PDA

View Full Version : So who should we keep for the 2011-12 Sabres roster?

Cleve
04-27-2011, 06:50 AM
Here's a quick list of players I'd try to keep for 2011-12

Vanek

Ennis

Pominville

Enroth

Stafford

Boyes

Gerbe

Gaustad

Kaleta

Gragnani

Weber

Sekera

Should anyone else be on the "Must Have" list? Or should any above get cut?

Dr. Lecter
04-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Any list that does not have Myers or Miller on it is worthless.

SabreEleven
04-27-2011, 07:19 AM
So Miller is cut?

Dr. Lecter
04-27-2011, 07:21 AM
So Miller is cut?
So is Myers.

We are both losing our favorite player.

don137
04-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Not sure if Goose is a must have player. His face-offs are great but he was a huge liability with his play in the playoffs.

SabreEleven
04-27-2011, 07:25 AM
I'm excited about this off season. It's the first one I can remember ever looking forward too. Team Pegula is going to do some great things for this organization. As bad as the offseason 2007 was, this is going to be great and get this team deeper into the playoffs.

Cleve
04-27-2011, 07:30 AM
Not sure if Goose is a must have player. His face-offs are great but he was a huge liability with his play in the playoffs.

Yeah, he was probably my most questionable choice. In fact, him losing that faceoff last night to Briere with 22 seconds left in the 1st was very costly, as it resulted in that goal at the end of the 1st period. Seemed like that was kind of a backbreaker.

rbochan
04-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Why would Boyes be on anyone's 'must have' list?

Dr. Lecter
04-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Yeah, he was probably my most questionable choice. In fact, him losing that faceoff last night to Briere with 22 seconds left in the 1st was very costly, as it resulted in that goal at the end of the 1st period. Seemed like that was kind of a backbreaker.
How do you not have Myers on your list?

Jan Reimers
04-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Here's a quick list of players I'd try to keep for 2011-12

Vanek

Ennis

Pominville

Enroth

Stafford

Boyes

Gerbe

Gaustad

Kaleta

Gragnani

Weber

Sekera

Should anyone else be on the "Must Have" list? Or should any above get cut?
Add: Miller, Myers and Roy.

Subtract: Kaleta and Enroth.

Dr. Lecter
04-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Add: Miller, Myers and Roy.

Subtract: Kaleta and Enroth.

I disagree on Enroth. They need a back-up. Maybe Miller can be better if he can take off 15-20 games.

Kaleta has one year left on his deal and is a cheap depth player. Keep him around for the last year of his deal.

Roy I generally agree with, except if the right deal comes along move him. But if he is going to be a point a game player then he is a good deal at 4 million per.

Jan Reimers
04-27-2011, 09:02 AM
I'd like to see us get a good, veteran backup goalie in Free Agency and give Enroth another full year in Portland.

I'm not a big Kaleta fan, but he's OK as a 4th line winger. Not sure he's a "Must Have," however. I think Mancari's a better hockey player.

I'd keep Roy as a very good second line center, and try to get true first line center.
Plus a couple of good defensive defensemen (in the Lydman/Talinder mold).

trapezeus
04-27-2011, 09:10 AM
i think enroth has gotten all he needs out of portland. the guy there now is tearing it up too. so goalie seems to be fine as long as we ditch lalime!

kaleta is too injury prone and unreliable. i like his game, but his body seems to hate it. i wouldnt have him on the untouchable list, but that doesn't mean i'd cut him.

pominville still needs to go. buy him out. He's decent, but he's expensive. he's also got a serious 4-6 month injury. So no one is taking him off our hands, and he's not a lock to go at the start of the season anyways.

Stafford i'm torn on. i hate him and love him. i have no idea what his position with the team should be.

Dr. Lecter
04-27-2011, 09:14 AM
I'd like to see us get a good, veteran backup goalie in Free Agency and give Enroth another full year in Portland.

I'm not a big Kaleta fan, but he's OK as a 4th line winger. Not sure he's a "Must Have," however. I think Mancari's a better hockey player.

I'd keep Roy as a very good second line center, and try to get true first line center.

Enroth can't go to Portland next year w/o clearing waivers.

