PDA

View Full Version : NICK FAIRLEY (what do u think)

tampabay25690
04-18-2011, 07:56 PM
This guy is propbably the best player not even talked about..

I watched this guy quite a bit last year and he was probably the most dominate DL guy I saw all year.....I have been watching some old tape on him and Im trying to figure out why he has slipped a bit in the draft.....

He absolutley took over games....
Ask Oregon how it was in the National Championship....
He was the best player on the field in the Championship game BY FAR......

What would you say if the Bills made his the pick????

He is just what we could use a guy that is nasty, playmaker, and can get to the QB and in the backfield......He would look great with Kyle Williams, and Torell Troup??????

Just a guy you might want to keep you eye on next Thursday nite.........

Danny Duberstein
04-18-2011, 08:00 PM
What do I think?

I think I wouldn't think twice if Dareus is off the board at 3. Fairley would be the pick.

YardRat
04-18-2011, 08:06 PM
I was pretty high on Fairley early in the year...he can dominate the line of scrimmage and definitely impact games...I'm a little concerned about what his work ethic will be like at the next level, and his nasty streak may be just a touch over the edge.

I will say this, though...if I'm taking a chance at #3 on somebody from Auburn, I'd much rather the pick be Fairley than Newton.

tampabay25690
04-18-2011, 08:07 PM
What do I think?

I think I wouldn't think twice if Dareus is off the board at 3. Fairley would be the pick.

Im starting to think he would be a nice pick for the Bills......

tampabay25690
04-18-2011, 08:08 PM
I was pretty high on Fairley early in the year...he can dominate the line of scrimmage and definitely impact games...I'm a little concerned about what his work ethic will be like at the next level, and his nasty streak may be just a touch over the edge.

I will say this, though...if I'm taking a chance at #3 on somebody from Auburn, I'd much rather the pick be Fairley than Newton.

Hey Tampa took a great risk on a guy named WARREN SAPP remember him???

YardRat
04-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Hey Tampa took a great risk on a guy named WARREN SAPP remember him???

Yes, he comes to mind in any Fairley discussion.

Sapp's issue was weed, though...

tampabay25690
04-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Yes, he comes to mind in any Fairley discussion.

Sapp's issue was weed, though...

yea that was part of it.....

Slim
04-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Little known fact. Fairley is actually a distant relative of Eric Moulds. There moms dislike each other though so they don't have a relationship.

Philagape
04-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Lazy.
Biggest red flag for a lineman, and an automatic DQ for a high pick.

HAMMER
04-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Amazing how the flavor du jour changes so quickly isn't it? I want the biggest, nastiest d-lineman available. Dareus or Fairley. I think the pick will be Gabbert if he is there, but if someone trades into 2 then it is likely they are doing it for Gabbert. At that point we would have our choice of either.

TigerJ
04-18-2011, 09:27 PM
On the field, I think he's probably as good as anyone the Bills could draft. I wouldn't be at all unhappy if the Bills drafted him. I also think that he might not be especially coachable and might give the Bills headaches in training camp and in practice. But then we've had players like that before (Bruce Smith).

TacklingDummy
04-18-2011, 09:43 PM

I'd draft him over Dareus 7 days a week.

Mr. Miyagi
04-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Two months ago Fairley was the unquestioned Number One Overall pick as soon as Andrew Luck was out of the picture. Now suddenly he's got work ethic issues, and laziness, take plays off, etc.

I recall another player was tagged with the same stuff couple years ago and the Bills backed off on him. His name was Brian Orakpo.

Turned out okay didn't he?

CleveSteve
04-18-2011, 09:57 PM
A couple months ago, Fairley was #2 (after Dareus) on my Browns' Big Board, mainly because the drop-off in talent at DT is so large and the Browns need for a starting DT in their move to a 4-3 was so great. I thought the idea of him having an attitude issue was probably overblown and that there was likely some stereotyping going on...

Then I read when someone asked him where he hopes to play and he said something like "Anywhere. As long as it's warm."

Then I had to take him off.

Luisito23
04-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Fairley is #1 on my big board.

baalworship
04-18-2011, 10:00 PM
There are reports Bills took him off their board due to character concerns.

CleveSteve
04-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Also, he's a muuuuuuuuuuuch better player as a freelancing 3-tech than he would be as a 5-tech. His main skill is quickness and agility for his size and if you're asking him to be a behemoth strongman you're losing a lot of his impact. If I'm drafting a 4-3 DE, my first round board looks like:

Dareus
Watt
Jordan
Wilkerson
Fairley
Heyward

But if I'm drafting a 3-4 UT, I'm taking:

Dareus
Fairley
Liuget
Wilkerson
Paea

with a biiiiiiiiiiig gap between Fairley and Liuget.

