PDA

View Full Version : In January would you have taken this playoff offer??

Ebenezer
04-25-2011, 10:24 AM
If somebody told you on New Years Day that the Sabres would make the playoffs but lose a gut wrenching game 6 at home when they could have closed out the series, would you have signed up for this - even if you were told that they would lose game 7?

Yea or nay?

G Wolly
04-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Signed up for what?

Ebenezer
04-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Signed up for what?

The playoffs :rolleyes:

G Wolly
04-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Well, if I was told we'd make the playoffs anyways and the results, do I really have a choice?

It would happen no matter what.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Yes, but this question is just another way of reducing the standard and accepting mediocrity.

The goal is to win the Stanley Cup, not make the playoffs on the strength of a late season run only to lose in the 1st round courtesy of blowing a 2 goal lead at home in a potential elimination game.

While this outcome is far better than what many of us thought would happen back in January, it's still far short of the goal.

hydro
04-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Yes, but this question is just another way of reducing the standard and accepting mediocrity.

The goal is to win the Stanley Cup, not make the playoffs on the strength of a late season run only to lose in the 1st round courtesy of blowing a 2 goal lead at home in a potential elimination game.

While this outcome is far better than what many of us thought would happen back in January, it's still far short of the goal.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Thank you Captain Obvious.

if it was so obvious, then this thread wouldn't exist.

MikeInRoch
04-25-2011, 11:14 AM

No one is saying that it *is* the goal. I think the difference in viewpoint is this: I (along with many others, I assume) do get more pleasure from my team doing better than if they stink. So based on the results of the season, my view is this:

If the miss the playoffs: This team really sucks.
Out in round 1: Not great, but not as bad as it could be.
Out in round 2: Decent year, gave it a good run.
Out in the ECF: Pretty good year, maybe something to build on.
Out in the Finals: Great year, just missed.
Winning the Cup: WOOOOOOO!

I get the feeling that to you, your view is:

Out in round 1: This team really sucks.
Out in round 2: This team really sucks.
Out in the ECF: This team really sucks.
Out in the Finals: This team really sucks, and they are a bunch of chokers.
Winning the Cup: WOOOOOOO! (but a real team would have won it in 4.)

The King
04-25-2011, 11:18 AM
I think this a big step for the Sabres. Im obviously on the outside looking in... but when a team makes the playoffs as a dark horse it becomes a foundation... only one team can win the cup. You guys have a young team... this is an accomplishment that will help build confidence and expectations for next season.

hydro
04-25-2011, 11:20 AM
I think this a big step for the Sabres. Im obviously on the outside looking in... but when a team makes the playoffs as a dark horse it becomes a foundation... only one team can win the cup. You guys have a young team... this is an accomplishment that will help build confidence and expectations for next season.

You're wrong. Just wait for Opiv to tell you why.

The King
04-25-2011, 11:21 AM
I cant be wrong. Im an outsider telling you what I think about it. He cant speak from my point of view. I win.

And by the way it's not over yet.

I think about the Seahawks last year... laughing stock of the league, the fact that they even got to play in the post season was laughable. Were they going to win a championship, no way! But they knocked off the defending champs... They will take that confidence into next season with them for certain.

chernobylwraiths
04-25-2011, 11:22 AM
If somebody told you on New Years Day that the Sabres would make the playoffs but lose a gut wrenching game 6 at home when they could have closed out the series, would you have signed up for this - even if you were told that they would lose game 7?

Yea or nay?

I would be trying to find that somebody and torture them to give me the lottery numbers.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 11:22 AM

just like when we surprised everyone by making the conf finals in 05-06 only to have a one year run before the team was dismantled?

Last year we won the div then lost in the first round. This year, we snuck into the playoffs and will lose in the first round. How is that a step? It's actually worse than last year.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 11:25 AM
No one is saying that it *is* the goal. I think the difference in viewpoint is this: I (along with many others, I assume) do get more pleasure from my team doing better than if they stink. So based on the results of the season, my view is this:

Out in round 1: Not great, but not as bad as it could be.
Out in round 2: Decent year, gave it a good run.
Out in the ECF: Pretty good year, maybe something to build on.
Out in the Finals: Great year, just missed.
Winning the Cup: WOOOOOOO!

