PDA

View Full Version : There goes the season

OpIv37
04-24-2011, 06:01 PM
No way we take game 7 in Philly. 4 of our top 6 fwds are hurt, we blew 3-1 and 3-0 leads in consecutive games, Pronger is back.

Nothing has changed with this team. They just had a few good months.

Dr. Lecter
04-24-2011, 06:22 PM
No way we take game 7 in Philly. 4 of our top 6 fwds are hurt, we blew 3-1 and 3-0 leads in consecutive games, Pronger is back.

Nothing has changed with this team. They just had a few good months.
Oh come on.

If you don't think anything has changed, you are being foolish.

BTW, you are wrong on the forwards.

Roy is playing.

BTW - before somebody starts **** - I am as pissed as anybody. So take your accepting mediocrity or being happy with losing bull**** that somebody will throw out and shove it.

BertSquirtgum
04-24-2011, 06:30 PM
you are correct. this series is over. time to think about how we can spend pegulas money and make this team into a stanley cup contender. miller needs more help, that's a definite.

MikeInRoch
04-24-2011, 06:33 PM
So if they manage to win game 7, how many games are you going to disappear for?

BertSquirtgum
04-24-2011, 06:37 PM
i won't disappear but i truly believe the series is over. i felt that way the second they scored goal #4.

Crisis
04-24-2011, 06:39 PM
The series has me excited for the future, but right now there's almost no way of us winning game 7.

if not for awful philly goaltending, this series would be over. philly has DOMINATED us.

i wouldn't even say we're letting up on leads, we scored some weak goals while philly was outshooting us like crazy.

Crisis
04-24-2011, 06:42 PM
oh, and i think philly dominating our forwards says more about how good they really are, then against us.

their top 6 is amazing.

if they had average goaltending they'd be my favorite to win the cup

SabreEleven
04-24-2011, 06:44 PM
This series and season might be over this but it isn't the end, It's just the beginning. In Pegula We Trust

Michael82
04-24-2011, 06:45 PM
This series is definitely over, unless there is a miracle and Derek Roy is 100% and plays like a Sidney Crosby or something.

Michael82
04-24-2011, 06:46 PM
I guess the good news is that we don't have to see our team get crushed by Washington like the Rangers did.

chernobylwraiths
04-24-2011, 07:05 PM
i won't disappear but i truly believe the series is over. i felt that way the second they scored goal #4.

I think for a lot of people, you could replace "scored goal 4" with lost game two, or gave up a 3 goal lead in game 5. I am by no means an optimist, but they have come back several times this season and proved people (and me) wrong. I am not discounting them now.

Oh, and "never win game seven in Philly" is stupid considering they have won 2 of the 3 games they have played in Philly.

MikeInRoch
04-24-2011, 07:09 PM
I guess the good news is that we don't have to see our team get crushed by Washington like the Rangers did.

I wouldn't exactly call that series "getting crushed". It's not like any game was a blow out.

Yasgur's Farm
04-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Wrong on the forward situation OP...
1) Roy returns and offsets Connolly injury.
2) Hecht returns and moves Ellis to healthy scratch.
3) Boyes can then stay at his natural right wing and offset Pominville injury.

I think, considering the returns, we're actually better off than before Pominville and Connolly got hurt. That's not just homer optimism... It's logical.

elltrain22
04-24-2011, 07:22 PM
You guys are ****** nuts if you think this is over. Are you ****** kidding me its over?? What kind of fans are you?? Yeah, we choked this game away, but game 7, Ryan Miller, and we're already a good team on the road anyways, we have a very good chance to win! Its gonna be tough, but please don't throw towel in so easily.

YardRat
04-24-2011, 07:53 PM
"Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?"

MikeInRoch
04-24-2011, 08:00 PM
By the way, I love how it's the team's fault they have injuries.

OpIv37
04-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Oh come on.

If you don't think anything has changed, you are being foolish.

BTW, you are wrong on the forwards.

Roy is playing.

BTW - before somebody starts **** - I am as pissed as anybody. So take your accepting mediocrity or being happy with losing bull**** that somebody will throw out and shove it.

Really? What has changed?

We still have top fwds who don't score. We still aren't tough enough along the blue line. We still can't squeeze out more than 1 good period in a game. Our only trade deadline acquisition- Boyes- has gone completely cold in the playoffs. The PP has been slightly better but we still failed to score on a 5 on 3 that lasted over a minute. We still need Miller to be perfect to get a win, and sometimes even that isn't enough.

All the problems that held this team back for the last 4 years are still there. I don't know how we managed to mask them for 3 months, but they are still there.

