PDA

View Full Version : Put in Enroth Wednesday

G Wolly
04-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Yay or Nay?

Discuss.

Slim
04-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Nay. You play the guy who is one year removed from a Vezina and is a proven player.

G Wolly
04-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Something needs to be done by Wednesday to light a fire under this team's ass.

They looked real lazy, slow, and sloppy tonight. If they don't get their **** together, we're looking at another first round knockout.

JD
04-18-2011, 11:28 PM
Some type of change is needed.

Throw in Enroth

Electrici
04-18-2011, 11:29 PM
I think you have to stay with Miller. The goalie carousel may have worked for the Flyers so far, but I don't think it is our bread n butter. I could be wrong though, My $.02

G Wolly
04-18-2011, 11:41 PM
If Miller drops the next game, we might as well put in enroth then.

Michael82
04-19-2011, 01:54 AM
Hell no! But I would shake up the lines. Get Connolly off the ****ing power play too!

Crisis
04-19-2011, 03:27 AM
Get Facepalminville off the point while you're at it on PPs, him shooting it right at coburn(i think) on the 5 on 3 was seriously awful.

Crisis
04-19-2011, 03:28 AM
And part of me would like to see Enroth, but Miller is one of the leaders on the team like it or not and he will won't be benched.

TMu11
04-19-2011, 05:05 AM
Butler needs wayy less Ice time for one.

Put Enroth in, Miller looked drunk out there

elltrain22
04-19-2011, 05:10 AM
I am a huge Miller supporter, but he has been average at best this series. Last nights game 2 out of those 3 goals were weak. He's be outplayed by Bobby Boucher right now, and maybe giving Enroth a shot couldn't hurt.

I do agree also w/ Mikey that Connolly doesn't need anymore time on the Sabres powerplay. He is pitiful. Loses key faceoffs, makes dumb passes, can't hold the puck on his stick, is constantly muscled off the puck in forecheck opp's, and whenever he shoots whether he is 2 ft or 10 ft, he is wide, or over the net every single ****** time!!! Tell me one reason he is still a Sabre after this season!!

Crisis
04-19-2011, 05:40 AM
Connolly has been solid on the PK and defensively, but yeah I agree he's a giant abyss of suck in the offensive zone.

chernobylwraiths
04-19-2011, 05:46 AM
Well, I've seen only 2 out of the 3 goals (Carter and Briere's goals) and neither was weak to me.

Ebenezer
04-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Leave Miller alone. Stop running around trying to hit after plays and making hits and taking themselves out of position. Regardless what happened to Butler behind the net not many goalie are going to stop a 3-0 right in front of the net. The third goal was a defensive breakdown. Would take a lucky save to keep the puck out of the net. Buffalo had plenty of chances to swing the momentum. Score more goals.

rbochan
04-19-2011, 08:15 AM
I'd bench Pominfail before Miller.

At least Miller isn't afraid to hit someone.

SabreEleven
04-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Nay

2slowtogofast
04-19-2011, 08:50 AM
nay but i am sick of everyone defending him he needs to step his game up

SabreEleven
04-19-2011, 08:56 AM
I honestly can't say I don't blame him for one single goal last night...even the 1st one. That puck richochet'd off Butler (or was it Webber?) 3 times....

Ebenezer
04-19-2011, 08:56 AM
nay but i am sick of everyone defending him he needs to step his game up
He stole game 1. They had no business winning that.

trapezeus
04-19-2011, 09:00 AM
that first goal barely touched butler. he was out of position. He gave up the far post. that was on him.

pulling miller isn't necessarily an indictment on miller. it's the fact of life that this team plays better around enroth. I don't recall people struggling to get the puck out of our end with enroth in.

the sabres need to be mistake free.

chernobylwraiths
04-19-2011, 09:07 AM
that first goal barely touched butler. he was out of position. He gave up the far post. that was on him.

pulling miller isn't necessarily an indictment on miller. it's the fact of life that this team plays better around enroth. I don't recall people struggling to get the puck out of our end with enroth in.

