PDA

View Full Version : Bills State of the Franchise

T-Long
04-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Did anyone else see it?

In summary, Rich Eisen, Trent Green, and Willie McGinest all said that it will be one of the quarterbacks or Von Miller. I think we can all agree on that. But, they all were adamant that they should take whatever QB that Carolina doesn't take. By the looks of it, that would mean Gabbert.

So, if that's the case, and you are the GM, do you take Gabbert or Miller?

Let it fly fellas!

SeatownBillsFan21
04-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Miller

cookie G
04-20-2011, 10:46 PM
1. Trade down;

2. Offer Denver our 3rd to trade up and take Dareus.

FlyingDutchman
04-20-2011, 10:54 PM
we're going Miller

TacklingDummy
04-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Miller

Don't settle.

Trade down, Fairley.

BuffaloBlitz83
04-20-2011, 11:21 PM
I'll be pissed if we pass on Gabbert and he turns out Like Matty Ice

PromoTheRobot
04-21-2011, 01:22 AM
I'll be pissed if we pass on Gabbert and he turns out Like Matty Ice
Here's the deal. EVERY draft has a Blaine Gabbert. Next year's draft has Andrew Luck. If we don't get a QB this year there will be a busload to pick from next year, and the year after that. We will never run out of franchise QB's. They make more every year.

PTR

THRILLHO
04-21-2011, 01:38 AM
All aboard the Blaine Train!

methos4ever
04-21-2011, 02:13 AM
If they're sold on Gabbert I'm fine; but keep in mind the NFL network guys (Eisen in particular) were dumbfounded we passed on Clausen twice, who was their suggestion as a can't miss pick...

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-21-2011, 06:04 AM
gabbert all the way

tampabay25690
04-21-2011, 06:12 AM
Did anyone else see it?

In summary, Rich Eisen, Trent Green, and Willie McGinest all said that it will be one of the quarterbacks or Von Miller. I think we can all agree on that. But, they all were adamant that they should take whatever QB that Carolina doesn't take. By the looks of it, that would mean Gabbert.

Let it fly fellas!

Nice avatar.....
Looks familiar......

Rather have Miller over Gabbert but if they make Gabbert the pick Im fine with it......

Ginger Vitis
04-21-2011, 06:20 AM
Miller

Don't Panic
04-21-2011, 06:25 AM
Since Fitz is going Pro Bowl, Miller is a no-brainer.

alohabillsfan
04-21-2011, 07:05 AM
Dareus, Miller, Fairley, I can live with Peterson if they go front seven with 3 of the next 4 picks.

Billsouth
04-21-2011, 07:18 AM
That's true but how often do u expect us to be in a position to draft one. We haven't drafted in the top 5 in ten years. Linebackers are more plentiful than franchise qbs. We need to bite the bullet and get the franchise qb. You don't think there will be more LBs and DTs next year. More importantly, this draft is very deep on defensive players and thin at Qb.

TacklingDummy
04-21-2011, 07:34 AM
Drafting Gabbert gives me another QB to hate on for 3 years until he's out of here. (Johnson,Losman)

TMu11
04-21-2011, 07:40 AM
Miller. Fo Sho

alohabillsfan
04-21-2011, 07:45 AM
Superbowl QBs
2000 Warner UDFA
2001 Dilfer RD 1 PK 6
2002 Brady RD 6
2003 Brad Johnson RD 9 PK 227
2004 Brady
2005 Brady
2006 Rothlisberger RD 1 PK 11
2007 P. Manning RD 1 PK 1
2008 E. Manning RD 1 PK 1
2009 Rothlisberger RD 1 PK 11
2010 Brees RD 2 PK 32
2011 Rodgers RD 1 PK 24

So unless there is a QB named Manning.... No, really its getting a good team not just a QB! Otherwise Peyton would have alot more hardware!

Build a Defense !!!!!

alohabillsfan
04-21-2011, 07:47 AM
on a side note, Mcginist should not ever try to be an analyst ever again, he was pathetic, really sad, someone should tell him.