OpIv37
04-24-2011, 08:05 PM
You guys are ****** nuts if you think this is over. Are you ****** kidding me its over?? What kind of fans are you?? Yeah, we choked this game away, but game 7, Ryan Miller, and we're already a good team on the road anyways, we have a very good chance to win! Its gonna be tough, but please don't throw towel in so easily.

the team that pissed away 3-0 and 3-1 leads in the last two games has a good chance to win? Yeah, ok....

OpIv37
04-24-2011, 08:06 PM
So if they manage to win game 7, how many games are you going to disappear for?

They won't win game 7.

OpIv37
04-24-2011, 08:08 PM
And honestly, if we do win, what difference does it make? We then have to go on the road against Washington, a much better team that has nothing to do but rest for the next 5 days.

If we make it to the next round, the Caps will sweep us.

generalmills
04-24-2011, 08:11 PM
They won there in game 1, they won there in game 5. Is it so out of the realm of possibility that they win there in game 7???

MikeInRoch
04-24-2011, 08:11 PM
the team that pissed away 3-0 and 3-1 leads in the last two games has a good chance to win? Yeah, ok....

The team that has won 3 of 6 against this opponent has a reasonably good chance to win, yes.

elltrain22
04-24-2011, 08:12 PM

Yeah they do!! I can understand your pessimism, given the circumstances the last 2 games, but I just got a feeling Ryan Miller is gonna play his butt off game 7.

generalmills
04-24-2011, 08:13 PM
And honestly, if we do win, what difference does it make? We then have to go on the road against Washington, a much better team that has nothing to do but rest for the next 5 days.

It might be sunny out today but I'm not going to go outside and enjoy it because it's going to rain tomorrow.

granted it was a tough loss today, but wow...

OpIv37
04-24-2011, 08:14 PM
The team that has won 3 of 6 against this opponent has a reasonably good chance to win, yes.

except for the fact that they played a lot worse in the last two than they did in the 1st 4, they are on the road, they have even more injuries, Philly got Pronger back.... but sure, let's selectively only look at the information that leads us to the conclusion we want to hear.

MikeInRoch
04-24-2011, 08:18 PM
except for the fact that they played a lot worse in the last two than they did in the 1st 4, they are on the road, they have even more injuries, Philly got Pronger back.... but sure, let's selectively only look at the information that leads us to the conclusion we want to hear.

I'm *sure* you are never guilty of that. You know, besides, looking at just how crappy the Philly goal tending has been all series long.

So lets talk numbers. What percentage chance to you give Buffalo in game 7? 0%?

Captain Obvious
04-24-2011, 08:24 PM
You better hope your right OP because lately you have been wrong more than not.. Your credibility has taken a huge hit lately

1) Predicted the Sabres wouldn't make the Playoffs
2) Predicted the sabres would lose game 6 after the Flyers tied the game 3-3

And how I Wish Ebenezer would not have let you post during these playoffs..

Philagape
04-24-2011, 08:30 PM
You better hope your right OP because lately you have been wrong more than not.. Your credibility has taken a huge hit lately

1) Predicted the Sabres wouldn't make the Playoffs
2) Predicted the sabres would lose game 6 after the Flyers tied the game 3-3

And how I Wish Ebenezer would not have let you post during these playoffs..

He's doing his part to get the Sabres to win. He's a great fan! Their lucky charm!

BertSquirtgum
04-24-2011, 08:31 PM

get off the hooch

Dr. Lecter
04-24-2011, 08:33 PM

"Even if I am wrong. I am right"

Dude - I often defend you. But you are being an unreasonable ass right now.

This is what - the 4th time the Sabres season was over in your eyes?

First it was a miracle to make the playoffs. Then, during the Philly game on 4/8 they were done. Then they were done in game 5.

Come on.

Jesus. You act like they are getting blown our every game.

The goals scored in this series with a goaltender in the net are dead even

I know you do not like that fact, because it does not support your case, but it is true.

This has been an even series between these two teams. Each team is 2-1 on the road.

Not sure what you are watching, but it clearly is not the same **** anybody else is watching.

BertSquirtgum
04-24-2011, 08:33 PM
They won there in game 1, they won there in game 5. Is it so out of the realm of possibility that they win there in game 7???

yes

Cleve
04-24-2011, 08:34 PM
This game today was almost a repeat of Friday's game - except that this time, Philly won in OT instead of the Sabres. Not looking good for Tuesday, I'm afraid.

SpillerThrills
04-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Philly got Pronger back....

Pronger played all of 4:33.... he was limited to the PP.... so basically they played with 5 Defense 98% of the game.

Scumbag College
04-24-2011, 09:09 PM
All we need is Miller to get hot like he was in Games 1 and 4. I'd take Miller over the Waterboy.