You can't blame a goalie for a goal on a deflection. Even if it 'barely' deflected off Weber's stick.

If the team can't play good enough in front of their better goaltender, then don't deserve to win. It's the playoffs.

trapezeus
04-19-2011, 09:17 AM
the puck hit the stick, but it didn't really change directions. Miller should have stopped that one.

Miller has some blame in this. he slides way out of the crease all this season.

the guys also don't play the same sort of defense first mentality they do when enroth is in.

Lindy will eventually need to make a decision where we are like, "wow, that's a bold move." he won't do it. We won't win.

Like pulling boyes out of the center position, bring in luke adam, send ennis to the bench for a game.

boyes, adam, stafford as line two. ennis has been the most invisible of the top 6 offense. That's saying a lot.

Ebenezer
04-19-2011, 09:25 AM

If they need to be mistake free then they aren't winning anything regardless who is in the net.

Ebenezer
04-19-2011, 09:27 AM
the puck hit the stick, but it didn't really change directions. Miller should have stopped that one.

Miller has some blame in this. he slides way out of the crease all this season.

the guys also don't play the same sort of defense first mentality they do when enroth is in.

Lindy will eventually need to make a decision where we are like, "wow, that's a bold move." he won't do it. We won't win.

Like pulling boyes out of the center position, bring in luke adam, send ennis to the bench for a game.

boyes, adam, stafford as line two. ennis has been the most invisible of the top 6 offense. That's saying a lot.

You're going to bring together guys who haven't played together before and put them out there as your second line when behind 2-1 in the playoffs?? That's crazy...worse, desperate and foolish.

trapezeus
04-19-2011, 09:27 AM
well that's the reality of the situation. they had 2 bad give aways and didn't have any time to correct it. the butler pass just imploded quickly and the mccormick clear sucks because no one came back to pick up their men.

i also think, the flyers will get pasted in the second round if they move on.

trapezeus
04-19-2011, 09:50 AM
after the last two games, you aren't going to be desperate?

watching the team flounder without any chances is foolish. They are having the game taken to them, their top 6 forwards are fairly invisible.

You think just sitting back and letting it correct itself is going to happen?

Ebenezer
04-19-2011, 09:55 AM
after the last two games, you aren't going to be desperate?

watching the team flounder without any chances is foolish. They are having the game taken to them, their top 6 forwards are fairly invisible.

You think just sitting back and letting it correct itself is going to happen?
...and Luke Adam is the answer? The problem is the same as it has been for four years...no true #1 centers on this team. Adam is not ready.

trapezeus
04-19-2011, 09:59 AM
boyes clearly is better on wing. moving nieds up won't fix it. putting gaustad up from the best line of kaleta and gerbe isn't an option.

Adam has played a little was decent. He'll be a big body to replace kaleta.

Sabres don't need to get into a foot race with the flyers. they need to smother them like they did in game on.

move ennis out for a game. he's been the worst of the 6 and just playing frustrated hockey. His opportunity on the 5-3, he hesitated and stopped the puck. the red hot ennis buries that shot.

Ebenezer
04-19-2011, 10:03 AM
boyes clearly is better on wing. moving nieds up won't fix it. putting gaustad up from the best line of kaleta and gerbe isn't an option.

Adam has played a little was decent. He'll be a big body to replace kaleta.

Sabres don't need to get into a foot race with the flyers. they need to smother them like they did in game on.

move ennis out for a game. he's been the worst of the 6 and just playing frustrated hockey. His opportunity on the 5-3, he hesitated and stopped the puck. the red hot ennis buries that shot.
Adam was a -6 in 19 games...not exactly decent.

I think they will be better without Kaleta. He is exactly what is wrong with the team. If the refs are going to call the games the way they have having an instigator in there will blow up in a team's face. The Sabres had their chances. Convert those PP chances in the third and they are up 2-1.

mightysimi
04-19-2011, 10:18 AM
You can't put in Enroth unless you plan to stick with him the whole way. Miller is a good tender. What is it with Buffalo that the back up goalie/QB is the most popular guy in town?