I get the feeling that to you, your view is:

Out in round 1: This team really sucks.
Out in round 2: This team really sucks.
Out in the ECF: This team really sucks.
Out in the Finals: This team really sucks, and they are a bunch of chokers.
Winning the Cup: WOOOOOOO! (but a real team would have won it in 4.)

Not quite that bad, but almost.

Seriously, yesterday was Easter. My family was trying to eat dinner and I was trying to watch the game. They ate during OT. I sat there and watched the end of the game while they were eating. Then they lost, and I sat there and hardly said a word for the rest of the night.

It would have been worth it if they had won, but instead, it just ****ed up Easter so I could be pissed off the rest of the night.

Does anyone actually ENJOY that? If so, you probably need psychiatric help.

chernobylwraiths
04-25-2011, 11:25 AM
just like when we surprised everyone by making the conf finals in 05-06 only to have a one year run before the team was dismantled?

Last year we won the div then lost in the first round. This year, we snuck into the playoffs and will lose in the first round. How is that a step? It's actually worse than last year.

I was going to say this second part. It was actually an incredibly easy point to make.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 11:26 AM
I was going to say this second part. It was actually an incredibly easy point to make.

Most of what I say consists of easy points to make, but people argue it anyway because it's not what they want to hear.

chernobylwraiths
04-25-2011, 11:26 AM

Seriously, yesterday was Easter. My family was trying to eat dinner and I was trying to watch the game. They ate during OT. I sat there and watched the end of the game while they were eating. Then they lost, and I sat there and hardly said a word for the rest of the night.

It would have been worth it if they had won, but instead, it just ****ed up Easter so I could be pissed off the rest of the night.

D V R

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 11:28 AM
D V R

DVR OT in a potential elimination playoff game?

Hand in your man card.

chernobylwraiths
04-25-2011, 11:30 AM
DVR OT in a potential elimination playoff game?

Hand in your man card.

Ignoring your family on a family holiday? Then being a total ass after the game to everyone? Hand in your human card.

The King
04-25-2011, 11:33 AM

Because your team had zero heart/unity earlier this season. (Except against the Bruins).

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Ignoring your family on a family holiday? Then being a total ass after the game to everyone? Hand in your human card.

I'm supposed to be nice to people just because of a day on a calendar?

You might have a point if it was a regular season game, but this was different.

What if the Sabres had won? OT playoff upset win in an elimination game. That's an historic moment that is rare and unpredictable. Easter happens every year. Holidays happen every couple of months. You'd take that away from me because of some day on a calendar for a few extra minutes of "family" time when I had already been with my family all day, and all night the day before because of my dad's birthday? Ridiculous.

The King
04-25-2011, 11:36 AM
You're a mess. I hope for your sake that some day you'll get it.

Paying attention to multi-millionaires who dont even know who you are. And can go on with their day after a loss like its nothing. While ignoring the roomful of people who can actually tollerate you in the real world?

Come on man. I really hope that this is interent persona and not how you actually view things.

MikeInRoch
04-25-2011, 11:38 AM

No one enjoys the team losing. It stings the day (or week, or month) that your team is eliminated. But at some point you evaluate the season that the team had as a whole.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 11:40 AM
You're a mess. I hope for your sake that some day you'll get it.

Paying attention to multi-millionaires who dont even know who you are. And can go on with their day after a loss like its nothing. While ignoring the roomful of people who can actually tollerate you in the real world?

Come on man.

If that's your attitude, then why do you follow sports at all? Completely illogical.

chernobylwraiths
04-25-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm supposed to be nice to people just because of a day on a calendar?

You might have a point if it was a regular season game, but this was different.