OpIv37
04-24-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm *sure* you are never guilty of that. You know, besides, looking at just how crappy the Philly goal tending has been all series long.

So lets talk numbers. What percentage chance to you give Buffalo in game 7? 0%?
If it was 0 there would be no point in playing the game, but I put it as close to zero as possible without reaching 0. Just to make it simple, I give them less than 1%.

Oh, and despite craptacular goaltending, Philly won 3 games and only allowed one goal in 2 of the 3 they lost. Hmmmmm... Selective memory again?

Also, no, I absolutely never do that because if I did, I'd predict the team to win a lot more because that's what I want.

MikeInRoch
04-24-2011, 09:17 PM
If it was 0 there would be no point in playing the game, but I put it as close to zero as possible without reaching 0. Just to make it simple, I give them less than 1%.

The evidence we have seen earlier in this series does not support that estimate AT ALL. Either you are ignoring evidence or almost completely basing that on emotion.

Oh, and despite craptacular goaltending, Philly won 3 games and only allowed one goal in 2 of the 3 they lost. Hmmmmm... Selective memory again?

They won 3 OUT OF 6. That's not even a majority. And yes, they lost 2 games where the allowed a single goal. You are conveniently forgetting that in 2 games in this series they scored ZERO goals.

I'll agree with you that the cards are stacked against them. But I don't think anything we've seen pushes the number any below about 33%.

SabreEleven
04-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Here is something to bring you down...Tuesday could be the last game ever called by RJ.

OpIv37
04-24-2011, 09:20 PM

First it was a miracle to make the playoffs. Then, during the Philly game on 4/8 they were done. Then they were done in game 5.

Come on.

I know you do not like that fact, because it does not support your case, but it is true.

This has been an even series between these two teams. Each team is 2-1 on the road.

Not sure what you are watching, but it clearly is not the same **** anybody else is watching.
What I am watching is reality catching up with a team that has been playing way over their heads. I watched them barely win after blowing a 3-0 lead and I watched them lose after having a 3-1 lead. I watched Miller stand on his head in all 3 of the wins and desperately try to cover for the rest of the team.

Don't try to make this about me. Maybe I overreact to what I see and maybe I get pissed and write the team off too soon, but that doesn't change the fact that the problems I see are very, very real and are coming back to bite this team.

Crisis
04-24-2011, 10:44 PM
What I am watching is reality catching up with a team that has been playing way over their heads. I watched them barely win after blowing a 3-0 lead and I watched them lose after having a 3-1 lead. I watched Miller stand on his head in all 3 of the wins and desperately try to cover for the rest of the team.

Don't try to make this about me. Maybe I overreact to what I see and maybe I get pissed and write the team off too soon, but that doesn't change the fact that the problems I see are very, very real and are coming back to bite this team.

i agree with you that we're probably done, but one big difference is i'm actually excited about the future unlike when we lost last year.

we have a future norris candidate on the blueline, a bunch of other young solid blueliners.....we have an infusion of young talent already on the team with a bunch more talent ready to make the jump soon, we have a vezina goaltender in his prime, and we have the "old core" still (roy, poms, vanek etc)

but the big thing is the ownership. you know (well, we hope) pegula isn't going to be afraid to add that one chip the team is missing for a championship, and isn't going to let another briere/drury fiasco happen again.

i'm legitimately excited for the future of this team, i don't think anyone expected to win the cup this year....and while beating the flyers would be nice, in 2-3 years when this team is a real contender it'll all be irrelevant.

yeah, it sucks to not "win now," but i think the team finally has ownership that you can get behind and believe in....to go along with the young talent.

THATHURMANATOR
04-24-2011, 11:27 PM
My God we could easily win game seven.. Glad you bunch of giving up pussies don't run the show....

Michael82
04-24-2011, 11:59 PM
I'll admit that I'm mad as hell and disgusted after their performance on Sunday. But you guys are right. When their back is against the wall, watch out for the Sabres. They could easily steal game 7 like they did with Game 1. I would never bet against Ryan Miller and would take him anyday over any of the scrubs that the Flyers got in net.

BertSquirtgum
04-25-2011, 12:02 AM
My God we could easily win game seven.. Glad you bunch of giving up pussies don't run the show....

take your blinders off mega mind

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-25-2011, 04:34 AM
Damn, what team have you been watching since January. I feel confident this team wins Tuesday. When/if this team gets eliminated is the day I say "there goes the season."

Dr. Lecter
04-25-2011, 05:06 AM

I never said that this team did not have problems. Of course they do. They also have strengths.