FlyingDutchman
04-18-2011, 10:33 PM
I thought he was the best player in the country after the national championship.

People said Ngata was lazy and took plays off.

Fairley gets compared to Albert Haynesworth for some weird reason and theyre nothing alike character wise.

Id love to have him

FlyingDutchman
04-18-2011, 10:34 PM
If we dont come away with Dareus, Miller or Fairley I will be disappointed

CleveSteve
04-18-2011, 11:02 PM
People said Nagata was lazy and took plays off.

Ngata was lazy and took plays off at Oregon. I saw a game against Stanford where the Cardinal gameplanned blocking him with their fullback and were successful. can you imagine? Blocking a NT with a fullback?

Ngata's success is due in no small part to having guys like Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, and (at the time) Bart Scott kicking his butt to get him to play the right way. If he had gone to a team with no defensive leadership (like the 2006 Browns, for example) he very well could have been a bust.

BertSquirtgum
04-18-2011, 11:05 PM
one year wonder, we already have john mccargo. no thanks.

FlyingDutchman
04-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Ngata was lazy and took plays off at Oregon. I saw a game against Stanford where the Cardinal gameplanned blocking him with their fullback and were successful. can you imagine? Blocking a NT with a fullback?

Ngata's success is due in no small part to having guys like Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, and (at the time) Bart Scott kicking his butt to get him to play the right way. If he had gone to a team with no defensive leadership (like the 2006 Browns, for example) he very well could have been a bust.

sure he has great players around him but hes still probably the best 3-4 defensive end in the league, thats a little aggressive to say the players around him are the reason hes had the career hes had and kept him from being a bust

BertSquirtgum
04-18-2011, 11:10 PM
I'd draft him over Dareus 7 days a week.

lay off the dope sir.

Slim
04-18-2011, 11:26 PM

Comparing Fairley to McCargo absolutely destroys any shread of credibility you ever had.

McCargo played between Mario Williams and Manny Lawson, which made him look pretty damn good in college. And look at McCargo's college statistics, he's far from a one year wonder. He never really had a good year at NC State. And knowing John, I can tell you while he never panned out, it was never for a lack of trying. So i hope your post was a joke, beacuse if not, it's one of the most misinformed, ignorant, and stupid posts I have seen on this board this off season. I can understand when people say something stupid when they are self-admittedly not the smartest person regarding football. But when people (like you) toss around opinion's look educated. Also, John McCargo is no longer on the non-stop (most the time in a condescending manner) and chose not to back up anything you say is absolutely absurd. So before you going throwing your pointless opinion, at least try to make it Bills, and will never play another down with the Bills, that bridge has been burned. So, technically the Bills don't "already have a John McCargo".

BOOM, roasted.

Raptor
04-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Of all the players with a top 20 grade, I think Fairley is BY FAR the most likely player to be a bust

Pass all the way

jamze132
04-19-2011, 04:31 AM
We will have the opportunity to draft either Darius, Fairely, or Miller. I don't think any of them would be a bad pick.

Mahdi
04-19-2011, 10:20 AM
I like what I see from Fairley, and personally I don't care too much about his character concerns.

My only questions are, for a team that plays mainly 3-4 will he be as effective as he was in college? And is his one year wonder thing enough to knock him out of the top 5?

Dareus seems to be stronger and better suited to play 3-4 DE so if we take him I would understand the selection.

In the end Fairley is a very good football player so it would be hard to hate the pick but with players who have produced for more than 1 year available and a Qb like Newton available I don't think I would be too happy about Fairley.

justasportsfan
04-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Fairley has Mike Williams written all over him

ddaryl
04-19-2011, 10:49 AM
I saw a piece on him on the NFL network, became soured on him after that. IMO he seems like a guy who is looking for his pay day and will fade from there.

Questions about his dedication are concerning... I'd rather pick up Cameron Jordan before Fairley....

Night Train
04-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Failrely has Mike Williams written all over him

because he couldn't spell Fairley and decided Mike Williams was easier ?

DraftBoy
04-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Two months ago Fairley was the unquestioned Number One Overall pick as soon as Andrew Luck was out of the picture. Now suddenly he's got work ethic issues, and laziness, take plays off, etc.

