PDA

View Full Version : Something Peculiar

patmoran2006
04-26-2011, 03:25 PM
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
This is going to be hard to explain, but I'll do the best I can.
Writers and/or bloggers have different methods of finding out information. Obviously, there are sources, which some guys have plenty of and others none. Another, assuming you are credentialed by the organization, is being credentialed by the organization and being able to attend pressers for press conferences for Nix, Gailey, etc.
The other is by going through the media relations department for a specific story request or question to have answered. There's Scott Berchtold at the top, Kris Jenkins other him and further on down. Generally, this is used for people that can't get the kind of access they desire, or guys that do but couldn't make a specific event.
Anyway, I'm telling you guys, I have been trying to get comment from the front office for some time about Cameron Jordan , with absolutely no success. I asked a question at a Nix presser early in March that basically went unanswered and repeatedly through media relations. Cameron Jordan talk without a doubt in my mind is being avoided at all costs. If you don't' believe me, find a link post-Senior Bowl where Nix or any Bills scout publicly discusses him.
I have a source, one I consider solid, that has told me since Mid February the Bills are sky high on Jordan. It's almost like they don't want anyone knowing they are interested in him, because nobody will confirm a thing.
I'm not saying Jordan will be the Bills pick, but I'm not betting against it either.. It isn't sexy, but what I hear is the Bills like him as much, and maybe even more than any DL in the draft.. I didn't say most, I said more than ANY of them.
I probably didn't do a great job of explaining the organization's avoidance on him. But the main point is the Buffalo Bills really like him.

YardRat
04-26-2011, 03:32 PM
If the Bills are going to reach at #3, it'll be on Jordan. I'm OK with that, if Dareus is gone in the first two picks. If Marcel is there and they pass him over in favor of Jordan I'll be scratching my head.

psubills62
04-26-2011, 03:35 PM
I agree with Yardie here. I like Jordan, and if Dareus is gone, he's the guy I'd probably be happiest with at #3. But I'd have a very hard time if they passed over Dareus for Jordan.

In my mind, if Dareus is gone at #3, the best situation would be to trade down and take Jordan. I know that trading down is very difficult for top 5 teams, so I'm not expecting anything.

Mr. Miyagi
04-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Jordan at 3 is absolutely ludicrous.

Trade down to 10 and I'm SORT OF not too angry about it.

patmoran2006
04-26-2011, 03:41 PM

Trade down to 10 and I'm SORT OF not too angry about it.

Not fighting with you, asking a question.. Why do you think that's ridiculous?
is it because he's not ranked in the Top 10 of Kiper, Mayock or Mcshay's Big Board?

I researched and looked up seven different mock drafts from last year, including all the listed above. Not one of them that the kid Jacksonville took at 10 last year going in the first round.

The Bills love Cameron Jordan.. Obviously, I'm not in the war room, can't predict with confidence they'll draft him nor do I pretend to know exactly how high he is on their big board. But they do like him a lot.

ddaryl
04-26-2011, 03:42 PM
If they want Jordan they can probably move back a few picks to do so if they have a dance partner...

but then again, maybe other teams have a higher grade on Cameron Jordan that what draft pundits do... Many draftniks base their mocks off other mocks so it will be interesting to see how the draft actually unfolds... This year looks like a year where things might get shaken up a bunch early and cascade on down.

All I know is I like Cam Jordan... He would be a rock solid pickup.

psubills62
04-26-2011, 03:44 PM
I think Cam Jordan is more highly thought of than a lot of people believe. Even if Buffalo doesn't take him, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he goes in the top 10.

patmoran2006
04-26-2011, 03:45 PM
I agree Jordan will go in Top 10, maybe as high as 6.

And regarding a trade down, any team right now would love to move down, nobody wants to move up right now, that's the problem.

ddaryl
04-26-2011, 03:46 PM

And regarding a trade down, any team right now would love to move down, nobody wants to move up right now, that's the problem.

I think the Patriots would love to move up and grab a top WR or even CB. Thye've got picks to burn

YardRat
04-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Okay, I admit it...I'm pat's source.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=202101

Note-Wouldn't be surprised in the least if the team actually passes on Miller here and 'reaches' for Jordan

Not the dumbass source, like Schefter or Graham, mind you....

X-Era
04-26-2011, 03:49 PM

And regarding a trade down, any team right now would love to move down, nobody wants to move up right now, that's the problem.I like Cameron, I really like his ability against both the run and as a pass rusher, but taking him would mean not taking other players that are ranked higher, to me.

I wouldn't be against it; but I'd prefer a trade down if we want him... I think he could still be there as far as Tenn at 8 or Wash at 10.

And I think what makes a move down even more possible is that I can see the Panthers passing up Newton and BOTH Newton and Gabbert are there at 3.

