PDA

View Full Version : Pats might Trade Up for Julio Jones

Mike
04-21-2011, 05:24 AM
Pats have a ton of pics and need a dominant WR. There have been mentions that they would trade up for the right player, I think they would pull the trigger and trade up right around the top 10 and take Julio Jones. I think that he makes that offense explosive like it was a few years back, on top of that, they absolutely need a wr.

Pats can trade their first 1st rounder and a 2nd & a 3rd and move up enough spots to take Julio. Then to add gasoline to the fire, they can draft Mark Ingram at 28. Watch their offense become that much harder to stop.

Pats Draft:
1a) Julio Jones
1b) Mark Ingram

Ginger Vitis
04-21-2011, 06:19 AM
If the Bengals take AJ Green.. I would think the Pats would have to trade into Arizonas pick.. More than likely the Browns would take Jones @6

Thief
04-21-2011, 06:36 AM
Mark Ingram at 28? I guess no one needs an elite RB before that?

CleveSteve
04-21-2011, 07:46 AM
It's not a given the Browns will take Jones. I'd be thrilled to have him on my team... he was my number one choice for the upcoming draft before it was announced we were moving to a 4-3. Now, though, the browns' 4 biggest needs are RE, UT, LE, RT. The organization has said multiple times they are happy with the young WRs we have, but do want to add a 'HR hitter.'

That's not saying it won't happen, but it's far from a sure thing. They also need a CB since the fans have ruined the relationship Eric Wright had with the team and will need another corner as Falling-down Sheldon Brown is getting older.

Browns and Bills probably have the most directions they can go in this draft (which isn't a good thing.)

CleveSteve
04-21-2011, 07:47 AM

The year will come when no RB is taken in the first round. This might be that year with the depth of talent at DE, DT, OL, and CB, as well as so many teams needing QBs (although none of them should be taken before 20 IMO.)

Ickybaluky
04-21-2011, 08:22 AM
I doubt it.

Belichick stated this draft will be defined by the way teams evaluate front-7 players. The Pats are not going to take 2 offensive players with their highest picks. Look for DL, OLB and OL to be addressed in the first 2 days. WR is not as big a need as people think with them, especially with Taylor Price (a player they reportedly like and who played well in week 17 when he got a chance) entering his 2nd season. They do need a RB, but they usually sign vets in FA (once it starts).

To move up that high to take Jones would probably take their top 4 picks. Unlikely. The Pats may move up with their first pick, but probably only a few spots to get the player they target. They aren't giving up #28 or #33, which are highly valued. They would have to for Jones.

Finally, the Pats are almost certain to move down with the #28 pick because the value is there. Teams will want to move up and get their guy before day 1 ends, and they only have 5 picks in 2012 and could use picks then. Having another pick at #33 makes it easier to trade down and still get their player.

I wouldn't be surprised if they trade down with the #33 as well. Depends on the value they are offered.

stuckincincy
04-21-2011, 08:48 AM
It's not a given the Browns will take Jones. I'd be thrilled to have him on my team... he was my number one choice for the upcoming draft before it was announced we were moving to a 4-3. Now, though, the browns' 4 biggest needs are RE, UT, LE, RT. The organization has said multiple times they are happy with the young WRs we have, but do want to add a 'HR hitter.'

That's not saying it won't happen, but it's far from a sure thing. They also need a CB since the fans have ruined the relationship Eric Wright had with the team and will need another corner as Falling-down Sheldon Brown is getting older.

Browns and Bills probably have the most directions they can go in this draft (which isn't a good thing.)

Thanks for the CLE perspective. I've been sitting here in CIN for 21 years, and lived in PGH for 11 years.

So I like to hear what's going on with the Browns. Back-in-da-day before the Bills, the Browns were followed by Buffalonians - a legacy of the AAFC days.

k-oneputt
04-21-2011, 08:48 AM
The Pats are not dumb enough to trade up for a wr.

That's a move the Bills organization would do.

Wr and rb's, dime a dozen.

tampabay25690
04-21-2011, 08:50 AM

They don't........
You can get a #1 RB late in the 2nd round in this draft....

Bill Cody
04-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Pats have a ton of pics and need a dominant WR. There have been mentions that they would trade up for the right player, I think they would pull the trigger and trade up right around the top 10 and take Julio Jones.