All NHL teams have problems. Including the,*gasp*, Flyers. And their problems have bit them in the ass too.

Point is, the season is NOT completely over. Despite your claims.

I assume you will try to watch Tuesday. Is that correct?

If so, then even you think the season is not over.

CuseJetsFan83
04-25-2011, 05:24 AM
the season isn't over until i see the tri captains leading the team in a handshake at the end of a series against their opponent....... so until then, i can still dream

Cleve
04-25-2011, 06:05 AM
If the Sabres couldn't win Sunday and clinch the series, at home in Buffalo, twice with two goal leads, they're not gonna win in Philly. I hate to be negative, but that's the reality. They had momentum and should have won, but didn't. I don't even want to watch now on Tuesday.

Does anyone think Ryan Miller's girlfriend is a distraction for him as the rumor goes? He sure doesn't seem to be the lights-out Ryan Miller of last year, that's for certain. His performance is very erratic this year. He was awesome in two games of this series, but he had a Lalime-like game, and couldn't protect 2-goal leads - twice - yesterday.

Dr. Lecter
04-25-2011, 06:25 AM
If the Sabres couldn't win Sunday and clinch the series, at home in Buffalo, twice with two goal leads, they're not gonna win in Philly. I hate to be negative, but that's the reality. They had momentum and should have won, but didn't. I don't even want to watch now on Tuesday.

Does anyone think Ryan Miller's girlfriend is a distraction for him as the rumor goes? He sure doesn't seem to be the lights-out Ryan Miller of last year, that's for certain. His performance is very erratic this year. He was awesome in two games of this series, but he had a Lalime-like game, and couldn't protect 2-goal leads - twice - yesterday.
What?

Lalime-like?

Really?

Beebe's Kid
04-25-2011, 06:32 AM

Come on.

Actually, if you go back and looked at threads, I am pretty sure it is a lot more than four. Remember for 70 games or so, they wouldn't make the Playoffs and all the fans needed to wake up and stop supporting mediocrity. Then, if they made the Playoffs, they were getting swept, because there was no way they could play a 7 game series...they just aren't good."

Not that it is exactly a compliment, but Op was joined by Paul Hamilton, Sully, Schopp, and about 95% of this board. Everybody is scared to say they are rooting for a team, or they can do it. It is very fashionable in some circles to repeat, ad nauseum, that they can't/won't do it.

It is almost a sickness that has them rooting against the team. They weren't supposed to make they Playoffs, and they certainly weren't supposed to hang with God's Team...unfortunately they are doing just that.

Playing over their heads is bull****...."they wouldn't have won with out Miller" and all the other excuses for them winning sound like a third grader. Of course they wouldn't have won the two 1-0 zero games without Miller...that's why he gets paid, and I am not sure there has ever been a team that would have won a shut out without good play from their goalie.

It is funny, and it makes you wonder why people watch. I know that the two most exciting words in sports are Game Seven, and we've got one. I am going to root for them, which is apparently "blind homerism," good luck to all you fans that need them to lose to validate your season long predictions. Although you might want to try grabbing the heating pack, putting it on your crams, and taking a fist full of Midol, and actually enjoying the game...we won't tell anybody that you wanted them to win.

Beebe's Kid
04-25-2011, 06:37 AM
What?

Lalime-like?

Really?

Philadelphia does have one of the worst offenses in the league. There has to be something wrong. The two, that is right...not one, but TWO, SHUTOUTS were obviously flukes.

Seriously, this is pathetic. The fix is always in, isn't it? Lalime like? Do you guys watch these games?

hydro
04-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Here is something to bring you down...Tuesday could be the last game ever called by RJ.

Where did you get that idea?

hydro
04-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Pronger played all of 4:33.... he was limited to the PP.... so basically they played with 5 Defense 98% of the game.

Nope, they dressed 7 D-men...

Cleve
04-25-2011, 07:09 AM
What?

Lalime-like?

Really?

Miller gave up 5 goals in that game - how many does he have to give up in one game to be Lalime-like?

don137
04-25-2011, 07:13 AM
The Sabres has been outplayed for most the series. The only reason it has gone 7 games is goaltending in the two 1-0 Sabre victories. If the Sabres advance it is very likely due to Miller. I have been disappointed with the play of a lot of players in the series such as Montador, Goose, Butler, Boyes, and expected more from Stafford.

Cleve
04-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Lalime like? Do you guys watch these games?

Yeah, and I saw the "Best goalie in the league" as Miller was once touted, fail to protect a 2 goal lead - on HOME ice - in a game that would have won them the series - not just once did he fail to protect it but TWICE. Not exactly a stellar performance for Ryan Miller - I have to wonder if his thoughts were on his girlfriend once again instead of the game?

