PDA

View Full Version : How bad is Tim Connolly??

elltrain22
04-19-2011, 05:15 AM
After watching last night, and any other night, how bad or good do you think Tim Connolly is?? Just wondering...

elltrain22
04-19-2011, 05:21 AM
Lets look at his positives & negatives:

Positives:

- he's good at making highlight reel type plays (but not in the playoffs)
- he's good at getting hurt for large portions of the season
- he's good at losing key faceoffs
- he looks like a good hockey player in uniform???

(as you can see, I am trying hard to find some positives....)

Negatives:

- rarely is accurate w/ his passes
- very questionable decision making offensively and defensively
- is used way too much
- can't ever shoot the puck on net
- never performs in clutch situations

and on and on...

Crisis
04-19-2011, 05:50 AM
he's one of our best PKers
he's very solid defensively

the problem is he's our #1 center due to necessity and he's not that.

Ebenezer
04-19-2011, 07:51 AM
Crisis hit it right on the head. The guy is becoming a rather good defensive forward and I wouldn't mind if they resigned him to play that role - as long as they resign him for under $2mil.

Michael82
04-19-2011, 09:10 AM
He's overrated and is the worst #1 center in the league. He's also a major liability on Power plays. I'm so sick of seeing him mishandle the puck and never shoot at the net.

trapezeus
04-19-2011, 09:14 AM
he hasn't scored a playoff goal since ottawa in 2006. What other team would stick with a top line player without a playoff goal in 5 years?

he blocks shots on the PK, but he also makes pin point passes to the opposition while on the powerplay. and all no look passes, nonetheless.

My pegula fandom will crash and burn if the sabres bring connolly back for yet another contract. It'll be 3 extensions that made us scratch our heads.

he may have a year or 2 left in him as a third line player. but he needs to do it somewhere else. this is why we should have traded him at the deadline.

chernobylwraiths
04-19-2011, 11:18 AM
He is a decent player that is asked to be the top line center. His best years were when he was the third line center. He is not terrible but he is not in the right role for the team right now.

THATHURMANATOR
04-19-2011, 11:34 AM
he's one of our best PKers
he's very solid defensively

the problem is he's our #1 center due to necessity and he's not that.
Exactly right.

Good 2nd line center, which is what he would be if Roy was available.

THATHURMANATOR
04-19-2011, 11:35 AM
My pegula fandom will crash and burn if the sabres bring connolly back for yet another contract. It'll be 3 extensions that made us scratch our heads.

How could you have a problem with him being brought back as a 2nd or 3rd line center at a highly reduced rate?

chernobylwraiths
04-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Exactly right.

Good 2nd line center, which is what he would be if Roy was available.

Trouble is, Roy isn't a first line center either.

trapezeus
04-19-2011, 11:49 AM
How could you have a problem with him being brought back as a 2nd or 3rd line center at a highly reduced rate?

because he has 2 years top in his tank...he will miss at least 30 games in those 2 seasons, and i don't value his PK value as irreplacable.

his auro needs to be off the team so it can move forward without him. $1-2MM can be used elsewhere. i'd rather roll with Adam in the 3rd line center, roy as a second line center and use the $1-2MM to pad a ridiculous offer for a top line center.

SabreEleven
04-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Connolly with a hat trick tomorrow night

trapezeus
04-19-2011, 12:07 PM
as in, he wears a hat at a cat walk event and hurts himself again?

THATHURMANATOR
04-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Trouble is, Roy isn't a first line center either.
Honestly he is as good as we would be able to get on the market.

There aren't many A #1 centers in the whole league. Richards will be a FA but he is all but signed with the Rangers already.

THATHURMANATOR
04-19-2011, 12:13 PM
because he has 2 years top in his tank...he will miss at least 30 games in those 2 seasons, and i don't value his PK value as irreplacable.

his auro needs to be off the team so it can move forward without him. $1-2MM can be used elsewhere. i'd rather roll with Adam in the 3rd line center, roy as a second line center and use the $1-2MM to pad a ridiculous offer for a top line center.
I don't hate this idea. Only problem is Richards is the only Top line center on the market and I doubt we land him...

Michael82
04-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Connolly with a hat trick tomorrow night
:rofl: :roflmao: :laughing:

Ebenezer
04-19-2011, 04:35 PM
I don't hate this idea. Only problem is Richards is the only Top line center on the market and I doubt we land him...

He is also 31 and has concussion problems...go RFA, go younger and get somebody healthy.

Michael82
04-19-2011, 04:47 PM

he may have a year or 2 left in him as a third line player. but he needs to do it somewhere else. this is why we should have traded him at the deadline.

Great post! I agree 100%! :bf1:

SABURZFAN
04-19-2011, 05:12 PM
he should have been gone YEARS ago.

Philagape
04-19-2011, 05:30 PM
He is also 31 and has concussion problems...go RFA, go younger and get somebody healthy.

The health is an issue, of course, but 31 is not old in the NHL. Yzerman won his first Cup at 32 and led the Wings to the Cup at 37. Sakic won a Cup at 31. The Ducks' Cup run was led by several 30-somethings.
The Sabres don't have to get a future franchise guy to build around; a legit top center will make them a Cup contender NOW. That should be the idea.

SABURZFAN
04-19-2011, 05:47 PM
The health is an issue, of course, but 31 is not old in the NHL. Yzerman won his first Cup at 32 and led the Wings to the Cup at 37. Sakic won a Cup at 31. The Ducks' Cup run was led by several 30-somethings.
The Sabres don't have to get a future franchise guy to build around; a legit top center will make them a Cup contender NOW. That should be the idea.

but those guys PRODUCED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Philagape
04-19-2011, 06:31 PM
but those guys PRODUCED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richards had 77 points in 72 games this year, 10th in the league

JD
04-19-2011, 07:21 PM
He hasn't been himself after getting KO'd. The guy had a great future ahead of him until then. Lafontaine Jr., but with a powdery substance on the side.