However, I can also see the Bills staying put and taking their top QB at that point when both Miller and Dareus are likely gone.

Philagape
04-26-2011, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't be upset at all. I can understand why they like him so much. He may not have Dareus' upside, but he's just as safe a pick. With the league's worst run D, it's obviously a glaring need. If they take him third, I'll trust that they tried to trade down and couldn't. But like I've said, if the guy you want is there, you take him.

EDS
04-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Jordan seems like a nice player but is he a game changer?

If the Bills front office likes him better than Dareus they should be fired.

X-Era
04-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Jordan seems like a nice player but is he a game changer?

If the Bills front office likes him better than Dareus they should be fired.He doesn't have the ceiling of Dareus IMO. But, he's the type of day one starter at DE that can make you better against the run and may rack up 6 sacks or more in his rookie year. Just my opinion. I could see him being an annual double digit sack guy who is also a stout run defender.

To be honest with you though, I Like Watt's intensity a bit more and I think they are fairly similar actually.

CleveSteve
04-26-2011, 03:56 PM
If I'm the Bills, my board looks like

1) Dareus
Distant 2) Watt
3) Jordan

I understand that some like Jordan better than Watt, but I don't. However, I don't have a huge gap between them like between 1 and 2.

k-oneputt
04-26-2011, 03:58 PM
If Dareus is sitting there at #3 and these morons pass on him for Jordan.

Here comes the "were smarter then you pick". We have seen how those have worked out.

Saratoga Slim
04-26-2011, 04:04 PM

Here comes the "were smarter then you pick". We have seen how those have worked out.

I agree. there might be plenty of scouts that have jordan ranked in the top 10, perhaps in the same range as Bowers and Fairley. But I seriously doubt that many, if any, have him ranked higher than Dareus.

If we take Jordan at 3 with no Dareus available, so be it. It's a need. But if Dareus is available and we don't take him, it's going to be a real head scratcher.

Michael82
04-26-2011, 04:11 PM
I know what you are saying pat and I'm not calling you out, but I'm still trying to figure out why no other sources have leaked out anything on Cam Jordan. Don't forget, last year Nix and Gailey were drooling all over Spiller. It wasn't a shock at all that the Bills took him. And the Bills have done that before with other picks. I can't see Jordan being the guy that they want all along, yet no one else knows anything about it. There's way too many people with inside info that would have said something by now.

mayotm
04-26-2011, 04:14 PM

Trade down to 10 and I'm SORT OF not too angry about it.Ah yes, because it's so easy to trade down.

X-Era
04-26-2011, 04:25 PM

Here comes the "were smarter then you pick". We have seen how those have worked out.Is anyone saying that? I don't think I've seen anyone say that.

I think it's highly unlikely that Dareus is even there at 3.

CleveSteve
04-26-2011, 04:27 PM
It might just be that Dareus is an obvious fit to a need, and that they wouldn't be fooling anyone by saying anything different. They probably also assume he won't be there.

Mr. Miyagi
04-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Not fighting with you, asking a question.. Why do you think that's ridiculous?
is it because he's not ranked in the Top 10 of Kiper, Mayock or Mcshay's Big Board?

I researched and looked up seven different mock drafts from last year, including all the listed above. Not one of them that the kid Jacksonville took at 10 last year going in the first round.

The Bills love Cameron Jordan.. Obviously, I'm not in the war room, can't predict with confidence they'll draft him nor do I pretend to know exactly how high he is on their big board. But they do like him a lot.
It's not how much you like him and whether he's worth a 3. It's what his market value is. The point is to maximize value by taking a guy you like most at the lowest possible pick. If we can trade down 5 spots and still get him and along the way gain another pick, that's what we should be doing.

I'm not disputing how much the Bills like him. I hope that we don't overpay for him.

X-Era
04-26-2011, 04:43 PM
It's not how much you like him and whether he's worth a 3. It's what his market value is. The point is to maximize value by taking a guy you like most at the lowest possible pick. If we can trade down 5 spots and still get him and along the way gain another pick, that's what we should be doing.

I'm not disputing how much the Bills like him. I hope that we don't overpay for him.I like the way you said that. With one stipulation, it seems to not be feasible at QB because of how coveted the position is.

If you are in the market for a QB and don't hold the #1 overall pick, you are potentially stuck over drafting one to get one.

Thurmal
04-26-2011, 06:48 PM
After they took Whitner over Ngata and Maybin over the 17 other defensive first-round players that ended up making the Pro Bowl that year, I wouldn't be shocked at anything.

"With the 3rd pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select...Mark Ingraham, RB from Alabama."

Nix: "This guy gives us a lot of versatility at the RB position; we're thrilled!"