Dr. Lecter
04-27-2011, 09:15 AM
i think enroth has gotten all he needs out of portland. the guy there now is tearing it up too. so goalie seems to be fine as long as we ditch lalime!

kaleta is too injury prone and unreliable. i like his game, but his body seems to hate it. i wouldnt have him on the untouchable list, but that doesn't mean i'd cut him.

pominville still needs to go. buy him out. He's decent, but he's expensive. he's also got a serious 4-6 month injury. So no one is taking him off our hands, and he's not a lock to go at the start of the season anyways.

Stafford i'm torn on. i hate him and love him. i have no idea what his position with the team should be.

Buying him out would be a huge cap hit. Probably around 7 million or so. That is a horrible idea. Just terrible.

He is also the team's best all around forward and is key on the PK and PP.

Is he overpaid somewhat? Probably. But not by as much as people think.

PTI
04-27-2011, 09:16 AM
In an open draft of Sabres players I think Myers would get taken over Miller.

Jan Reimers
04-27-2011, 09:22 AM
I think Pominville is our best all-around forward. He's a reliable 20+ goal scorer and very good on special teams. I think his injury was a major blow to our fortunes against the Flyers.

Stafford is only 25 and has developed into a good power forward, capable of 30+ goals a season.

I think we keep both. We can certainly clear some cap space by getting rid of Connolly, Niedermayer, Grier, Hecht, Lalime and a couple of defensemen (Morrisohn, Montador and/or Leopold).

PTI
04-27-2011, 09:24 AM

Enroth needs to play 25-30 games next year.

Jan Reimers
04-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks, Doc. Then he replaces Lalime.

Cleve
04-27-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm thinking Enroth as a backup/second goalie, BTW. Not starter, not yet.

Cleve
04-27-2011, 09:37 AM
I think Pominville is our best all-around forward. He's a reliable 20+ goal scorer and very good on special teams. I think his injury was a major blow to our fortunes against the Flyers.

Yeah, it definitely seemed like the team suffered a huge loss with Pominville's injury. I'd like to see the video of it again to see if it looked intentional or not.

trapezeus
04-27-2011, 10:02 AM
pominville is exactly what is wrong with this team. stat wise he's fine. but when you need him the most, he's no where to be found. you can cite his game 4 goal. but that is very rare.

the fact of the matter is that the quinn/golisano team is terrible. that core that they tried to sell us on that we all kicked and screamed about is terrible.

The new guard of gerbe, ennis, grags has something. vanek is a good PP goal scorer and isn't a natural leader. he needs a stud with him. Pominville and connolly are fillers. good on the third line. overpaid for that. we have the talent in portland to fill in those gaps. We need legit 1st and 2nd liners.

Dr. Lecter
04-27-2011, 10:11 AM
pominville is exactly what is wrong with this team. stat wise he's fine. but when you need him the most, he's no where to be found. you can cite his game 4 goal. but that is very rare.

the fact of the matter is that the quinn/golisano team is terrible. that core that they tried to sell us on that we all kicked and screamed about is terrible.

The new guard of gerbe, ennis, grags has something. vanek is a good PP goal scorer and isn't a natural leader. he needs a stud with him. Pominville and connolly are fillers. good on the third line. overpaid for that. we have the talent in portland to fill in those gaps. We need legit 1st and 2nd liners.

The game 4 goal was rare? What about his series ending goal against Ottawa. Or his 4 points in 5 games this series. He has a history of doing well in the playoffs.

Pominville is more than a 3rd line guy.

There is nobody in Portland who can replace Pominville. To say otherwise is laughable.

Who down there will play on the PP, the PK and even strength, while shipping in 20-25 goals and 60+ points every year?

G Wolly
04-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Gaustad. Vanek. Stafford. Enroth. Miller. Myers. McCormick. Ennis. Gerbe. Pominville.

I didn't mention Gragnani, or Adam or any other Pirates since they're there when needed.

Everyone else is expendable.

PTI
04-27-2011, 10:24 AM
The game 4 goal was rare? What about his series ending goal against Ottawa. Or his 4 points in 5 games this series. He has a history of doing well in the playoffs.

Pominville is more than a 3rd line guy.

There is nobody in Portland who can replace Pominville. To say otherwise is laughable.

Who down there will play on the PP, the PK and even strength, while shipping in 20-25 goals and 60+ points every year?