TacklingDummy
04-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Superbowl QBs
1990 Elway 1st Montana 3rd
1991 Kelly 1st Hostetler 3rd
1992 Kell 1st Rypien 6th
1993 Aikman 1st Kelly 1st
1994 Aikman 1st Kelly 1st
1995 Young 1st Humphires 6th
1996 Aikman 1st O'Donnel 3rd
1997 Bledsoe 1st Farve 2nd
1998 Elway 1st Farve 2nd
1999 Elway 1st Chandler 3rd
2000 Warner UDFA McNair 1st
2001 Dilfer RD 1 PK 6 Collins 1st
2002 Brady RD 6 Warner UDFA
2003 Brad Johnson RD 9 PK 227 Gannon 4th
2004 Brady Jake UDFA
2005 Brady McNabb 1st
2006 Rothlisberger RD 1 PK 11 Hasselback 6th
2007 P. Manning RD 1 PK 1 Grossman 1st
2008 E. Manning RD 1 PK 1 Brady 6th
2009 Rothlisberger RD 1 PK 11 Warner UDFA
2010 Brees RD 2 PK 32 Manning 1st
2011 Rodgers RD 1 PK 24 Ben 1st

So unless there is a QB named Manning.... No, really its getting a good team not just a QB! Otherwise Peyton would have alot more hardware!

Build a Defense !!!!!

Since 1990...starting QB in the Super Bowl

Round 1: 25
Round 2: 4
Round 3: 4
Round 4: 1
Round 5: 0
Round 6: 7
Round 9: 1
UDFA: 4

Extremebillsfan247
04-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Did anyone else see it?

Let it fly fellas!
I would take Miller. Taking a QB at 3, whether it be Newton or Gabbert, it will be tough to make anyone of those 2 sit for a year or 2 to give them time to develop. Both QBs have tremendous upside, and are mobile which is what Gailey likes in a QB. But the Bills want a guy they can develop, and not one they have to throw to the deep end where its sink or swim. That is why I think your very likely to see them grab one of the second tier guys with the number 34 pick. With that group, the Bills are less likely to get pressured into starting them right away as opposed to taking one at 3rd overall.

Historian
04-21-2011, 09:15 AM
I would like to ask the pro-draft a QB posters a serious question:

Why did we draft Levi Brown?

Bill Cody
04-21-2011, 09:15 AM
I am not sold on Miller. He strikes me as Maybin 2.0, new and improved but not going to be dominant at the next level. I mean we know he's fast and he'll get some sacks around the corner. But what else can he do? Overpower a bigger blocker? Stop the run? I'm not so sure. It just boggles the mind that of all the years almost every GD pick that could be made at 3 has serious question marks except Peterson and what Bills fan really want a CB at 3? I'd be very tempted to try to move down. There's a good chance a team will want to grab either Gabbert or Peterson. IMO that's the way to go.

But if I couldn't get value moving down I'd take Gabbert. He will need work to get comfortable under center but he has good size, pretty athletic, mechanics are good overall and he's got some leadership qualities. I would expect he would be ready to start his 2nd year.

Extremebillsfan247
04-21-2011, 09:27 AM

pretty much for the same reason the Patriots drafted Brady, a gap filler with a potential to develop, because before the draft you never know. After a year in your system, that all changes.

Extremebillsfan247
04-21-2011, 09:29 AM
I am not sold on Miller. He strikes me as Maybin 2.0, new and improved but not going to be dominant at the next level. I mean we know he's fast and he'll get some sacks around the corner. But what else can he do? Overpower a bigger blocker? Stop the run? I'm not so sure. It just boggles the mind that of all the years almost every GD pick that could be made at 3 has serious question marks except Peterson and what Bills fan really want a CB at 3? I'd be very tempted to try to move down. There's a good chance a team will want to grab either Gabbert or Peterson. IMO that's the way to go.