Philly is pushing buffalo around and there really isn't anything they can do about it. If Miller stands on his head you win. Otherwise, it's a tough ride.

trapezeus
04-19-2011, 10:38 AM
it's not that i think enroth is the better goalie. i think the team responds to him. i think it's a coaches way of saying, "you all need to cut out the crap. and play some defense."

i agree to some degree that maybe kaleta's presence isnt' really needed. mancari doing well at the end of the season.

JD
04-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Hell no! But I would shake up the lines. Get Connolly off the ****ing power play too!

How does this get a "Hell No!" response?

Maybe a "no".. but hell no? Really? You make it sound like Enroth is Lalime!

If Miller blows this next game, then what? Still stay with Mr. Vezina of 2009/2010? :comedy:

JD
04-19-2011, 07:17 PM
it's not that i think enroth is the better goalie. i think the team responds to him. i think it's a coaches way of saying, "you all need to cut out the crap. and play some defense."

i agree to some degree that maybe kaleta's presence isnt' really needed. mancari doing well at the end of the season.

Spot on.

And this whole "Enroth has no experience" bull**** is just that, bull****. He had to win the games he won in order for us to make the playoffs in the first place, you guys wouldn't say those games had a playoff atmosphere?

kelly2reed4six
04-20-2011, 06:33 AM
nay.....

shutout no. 2 is coming tonight.

trapezeus
04-20-2011, 08:23 AM
i just find it interesting that ruff isn't a gambler at all. sometimes when you lose at blackjack over and over again, you kind of have to put a larger chunk of change on the table in to attempt to win back your lost cash.

It's a total gamble and in the long run you are better sticking to your small wagers. but at some point, your stack is getting so thin that there isn't a long run to talk about.

When you are down 2-1, maybe that isn't the time, but why be totally desperate 3-1 on the road?

OpIv37
04-20-2011, 08:34 AM
I'm sorry, but benching Miller is crazy talk.

If he were letting in soft goals and was the reason we are losing, then maybe I would agree. But he's not. The top 2 lines aren't scoring. The team is spending far too much time in the penalty box. The defenders are rushing the puck through the neutral zone and picking bad times to join the rush. No one is crashing the front of Philly's net. That's why we're losing- not because of Miller.

Enroth is a rookie. He had 2 or 3 good weeks- that's it. He has potential, but potential is a fancy way of saying "he hasn't done jack **** yet." I realize the team plays harder in front of Enroth then they do in front of Miller but this is the playoffs- they should already be playing as hard as they can. And if being in the playoffs isn't a motivator, then a change of goaltenders won't be one either.

trapezeus
04-20-2011, 08:45 AM
I'm sorry, but benching Miller is crazy talk.

If he were letting in soft goals and was the reason we are losing, then maybe I would agree. But he's not. The top 2 lines aren't scoring. The team is spending far too much time in the penalty box. The defenders are rushing the puck through the neutral zone and picking bad times to join the rush. No one is crashing the front of Philly's net. That's why we're losing- not because of Miller.

Enroth is a rookie. He had 2 or 3 good weeks- that's it. He has potential, but potential is a fancy way of saying "he hasn't done jack **** yet." I realize the team plays harder in front of Enroth then they do in front of Miller but this is the playoffs- they should already be playing as hard as they can. And if being in the playoffs isn't a motivator, then a change of goaltenders won't be one either.

that's simply accepting defeat.

The sabres have at least 2 games to get this right.

Miller has let in soft goals. the tying 3rd goal in philly, the first goal in Buffalo. Both were huge momentum swingers. All season, i've had little faith in him to come up with the big stop.

If the option is on ruff's table, then he shouldplay it tonight. if they lose tonight, the series is over.