I recall another player was tagged with the same stuff couple years ago and the Bills backed off on him. His name was Brian Orakpo.

Turned out okay didn't he?

No he wasn't, he was one of the guys in the running. Then after the combine, interviews and team meetings, his stock started to take hits.

The work ethic questions and laziness concerns have always been there. You're using revisionist history.

baalworship
04-19-2011, 10:56 AM
"ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported on SportsCenter Wednesday morning that Fairley has exhibited irresponsible decision making throughout the pre-draft process. Fairley missed his flight to Indianapolis for February’s Scouting Combine, skipped a meeting with a team there, and was also late to a team meeting at Auburn’s Pro Day."
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/13/more-red-flags-for-nick-fairley-hes-irresponsible-too/

BertSquirtgum
04-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Comparing Fairley to McCargo absolutely destroys any shread of credibility you ever had.

McCargo played between Mario Williams and Manny Lawson, which made him look pretty damn good in college. And look at McCargo's college statistics, he's far from a one year wonder. He never really had a good year at NC State. And knowing John, I can tell you while he never panned out, it was never for a lack of trying. So i hope your post was a joke, beacuse if not, it's one of the most misinformed, ignorant, and stupid posts I have seen on this board this off season. I can understand when people say something stupid when they are self-admittedly not the smartest person regarding football. But when people (like you) toss around opinion's look educated. Also, John McCargo is no longer on the non-stop (most the time in a condescending manner) and chose not to back up anything you say is absolutely absurd. So before you going throwing your pointless opinion, at least try to make it Bills, and will never play another down with the Bills, that bridge has been burned. So, technically the Bills don't "already have a John McCargo".

BOOM, roasted.

honestly, you made sense for the first three sentences, after that it was like a 2 year old kid was telling daddy to write this out for him. my statement was meant as a joke. it's tightly wound maniacs like you in this world who take anything fun and turn it into ****.

tampabay25690
04-19-2011, 11:34 AM

John McCargo wishes he was even in the same category with Fairley....

Lone Stranger
04-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Too much baggage to select at #3.

Ickybaluky
04-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Talent isn't the issue with Fairley. The fact is he was dominant last year at Auburn and in JUCO, but he struggled when he first got to the SEC.

The thing hurting Fairley is he is Albert Haynesworth II. They are pretty much the same player. He can be a dominant DL, just like Haynesworth, with quick feet. He also has maturity and work ethic issues like Haynesworth. He even has the same reputation for dirty play that Albert had.

The question is, does he become such a big distraction it overrides his talent? Haynesworth did. Are you going to draft that guy high and hand him a lot of money?

He is talented enough to consider it, but the risk is obvious.

DraftBoy
04-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Talent isn't the issue with Fairley. The fact is he was dominant last year at Auburn and in JUCO, but he struggled when he first got to the SEC.

The thing hurting Fairley is he is Albert Haynesworth II. They are pretty much the same player. He can be a dominant DL, just like Haynesworth, with quick feet. He also has maturity and work ethic issues like Haynesworth. He even has the same reputation for dirty play that Albert had.

The question is, does he become such a big distraction it overrides his talent? Haynesworth did. Are you going to draft that guy high and hand him a lot of money?

He is talented enough to consider it, but the risk is obvious.

Wasnt that dominant in JUCO, he was good but dominant compared to the top DL coming out of JUCO his year and since then?

Ickybaluky
04-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Wasnt that dominant in JUCO, he was good but dominant compared to the top DL coming out of JUCO his year and since then?

I guess. I never saw him play in JUCO, but he must have been pretty good for Auburn to take him.

DraftBoy
04-19-2011, 12:09 PM
I guess. I never saw him play in JUCO, but he must have been pretty good for Auburn to take him.

3 star coming out of JUCO in 2009, numbers were meh.

74 tackles, 11 TFL, 8 Sacks, 1 FF in 2008 (his sophomore year). Played in a poor JUCO conference so most recruiting sites ranked him lower.

trapezeus
04-19-2011, 12:26 PM
enough to have to think about it. i only saw him play the BCS game and was impressed, but then i heard the "needse to be warm" comment and was over him.

doesn't sound like he has done too much positive since then for most league officials.

At this point, i think if he's taken in the top 10, he'll flame out. i think if he feels totally disrespected by falling past a certain number (perhaps top 10) he'll want to prove something.

can someone tell me, "is this the worst year to be in the top 5 in the last 10 years?"