No, they don't value the WR position enough to do this. Remember they got Randy Moss for a 4th round pick and traded a 2nd for Wes Welker. They've never used a 1st rounder on a WR since Bellichick got there. But if Mark Ingram is there at 28 he will be a Patriot I agree with you there.

Lexwhat
04-21-2011, 10:27 AM
They should've just taken Dez Bryant last season. IMO.

justasportsfan
04-21-2011, 10:31 AM
If the Bengals take AJ Green.. I would think the Pats would have to trade into Arizonas pick.. More than likely the Browns would take Jones @6
If Gabbert is there I doubt Arizona passes on him.

Ickybaluky
04-21-2011, 10:49 AM

Instead, they traded down and ended up with Devin McCourty, who was a pro-bowler as a rookie.

Bryant has oodles of talent, but he is a headcase. McCourty saved them, because they were hurting at CB once Leigh Bodden got hurt. McCourty is already one of the better CB in the NFL. I wouldn't trade him for Bryant straight-up.

With the extra 3rd the Pats took Taylor Price, who happens to be a WR. He may never be a Bryant, but he showed flashes last year that he may develop into a WR that can help them, an he doesn't carry Bryant's baggage.

Mike
04-21-2011, 10:51 AM

If you look at their drafts, drafting WR is one of their weaknesses. That is why they traded for Moss, Walker, etc.... Many of their later round wr selections have been duds or just good enough, no Great players. Even Branch was a by product of Brady & the system.

As soon as the Pats got 3 good WR (Moss, Walker, Stallworth) Brady exploded for 50TD & and an best ever 18-0 start only to blow it at SB. That year, they beat opponents by an average 20 Points! That alone is sick, some teams dont average 20 pts per game, they beat other teams by an average of almost 3td!

Anyway, what they had were great WR. Walker is coming of off a few injuries lately, Branch is a good west coast wr, but no field strecher, plus hes getting old. They need a play maker, something that is not there in the 2nd round this year.

Mike
04-21-2011, 10:54 AM

Last year was vastly different. They were heading into the season with Moss as their main weapon. Due to age, etc, he had an awful season and seems to have lost a step or three and was quickly traded.

k-oneputt
04-21-2011, 10:59 AM
It's about Brady, not the wr.

Look who they won Superbowls with at wr.

Qb and the lines. You can fill in the rest.

Ickybaluky
04-21-2011, 11:03 AM
If you look at their drafts, drafting WR is one of their weaknesses. That is why they traded for Moss, Walker, etc.... Many of their later round wr selections have been duds or just good enough, no Great players. Even Branch was a by product of Brady & the system.

They have done pretty good finding guys late. David Givens & Julian Edelman come to mind. While with Cleveland, he took Michael Jackson late.

BTW, with Cleveland he did take a WR in the first round: Derrick Alexander. His big mistake has been Chad Jackson, who he traded up for but ended up with a big flame-out. Branch was a great pick and is a great pick for the system.

They could use a field-stretcher at WR, but it is hardly the biggest need they have. They were one of the highest-scoring teams in the NFL last year, and they are really strong at TE. Personally, I think they would like Green more than Jones. Their offense requires precise route-running and getting out of breaks, and that isn't really Jones game despite his great physical ability. I could see them being more interested in Miami's Leonard Hankerson. I think he fits their offense well.

At the end of they day, it would take their top 4 picks to trade up high enough for a shot at Jones. They aren't going to do that.

DraftBoy
04-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Dont see why they would do that. They need to replenish the DL, they are in perfect position for Cam Jordan, JJ Watt, Muhammad Wilkerson, or Corey Liuget.

FlyingDutchman
04-21-2011, 11:17 AM
No, they don't value the WR position enough to do this. Remember they got Randy Moss for a 4th round pick and traded a 2nd for Wes Welker. They've never used a 1st rounder on a WR since Bellichick got there. But if Mark Ingram is there at 28 he will be a Patriot I agree with you there.

They used a 1st rounder on that kid WR from Florida.

Title of this thread is a littllllllllle misleading

CleveSteve
04-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Dont see why they would do that. They need to replenish the DL, they are in perfect position for Cam Jordan, JJ Watt, Muhammad Wilkerson, or Corey Liuget.