OpIv37
04-20-2011, 08:53 AM
that's simply accepting defeat.

The sabres have at least 2 games to get this right.

Miller has let in soft goals. the tying 3rd goal in philly, the first goal in Buffalo. Both were huge momentum swingers. All season, i've had little faith in him to come up with the big stop.

If the option is on ruff's table, then he shouldplay it tonight. if they lose tonight, the series is over.

I understand that Miller is not having his best season, and I can understand your lack of faith in him.

My question to you is this: why would you have MORE faith in Enroth after only a handful of games at the NHL level?

"Different" isn't necessarily "better."

G Wolly
04-20-2011, 09:36 AM
"Different" isn't necessarily "better."

And it also is not necessarily "same" or "worse" either.

If we lose again tonight, we might as well put in Enroth.

trapezeus
04-20-2011, 09:43 AM
because i think the team responds to enroth. the defensemen hang in there in the zone. the sabres play the box a lot better in their end. You don't see the myers pinch

The Myers Pinch - (noun) To go on the offensive as a defensmen and wander so far into the zone at such a great speed, that the defensemen loses the puck and possibly his balance. this results in no shot on net and a defensemen way out of position.

This doesn't happen with enroth in net. The 2 goals miller had no chance on were because of terrible defensive plays.

I just don't see miller being the guy working his way out of this this season. I'd gladly have this email come back and bite me in the ass after the sabres win the series. but as of today, i'm not really feeling him being the guy to get us a needed win tonight.

PTI
04-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Less then zero percent chance Enroth starts.

G Wolly
04-20-2011, 09:47 AM
The team rallied around Miller in Game 1. Helping preserve a shutout. Not too much pressure or too many big stops needed, so he made the stops he should have, looked like we were finally ready to be a playoff team.

Game 2 and 3 the whole team looked sloppy and slow and like they didn't even care. If it's not a goalie change, something needs to be done to kick them in the asses.

Look at Luongo last night in Chicago. Top goalie, steals games, has a great team in front of him. But last night the Hawks kept getting through and getting shots to Luongo, scoring 6 on him.

Maybe the #1 problem isn't goalie, but my main point is SOMETHING needs to be done to wake these guys up, otherwise another first round knock out is inevitable.

chernobylwraiths
04-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Yeah, let's take out our franchise player, the player the players voted as MVP of the team and put him on the bench. That's a great message to send to the team.

OpIv37
04-20-2011, 10:00 AM
because i think the team responds to enroth. the defensemen hang in there in the zone. the sabres play the box a lot better in their end. You don't see the myers pinch

The Myers Pinch - (noun) To go on the offensive as a defensmen and wander so far into the zone at such a great speed, that the defensemen loses the puck and possibly his balance. this results in no shot on net and a defensemen way out of position.

I still say that a goaltender change isn't the solution to this problem. The solution is Lindy saying "Listen up, ladies... enough of this bull****. Stay at home, play solid D or take a seat at the end of the bench. Keep it up and you'll be sitting in the press box on Friday."

It wreaks of desperation- it's a change for the sake of making the change. We're not Washington or Philly- we've had a clear #1 goaltender all season. Those teams have played musical goaltenders and can get a boost from a change. We are in a different situation.

I agree with G Wolly that something needs to be done to shake these guys up, but I don't think playing a rookie goaltender with zero playoff experience over a guy who's been to two conference finals and an Olympics gold medal game is the answer.

G Wolly
04-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Yeah, let's take out our franchise player, the player the players voted as MVP of the team and put him on the bench. That's a great message to send to the team.

You're being sarcastic but think about it.

If you have the person who's been bailing you out, making up for your mistakes, taken away.

Wouldn't you feel like you need to actually work harder to make up for that missing piece?

G Wolly
04-20-2011, 10:03 AM
I still say that a goaltender change isn't the solution to this problem. The solution is Lindy saying "Listen up, ladies... enough of this bull****. Stay at home, play solid D or take a seat at the end of the bench. Keep it up and you'll be sitting in the press box on Friday."