What if the Sabres had won? OT playoff upset win in an elimination game. That's an historic moment that is rare and unpredictable. Easter happens every year. Holidays happen every couple of months. You'd take that away from me because of some day on a calendar for a few extra minutes of "family" time when I had already been with my family all day, and all night the day before because of my dad's birthday? Ridiculous.

This isn't even a choice. If the Sabres win, you are happy for 5 minutes before you start ragging on all of their deficiencies and how Washington will probably roll them. You will then go on about how you will have to hear it from all the bandwagon Capitals fans for the next couple weeks and how crappy it will feel to have them rub it in when the Capitals sweep the Sabres.

If the Sabres lose, you are merely a miserable ***** to everyone and ruin everyone's evening.

Or, you could DVR the game and talk to your family and win or lose you know you will rant on here.

The King
04-25-2011, 11:42 AM
If that's your attitude, then why do you follow sports at all? Completely illogical.

I find it to be entertaining. I also find it to be a good bonding experience with my family and friends.

But I would much rather be playing sports than watching them. And I would much rather be spending time with my family. It's great when you can incorporate the two, but if you cant family comes first. 90% of the professional athletes we watch on a regular basis are complete douches, time is much better spent with people who care about you.

The King
04-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Is Eb allowed to re-ban him from this forum? He's gone off the deep end.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 11:57 AM
This isn't even a choice. If the Sabres win, you are happy for 5 minutes before you start ragging on all of their deficiencies and how Washington will probably roll them. You will then go on about how you will have to hear it from all the bandwagon Capitals fans for the next couple weeks and how crappy it will feel to have them rub it in when the Capitals sweep the Sabres.

If the Sabres lose, you are merely a miserable ***** to everyone and ruin everyone's evening.

Or, you could DVR the game and talk to your family and win or lose you know you will rant on here.

Sports are about the moment. DVR the playoff game, the moment is lost. Period.

Oh, and I'm a miserable ***** if I know the game is on and I'm not watching it, so that wouldn't solve that problem at all.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 11:59 AM
I find it to be entertaining. I also find it to be a good bonding experience with my family and friends.

But I would much rather be playing sports than watching them. And I would much rather be spending time with my family. It's great when you can incorporate the two, but if you cant family comes first. 90% of the professional athletes we watch on a regular basis are complete douches, time is much better spent with people who care about you.

except that I can and do spend lots of time with my family, and I can pick and choose those times.

I don't get to choose when the games are on. I don't get to choose when playoff games go into OT. That moment happens, and either you are there for it, or you aren't.

trapezeus
04-25-2011, 12:15 PM
how could anyone accept that deal?

The reason i loved the turnaround is that it was:
1. exciting
2. hopeful that the playoffs could be a lot more.

The deal you proposed suggests a week of extra hockey is worth more than finishing at the bottom and making more substantial changes in the offseason.

Look at what this run did. We held connolly because we thought he'd be helpful for the playoffs. We all knew he would get injured. We could have literally traded him for the worst pick in the 2019 draft. i would have rather done that than keep him and lose in round 1.

I'm aware that one thing we get out of this is that our team of future players have more experience in a hard fought series for next year. But i think the team would have been more honest with its needs at the deadline if they missed the playoffs than only going through one round.

i just dont think the fun of the playoffs is worth it for just one round. one round of playoff hockey hurts.

Ebenezer
04-25-2011, 01:18 PM

You do take sports way too seriously.

Bufftp
04-25-2011, 01:21 PM
I voted no. I expected the sabres to make the playoffs.
Oh btw the sabres haven' t lost the series yet.

EricStratton
04-25-2011, 01:26 PM

Because it's a break from the real world Op, nothing more.

EricStratton
04-25-2011, 01:30 PM
The week after Christmas I drove to and from Buffalo, the Sabres were in 12th place and the Devils were in last.

Starting in Binghamton all the radio talk was about giving up the season, trading the roster and if the new owner would actually buy the team.

Instead of that garbage you got a hell of a second half, a trip to the playoffs against the 2 seed and a game 7.