But if I couldn't get value moving down I'd take Gabbert. He will need work to get comfortable under center but he has good size, pretty athletic, mechanics are good overall and he's got some leadership qualities. I would expect he would be ready to start his 2nd year.
Miller is by far better than Maybin ever was.

Bill Cody
04-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Miller is by far better than Maybin ever was.

Ok. So he'll dress every week?

Bill Cody
04-21-2011, 09:38 AM

A shot in the dark like all 7th rounders are that could at least take a rotation in camp before we cut him?

Extremebillsfan247
04-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Ok. So he'll dress every week?
If drafted by Buffalo, yes. Another thing, If we do draft him, it all but seals the fate of Aaron Maybin. Miller has enough potential to take the starting job away from any outside linebacker we have on this team including a healthy Merriman. But even if we don't draft him, whoever takes him is getting one hell of a good linebacker.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Miller 1 and Kaepernick 2

Bill Cody
04-21-2011, 11:21 AM
If drafted by Buffalo, yes. Another thing, If we do draft him, it all but seals the fate of Aaron Maybin. Miller has enough potential to take the starting job away from any outside linebacker we have on this team including a healthy Merriman. But even if we don't draft him, whoever takes him is getting one hell of a good linebacker.

Aaron Maybin has all but sealed the fate of Aaron Maybin, Miller or no Miller. I would feel better if Miller was a little bigger, the prototype rush OLB of course is Demarcus Ware 6-4 262. He combines speed and power. I just wonder if Miller is a guy that will get mauled in the run game and engulfed by bigger players that he can't run around. Maybe he'd do better as an OLB in a 4-3 I don't know. And to be honest I'm not saying he won't be a good player I just have some doubts and you hate to have them when you're picking 3rd, you know?

Philagape
04-21-2011, 11:26 AM
And to be honest I'm not saying he won't be a good player I just have some doubts and you hate to have them when you're picking 3rd, you know?

Why yes, I do know.

trapezeus
04-21-2011, 11:36 AM
i seriously think trading down isn't an option anymore. so much negative stuff and no sure fire hits. there aren't even stand out players within their respective positions.

The only options i can see is a decent team trying to trade up to get peterson since he's a good player and lights out better than the 2nd rated CB. everywhere else there is a lot of debate. but do the bills want to move back past the 15 pick to get a bunch more? it might not be a terrible idea, but it'll be hard to sell to fans.

And i could see a team 1 or 2 behind us wanting to just swap positions based on who they think we are taking and who cinci is drafting. that's not going to be a huge score for us.

So in the end, i think we are going to be stuck drafting at 3.

Ickybaluky
04-21-2011, 11:51 AM

Build a Defense !!!!!

Aaron Rodgers was a first round pick too, as was Big Ben.

Why is your criteria only guys who have won the Superbowl? You wouldn't take Phillip Rivers?

I think at some point the Bills have to solve their QB problem long-term. If they think Gabbert has a chance to, they almost have to take him. If not, then they need to go Miller.

Say what you want, but it is a QB-driven league. The hardest commodity to get is the franchise QB and it has the most to do with winning.

I don't know if Gabbert is that guy, but the Bills will have to decide that. If they evaluate him as a potential long-term solution, then that trumps all other needs, IMO. I don't care about past failures, like Losman or Johnson, they would have to try again.

Nighthawk
04-21-2011, 12:35 PM
1. Trade down;

2. Offer Denver our 3rd to trade up and take Dareus.

They won't trade down, Nix already stated as much...they love 3 guys in this draft and will take one of them with the pick.

T-Long
04-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Nice avatar.....
Looks familiar......

Rather have Miller over Gabbert but if they make Gabbert the pick Im fine with it......
Damn, didn't know you had that one!

baalworship
04-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Elway said NO ONE has even called Denver trying to move up to their spot so I don't get why people keep talking about moving down as if there are all these teams clamoring to move up.

Buddy Nix himself said the only way we move is if we got a SPECIAL offer. In other words, unless someone gives up their draft we are drafting in the 3 spot.