I'd be sick if they got Watt and Wilkerson with 17 and 28. Then Reed at 33? Ugh, if I were a Bills fan I'd be :stretcher

Mike
04-21-2011, 11:23 AM
At the end of they day, it would take their top 4 picks to trade up high enough for a shot at Jones. They aren't going to do that.

It does not have to!
IF Julio Jones is there at the 9 spot, they can trade their 17 & their 2nd 2nd rounder and a thrid to move up to get him. For the team at nine they fall back a little, 8 spots, and pick up another 2nd, and 3rd rounder. I would do that if I were at 9!

Now they would still have the bread and butter of their draft. They would still have 28, 33, and a third. The would still have 3 picks in the top 33!

Now if the Team at 9 asks for 17, 28, 33 I give them the finger, and circle them on the calendar when we play them. Its that simple. They should not have to give up their whole draft to move up 8 spots.

Bill Cody
04-21-2011, 11:25 AM

No Chad Jackson was an early 2nd

k-oneputt
04-21-2011, 11:26 AM

Not with a top ten pick they didn't. And that's where they will have to be to get Green or Jones.

Mike
04-21-2011, 11:28 AM
As a Bills fan, if you traded back to 9 Spot and the Pats Call and offer you:

Your Receive
1) 17
2) 60
3) 74

You Give: 1) 9

Would you do it?

BuffaloBlitz83
04-21-2011, 11:39 AM

This is such a dumb comment. Finding a guy like Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson is not a dime a dozen. Yes you can get a quality WR but finding an elite guy is huge

ServoBillieves
04-21-2011, 01:10 PM
As a Bills fan, if you traded back to 9 Spot and the Pats Call and offer you:

Your Receive
1) 17
2) 60
3) 74

Would you do it?

This is why I hate the week leading up to the draft...

"Well if we trade up to this pick then that other team would want to give us 3 picks to trade with them, and we can use THOSE picks to trade down for more picks and use one of those picks plus Roscoe in a 3 way trade so that we have Tamba Hali and 3 2nd round picks!"

Mike
04-21-2011, 01:11 PM
This is such a dumb comment. Finding a guy like Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson is not a dime a dozen. Yes you can get a quality WR but finding an elite guy is huge

Absolutely. Dion Branch type WR is a dime a dozen, but a Moss, Holt, Rice, Johnson, TO, Fitz, these are all game changing dominant WR, that are Rare. If you can get one, imagine that offense again. I think it is easier to find a stud LB than a stud WR.

Mike
04-21-2011, 01:13 PM
This is why I hate the week leading up to the draft...

"Well if we trade up to this pick then that other team would want to give us 3 picks to trade with them, and we can use THOSE picks to trade down for more picks and use one of those picks plus Roscoe in a 3 way trade so that we have Tamba Hali and 3 2nd round picks!"

Would You Make this Trade?
Your Receive
1) 17
2) 60
3) 74

k-oneputt
04-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Have you noticed that Fitzgerald and the Cardinals haven't won since Warner left. Haven't seen Johnson and the Texans in the play-offs either. Moss, what did he do last year after leaving the Pats, what did he do at Oakland before the Pats......I could go on all day. It's about the qb.

CleveSteve
04-21-2011, 01:49 PM
It's about the weakest link.

FIFY:D:

BuffaloBlitz83
04-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Have you noticed that Fitzgerald and the Cardinals haven't won since Warner left. Haven't seen Johnson and the Texans in the play-offs either. Moss, what did he do last year after leaving the Pats, what did he do at Oakland before the Pats......I could go on all day. It's about the qb.

A QB is assisted by a great WR also. The Texans have had great QB play with Schaub the last 2 years with no post season so your point is invalid. The Texans offense is not in question, it is the defense and fact the Colts are in division.

Mike
04-21-2011, 09:57 PM

Pats have Brady! Unlike Cards& others, Brady will be able to get the ball to Julio. Furthermore, ur point makes no sense, it's like arguing that since Marino or Kelly have never won a SB that we should not draft a top QB. It's teams that win SB, not single players. Football is a team spot, it's not Tenis or Golf & the Pats the team to win, unlike the Cards.

Mike
04-21-2011, 09:58 PM
It's like saying, "don't draft Jerry Rice" wr are a dime a dozen & Fitzgerald was out of playoffs so great wr makes no difference.

Thief
04-21-2011, 10:52 PM
They don't........
You can get a #1 RB late in the 2nd round in this draft....I will bet every zb I have that Mark is gone by 28.