Not bad if you ask me.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Because it's a break from the real world Op, nothing more.

pretty stupid break, if you ask me. There is no guarantee that sports will be enjoyable. In fact, only one team wins out of 30 or 32 team leagues every year, so most of the time, they are not enjoyable- and that's compounded by Buffalo teams that can never seem to win jack ****.

If you want a break from the real world, I can give you dozens of things that are more likely to provide enjoyment than sports.

hydro
04-25-2011, 01:37 PM
pretty stupid break, if you ask me. There is no guarantee that sports will be enjoyable. In fact, only one team wins out of 30 or 32 team leagues every year, so most of the time, they are not enjoyable- and that's compounded by Buffalo teams that can never seem to win jack ****.

If you want a break from the real world, I can give you dozens of things that are more likely to provide enjoyment than sports.

But see we find enjoyment in things that are apart of sports that go beyond a championship. You might find things that are more enjoyable to you but I doubt you would be able to for me.

EricStratton
04-25-2011, 01:41 PM

Stupid to you because you seem to be win a title or the season is a failure while most well adjusted people aren't like that.

My Devils crapped to bed early and went on a great run to make the season interesting. It's disappointing but not jump off a bridge bad. The Yankees lost to the Rangers last play-off year but it was fun to watch the season play out and the Bills played well enough to give hope.

I have no control over my favorite teams so it's either watch them with all their warts or watch Dancing with the Stars. I choose sports.

The King
04-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Op just out of curiosity did you play sports as a kid?

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 01:43 PM
But see we find enjoyment in things that are apart of sports that go beyond a championship. You might find things that are more enjoyable to you but I doubt you would be able to for me.

How can you enjoy it if you don't reach the goal?

If you enjoy watching movies, you don't turn the movie off and walk away with 20 minutes left. If you enjoy reading books, you don't put the book down with 30 pages left. If you enjoy building models, you don't stop with 10 pieces not attached. If you enjoy playing sports, you don't walk off the court/ice/field with 5 minutes left in the game.

There are brief enjoyable moments over the course of a season even when there is no championship, but in the end, losing is still losing.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Op just out of curiosity did you play sports as a kid?

yes, little league baseball (which I was terrible at), rec soccer and league roller hockey, plus pick up games of football, basketball, roller hockey, lacrosse, etc.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Stupid to you because you seem to be win a title or the season is a failure while most well adjusted people aren't like that.

So, everyone keeps telling me that no one enjoys losing.

But then people post stuff like this that say they still enjoy sports even when their teams lose, as if their sports teams owe them enjoyment even in failure.

And then I'm the one who's accused of not being well-adjusted? Ok....

The King
04-25-2011, 01:49 PM
IMO you have this competitive edge you just need to release.

chernobylwraiths
04-25-2011, 01:51 PM
I like your passion Op, but if it causes ONLY misery, you have to ask yourself is it EVER worth it. I seriously think that you will give yourself health issues.

If it is your coping mechanism, it is weird but fine. I just don't think it is the case because you harp on the issues far too long. If you said the loss made you miserable and unapproachable for the rest of the night, I think it is more than that.

Hey, I'm not perfect. I yell and scream at the TV. I USED to feel like crap for days after a loss by the Bills or series loss by the Sabres, but as I have gotten older, it only lasts minutes to hours now and it is not acute. Maybe because I have become accustomed to it, but also because I have found many things in life that are more important.

EricStratton
04-25-2011, 01:54 PM
No one enjoys losing but it's hardly a life or death situation.

At the end of the day its just a game that we have no control over.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 01:54 PM
IMO you have this competitive edge you just need to release.

yeah it used to be a lot worse than it is now. Hockey was a great outlet.

Usually I have martial arts for that but I tore my bicep and I'm getting surgery on it tomorrow, so I'm laid up for a while.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 02:00 PM
I like your passion Op, but if it causes ONLY misery, you have to ask yourself is it EVER worth it. I seriously think that you will give yourself health issues.

If it is your coping mechanism, it is weird but fine. I just don't think it is the case because you harp on the issues far too long. If you said the loss made you miserable and unapproachable for the rest of the night, I think it is more than that.