Now there may be trades but I don't see much movement, if any, in the top 5.

Extremebillsfan247
04-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Here's the deal. EVERY draft has a Blaine Gabbert. Next year's draft has Andrew Luck. If we don't get a QB this year there will be a busload to pick from next year, and the year after that. We will never run out of franchise QB's. They make more every year.

PTR
The reality here though, whether it's this year, next year, or the year after, you are always going to have fans here who think drafting that first or second round QB is a mistake regardless of his potential. I think this Team's QB failures of the past have given everyone around here cold feet when it comes to drafting QBs. At some point this team is going to have to roll the dice and take a chance on somebody. Fitzpatrick is only going to get this team so far before he is gone. I'm not too sure that there are many fans here who want this teams future resting on the arm of Levi Brown. JMO

THATHURMANATOR
04-21-2011, 06:51 PM

PTR
BS!!!
They said there would be a busload of QBs in this years draft last year!!!

What happened to Mallet and Locker etc...

THATHURMANATOR
04-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Elway said NO ONE has even called Denver trying to move up to their spot so I don't get why people keep talking about moving down as if there are all these teams clamoring to move up.

Buddy Nix himself said the only way we move is if we got a SPECIAL offer. In other words, unless someone gives up their draft we are drafting in the 3 spot.

Now there may be trades but I don't see much movement, if any, in the top 5.
It would be idiotic to pay a crapload to move up 1 spot!

baalworship
04-21-2011, 07:06 PM
It would be idiotic to pay a crapload to move up 1 spot!

My point was that in order for us to move down we would need someone else to want to move up and the market for that at this point appears non-existent.

Every thread has multiple posts advocating dropping back and acquiring picks but in order for that to happen there needs to be a market for that.

Night Train
04-21-2011, 07:42 PM
If they're sold on Gabbert I'm fine; but keep in mind the NFL network guys (Eisen in particular) were dumbfounded we passed on Clausen twice, who was their suggestion as a can't miss pick...

Can't stand Eisen. Dennis Miller failed years back and Eisen didn't get the memo.

Buffalo Thriller
04-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Gabbert.
Fitzpatrick is awful.

ublinkwescore
04-21-2011, 08:44 PM
I think we should try really hard for dareus, and pick up Ponder or other QB at 34...

bigbub2352
04-21-2011, 09:43 PM
miller or gabbert ok by me

PromoTheRobot
04-21-2011, 09:55 PM
BS!!!
They said there would be a busload of QBs in this years draft last year!!!

What happened to Mallet and Locker etc...

As far as I can tell there are still at least 6-7 QBs in the discussion. And that was my point. Not there are going to be franchise QBs every year, just that people ACT like there are!

As for Rich Eisen, maybe he should watch his own network and learn that Carolina wants to draft another QB a year after drafting his hot *****t boyfriend Clausen.

PTR

blln4lyf
04-22-2011, 04:22 AM
Miller. Gabbert is not going to be a great QB imo. He can't handle pressure among other things.

alohabillsfan
04-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Aaron Rodgers was a first round pick too, as was Big Ben.

Why is your criteria only guys who have won the Superbowl? You wouldn't take Phillip Rivers?

I think at some point the Bills have to solve their QB problem long-term. If they think Gabbert has a chance to, they almost have to take him. If not, then they need to go Miller.

Say what you want, but it is a QB-driven league. The hardest commodity to get is the franchise QB and it has the most to do with winning.

I don't know if Gabbert is that guy, but the Bills will have to decide that. If they evaluate him as a potential long-term solution, then that trumps all other needs, IMO. I don't care about past failures, like Losman or Johnson, they would have to try again.

Well no *****... But they were not drafted at 3! A QB can be found outside of top 10 in round one, which is my point. Just say no to Gabbert!

alohabillsfan
04-22-2011, 06:51 AM
Gabbert.
Fitzpatrick is awful.

ROFL, if you think Fitz is awful please tell why Gabbert will be better, and how many years it will take? , please....