PDA

View Full Version : Getting a sick feeling

Bill Cody
04-26-2011, 01:20 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-silver_rogue_scout_enjoys_label_042511

Everyone on this board needs to read this article. It's one man's opinion but for someone like me that would like the Bills to find a franchise QB this year it was very eye opening. And it has freed me up from being somewhat on the fence about taking a Newton or a Gabbert at 3. I'm no longer on the fence at all. Forget both of them.

I've been intrigued by Jake Locker for some time. I'd love to see the Bills trade down (not up from the 2nd but DOWN) and snag him. Just not sure how far down we can go and get him with the crying need for QB's in the top 12, maybe Washington at 10 or Minnesota at 12 takes him but if not you could probably safely trade down to around 20 and have a great shot of nabbing him. Not saying a trade down is likely (Nix basically said we wouldn't) but I'm sure in favor of it.

trapezeus
04-26-2011, 01:22 PM
in the "anyone but gabbert" thread, this was the article i was refering to. From that guy's take, gabbert is a much more expensive trent edwards.

X-Era
04-26-2011, 01:25 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-silver_rogue_scout_enjoys_label_042511

Everyone on this board needs to read this article. It's one man's opinion but for someone like me that would like the Bills to find a franchise QB this year it was very eye opening. And it has freed me up from being somewhat on the fence about taking a Newton or a Gabbert at 3. I'm no longer on the fence at all. Forget both of them.

I've been intrigued by Jake Locker for some time. I'd love to see the Bills trade down (not up from the 2nd but DOWN) and snag him. Just not sure how far down we can go and get him with the crying need for QB's in the top 12, maybe Washington at 10 or Minnesota at 12 takes him but if not you could probably safely trade down to around 20 and have a great shot of nabbing him. Not saying a trade down is likely (Nix basically said we wouldn't) but I'm sure in favor of it.Again, I feel like we need to realize that getting a sure-fire franchise guy is not possible for us.

It requires the #1 or #2 pick (if there happens to be more than one and there rarely is) in the draft and we won't be picking that high for many more years IMO.

Or, it requires a huge trade up and Nix won't give up enough to do it.

And then were left with the caliber of QB that we are talking about... not perfect, but a very good quality prospect.

And yet you could see 5 or 6 QB's go in round 1 this year and as many as 8 go in the 1st, 3 rounds.

Bill Cody
04-26-2011, 01:26 PM
in the "anyone but gabbert" thread, this was the article i was refering to. From that guy's take, gabbert is a much more expensive trent edwards.

Yeah I had made a similar comparison after I saw the segment with Gruden. He comes across as SOFT.

Bangarang
04-26-2011, 01:28 PM
This guy goes on to say that you have to look at how the player is on the field and you can't use excuses for lack of production. Then he goes on to blame the offensive scheme and support Locker got that contributed to his lack of production.

k-oneputt
04-26-2011, 01:33 PM
So Locker is going in the first rd. again ? Last month he wasn't supposed to sniff the first.

CleveSteve
04-26-2011, 01:34 PM
I watched a few Washington games... while I don't think Locker is a very good QB, his completion percentage is WAAAAAY underinflated by the number of absurd drops his receivers had. It was completely ridiculous. I don't know how he didn't just lose it after a while. I have never seen a major college or an NFL team drop as many passes as the Huskies receivers were dropping this year.

Bill Cody
04-26-2011, 01:35 PM
This guy goes on to say that you have to look at how the player is on the field and you can't use excuses for lack of production. Then he goes on to blame the offensive scheme and support Locker got that contributed to his lack of production.

Well Locker did have one more TD pass than Gabbert last year in 140 fewer attempts. I think this is what he was getting at personally.

k-oneputt
04-26-2011, 01:36 PM
I watched a few Washington games... while I don't think Locker is a very good QB, his completion percentage is WAAAAAY underinflated by the number of absurd drops his receivers had. It was completely ridiculous. I don't know how he didn't just lose it after a while. I have never seen a major college or an NFL team drop as many passes as the Huskies receivers were dropping this year.

That's not even factoring in his crap o-line in front of him.
So, you think that completion percentage would have been better if he was playing for TCU or Nevada last year ??????

Bill Cody
04-26-2011, 01:38 PM
So Locker is going in the first rd. again ? Last month he wasn't supposed to sniff the first.

He didn't have a very good year and was hurt. Before the start of last year mock's had him as the first player taken. And Blaine Gabbert wasn't on anyone's radar as a top 10 pick. <shrug>

Ingtar33
04-26-2011, 01:38 PM
well he's got my opinion about Gabbart and Newton. He also shares it about Kaepernick. I rather dislike Locker, which is where we split. it will be interesting to see how that one goes.

I know for certain if i was to rate the QBs in this draft not a single one of them would have a 1st round grade.

the 2nd round grades would include Mallet, Kaepernick and Gabbart; 3rd round grades would have Newton, Dalton, Ponder and Locker

**I've been calling Gabbart the "rich man's Trent Edwards" for a long time... he's basically the same QB with a bit more toughness.

CleveSteve
04-26-2011, 01:52 PM
That's not even factoring in his crap o-line in front of him.
So, you think that completion percentage would have been better if he was playing for TCU or Nevada last year ??????

At TCU, yes.

At Nevada, I'm not sure, but probably. Nevada did a great job using the pistol playing to Kaepernick's strengths. Both Locker and Kaepernick are fearless, tough and fast runners, but Kaepernick's forte is the long ball when it comes time to throw. Locker's is the rollout. I'm not sure how Locker would translate to Nevada's pistol... that is a lot different than what I saw Locker running in my limited exposure.

BillsFanCupp38
04-26-2011, 03:32 PM
I like Locker the most out of all the QB's. Hes tough, strong arm, leader. Gabbert is a pretty boy that has bust written all over him. He looked scared during his interview with Gruden. Newton is cockey and will fall on his face. Locker is my pick no doubt.

YardRat
04-26-2011, 03:35 PM
I think Locker could go in the top half of the draft if Newton and Gabbert get taken early. If this becomes the year of the QB's dropping (which I also think is a distinct possibility) Jake will probably get bumped into the second round.

mikemac2001
04-26-2011, 03:38 PM
locker came back his SR year giving up probably top 5 pick...

he came back because he wanted to finish what he started with his fellow SR class

he wanted to get his team to a bowl game and he did that.

he didn't have the most talent around him and any game i watched he was running for his life

people complain about his throwing accuracy No QB in the NFL can throw perfect passes every time when they cant even set there feet and thats what i saw with locker.

give him a year to learn the O and put a solid team around him (not a great team) just good D and average protection and i feel he would put up great numbers

idk i watched him and mallet the most and i felt locker got a bad rap.

k-oneputt
04-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Busting on Locker was the "chic" thing to do by the "superscouts". Except now it seems he is moving back up the draftboard. find out Thursday.

X-Era
04-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Busting on Locker was the "chic" thing to do by the "superscouts". Except now it seems he is moving back up the draftboard. find out Thursday.The same thing can be said for pretty much all the QB's. Yet they still will go where they go. If you need one, you're competing with all the other teams that need one as well.

Put it this way, those who think we will be over drafting a QB, will likely make the same argument in any draft unless were picking at 1. And most every draft those same players will likely be over drafted. Kind of just the way it is.