PDA

View Full Version : Lockout Lifted...No Stay

gggbills
04-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Saw this on NFL Network

NOT THE DUDE...
04-25-2011, 05:03 PM
so does this mean that the 8th circuit will order the season to be played under 2010 rules until a settlement is reached?

gggbills
04-25-2011, 05:06 PM
so does this mean that the 8th circuit will order the season to be played under 2010 rules until a settlement is reached?

I think the owners will file for an appeal and a stay ASAP. In fact I would be surprised if the owners did not have that paperwork done already. They have to get the stay ASAP or I would think that you would be (at least) able to trade players, sign FAs and trade players during the draft. This could get wild if the owners do not get the lockout reinstated in the next 24-48 hours

X-Era
04-25-2011, 05:07 PM
What a mess.

Technically, free agency has begun.

However, I can easily see the NFL talking with the teams and telling them to not make any moves... however, thats a possible anti-trust suit.

I don't think anything will happen as far as transactions now.

better days
04-25-2011, 05:07 PM

Whatever happens, whoever is the loser will appeal the decision, guaranteed.

X-Era
04-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Whatever happens, whoever is the loser will appeal the decision, guaranteed.Yes, But technically, there is no stay, so teams are free to make any transactions they choose.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-25-2011, 05:08 PM
SIGN MARCUS SPEARS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

X-Era
04-25-2011, 05:09 PM
SIGN MARCUS SPEARS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!I just don't think we will see any transactions until the appellate decision on whether to lift the stay or not.

X-Era
04-25-2011, 05:12 PM
From LaCanfora:

"Bottom line now is unless appeals court breaks from Judge Nelson's ruling, the NFL will be open for business once appeal process complete"

http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/62638724793630720

I think that's the most likely situation right now. I don't think any transactions will occur until the appellate court rules on this.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Is the appellate court going to rule very soon? they will probably side with judge susan, correct? in other words the nfl is open for business under 2010 rules until a settlement is reached or the appeals process goes through...

X-Era
04-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Is the appellate court going to rule very soon? they will probably side with judge susan, correct? in other words the nfl is open for business under 2010 rules until a settlement is reached or the appeals process goes through...Let me start by saying I don't know. But, my guess is that the NFL won't impose 2010 rules until they get a decision on the appeal. But, it would seem that technically the NFL is open for business.

ddaryl
04-25-2011, 05:34 PM
There will not be any rules. The 2010 contract is officially null and void... It's a free for all IMO

but I also believe the owners don't want chaos and won't act...

if the appeal courts doesn't over turn, my money is the owners negotiate the best revenue sharing % they can get plus $1 bil off the top and we will have a new CBA.

the owners are looking for any leverage they can get to get that % # down more....

all opinion

Ebenezer
04-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Amazing the timing considering the draft is Thursday...Appeal will be made on Monday...just enough of an open window to allow trades at the draft.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Unfortunately for the NFLPA, the judge ruled on the basis of who would be hurt more. She did not judge on what the laws say on this, or whether a lockout is illegal.

The NFL stands a very good chance of winning this one on appeal.

But... given what I understand... the judge told the league to impose its own rules. So, if they really wanted to, they could just impose everything they want (the rookie pay scale, the 18-game season, etc.). But... that would likely just lead from a lockout to a strike.

Dujek
04-25-2011, 06:39 PM
But if the NFLPA has decertified the players can't vote on strike action, because doing that means the NFLPA is acting as a union, and therefore the owners win.

This ruling could work in the owners favour.

BertSquirtgum
04-25-2011, 06:56 PM
i'm sure the owners have already filed a stay.

psubills62
04-25-2011, 09:17 PM
And at the same time...who exactly qualifies for free agency?

buffalobillsfan95
04-25-2011, 09:21 PM
Could we accept trades for players now?

jmb1099
04-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Whatever happens, whoever is the loser will appeal the decision, guaranteed.
The "loser" is the fan base. Who can we appeal to?

malvado78
04-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Last week I was listening to Jack and Jack on Fox Sports Radio.

I do not remember the guest they had on (sorry) but he was saying that the best case scenario for this owners was exactly what just happened.

For the Judge to rule an end to the lock out BEFORE the draft. The teams would then proceed through the draft WITH trades.

The owners will appeal and the appeals court is more conservative than the judge who initially ruled and would rule in the owners favor.

Thus doing two positive things for the owners/teams:
1. Allowing trades during the draft.
2. Winning in appeals court giving them the best position for a better CBA.

I thought this was very interesting at the time.

Now the first step has started to go as he said and we will see what happens.

Sorry no linky, can't remember the guest name, and going by memory from a week ago (and I have a hard time remembering my 3 kids names at times...). :biggrin:

X-Era
04-26-2011, 06:35 PM
On when we would open the NFL for business if they don't win an appeal:

"We will wait for the judgment from the court, from the judge, and we will comply with that"

To me it's clear that they will open business if the judge does not grant a stay... but absolutely right after an upheld decision on appeal.

X-Era
04-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Also,

"Union Lawyers do not want a draft"

malvado78
04-28-2011, 07:48 AM
Last week I was listening to Jack and Jack on Fox Sports Radio.

I do not remember the guest they had on (sorry) but he was saying that the best case scenario for this owners was exactly what just happened.

For the Judge to rule an end to the lock out BEFORE the draft. The teams would then proceed through the draft WITH trades.

The owners will appeal and the appeals court is more conservative than the judge who initially ruled and would rule in the owners favor.

Thus doing two positive things for the owners/teams:
1. Allowing trades during the draft.
2. Winning in appeals court giving them the best position for a better CBA.

I thought this was very interesting at the time.

Now the first step has started to go as he said and we will see what happens.

Sorry no linky, can't remember the guest name, and going by memory from a week ago (and I have a hard time remembering my 3 kids names at times...). :biggrin:

Step 1: Ruling in favor of Players - *Check*
Step 2: Owners appeal for stay - *Check*
Step 3: Stay is denied - *Check*
Step 4: The draft goes off WITH trades - We will see
Step 5: Owners appeal goes to appellate court and is upheld - We will see