I'm not getting all righteous for a goalie change, but some sort of adjustment. This article was published on nhl.com yesterday and also addresses our points.

The Flyers have scored nine goals in the last two games, and Miller said the key to slowing down that attack is packing in the defensive zone and taking away Philadelphia's opportunities.

"It's something where we have to be patient and have support, two and three men back," said Miller. "It's going to be boring hockey if we do it right. It's going to have to be a chess match.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560279&navid=DL|NHL|Playoffs2011Round1Series2

trapezeus
04-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Any changes anyone puts out there get greeted with, "but this isn't how we did it to get here."

it's tiring. The team needs some sort of shake up. The lines are stale and not working. The defense is injured and not playing well consistently in front of the net.

The goalie hasn't been at an all world level.

All of this can be tinkered with. Perhaps not all of it at once.

But in a different thread i asked why we couldn't call up adam and move him to the second line to push boyes to the wing where he is better? Why can't we put the gaustad, mancari gerbe line back? Why can't we bench pominville for lack of production and slide stafford up with vanek and connolly?

vanek connolly Stafford
boyes adam Mccormick
gerbe gaustad mancari/kaleta
grier nieds ellis

Then you can keep d and goalie the same.

but if you don't want to try to out score them, then you got to out defense them. and that means a total commitment to keeping the faster more talented team to the outside.

G Wolly
04-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Even Luongo **** the bed last in Chicago.

Whether it's because his team let him down, or the Hawks just were on their game, there's a limit to where past success can't bail you out as a reason not to pull you.

chernobylwraiths
04-20-2011, 10:16 AM
You're being sarcastic but think about it.

If you have the person who's been bailing you out, making up for your mistakes, taken away.

Wouldn't you feel like you need to actually work harder to make up for that missing piece?

I might think my coach is setting me up to fail.

Should he sit Myers and Vanek too?

OpIv37
04-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Any changes anyone puts out there get greeted with, "but this isn't how we did it to get here."

it's tiring. The team needs some sort of shake up. The lines are stale and not working. The defense is injured and not playing well consistently in front of the net.

The goalie hasn't been at an all world level.

All of this can be tinkered with. Perhaps not all of it at once.

But in a different thread i asked why we couldn't call up adam and move him to the second line to push boyes to the wing where he is better? Why can't we put the gaustad, mancari gerbe line back? Why can't we bench pominville for lack of production and slide stafford up with vanek and connolly?

vanek connolly Stafford
boyes adam Mccormick
grier nieds ellis

Then you can keep d and goalie the same.

but if you don't want to try to out score them, then you got to out defense them. and that means a total commitment to keeping the faster more talented team to the outside.

That 4th line is ugly but I'd be more willing to make those changes than bench Miller.

I'd probably leave Pominville on the 2nd line and put McCormick on either the 3rd line for Mancari/Kaleta and move them down to the 4th line for Ellis, or move him directly to the 4th line. So, it would be:

vanek connolly Stafford
boyes adam Pominville
gerbe gaustad Mccormick
grier nieds mancari/kaleta

or

vanek connolly Stafford
boyes adam Pominville
grier nieds mccormick

G Wolly
04-20-2011, 10:24 AM
I might think my coach is setting me up to fail.

So sit back and let it happen, or work your ass off to prove your coach wrong, that you deserve to be where you are?

Philagape
04-20-2011, 10:31 AM
If my coach benched our franchise player, I would think he's panicking.

This is still not an issue.

trapezeus
04-20-2011, 10:41 AM
That 4th line is ugly but I'd be more willing to make those changes than bench Miller.

I'd probably leave Pominville on the 2nd line and put McCormick on either the 3rd line for Mancari/Kaleta and move them down to the 4th line for Ellis, or move him directly to the 4th line. So, it would be:

vanek connolly Stafford
boyes adam Pominville
gerbe gaustad Mccormick
grier nieds mancari/kaleta

or

vanek connolly Stafford
boyes adam Pominville
grier nieds mccormick

I don't think you can touch the third line. they've been good going into the playoffs, and they are the only line that actually skates every shift in the playoffs. Ellis is a banger and an 8 minute kind of guy. Yet he always is a go.

