PDA

View Full Version : What happens if theres a year long stoppage?

Sportsuser101
04-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Who gets the #1 pick? The Panthers again? Just curious if anybody actually knew.

Dr. Lecter
04-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Nobody knows.

Most speculation is that it would be some kind of lottery like the NHL had a few years ago

PromoTheRobot
04-22-2011, 02:46 PM
No one knows. Could keep this year's order. Could be a weighted lottery, or a completely random one.

PTR

G Wolly
04-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Most speculation is that it would be some kind of lottery like the NHL had a few years ago

They have one every year to determine the first 14 picks.

Extremebillsfan247
04-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Who gets the #1 pick? The Panthers again? Just curious if anybody actually knew.
What I've been told is that if the 2011 season goes without a game played, no one will pick next year. The 2012 draft will be voided and all college players coming out will be treated like undrafted free agents. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Ebenezer
04-22-2011, 04:12 PM
It will never get that far.

BertSquirtgum
04-22-2011, 04:16 PM
i think it will

Saratoga Slim
04-22-2011, 04:18 PM
The answer is that there is no answer. The last CBA spelled out that one more draft would occur under normal rules if it expired or was voided by the owners (as did occur). Thus we have next weekend.

No additional drafts will occur until a new CBA is agreed upon. When it is, it will probably spell out how the 2012 draft will take place.

trapezeus
04-22-2011, 04:24 PM
if they do a "random" draft, i guarantee you that the patriots some how make out like bandits as per usual. All the details in the CBA could change, but the one rule the NFL will follow until they dissolve is to give new england every single break humanly possible.

Extremebillsfan247
04-22-2011, 05:04 PM
if they do a "random" draft, i guarantee you that the patriots some how make out like bandits as per usual. All the details in the CBA could change, but the one rule the NFL will follow until they dissolve is to give new england every single break humanly possible.
If somehow there is a CBA agreed to after 2011 but before the draft, the Owners will most likely have a meeting and vote on who drafts where, or it will be done by way of some form of lottery selection.

Thurmal
04-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Does anyone seriously believe their won't be a season next year??? There is too much money to be lost.

Agreement met by early-June. Book it.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Does anyone seriously believe their won't be a season next year??? There is too much money to be lost.

Agreement met by early-June. Book it.
Owners have plenty to gain by not playing-- and not paying. The TV contracts show it... and they'll get their money eventually.

Ingtar33
04-22-2011, 09:15 PM
they would keep this year's draft order.

Saratoga Slim
04-22-2011, 09:31 PM
they would keep this year's draft order.

While it probably would be the only fair way to do it, as of now, that's only speculation. There is currently nothing that provides for a 2012 draft.

However, there are two scenarios that I see in which it could become true:

1. there's a new CBA in place (which there will be), and the new CBA establishes the order in that manner, or delegates the authority to the league, who establishes it in that manner.

or

2. the injunction is granted, which lifts the lockout and requires the league to create a set of working rules for the 2011 season and perhaps beyond, until such time as the litigation is resolved and a new CBA is devised. Conceivably, that might also include the league setting an order for the 2012 draft.