An Lalime-like is just an expression - if I saw a good pitcher give up 5 runs in an inning, I'd also dub his performance "AJ Burnett-like" Doesn't necessarily mean he's as horrible as AJ Burnett, but on that day, yeah he was. LOL

SabreEleven
04-25-2011, 07:36 AM
The Sabres has been outplayed for most the series. The only reason it has gone 7 games is goaltending in the two 1-0 Sabre victories. If the Sabres advance it is very likely due to Miller. I have been disappointed with the play of a lot of players in the series such as Montador, Goose, Butler, Boyes, and expected more from Stafford.

That is not the only reason. ****ty Philly goaltending is the reason the Sabres won Game 5 and the reason the almost won yesterday.

SabreEleven
04-25-2011, 07:38 AM
Where did you get that idea?

He's been flirting with retirement for years. I'm hoping that with Pegula on watch he'll stay on longer.

don137
04-25-2011, 07:39 AM
That is not the only reason. ****ty Philly goaltending is the reason the Sabres won Game 5 and the reason the almost won yesterday.
No argument there. Goaltending has been the difference. Philly has a good team but bad goaltending.

Dr. Lecter
04-25-2011, 07:39 AM
Miller gave up 5 goals in that game - how many does he have to give up in one game to be Lalime-like?
Which of the goals that he gave up were soft or bad goals?

ddaryl
04-25-2011, 07:40 AM
Even if this team beats Philly... The will not get past the Capitals nor the Penguins... They aren't playing good enough hockey to go much farther IMO..

Take away Philly's craptastic goal-tending in this series and the Sabres would be eliminated already...

The fact is the team as a whole is not playing good enough/consistent hockey to go much farther.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Damn, what team have you been watching since January. I feel confident this team wins Tuesday. When/if this team gets eliminated is the day I say "there goes the season."

What team have you been watching for the last 4 years? What team have you been watching for the last 3 games?

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 08:02 AM
I never said that this team did not have problems. Of course they do. They also have strengths.

All NHL teams have problems. Including the,*gasp*, Flyers. And their problems have bit them in the ass too.

Point is, the season is NOT completely over. Despite your claims.

I assume you will try to watch Tuesday. Is that correct?

If so, then even you think the season is not over.

I'll watch because unlike most of you, I can watch the games without first convincing myself that the team is better than it is.

That's right- for all the crap I take around here, I still watch all the games, even when I'm convinced that they are going to lose.

THATHURMANATOR
04-25-2011, 08:05 AM
take your blinders off mega mind
Wait they can't win the game Tuesday???

I don't know why people have such loser mentalities....

Cleve
04-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Even if this team beats Philly... The will not get past the Capitals nor the Penguins... They aren't playing good enough hockey to go much farther IMO..

Take away Philly's craptastic goal-tending in this series and the Sabres would be eliminated already...

The fact is the team as a whole is not playing good enough/consistent hockey to go much farther.

Sabres have been over-achieving the last month.

Philly has been under-achieiving during the same period.

Inevitably, the pendulum will swing back to correct the situation. I think we're seeing that now. Tyler Myers was standing around like a cigar store Indian in the Friday game, looking clueless, and Montador took yet another another dumb, senseless penalty. Very lucky to have won that game.

Unless the Sabres get higher quality replacements for those two, they won't go far in any future post-seasons.

THATHURMANATOR
04-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Another brilliant analysis.

Yes they better get a replacement for Tyler Myers... because yeah he is only our best defenseman and one of the best up and coming players in the league. To even bring it up like there was a possibility he would be benched is just great!!! :shakeno:

Montador I agree. He is lost out there. No confidence at all. Can barely make a 5 foot pass at this point.

Sekera back would be key but I haven't heard anything about him.

SabreEleven
04-25-2011, 08:24 AM

Because we're from Buffalo.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 08:26 AM

Maybe because the team keeps LOSING.

Everyone is so excited about Pegula, and even I agree there's a good chance will be good for this franchise. But since Pegula took over, the only difference on the the actual ice is Boyes and.... Boyes. And he's gone stone cold since the playoffs started.

Everyone gets so excited about the team's record for the last 3 months, but it's the same team that pissed away the first 3 months of the season. The core is the same group of guys that choked in the first round of the playoffs last year and failed to make the playoffs the 2 years before that.

And it's the EXACT same group of guys that pissed away a 3-0 and 3-1 lead in back to back games. You can call it a "loser mentality" all you want, but the fact is that this team has done very little to inspire confidence. If they weren't losers, this series would have ended yesterday.