Pommer is 2nd line or better on just about every NHL team, and has top 5 in goals and points of all RWs in the NHL over the last 4 seasons. He is good, consistent, and he actually is a locker room leader. He wears an 'A', he stands up to the media and says how it is. I like Pommer.

Ebenezer
04-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Like it or not, Pominville is one of the better PK on the team.

That being said...I don't cut ANYBODY. I bring back everybody who wants to come back. They may have to take a lower salary (i.e., Connolly) but I bring them all back. Then I go out and I identify a group of six to eight other players I think can help the team immediately. I use whatever players I have in Portland, juniors and draft choices (with the exception of a few) and get as many of those six to eight as I can through trades or free agency. I bring them all to camp and work their assess off to see who really wants to be on the team. Bring the best 22 to the starting lineup, assign those who can be to Portland and trade the others for picks. If Connolly ends up making $1.5mil to be my 4th center and kill penalties then so be it. This team is on the upswing. You don't get rid of players because they were overpaid or the fans don't like them.

chernobylwraiths
04-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Definitely keep:

Miller - an elite goaltender that keeps the Sabres in games when they don't feel like playing.

Vanek - brought his game up this year. Helped more defensively, worked harder, and took his nightly beating in front of the net

Myers - you keep future Norris trophy winners

Ennis - developing nicely, could become the next Briere if he can learn to take some liberties with opponents

Gerbe - hard work pays off, even if you are a lillipution

Gragnani - need to see what he can do with a full season

Weber - only real hard nosed stay at home defenseman we have

Probably should keep:

Pomminville - best two way player we have, wish he wasn't paid so much

Sekera - most dynamic offensive defenseman we have, needs to work on his actual defensive defense

Gaustad - size, works hard, teams need guys like him, wish his contract wasn't so high

Enroth - finally a dependable backup that can give Miller a rest more often

Stafford - goal scorers are hard to find, hopefully he can continue to improve and learn to score in the postseason.

PTI
04-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Roy was top 10 in NHL in scoring before he went out. He is a keeper without a doubt.

Jan Reimers
04-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Roy was top 10 in NHL in scoring before he went out. He is a keeper without a doubt.
I totally agree. I'm really surprised that he is left off so many posters' lists.

He may not be a first line center, but he is a helluva second line guy.

trapezeus
04-27-2011, 01:14 PM
pominville was a stat monkey. he looks good on paper. He routinely plays too soft in the majority of his playoff appearances. At his price, he's not worth it.

you can't cite 2 games where he had big games and then use random assists and discount his style of play is emblematic of the problems this team has as a playoff team. SOFT.

Pominville is a great 3rd line guy. he's a complimentary 2nd line player. He isn't irreplacable. I think you can groom a good PK guy out of portland who plays the third line. the team needs size and the ability to deal with a sustained forecheck. that was the problem in the years we missed hte playoffs and its the problem the last two years in the playoffs. He can't log a lot of icetime when the going gets tough at the half boards.

Ebenezer
04-27-2011, 01:15 PM
pominville was a stat monkey. he looks good on paper. He routinely plays too soft in the majority of his playoff appearances. At his price, he's not worth it.

you can't cite 2 games where he had big games and then use random assists and discount his style of play is emblematic of the problems this team has as a playoff team. SOFT.

Pominville is a great 3rd line guy. he's a complimentary 2nd line player. He isn't irreplacable. I think you can groom a good PK guy out of portland who plays the third line. the team needs size and the ability to deal with a sustained forecheck. that was the problem in the years we missed hte playoffs and its the problem the last two years in the playoffs. He can't log a lot of icetime when the going gets tough at the half boards.

It was noted by several national commentators and Paul Hamilton locally, this team's overall performance dropped significantly from the minute Pominville got hurt.

trapezeus
04-27-2011, 01:18 PM
those things aren't correlated. The team does not revolve around pominville's play. I realize we won't come to agreement on this, but it really makes no sense. He isn't that physical and he singlehandedly can't stop a meltdown like game 6 and the same **** happened in game 5. I won't buy that for a second.