THRILLHO
04-26-2011, 07:11 PM
"With the 3rd pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select...Mark Ingraham, RB from Alabama."

Nix: "This guy gives us a lot of versatility at the RB position; we're thrilled!"

You forgot:

"Should be a real contributer on special teams."

Goobylal
04-26-2011, 09:12 PM

I'm not disputing how much the Bills like him. I hope that we don't overpay for him.
Easier said than done. Say they love Jordan and trade down, expecting him to be there 5 picks later. But boom! A team takes him within the next 4 picks. What then?

ct bills fan
04-26-2011, 09:47 PM
taking a DE with 6 sacks last yr at 3 - doubtful. If you throw enough sh8t at the wall, sometimes it sticks?

mysticsoto
04-26-2011, 10:18 PM
After they took Whitner over Ngata and Maybin over the 17 other defensive first-round players that ended up making the Pro Bowl that year, I wouldn't be shocked at anything.

To be fair, we have a different GM & coach now. But Modrak is still there though...and if we draft another dud...he needs to get fired along with our scouts!!!

ct bills fan
04-26-2011, 10:25 PM
peterson or fairley would be a surprise at 3; jordan would be unfathomable

TigerJ
04-26-2011, 10:31 PM
I totally get it. Sometimes we think that if an organization shows too much interest in a player they're just blowing smoke. You're reasoning just the opposite, where there's no smoke, there must be fire.

bigbub2352
04-26-2011, 10:42 PM
no thank u..i want an impact player..... not a safe scheme fit guy

Extremebillsfan247
04-26-2011, 11:46 PM
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
This is going to be hard to explain, but I'll do the best I can.
Writers and/or bloggers have different methods of finding out information. Obviously, there are sources, which some guys have plenty of and others none. Another, assuming you are credentialed by the organization, is being credentialed by the organization and being able to attend pressers for press conferences for Nix, Gailey, etc.
The other is by going through the media relations department for a specific story request or question to have answered. There's Scott Berchtold at the top, Kris Jenkins other him and further on down. Generally, this is used for people that can't get the kind of access they desire, or guys that do but couldn't make a specific event.
Anyway, I'm telling you guys, I have been trying to get comment from the front office for some time about Cameron Jordan , with absolutely no success. I asked a question at a Nix presser early in March that basically went unanswered and repeatedly through media relations. Cameron Jordan talk without a doubt in my mind is being avoided at all costs. If you don't' believe me, find a link post-Senior Bowl where Nix or any Bills scout publicly discusses him.
I have a source, one I consider solid, that has told me since Mid February the Bills are sky high on Jordan. It's almost like they don't want anyone knowing they are interested in him, because nobody will confirm a thing.
I'm not saying Jordan will be the Bills pick, but I'm not betting against it either.. It isn't sexy, but what I hear is the Bills like him as much, and maybe even more than any DL in the draft.. I didn't say most, I said more than ANY of them.
I probably didn't do a great job of explaining the organization's avoidance on him. But the main point is the Buffalo Bills really like him.

I think your right that the Bills do like him, but I also think they would have no problem with admitting to wanting to take him at 3. No one else would want him bad enough to trade up to numbers 1 or 2 to get him. So I wouldn't see the point of the Bills trying to mask that pick at all with #3 overall. From my point of view, that's just common sense. You don't need sources to figure that out. They have to look at everyone remember, from 3 to 10 in case a call comes up Thursday from a team wanting to trade up. The Bills will need a backup plan on who to draft and it's no secret by now that Cameron Jordan is one of the likely targets should the Bills trade out of 3. The other targets would be Robert Quinn, and JJ Watt. But if they stay put, I find it very hard to believe they would take him there.

Saratoga Slim
04-27-2011, 09:27 AM
For what it's worth, yesterday Todd McShay tweeted a list of players that he thinks will be coming off the board higher than expected: Cameron Jordan was the first one he mentioned.

http://twitter.com/#!/McShay13

psubills62
04-27-2011, 10:20 AM
For what it's worth, yesterday Todd McShay tweeted a list of players that he thinks will be coming off the board higher than expected: Cameron Jordan was the first one he mentioned.

http://twitter.com/#!/McShay13 (http://twitter.com/#%21/McShay13)
I'm not a fan of McShay, but he does get some things right every now and then.

k-oneputt
04-27-2011, 10:35 AM

So whats that prove ? You get some things right every now and then.

CleveSteve
04-27-2011, 11:03 AM

Well, yeah. He reads a bunch of stuff on the internet then repeats it on ESPN.

Turd "RSS Feed" McShay.

Coach Sal
04-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Video up today: Bills scouts on Quinn and Jordan:
http://bit.ly/mDze7V

Talk of Jordan begins at 1:20