Michael82
04-25-2011, 08:28 AM

I think it's more because his defense sucks. Part of the reason why Miller was so good last year was due to his defense in front of him. Tyler Myers was great and both Tallinder and Lydman helped stop shots and not turn over the puck the way that Butler and others have done this year. They are definitely missed. Pegula has even said this a couple times that it was a mistake to let BOTH of them go.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 08:34 AM

I agree with your first paragraph but not your second one. Despite struggling a little in the regular season, Miller has been great in the playoffs. He has 2 shutouts in 6 games, and he made some amazing saves to keep the Sabres in it, even in a couple of the losses. The D has been hanging him out to dry. The OT goal yesterday was a perfect example: he made the initial stop then Butler failed to clear out his man and the guy was wide open on the doorstep. Miller has stopped a bunch of those in the playoffs, but those plays strongly favor the shooter and no goalie is going to stop them every time- few will even stop them a majority of the time.

I honestly think Miller is the only reason we managed to stay in this one until Game 7.

Jan Reimers
04-25-2011, 08:35 AM
We still have a shot, but it doesn't look good.

The Flyers' size, physicality and experience are really starting to show. They outworked and out hit us in game 6, and just forechecked us out of the building.

I'm not giving up, but I think we're going to have to add some weapons in the offseason to become truly competitive with the big boys.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 08:42 AM
The Flyers' size, physicality and experience are really starting to show. They outworked and out hit us in game 6, and just forechecked us out of the building.

Watching them outwork us along the boards consistently was driving me insane yesterday. Early in the series, the Sabres were at least holding their own in that regard, but yesterday the Flyers were coming away with the puck after every scrum. It got really old.

trapezeus
04-25-2011, 08:52 AM
OP you can't have it both ways. the top 6 for the sabres have been weak all series. with flashes of excitement but nothing consistent that can be depended on. losing connolly and pominville makes zero difference.

both teams look awful and incapable of moving forward in the next round. it depends on which team shows up for which team. i think either team can win game 7 and i think round 2 will kill whatever excitement either team had from winning game 7.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 09:06 AM
OP you can't have it both ways. the top 6 for the sabres have been weak all series. with flashes of excitement but nothing consistent that can be depended on. losing connolly and pominville makes zero difference.

both teams look awful and incapable of moving forward in the next round. it depends on which team shows up for which team. i think either team can win game 7 and i think round 2 will kill whatever excitement either team had from winning game 7.

Losing Connolly makes zero difference- I'll agree with that.

Pominville has actually been playing well. It was 3-0 when he went down on Friday. The Sabres proceeded to blow that 3-0 lead then another 3-1 lead yesterday without him. They've been outscored 8-5 since he went out.

SabreEleven
04-25-2011, 09:07 AM

Everyone is so excited about Pegula, and even I agree there's a good chance will be good for this franchise. But since Pegula took over, the only difference on the the actual ice is Boyes and.... Boyes. And he's gone stone cold since the playoffs started.

Everyone gets so excited about the team's record for the last 3 months, but it's the same team that pissed away the first 3 months of the season. The core is the same group of guys that choked in the first round of the playoffs last year and failed to make the playoffs the 2 years before that.

And it's the EXACT same group of guys that pissed away a 3-0 and 3-1 lead in back to back games. You can call it a "loser mentality" all you want, but the fact is that this team has done very little to inspire confidence. If they weren't losers, this series would have ended yesterday.

Pegula's Regime only had a week before the trade deadline to change this roster. I believe they did the best they could in that time. This roster should be about 25 percent different come Sept 2011. This only the beginning of the Pegula era. It's the silver lining.

THATHURMANATOR
04-25-2011, 09:09 AM

I can call it "loser mentality" because that is what it is. It is weak.

Who knows if they will win tomorrow. It is surely VERY possible though.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 09:10 AM
I can call it "loser mentality" because that is what it is. It is weak.

Who knows if they will win tomorrow. It is surely VERY possible though.

it's technically possible. No one capable of looking at their play objectively would say it's "very" possible.

trapezeus
04-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Losing Connolly makes zero difference- I'll agree with that.

Pominville has actually been playing well. It was 3-0 when he went down on Friday. The Sabres proceeded to blow that 3-0 lead then another 3-1 lead yesterday without him. They've been outscored 8-5 since he went out.

I don't buy the correlation between pominville and the outscored 8-5.

pominville has not been physical,he's avoided contact, and scored one goal. He's hardly been a force.

He's great on the PK on their second line. he's atrocious on the PP.

this team has a number of people who step up each game and others who step down each game. we need more people to get up on tuesday. I give them a 50/50 shot of winning this game. neither team has impressed me to think they have much of a shot in round 2.

