• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Why both Gabbert and Newton will be on the board at #4

Took me a little while to get to this conclusion, but I don't see a QB going top 3 in this draft. If either of these guys gave me the impression that they were can't miss then I could see it, but after three months neither has proven to me that this is the case. I definitely don't see Gabbert going top 3 and I think that Carolina and Buffalo will see more value elsewhere and both pass on Cam.

Here's how I see it playing out:

1. Carolina - Dareus. I think Rivera will build from the lines out, figuring that he can give Claussen and Pike a year to see if they're worth anything before worrying about the QB position.

2. Denver - Peterson. To be honest, I'd like to say A.J. Green here since I think he is the best player in the draft, but Peterson is a close second and seems to have the impression by many of being #1. Could go either way.

3. Buffalo - Miller. I honestly don't think this is the way to go, especially with a bunch of paid bodies already playing OLB (even if they are mediocre), but I'm not sure who else warrants the pick besides a QB, and I don't think OBD wants one of those guys this high.... maybe at #10, but not at #3.

So that would leave Cincy with their choice between the two, should they want one. I honestly could conceivably see them passing on both QBs and going with whoever Denver passed on, but in the end I think they take Palmer seriously on his threat and draft his replacement.

I've been open to anything up until now, but at this point I'm pretty confident this is the way things will shake out. We'll see in 5 days...
  • elltrain22
    • Sep 2003

Re: Why both Gabbert and Newton will be on the board at #4

That could very easily happen. If it does, we have a prime opportunity to take alot of trade calls.
    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

the Bills will take Newton if he is there at #3....

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ddaryl
        I think your right. I also think Denver is going to pick Von Miller at 2. Carolina takes Dareus number 1. Peterson wont be picked until somewhere between 6 and 9th overall.

Comment

• dog14787
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by ddaryl
          I agree, no way we pass up Cam Newton,

Blaine Gabbert is also very possible If Newton is gone in my opinion. Gabbert just looks natural at the QB position, very athletic and highly intelligent, the full package.

I like them both...GO SABRES!!!!
          Last edited by Figster; 04-23-2011, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• Novacane
            • Jul 2002

I hope Cam is there so you guys can see how wrong you are about Newton. He is so overrated in the media. I think there are a lot of NFL people who don't see it the same way. Charley Casserly was on NFL network last night. He thinks if Carolina does not take
            Newton there is a good chance he will drop out of the top 10. He was specifically asked won't Buffalo take him. He said he does not think they will.

Comment

• Novacane
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by dog14787
              I agree, no way we pass up Cam Newton,

Blaine Gabbert is also very possible If Newton is gone in my opinion. Gabbert just looks natural at the QB position, very athletic and highly intelligent, the full package.
              ![/B][/I]

Which is why if they are hell bent on taking a QB they should take Gabbert even if Newton is there. Newton does not fit the description you just gave of Gabbert.

Comment

• dog14787
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Novacane
                I hope Cam is there so you guys can see how wrong you are about Newton. He is so overrated in the media. I think there are a lot of NFL people who don't see it the same way. Charley Casserly was on NFL network last night. He thinks if Carolina does not take
                Newton there is a good chance he will drop out of the top 10. He was specifically asked won't Buffalo take him. He said he does not think they will.

Buddy Nix has a handle/inside track on Cam Newton, probably better then any GM in the league.

No way he passes up Newton...

SABRES GAME WINNING!!!

Comment

• dog14787
                  • Oct 2010

Which is why if they are hell bent on taking a QB they should take Gabbert even if Newton is there. Newton does not fit the description you just gave of Gabbert.

I've really warmed up to Blaine Gabbert and would be very content If we drafted him.

I think Gabbert and Newton are both franchise material.

Comment

• Novacane
                    • Jul 2002

Buddy Nix has a handle/inside track on Cam Newton, probably better then any GM in the league.

No way he passes up Newton...

SABRES GAME WINNING!!!

We probably won't know if all the Carolina rumors are true but I'll bet you something the Bills don't take him if he is there. What should we bet?

Comment

• Novacane
                      • Jul 2002

I've really warmed up to Blaine Gabbert and would be very content If we drafted him.

I think Gabbert and Newton are both franchise material.

I don't want them to draft a QB. I think there are bigger needs. If they do take one I hope it's Gabbert. I'm not sold on him but would give Nix the benefit of the doubt if he is sold on him enough to take him. I'm rock solid sold that Cam is going to be a bust. Talent alone does not make one a franchise QB. That interview with Gruden was the final nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned. I will be depressed if they draft him.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                        • Sep 2008

We probably won't know if all the Carolina rumors are true but I'll bet you something the Bills don't take him if he is there. What should we bet?
                        If Dareus and Miler go 1, and 2, I'll put up 16k in zonebucks that the Bills take Newton at 3.

Comment

• Novacane
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
                          If Dareus and Miler go 1, and 2, I'll put up 16k in zonebucks that the Bills take Newton at 3.

Deal

Comment

• Novacane
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247

Wait. I did not read that before I said deal. What if Dareus and Peterson go 1 and 2? Or Dareus and a surprised pick? I'll bet that the Bills pass on Newton if he's there no matter who was taken 1 &2. Sound good?

Comment

• dog14787
                              • Oct 2010

I've already bet all my zonebucks that Buffalo drafts a QB in the 1st, If it wasn't for that I would go all in with you.

Comment

Working...
                              X