PDA

View Full Version : Should we trade the No34, for a R1 in 2012

Blacksheep71
04-23-2011, 06:19 AM
Considering where the Bills are this coming year, I was wondering what merit there might be in trading away our No34 selection in 2011 for a Round 1 in 2012?

Irrespective of whom we select, I imagine we are likely to be drafting in the top of the 2012 draft anyways, so I wondered if it might actually make sense

1. A number of teams may get involved in what might be a QB stampede based on need rather than the quality of players available. Cincinatti, Arizona, Minnesota, and Washington all have a need having very little in the cupboard, and once Newton and Gabbert have gone, would teams wish to reach for the likes of Locker, Ponder, Mallett, and Dalton with their Round1?

If two teams particularly like a guy we might be able to pull a Panthers/49ers or Broncos/Seahawks type deal and get a Round1 in 2012

2. The merits of the extra Round1 are significiant. We can be directly involved in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes and have potential ammunition to move up.

If we are picking at No1, we then have the opportunity to add a LT (Riley Reiff, Nate Potter or Bobbie Massie) or a DL like Jared Crick or Baker Steinkuhler and grab a player like to be superior in quality to our selection at No34, unless someone falls

3. If we stick at No34, could we ourselves reach for a player? I think the class is deep in certain positions and we could easily find the same or similar player at No66.

Whilst I would like to see us win today, I'd rather wait to win tomorrow and maybe for the next decade beyond that.

In light of that, I'd be happy with a draft of

R1: Von Miller OLB - pass rush fixed
R2: TRADED for a R1'2012
R3: Jarvis Jenkins or Christian Ballard DE
R4b: Brandon Burton, Jalil Brown or DeMarcus Van Dyke CB - McGee isn't getting any younger
R4b: Greg Romeus DE/OLB - Wannstedt links make it worth the risk
R5: Ron Helu RB - the Thunder to CJs lightning
R6: Darius Morris OL - why is he falling? a steal this low
R7a: Alex Wujciak ILB - lunch pail blue collar thumper
R7b: Davonte Shannon SS - a football player who could well become a starter

I think even in R6 Morris can be a Day1 starter especially considering some of the dross we've had here. Hopefully 2 of Bell, Wang, Urbik, or Morris can be starters keeping Wood at RG until we can draft a starting LT like Reiff or Datko next year.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-23-2011, 06:21 AM
why would someone give us a 1 for a 2?

Don't Panic
04-23-2011, 07:33 AM

Because there is a guy on the board when that pick comes up that they really want... bad enough to give up a better pick later for that pick now. If it is a good team, it might only be a 4 or 5 pick slide for the opportunity to have a guy for another year. If it is a bad team, it depends how desperate they are (or how well they think they'll do next year).

I would definitely do it if every guy OBD felt really good about as a high 2nd was gone at #34.

Based on what has been said around here, not sure if you can trade for picks in future years though.

Saratoga Slim
04-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Good post. It's not a completely crazy thought.

With the caveat that the NFL has said that you should trade for outyear draft picks "at your own risk."

But on the face of it, if we could trade #34 for a 2012 1st rounder to a team unlikely to make the playoffs next year, without dropping out of the 2nd round completely, I'd strongly consider it, unless there was someone at #34 we felt we couldn't miss with. The Pats or Eagles would do that in a heartbeat.

The Jokeman
04-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Considering where the Bills are this coming year, I was wondering what merit there might be in trading away our No34 selection in 2011 for a Round 1 in 2012?

Irrespective of whom we select, I imagine we are likely to be drafting in the top of the 2012 draft anyways, so I wondered if it might actually make sense

Only if we get a lower round pick in the 2011 draft. It's foolish to trade a known pick #34 for an unknown pick in 2012 which might end up being pick #32 if said team we trade with happens to win the Super Bowl and what did we really gain? Not much except losing out on the chance to get a player who could make an impact in 2012 vs 2013. As again part of the reason the Bills have been so horrible recently is because of lack of production at their top picks (see CJ Spiller, Maybin) and/or trading them to other teams and acquiring lesser picks for them (see Marshawn Lynch).

Extremebillsfan247
04-23-2011, 09:40 AM
There will be somebody there at 34 that the Bills want. I doubt seriously any trade like that would happen. We are not the Patriots who could afford to make a move like that. JMO

alohabillsfan
04-23-2011, 11:45 AM
I think that would come into play if we trade down from 3 to say 7-10 and get another 2nd round pick. That really opens up the possibilities..

ServoBillieves
04-23-2011, 12:08 PM
We should trade all our picks for other picks so that we have more picks but better picks in the future. Then we should trade those picks for lesser but more picks.

ddaryl
04-23-2011, 12:47 PM
This draft is loaded with Defensive talent.. Why would we pass on that.

PromoTheRobot
04-23-2011, 02:42 PM
There is no guarantee there will be a draft in 2012 so trading for future picks comes with some risk.

PTR

psubills62
04-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Denver gave up a future first rounder for a late second rounder in Josh McDaniels' first year. Man, that guy was awful.

Well a lot of it depends on who is there and what team is trading. I'd be inclined to say no, mainly because of a few reasons:

1) there are so many teams that could be bad next year, it would be our luck to trade with a bad team who still ends up with lower pick (ahem, Seattle),
2) the chances are extremely high that a decent player that fills a need will still be on the board for us,
3) it's also possible we could simply move down in the second round, which I think I'd prefer,
4) and as PtR pointed out, the uncertainty with the CBA does make things a little more risky. However, I do NOT see the NFL going a whole year without playing any games and having that continue on into draft season. Not going to happen.

I'd love to collect future first rounders, but I just don't think it's worth it at this point.

CleveSteve
04-24-2011, 12:16 AM
From an outsider's perspective, I'd say yes. any team giving up a future first for a QB will likely be picking high the next year.

Then, if Buffalo has two 1st rounders, they will likely be able to trade up for Luck next year. Alternatively, they could take one of the other highly-ranked QB prospects AND an elite talent at another position next year.

Or, you could just draft Martez Wilson and hope for the best (or worst?)

YardRat
04-24-2011, 09:10 AM

Conventional wisdom is next year's picks are worth 1 round less than this year's picks, thus next year's #1 actually = a second this year.

psubills62
04-24-2011, 09:47 PM
From an outsider's perspective, I'd say yes. any team giving up a future first for a QB will likely be picking high the next year.

Then, if Buffalo has two 1st rounders, they will likely be able to trade up for Luck next year. Alternatively, they could take one of the other highly-ranked QB prospects AND an elite talent at another position next year.

Or, you could just draft Martez Wilson and hope for the best (or worst?)
I'll just say right now that no team will be trading away the ability to draft Andrew Luck. Even if it's Carolina, who will take Cam Newton (and took Jimmy Clausen last year). The Rams reportedly passed up a huge deal from Pittsburgh (Roethlisberger plus first round pick(s), etc.) to draft Bradford.

I can guarantee right now that no team will be trading up for Andrew Luck. The only way to get him will be to get the first overall pick.