Hey, I'm not perfect. I yell and scream at the TV. I USED to feel like crap for days after a loss by the Bills or series loss by the Sabres, but as I have gotten older, it only lasts minutes to hours now and it is not acute. Maybe because I have become accustomed to it, but also because I have found many things in life that are more important.

With the Bills I tend to get over it a lot faster than I used to, mainly because I'm just so used to it, and the team has gotten so bad that one additional loss means very little.

With the Sabres, when they are in an elimination playoff game, it still puts me in a really bad mood and takes a while to get over because it matters.

If the Bills or Sabres ever win the big one, then it will be worth it. Who knows- that payoff may never come. The Bills are 0 for 45 on Super Bowls (although they do have the AFL championships) and the Sabres are 0 for 39 on Stanley Cups (0 for 40 in progress), so if they didn't win for the last 45 years, it's entirely possible that they won't win for the next 45 years. But as a fan, despite what I think will happen, I always hold out hope for that big victory.

trapezeus
04-25-2011, 02:46 PM
bills have become a joke to the die hards. i remember caring so much more. now, it barely matters. i'm addicted and have to watch it, but if something comes up, i can leave mid game. i'm not so into sitting outside for all four quarters to watch a bunch of guys who can't even be bothered to live in the very town that employs them lay up a goose egg.

the sabres are different. every game is essentially winnable. even tomorrow nights affair. they've been jobbed more than they've lost in painful manners.

the goal through the side of the net, the no goal, the defensemen plague of 06....it was just curse like stuff going on. i really think they should win tomorrow, but i'm preparing for a loss so i can just move on easily.

Ebenezer
04-25-2011, 05:47 PM

There is no guarantee that sex will be enjoyable. Has that stopped you from starting and then just going ahead and making sure your partner was pleasured? Have you ever been interrupted by the kids and had to stop just seconds before the finish? Phone or door bell ring and you knew you had to stop because it was company that you were expecting? Or would you complain about not getting to climax in those situations or how mediocre your partner was? If you aren't risque then you better not even start.....and sex is 1000X more important than the Sabres.

Ebenezer
04-25-2011, 05:50 PM
yeah it used to be a lot worse than it is now. Hockey was a great outlet.

Usually I have martial arts for that but I tore my bicep and I'm getting surgery on it tomorrow, so I'm laid up for a while.

Your release is a sport where the idea is to inflict possible permanent damage to your opponent....I think that might be an indicator of a problem right there.

Ebenezer
04-25-2011, 05:51 PM
yes, little league baseball (which I was terrible at), rec soccer and league roller hockey, plus pick up games of football, basketball, roller hockey, lacrosse, etc.
Never admit you sucked at sports...it adds to the appearence that you are living vicariously through your professional sports teams.

JD
04-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Op, please don't watch this game live.. please? I'm very superstitious and the thought of you watching this game flipping out would make me negative watching the game as well.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Never admit you sucked at sports...it adds to the appearence that you are living vicariously through your professional sports teams.
I didn't suck at all sports- just baseball. I wasn't great at basketball or hockey, but I could hold my own. I was always good at D and mediocre on O in both.

OpIv37
04-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Op, please don't watch this game live.. please? I'm very superstitious and the thought of you watching this game flipping out would make me negative watching the game as well.
Why? I only know you from the Internet. Why would you even think about me while watching the game?

YardRat
04-25-2011, 07:21 PM

Yea or nay?

No. If the outcome is already determined (a first round loss), and the chance of winning the Cup is zero, there is no value to participating.

Ebenezer
04-25-2011, 07:23 PM
No. If the outcome is already determined (a first round loss), and the chance of winning the Cup is zero, there is no value to participating.
So you would rather that they have not made the playoffs?

YardRat
04-25-2011, 07:27 PM
So you would rather that they have not made the playoffs?

If the outcome of the series was fixed, as is the initial premise of the thread, yes...I would rather they not make the playoffs.