CleveSteve
04-19-2011, 12:48 PM
can someone tell me, "is this the worst year to be in the top 5 in the last 10 years?"
Not sure if you're joking, but absolutely not. As a Browns Fan, I know something about the top-5. 2005 (the year of Alex Smith, Ronnie Brown, Braylon Edwards, Cedric Benson, and Cadillac Williams) was easily the worst year to be in the top 5. Three RBs in the top 5 is all you really need to know, but the next two players were pac-man jones and troy williamson.

This may be the best year to have a top-5 pick in a few years... Maybe since 2007 with Megatron, Joe Thomas, Adrian Peterson, etc...

It's not often that transcendent talents like AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, and Marcel Dareus are around. I mean... Julio Jones may go #14 overall. #14!

It is a terrible year to be picking in the top 5 if you need a QB or OT, though.

Extremebillsfan247
04-19-2011, 12:56 PM

I watched this guy quite a bit last year and he was probably the most dominate DL guy I saw all year.....I have been watching some old tape on him and Im trying to figure out why he has slipped a bit in the draft.....

He is just what we could use a guy that is nasty, playmaker, and can get to the QB and in the backfield......He would look great with Kyle Williams, and Torell Troup??????

Nix says Fairley is one of the best pure pass rushers at the position he has seen in awhile. But, based on what I've heard at the luncheon presser, I doubt very seriously that they will draft him. They want Von Miller, I have little doubt about that now.

better days
04-19-2011, 02:19 PM
yea that was part of it.....

Part of it? What other part was there? As a Bucs fan, the weed is the only issue about Sapp that I was aware of before the draft. And believe me, I follow the Bucs like I follow the Bills & Gators, which my wife will tell you is too much.

Bill Cody
04-19-2011, 03:18 PM
I thought he was the best player in the country after the national championship.

People said Ngata was lazy and took plays off.

Fairley gets compared to Albert Haynesworth for some weird reason and theyre nothing alike character wise.

Id love to have him

"Some weird reason" lol. Albert Haynesworth stepped on Andre Gurode's face with spikes on. Would it surprise me if some day Fairley did the same thing? Not even a little. I watched him against GA get called for 2 late hits (really late) and a 3rd that wasn't called when he went after the GA QB's knees. And that's the tip of the iceberg with Fairley. There's nasty and then there's dirty. Fairley is dirty. I can also picture him pulling a Haynesworth style rebellion against coaches mandates or not showing up in proper shape to camp. The guy has cancer written all over him and he says he wants to be drafted by a warm weather team, pretty sure that's not Buffalo. Pass.

Extremebillsfan247
04-19-2011, 07:36 PM
"Some weird reason" lol. Albert Haynesworth stepped on Andre Gurode's face with spikes on. Would it surprise me if some day Fairley did the same thing? Not even a little. I watched him against GA get called for 2 late hits (really late) and a 3rd that wasn't called when he went after the GA QB's knees. And that's the tip of the iceberg with Fairley. There's nasty and then there's dirty. Fairley is dirty. I can also picture him pulling a Haynesworth style rebellion against coaches mandates or not showing up in proper shape to camp. The guy has cancer written all over him and he says he wants to be drafted by a warm weather team, pretty sure that's not Buffalo. Pass.
He is really good, there's little doubt about that. The big question with him is whether he is going to work to improve once he gets to the pros, or act like he's entitled to a starting roll because of where he was drafted and not work at all. He comes across as a player who thinks his talent is good enough to get him through. Some teams, especially teams at the top of the draft are usually turned off by things like that. JMO

ublinkwescore
04-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Not sure if you're joking, but absolutely not. As a Browns Fan, I know something about the top-5. 2005 (the year of Alex Smith, Ronnie Brown, Braylon Edwards, Cedric Benson, and Cadillac Williams) was easily the worst year to be in the top 5. Three RBs in the top 5 is all you really need to know, but the next two players were pac-man jones and troy williamson.

This may be the best year to have a top-5 pick in a few years... Maybe since 2007 with Megatron, Joe Thomas, Adrian Peterson, etc...

It's not often that transcendent talents like AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, and Marcel Dareus are around. I mean... Julio Jones may go #14 overall. #14!

It is a terrible year to be picking in the top 5 if you need a QB or OT, though.

Who is Megatron?

CleveSteve
04-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Who is Megatron?

Calvin Johnson

HHURRICANE
04-21-2011, 07:58 PM

I think this is the best pick regardless of who is left etc.