Pominville really is a weaker version of stafford. When stafford scored in game three, he wanted it. you saw him start playing better. Pominville also gets amped up when the going it good. but in a close game where there aren't a lot of opportunities, he isnt adding anything to the fire. Stafford at least has size and shows some grit. Pominville constantly jumps up to avoid being hit.

I wish pominville never scored in ottawa. He'd have been gone and we would have kept mcarthur or novotony at a much lower cost. And playing them down or benching them would have been much more reasonable.

PTI
04-20-2011, 11:02 AM
You guys are crazy to throw Adam in there now.

OpIv37
04-20-2011, 11:24 AM
You guys are crazy to throw Adam in there now.

Why? He's big and tough and can't do any worse than the goose eggs Pominville and Connolly are putting up.

trapezeus
04-20-2011, 11:37 AM
the 05/06 sabres were crazy to rely on roy and pominville, yet they were a huge reason the team did well.

adam is rookie of the year, will be up next year, and will get dogged at the beginning of next post season as having no experience.

he didn't have great stats, but he was a great worker. it isn't like playing perrson a total unknown.

SkateZilla
04-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Sit Grier and the other guy thats back from Injury, put the lineup back the way it was before the playoffs started.

sit Montador as he's been taking Penalty after penalty.

sit Connolly since he's only good for PK, him and grier can dream about being PK coaches.

rbochan
04-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Sit Grier and the other guy thats back from Injury, put the lineup back the way it was before the playoffs started.

sit Montador as he's been taking Penalty after penalty.

sit Connolly since he's only good for PK, him and grier can dream about being PK coaches.
:rofl:

PTI
04-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Connolly is a huge reason the Sabres were in game 2, and has been a big reason the Sabres PK has been stellar all season long. Sabres were 8th in goals scored this year. Connolly and Pommer are not nearly as bad as you jokers say. They each have 2 assists so far in 3 games, so they don't have goose eggs. Connolly is 0 on +/-, Vanek is actually -4 so far.

JD
04-20-2011, 04:28 PM
The team has even said that it's great having a goalie they know they can rely on.

If you have a goalie back there that you can't rely on, wouldn't you play better defensively? YES! Which is exactly why Enroth won so many games.

SkateZilla
04-20-2011, 04:33 PM
The team has even said that it's great having a goalie they know they can rely on.

If you have a goalie back there that you can't rely on, wouldn't you play better defensively? YES! Which is exactly why Enroth won so many games.

Our D looked like A QMJL D in Enroth's last 2 games of the Reg. Season, Changin the Goalie isnt gonna fix the problem, the problem is players are lazy, they float in the D zone, they are way to passive at the blue line, and they take dumb penalties as a result of the above.....

they need to wake up and skate,

Michael82
04-20-2011, 09:11 PM
:gag:

Thank God that Lindy isn't that stupid! Miller single handedly stole both games!

:hail: Ryan Miller

Philagape
04-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Like I told ya.

Bufftp
04-20-2011, 09:21 PM
I think Miller closed this thread tonight....

Michael82
04-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Like I told ya.
I figured he would do it too. He was due. He knew that he needs to carry this team on his back and stepped up big time!

Michael82
04-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Why can't we bench pominville for lack of production

Yeah, you're right. He's terrible too. He should be benched! :rofl:

He sucks on breakaways, but they can keep him in front of the net. That works for me. :up:

tampabay25690
04-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Why would u sit your best player anyway......
Anyone that said that miller should be sat should just put the remote down and watch Bowling instead....

Dr. Lecter
04-20-2011, 10:42 PM
http://www.deviantart.com/download/114593517/Epic_Fail_by_thepaintrain.jpg