THATHURMANATOR
04-25-2011, 09:21 AM
it's technically possible. No one capable of looking at their play objectively would say it's "very" possible.
It is a hell of a lot more than Technically possible.

I would not be surprised by any possible out come.

Everything from a Sabres blowout win to a Philly blowout win.

THATHURMANATOR
04-25-2011, 09:22 AM
I don't buy the correlation between pominville and the outscored 8-5.

pominville has not been physical,he's avoided contact, and scored one goal. He's hardly been a force.

He's great on the PK on their second line. he's atrocious on the PP.

this team has a number of people who step up each game and others who step down each game. we need more people to get up on tuesday. I give them a 50/50 shot of winning this game. neither team has impressed me to think they have much of a shot in round 2.
IMO Connolly has ONLY been good on PK. I feel that any hardworking player(Ellis, Gerbe, Kaleta) could replicate that. He has offered nothing 5 on 5 or PP.

hydro
04-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Interesting article about goaltending.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Stat-Nerd-Sunday-Better-measuring-NHL-goalie-gr;_ylt=AjY6aQAk7..zfkPVpHYUXbp7vLYF?urn=nhl-wp3312

ChristopherWalken
04-25-2011, 10:16 AM
This series:

This team is averaging near 3 goals a game against Philly and despite being out shot 2-1 Miller still has 2 shutouts, both in Philly.

I think the offense has been spot on considering the injuries. Miller is playing better than average. The Sabres PP has been better than Philly. The PK has been Top 5 of the league (90.3%).

If I had to pick on one area I would say the Sabres defense is what needs tweeking. They seem to lay back a bit when Miller is in goal and the team has a lead.

Honestly, I think all the pressure is on Philly here. Their goal tending has been atrocious most times and having given Buffalo 2 games already (shutouts mind you) at home has got to have them coming into this game twisted up a bit.

If anyone chokes here Philly does. Buffalo comes into this ranked 7th in the conference and has played hard nosed hockey against the 2nd ranked team in the conference.

I think the Sabres have a serious shot here to embarrass Philly and move on to the next round.

G Wolly
04-25-2011, 10:20 AM
It sounds cliche and cheesy, but we need to play 60 minutes of hockey.

We've started these games strong, especially the last two, building up multiple goal leads just to sit back and try to defend it instead of staying on the offensive and continuing to attack.

If there is a time for our guys to realize that, it's now. We an't keep giving away 3 goal leads to this team, and if it happens one more time tomorrow, we'll be sent home.

I don't blame Miller for the loss, but I sure as hell blame him for that OT goal.

ChristopherWalken
04-25-2011, 10:24 AM

We've started these games strong, especially the last two, building up multiple goal leads just to sit back and try to defend it instead of staying on the offensive and continuing to attack.

If there is a time for our guys to realize that, it's now. We an't keep giving away 3 goal leads to this team, and if it happens one more time tomorrow, we'll be sent home.

I don't blame Miller for the loss, but I sure as hell blame him for that OT goal.

Perhaps he should have made that save but having faced 48 shots at that point.... 49 shots on net shouldn't happen. But I agree, play a full game with the same type of aggressiveness and the results would be different.

G Wolly
04-25-2011, 10:30 AM
For a goalie that he's supposed to be, that's a stop you make. Why did he flop over and try to jump on it?

If he put his left leg down along the ice, being a butterfly goalie, that shot doesn't go in.

Maybe they would have tucked in a rebound, but not an empty net shovel-in.

Ebenezer
04-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Man....reading some of the posts in this thread convinces me that they think the Sabres are the NHL equivilant to the Bills...a 4-12 team with very little talent and no heart...and every win is because the other team had a bad game or they were blessed with lucky bounces.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 10:33 AM

I read in the BN today that we are outscoring Philly 11-5 in the first, but they are outscoring us 8-2 in the 2nd and 3-2 in the 3rd.

It's almost like we need to come out of the first period with a 5 goal lead to win.

G Wolly
04-25-2011, 10:37 AM
It's almost like we need to come out of the first period with some balls.

Fixed.

SkateZilla
04-25-2011, 11:06 AM
This series is definitely over, unless there is a miracle and Derek Roy is 100% and plays like a Sidney Crosby or something.

We are taking TC out of the Lineup, a player that makes me cring on the PP and in the neutral zone, as long as someone replaces him thats "+" By itself

G Wolly
04-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Well technically, Mike Richards took Connolly out of the lineup.

psubills62
04-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Why on earth are people saying "if Philly had even mediocre goaltending this series would be over"? They don't. Just like the Sabres don't even have mediocre forwards, and have had some lousy defense outside of Myers. So why do these hypotheticals apply to Philly, but not Buffalo? Why isn't it "if Buffalo had a forward that could score, this series would be over?" Because it probably would be...one more goal in regulation last night would have won them the series.

