PDA

View Full Version : Does Ruff Stay?

Historian
04-27-2011, 04:22 AM
Discuss.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-27-2011, 04:40 AM
What is there to discuss, the new owner pretty much gave you the answer.

YardRat
04-27-2011, 05:33 AM
Yes.

Jan Reimers
04-27-2011, 05:36 AM
Ruff stays, several players go.

chernobylwraiths
04-27-2011, 05:43 AM
With good players, Ruff has gotten his team to the playoffs. With very good players, Ruff has gotten his teams deep into the playoffs. When we lost very good players (Hasek, Briere, Drury, etc) Ruff has missed the playoffs. There seems to be a pattern. I wonder what Ruff could do with a team that had more very good players.

don137
04-27-2011, 06:35 AM
Ruff is a very good coach and will stay. I do blame the poor effort in game 7 partly on him. Not sure if he said or did anything leading up to the game but that team was not ready to play last night.

SabreEleven
04-27-2011, 06:48 AM
Was this thread started by LW?

chernobylwraiths
04-27-2011, 06:48 AM
Ruff is a very good coach and will stay. I do blame the poor effort in game 7 partly on him. Not sure if he said or did anything leading up to the game but that team was not ready to play last night.

If you can't get up yourself for a game 7, you have no business being in the NHL.

Cleve
04-27-2011, 06:54 AM
I hope he stays, actually. He's done a good job with this team given the talent level and what he has to work with, I think.

Let me put it this way - given the choice between watching a typical Sabres game and a typical Buffalo Bills game over the last few years or so, I'd watch the Sabres every time.

trapezeus
04-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Ruff looked defeated on the bench. that interview he gave panger was painful.

But i don't know how you coach the defeatism our team seemed to have. all the post games everyone said, "we let them off in game 6." and that seemed to be all they thought about in game 7.

PTI
04-27-2011, 09:13 AM
I sure hope not, he constantly disappoints as a coach. Even 5-2 wins are a result of 2 good periods and 1 awful period of play, he never has this team or any team he has coached prepared to play a whole game.

G Wolly
04-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Ruff stays.

Pegula gives him better players to coach.

????

Profit.

Ebenezer
04-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Ask the question this way:

How long would a coach, GM, Director of Hockey Operations, VP, etc. be out of work and not offered a job if they were fired? If the answer is "less than a week" then why get rid of them?

tampabay25690
04-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Discuss.

No reason to discuss.
Absolutely he stays..........

PTI
04-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Ask the question this way:

How long would a coach, GM, Director of Hockey Operations, VP, etc. be out of work and not offered a job if they were fired? If the answer is "less than a week" then why get rid of them?

That logic makes no sense and I always get sick a little when I hear it. it is time a change. The same logic applies to just about any player you want to get rid of too. To all the Connolly haters, the Penguins will sign him in the first week. Heck, it applies to a McDonalds worker that gets fired, he can have a job at Burger King or Wendy's within a week.

Lone Stranger
04-27-2011, 11:22 AM
This team does not have an abundance of talent; Ruff has done a very commendable job and deserves to stay.

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Ruff stays without question.

Yasgur's Farm
04-27-2011, 12:05 PM
No question, Ruff stays put... He one of the best and continues to prove it.

Ebenezer
04-27-2011, 12:13 PM
That logic makes no sense and I always get sick a little when I hear it. it is time a change. The same logic applies to just about any player you want to get rid of too. To all the Connolly haters, the Penguins will sign him in the first week. Heck, it applies to a McDonalds worker that gets fired, he can have a job at Burger King or Wendy's within a week.

you might not like the logic...but comparing fast food workers to NHL coaches is a super stretch.

PTI
04-27-2011, 12:15 PM
you might not like the logic...but comparing fast food workers to NHL coaches is a super stretch.

Just because someone can find a new job easily is not a valid enough to reason to keep them and saying that is like saying a you got good value in the 3rd round with your draft pick, it is cliche.

Ebenezer
04-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Just because someone can find a new job easily is not a valid enough to reason to keep them and saying that is like saying a you got good value in the 3rd round with your draft pick, it is cliche.

It's not cliche. there are only 30 NHL jobs...they don't all turn over every year...they are the tops of the tops. If Ruff couldn't do the job with the limited talent he has had he would have been gone a long time ago. the problem with this team for that past 15 years has not been coaching.

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2011, 12:41 PM
The point is Lindy will stay because he is a good coach! No other reason needed.

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2011, 12:41 PM
To the people that want Ruff fired.

Name me some available coaches and why you feel they would be better than Ruff.

chernobylwraiths
04-27-2011, 12:44 PM
What is there to discuss, the new owner pretty much gave you the answer.

