college students- athletes included- experiment with drugs (His Holiness Tim Tebow excluded, of course).

Basically, college athletes all act just like every other college kid, but they pretend to be clean and their school, their team, the NCAA, and the pro teams that may or may not draft them all pretend to believe them.

One guy decides it's BS and admits to what everybody already knows, and suddenly he's the bad guy? Please.

DraftBoy
04-19-2011, 10:48 AM
News flash: Every major college football player is a "big party guy" and many college students- athletes included- experiment with drugs (His Holiness Tim Tebow excluded, of course).

Basically, college athletes all act just like every other college kid, but they pretend to be clean and their school, their team, the NCAA, and the pro teams that may or may not draft them all pretend to believe them.

One guy decides it's BS and admits to what everybody already knows, and suddenly he's the bad guy? Please.

News flash, this is more than just experimentation with drugs.

DraftBoy
04-19-2011, 10:49 AM
While I do not want either, I am also not sure you can say the two are exactly the same.

How are they different? Both have reported and rumored character flaws, both play a premier position, and are considered to be two of the best at that position.

On one side people are saying drugs are ok as long as you come clean, but then turning around and saying Newton buying a stolen laptop (unknowingly) is not ok.

Show me what the clear difference is.

CleveSteve
04-19-2011, 10:55 AM
How are they different? Both have reported and rumored character flaws, both play a premier position, and are considered to be two of the best at that position.

On one side people are saying drugs are ok as long as you come clean, but then turning around and saying Newton buying a stolen laptop (unknowingly) is not ok.

If I may repeat myself...

IT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT THE #3 OVERALL PICK WHO MAY NOT EVEN BE THAT GOOD OF A QB AS OPPOSED TO THE #34 OVERALL PICK WHO HAS INARGUABLY THE BEST PASSING ABILITY IN THE DRAFT.

Dr. Lecter
04-19-2011, 10:56 AM

All Notre Dame players are excluded too. Every single player who ever went there is a saint.

Dr. Lecter
04-19-2011, 11:00 AM

For one, there is (as was already mentioned) the potential position of their being picked.

Secondly, there is the reaction to the flaws. Has Newton really shown any remorse (genuine or not)?

Third there is a perceived pattern with Newton (fair or not). The father selling his goods. The laptop (in which his reaction makes him look guilty as hell). The cheating issue.

Whether those are true or false is not completely relevant. His perception is damaged.

Mallet is seen as an immobile Meth-head who is at least trying to rebuild his perception.

DraftBoy
04-19-2011, 11:06 AM
For one, there is (as was already mentioned) the potential position of their being picked.

Secondly, there is the reaction to the flaws. Has Newton really shown any remorse (genuine or not)?

Third there is a perceived pattern with Newton (fair or not). The father selling his goods. The laptop (in which his reaction makes him look guilty as hell). The cheating issue.

Whether those are true or false is not completely relevant. His perception is damaged.

Mallet is seen as an immobile Meth-head who is at least trying to rebuild his perception.

First off throw out the academics stuff because until somebody outside of Thayer Evans reports that its bull****. Both Newton's camp and UF have denied it.

His father selling his goods is true, no doubt and Newton has to take some responsibility for that.

But you're basically telling me a kid not ratting out his father, and buying a hot laptop then panicing with it, is as bad or worse than possible drug addiction?

I can't buy that. Im sorry but I find a lot more to worry about in a guy who has admitted to using drugs in the past then a kid who bought a stolen laptop and paniced when the cops came.

DraftBoy
04-19-2011, 11:08 AM
If I may repeat myself...

IT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT THE #3 OVERALL PICK WHO MAY NOT EVEN BE THAT GOOD OF A QB AS OPPOSED TO THE #34 OVERALL PICK WHO HAS INARGUABLY THE BEST PASSING ABILITY IN THE DRAFT.

Allow me to point out what a massive cop out that is. Whether its 3 or 34 you're still taking a guy who you feel is your franchise QB in one of these two.

Night Train
04-19-2011, 11:13 AM
If he's a choking dog in crunch time (which he is ) it doesn't matter to me if he's picked at #3,#34 or #234.

I don't want a " value " poor starter.

CleveSteve
04-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Allow me to point out what a massive cop out that is. Whether its 3 or 34 you're still taking a guy who you feel is your franchise QB in one of these two.
If you guys draft Mallett at #34 and he's not all that great his rookie year, do you draft Luck or Barkley next year?

If you guys draft Newton #3 overall and he's not all that great, do you draft Luck or Barkley next year?

Extremebillsfan247
04-19-2011, 01:20 PM
If you guys draft Mallett at #34 and he's not all that great his rookie year, do you draft Luck or Barkley next year?

If you guys draft Newton #3 overall and he's not all that great, do you draft Luck or Barkley next year?
If we draft Mallet at #34 you can pretty much bank on it that he doesn't see the field much in 2011 if at all. Fitzpatrick is the named starter and at this point whether we draft a QB or not, it's going to be his job to lose. As far as Andrew Luck is concerned, the Bills wont have a shot at him. Even If we did finish bad enough to be able to pick Andrew Luck, knowing this front office, they would most likely pass on him if they took Mallet in this years draft.

THATHURMANATOR
04-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Everyone pretty much that has gone to college has tried drugs of some sort. I don't see the big deal. Probably 90% of the players in the league have.

DraftBoy
04-19-2011, 02:55 PM

Yes and Yes. Was that supposed to be a serious question?

Bill Cody
04-19-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't care that he smoked a few joints. I care that I'll be the one smoking joints watching Mallet curl into the fetal position on 3rd and long for the next 10 years if we draft him.

CleveSteve
04-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Yes and Yes. Was that supposed to be a serious question?

Yeah. I was wondering if you had an issue with drafting QBs in the top 3 in consecutive years. I don't know that everyone has the same answer.

justasportsfan
04-19-2011, 03:37 PM
I care that I'll be the one smoking joints watching Mallet curl into the fetal position on 3rd and long for the next 10 years if we draft him.
that would make you quit smoking pot due to constant bad trips

TacklingDummy
04-19-2011, 03:45 PM
I don't care that he smoked a few joints. I care that I'll be the one smoking joints watching Mallet curl into the fetal position on 3rd and long for the next 10 years if we draft him.
If he's around for 10 years most likely he wasn't a bust and not curled up in the fetal position.

Extremebillsfan247
04-19-2011, 10:56 PM
So just so Im clear...

Here is what I think to be a good question. Whose draft stock probably took a bigger hit?
Between Mallet from apparently admitting to drug use, or Newton from appearing on that show with Jon Gruden? lol

DraftBoy
04-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Here is what I think to be a good question. Whose draft stock probably took a bigger hit?
Between Mallet from apparently admitting to drug use, or Newton from appearing on that show with Jon Gruden? lol

Wouldnt shock me if neither ones stock took all that big of hit or any at all.

DraftBoy
04-20-2011, 07:31 AM
Yeah. I was wondering if you had an issue with drafting QBs in the top 3 in consecutive years. I don't know that everyone has the same answer.

Wouldnt blink twice at it, but thats a testment to how much I believe in Andrew Luck more so than the idea of just taking a QB back to back.

For instance if Im Carolina Im taking AJ Green and not Cam Newton.