Ebenezer
04-27-2011, 01:19 PM
those things aren't correlated. The team does not revolve around pominville's play. I realize we won't come to agreement on this, but it really makes no sense. He isn't that physical and he singlehandedly can't stop a meltdown like game 6 and the same **** happened in game 5. I won't buy that for a second.

the only reason people complain is because of his salary - which is not his fault. Give him a real #2 center and many of his liabilities are instantly fixed.

trapezeus
04-27-2011, 01:54 PM
i don't think so. his inability to play in the corners is my complaint with him. salary just makes it worse.

i guess we won't see eye to eye on this, but i htink we are saying something that is similar. Our line 1 is terrible. it isn't up to snuff what a real #1 line should look like. Vanek is not a play making wing. He has some sweet looking goals, but he can't change a game by himself all the time (or ever in the playoffs). You bring in a center for ennis and vanek and you might really keep teams on their toes, then the second line is roy, boyes and stafford. pominville can slide down to 2b with gaustad, gerbe. That leaves us a lot of fourth liners who have played at 3. Mancari, kaleta, ellis, mccormick.

All of a sudden we have some depth.

but i think our defense is still not good enough. Lindy had the wingers pretty low to help clear bodies. that also made breaking out difficult.

PTI
04-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Vanek had 5 goals but really was a little disappointing to me, he was -7, not good at all, Goose was -6, Sabres were not good 5 on 5 at all.

trapezeus
04-27-2011, 02:56 PM
i hear you PTI on Vanek. he scored all of them or most of them on the PP. We need a guy to score at even strength in the playoffs. we know whistles disappear in the playoffs.

SabreEleven
04-27-2011, 04:47 PM
here is the list of Free Agents this season

http://wgr550.com/pages/9715929.php

Ebenezer
04-27-2011, 04:50 PM
i hear you PTI on Vanek. he scored all of them or most of them on the PP. We need a guy to score at even strength in the playoffs. we know whistles disappear in the playoffs.
Vanek needs a center to make plays. What would Mike Bossy have been without Bryan Trottier?

psubills62
04-27-2011, 07:33 PM
The correlation was pretty obvious. But, as with all correlations, the leap of logic to cause and effect is not guaranteed. You can give all the reasons it shouldn't have happened you want...but the fact is pretty glaring that Buffalo's play dropped off severely when he got injured. You're not arguing the correlation...you're arguing the cause and effect.

YardRat
04-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Stafford can go...Guys like him are a dime a dozen, and we've had more than two dozen just like him over the past few years.

BertSquirtgum
04-27-2011, 11:09 PM
So Miller is cut?

traded hopefully. overrated bum.

mightysimi
04-27-2011, 11:57 PM
looking at the free agents, the only real true #1 centre is Richards. However, you will have to overpay to get him. Buffalo is better off developing it's talent than overpaying for one guy.

Crisis
04-28-2011, 02:06 AM
looking at the free agents, the only real true #1 centre is Richards. However, you will have to overpay to get him. Buffalo is better off developing it's talent than overpaying for one guy.

buffalo has nobody in their farm system who is a top line center, it's not as easy as saying develop the talent themselves... we have no one at center. literally no one.

chernobylwraiths
04-28-2011, 05:50 AM
Buffalo needs to trade some of its young talent that they don't believe will become a superstar for a top line center that knows how to play in the playoffs.

I agree that Richards might be a little too expensive considering Myers and possibly Stafford will eat up a bunch of cap space (Myers 2012 cap)

SabreEleven
04-28-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm actually can't wait to hear the final press conference of the year from Black, Regier and Ruff...I hope Pegula is there also. They should get us excited about next year.

trapezeus
04-28-2011, 09:41 AM
The correlation was pretty obvious. But, as with all correlations, the leap of logic to cause and effect is not guaranteed. You can give all the reasons it shouldn't have happened you want...but the fact is pretty glaring that Buffalo's play dropped off severely when he got injured. You're not arguing the correlation...you're arguing the cause and effect.

you are getting me on a technicality.

I am arguing cause and effect. regardless, i don't think that pominville's presence changes much of game 7's team effort. the team was outclassed and pominville is not such a difference maker that the team would have played a closer game.

PTI
04-28-2011, 09:46 AM
buffalo has nobody in their farm system who is a top line center, it's not as easy as saying develop the talent themselves... we have no one at center. literally no one.