This is the only answer. Pegula said "Ruff ain't going anywhere." Short of Ruff not wanting to stay, he stays.

G Wolly
04-27-2011, 12:55 PM
To the people that want Ruff fired.

Name me some available coaches and why you feel they would be better than Ruff.

Me, and because I watch every game ever and know the game better than the professionals.

PTI
04-27-2011, 01:00 PM
The point is Lindy will stay because he is a good coach! No other reason needed.
Brian McCutcheon or James Patrick are ready, come on now. Dude in Portland, Kevin Dineen is an option too. I know Ruff is staying.

Ebenezer
04-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Brian McCutcheon or James Patrick are ready, come on now. Dude in Portland, Kevin Dineen is an option too. I know Ruff is staying.

Do you have proof that any of those three are ready? How many NHL GMs have called the Sabres to interview them?

PTI
04-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Do you have proof that any of those three are ready? How many NHL GMs have called the Sabres to interview them?

Wow, what kind of a question is that, how do I know they are ready? OK, I will play along......how do you know they are not ready? Patrick was a Sabres captain who played defense, sounds somewhat familiar.

Dineen has been interviewed by Columbus.

http://www.pressherald.com/sports/dineen-gets-nhl-interview_2010-04-30.html

Brian McCutcheon was coach of Rochester and promoted to the Sabres.

Just saying. Also, I know RUFF IS GOING NO WHERE.

Historian
04-27-2011, 04:02 PM
The only reason I asked, is because Ruff himself indicated that he may not be back, around the time Mr Pegula bought the team.

Two things irritate me about the Sabres:

1. Their Power play stinks. Better players could make that go.

2. The pass-happy crap in the attacking zone.

Notice what happened in our three wins? Shots were taken. No dicking around with the puck.

In our four losses, (as well as most of the season) pass-pass-pas-pass-pass-lose the puck. Pass-pass-pass-pass-accidentally let the puck back over the blue line.

The 5 on 3's we blew this year screwing around, OMFG!

It's maddening.

Take your shot....go to the net....set up a screen...SHOOT!

That, IMO, is Ruff, and it has to change for this team to be successful.

chernobylwraiths
04-27-2011, 04:12 PM
The only reason I asked, is because Ruff himself indicated that he may not be back, around the time Mr Pegula bought the team.

Two things irritate me about the Sabres:

1. Their Power play stinks. Better players could make that go.

2. The pass-happy crap in the attacking zone.

Notice what happened in our three wins? Shots were taken. No dicking around with the puck.

In our four losses, (as well as most of the season) pass-pass-pas-pass-pass-lose the puck. Pass-pass-pass-pass-accidentally let the puck back over the blue line.

The 5 on 3's we blew this year screwing around, OMFG!

It's maddening.

Take your shot....go to the net....set up a screen...SHOOT!

That, IMO, is Ruff, and it has to change for this team to be successful.

I thought McCutcheon was the coach of the specialty teams.

jamze132
04-28-2011, 06:27 AM
It's Ruff's job if he wants it with Pagula on board. I doubt Ruff would have stayed with the previous owner again.

THATHURMANATOR
04-28-2011, 08:04 AM
And what have they done as head coaches in the NHL??

They are Ruff Proteges for christ sake. I figured someone would come up with at least a guy with past NHL coaching experience.

PTI
04-28-2011, 09:38 AM
And what have they done as head coaches in the NHL??

They are Ruff Proteges for christ sake. I figured someone would come up with at least a guy with past NHL coaching experience.

You mean like Ruff had before he started?

THATHURMANATOR
04-28-2011, 10:12 AM
You mean like Ruff had before he started?
What does that have to do with anything? We aren't talking about 12 years ago.

I just find it funny that you are all about getting rid of Lindy and the only alternatives you come up with are people that have learned directly under Lindy or through the sabres organizational system. Why would you expect Patrick for example would coach much differently than Lindy? I actually do think he would make a good coach but I don't however think he would be any better than Lindy so why bother?

Ebenezer
04-28-2011, 10:22 AM
What does that have to do with anything? We aren't talking about 12 years ago.

I just find it funny that you are all about getting rid of Lindy and the only alternatives you come up with are people that have learned directly under Lindy or through the sabres organizational system. Why would you expect Patrick for example would coach much differently than Lindy? I actually do think he would make a good coach but I don't however think he would be any better than Lindy so why bother?
Everybody wanted Donahoe gone...some of us warned them that all that would happen is Modrak would get promoted and it would be more of the same...deja vu all over again.

Beebe's Kid
04-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Looks like Ruff's extension will get announced today.

SkateZilla
04-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Ruff's Extension will be announced at the 11AM Press Conference.

Michael82
04-29-2011, 01:07 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article407335.ece