Oh, I forgot, the hypotheticals do apply to Buffalo: "if we didn't have Miller, we'd be gone by now." Same thing...we've got Miller who has played quite well in at least two games, so what's the point of saying that, exactly?

The loss made me sick and I can't shake the feeling they're going to lose Game 7, but feeling crappy about the Sabres right now doesn't mean people can make stupid arguments that have no bearing on reality.

SkateZilla
04-25-2011, 12:27 PM
What if buffalo's Dmen cleared the puck away from the front of the net instead of engaging in shoving matches with Philly players, or instead of dropping to their knees in front of miller.

at least 4 goals in the last 2 games could have been prevented had the player in the area stayed on his feet and cleared the puck off the rebound instead of diving and trying to block a point blank shot from 4 feet out. last night's OT goal was the same, why sit there and try to hook his stick, and not clear the puck to the corner or two feet to your left so miller can freeze it,

Ebenezer
04-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Why on earth are people saying "if Philly had even mediocre goaltending this series would be over"?

Philly does have mediocre goaltending. If it were bad this series would have been over a long time ago.

Bufftp
04-25-2011, 01:25 PM
conversely with Phillys goal tending issues, including the play of Boucher who was pulled from the nets with 3 softies earlier starting tomorrow would any objective observer say it's a lock for Philly.

Sabres win tomorrow.

Captain Obvious
04-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Just to make it simple, I give them less than 1%.

That is a incredibly dumb thing to say

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 02:32 PM
That is a incredibly dumb thing to say

Why?

They are playing a more talented team. They are riddled with injuries. They are on the road. Their confidence has to be shaken after blowing a 3 goal lead and a two goal lead in consecutive games. And they had been playing over their heads just to get to this point in the first place. This is the same team that pissed away the first 3 months of the season.

They are going to come out nervous and flat and Philly will pounce on them.

G Wolly
04-25-2011, 03:04 PM
This time, I share Op's negativity.

In the regular season I'd worry about it and move on and not let it bother me.

But now, we either win and move on or get bounced in the first round again, and I feel like it'll be the latter.

don137
04-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Why?

They are playing a more talented team. They are riddled with injuries. They are on the road. Their confidence has to be shaken after blowing a 3 goal lead and a two goal lead in consecutive games. And they had been playing over their heads just to get to this point in the first place. This is the same team that pissed away the first 3 months of the season.

They are going to come out nervous and flat and Philly will pounce on them.
Miller has two shutouts in the series. While I think Philly will win it would be a nice to see Miller stand on his head and take out Philly which odds are better than 1% to happen.

JD
04-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Two shutouts in Philly and everyone is jumping ship on this team.. shut the **** up already you losers!

JD
04-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Why on earth are people saying "if Philly had even mediocre goaltending this series would be over"? They don't. Just like the Sabres don't even have mediocre forwards, and have had some lousy defense outside of Myers. So why do these hypotheticals apply to Philly, but not Buffalo? Why isn't it "if Buffalo had a forward that could score, this series would be over?" Because it probably would be...one more goal in regulation last night would have won them the series.

Oh, I forgot, the hypotheticals do apply to Buffalo: "if we didn't have Miller, we'd be gone by now." Same thing...we've got Miller who has played quite well in at least two games, so what's the point of saying that, exactly?

The loss made me sick and I can't shake the feeling they're going to lose Game 7, but feeling crappy about the Sabres right now doesn't mean people can make stupid arguments that have no bearing on reality.

Exactly.. what if what if what if!! When it's all said and done, the winner of this series will be in the finals.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Two shutouts in Philly and everyone is jumping ship on this team.. shut the **** up already you losers!

You're calling us losers? If the team wasn't a bunch of losers, this series would be over already. Those two shutouts were before the confidence-crushing that occurred in the last two games and before a slew of injuries.

chernobylwraiths
04-25-2011, 09:17 PM
You're calling us losers? If the team wasn't a bunch of losers, this series would be over already. Those two shutouts were before the confidence-crushing that occurred in the last two games and before a slew of injuries.

A win is a confidence crusher?

Dr. Lecter
04-25-2011, 10:05 PM
What?

chernobylwraiths
04-26-2011, 05:48 AM
What?

Yeah, right?

G Wolly
04-26-2011, 12:28 PM
He's saying if the team wasn't a bunch of losers, we would have beat them already instead of allowing them to come back from down 3 goals twice to blow 2 games.

Or something.