PDA

View Full Version : Bills Luncheon

Bangarang
04-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Live stream for the Bills Luncheon on BB.com

This will be the last time Nix and co. speak with the media before the draft.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/nfl-draft-2011.html

Bangarang
04-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Buddy Nix said he values stopping the run over rushing the passer as far as the draft is concerned.
11 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Nix on having too much $ invested in OLB and whether or not it affects the draft, says he doesn't think it makes any difference. Hello, Von.
27 minutes ago via TweetDeck

On trading down, Nix: I wouldn't rule out anything, but there will be a guy there (at 3) that we really want.
32 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Bangarang
04-19-2011, 11:52 AM
BN ‘Think people do reach at QB in 2nd rd. Worst thing u can do is take a guy because of need at position but can’t play. Set u back 3 yrs'
1 minute ago via HootSuite

BN on o-line ‘Think we need another tackle. A guy that either is a rookie or if/when free agency starts, we’d like to get another tackle.’
11 minutes ago via HootSuite

BN on Kyle Williams “Kyle is a good football player for us and was every Sunday. He’ll be in 3 technique and shaded in nose.”
23 minutes ago via HootSuite

Bangarang
04-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Buddy Nix says it could be a record number of QBs taken in the 1st round this year.
35 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Nix said it's the perfect time to take a QB for them. Whether that's the first or second round, remains to be seen.
3 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Gabbert talk REEKS of smokescreen from Nix.
2 minutes ago via TweetDeck

What do they have to gain from a Gabbert smokescreen? Cinci or Zona trading up to get him, so Dareus falls to 3. That's what.
less than a minute ago via TweetDeck

DraftBoy
04-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Shocking I think Ive said 1, 2, or 10 of those things in the past month. Buddy Nix must be a fellow basement dwelling hack!

Extremebillsfan247
04-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Live stream for the Bills Luncheon on BB.com

This will be the last time Nix and co. speak with the media before the draft.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/nfl-draft-2011.html
Just got through watching it. Thanks for posting this. Some interesting things were said. I will stick to my original guns here and say we take Von Miller at 3, and Christian Ponder at 34. Both have little to no character concerns, both are Seniors with considerable playing time, both were consistent at their positions, and the Bills have had pretty extensive looks at both of them. I do think if Mallet falls to 34 though that the Bills would probably take him over Ponder based on how he was talked about at this luncheon. But I just don't see him falling out of the first round with so many teams wanting QBs in this draft.

One statement from Nix really hit home with me when he said "who we pick at 3 will effect who we pick at 34". That could mean if they draft a QB at 3 which I doubt after he also said "It's not a great year for QB's", They will definitely pick a defensive front 7 guy at 34. In that scenario, the most likely QB at 3 will be Blaine Gabbert. Then the Bills will most likely hope that a defensive guy with a first round grade falls to them at 34. Now, some other posters on this board may have a much better idea of who that could be than I would so I wont throw out a name there if this scenario plays out.

So, in my best estimation, it is down to 3 players at the top, Dareus, Miller, and Gabbert in that order. That pick at 3 will completely change the mindset and outcome of who we select at 34. For the rest of the draft, I'm expecting a pretty heavy dose of defensive picks where Nix says we need a lot of depth. Unless I misunderstood anything, that is my take on that conversation.

Buddo
04-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the summary. I saw only about the first half of it.
I think your last paragraph sums things up nicely. Dareus, Miller or Gabbert, and then either D or a QB in round 2, although I still think we could go D with the #34, depending on what happens in the QB stakes. While there's a lot of hype about how many QBs may go early - and it isn't beyond the realms of possibility - we've seen this sort of thing happen before, with other positions, and all the teams hold their powder, and the QBs end up going where they probably should have, all along.

alohabillsfan
04-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Shocking I think Ive said 1, 2, or 10 of those things in the past month. Buddy Nix must be a fellow basement dwelling hack!

You and 90% of the posters on here so dont pat to hard...

baalworship
04-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Two things I noticed.

1. Buddy Nix reiterated a philosophy that without him saying it was essentially "Best Player Available". So again even if the Bills like Fitzpatrick or of they like their OLB's they will take Gabbert or Von Miller if they rate them highly. Nix was directly asked if the money tied up in Kelsay, Maybin, and Merriman would preclude taking Von Miller to which Buddy said, "No."

2.Buddy Nix described a hypothetical player that was a Defensive End on 1st and 2nd down and would kick inside to a pass-rushing DT. He then said we have a guy like that in Kyle Williams. This made me wonder if the Bills were planning on a defensive line like this Edwards-Troupe-Williams with Carrington rotating in at DE.