You didn't notice Luke Adam, 29 goals and 33 assists from 62 points in 58 games, has great size. He is 6'2" and 215. He did not look completely out of place when he played 19 games this season with the big club and had 3 goals. He has plenty of room for growth but he looks like he can be a good NHL player to me and was AHL Rookie of the year this year. So, how can you can you cay we have no one? Paul Byron looked decent when he played here too. He may never be anything more than 3rd or 4th line but showed a little. Adam looks like he will e at least top 2 Center.

http://www.portlandpirates.com/teamstats.asp

Ebenezer
04-28-2011, 09:54 AM
You didn't notice Luke Adam, 29 goals and 33 assists from 62 points in 58 games, has great size. He is 6'2" and 215. He did not look completely out of place when he played 19 games this season with the big club and had 3 goals. He has plenty of room for growth but he looks like he can be a good NHL player to me and was AHL Rookie of the year this year. So, how can you can you cay we have no one? Paul Byron looked decent when he played here too. He may never be anything more than 3rd or 4th line but showed a little. Adam looks like he will e at least top 2 Center.

Adam was a -6 here. The odds are that neither will be a top 10 center in the conference...and even if Adam pans out he's three years away. This team needs at least one top 10 center going into the 2011-12 season or they are right in the same boat.

PTI
04-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Adam was a -6 here. The odds are that neither will be a top 10 center in the conference...and even if Adam pans out he's three years away. This team needs at least one top 10 center going into the 2011-12 season or they are right in the same boat.

Man, you are so negative, if it didn't happen it never will. How do I know any of the coaches would be a good NHL coach, of course I don't, but neither do you. How can possibly say he won't pan out and odds are against it? I mean the last 2 AHL Rookie of the year players did pretty well for us this year, with Ennis as last season's ROY and he was great this year for Buffalo and there were young players contributing all over the NHL this year and the past several.

Ebenezer
04-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Man, you are so negative, if it didn't happen it never will. How do I know any of the coaches would be a good NHL coach, of course I don't, but neither do you. How can possibly say he won't pan out and odds are against it? I mean the last 2 AHL Rookie of the year players did pretty well for us this year, with Ennis as last season's ROY and he was great this year for Buffalo and there were young players contributing all over the NHL this year and the past several.
Not negative. I want a premiere center on this team NOW, TODAY, this minute. Pointing out the those in the minors will not be a premiere center is not negative. I don't want five more years of spinning wheels. This team took a huge jump in the early 90s when they got Hawerchuck and LaFontaine. They took a huge jump in the early 00s when they got Briere and Drury. All I want is a repeat history for a third time. How is that negative?

PTI
04-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Not negative. I want a premiere center on this team NOW, TODAY, this minute. Pointing out the those in the minors will not be a premiere center is not negative. I don't want five more years of spinning wheels. This team took a huge jump in the early 90s when they got Hawerchuck and LaFontaine. They took a huge jump in the early 00s when they got Briere and Drury. All I want is a repeat history for a third time. How is that negative?

I get it, but how many are there out there, and who will come here and play?

SkateZilla
04-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Keep:
Vanek, Stafford, Ennis, Gerbe, Miller, Enroth, Myers, Roy
with: Gragnani, Weber in the mix.

Trade/Cut/Fire:
Connolly, Grier, Butler, Pominville, Hecht, Lalime
The Special Teams Coach (specifically PowerPlay)
With the defensive coach in the mix (please, someone should tell the players to quit floating in the defensive zone like we are on a PK)

Ebenezer
04-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Now who is being negative?

PTI
04-28-2011, 10:22 AM
I would actually keep Niedermeyer based on his play in the last month. All 5 of his goals in his last 18 games and was one of the better forwards in the Flyers series and one of 3 that were Plus players in plus/minus. If he does a 1 year deal again for 1 million he is the veteran guy we can afford to keep.

SabreEleven
04-28-2011, 12:14 PM

That is where Pegula Ownership comes into play. People should want to come to Buffalo to play now that we got someone who cares.

OpIv37
04-28-2011, 01:45 PM
definitely keep: Miller, Myers, Roy, Ennis, Gerbe, McCormick and Enroth.

definitely dump: Neidermayer, Connolly, Grier, Connolly, Lalime and Connolly,

Everyone else: no urgency to move them, but definitely not untouchable if the right offer/replacement comes along.

Beebe's Kid
04-28-2011, 02:01 PM
definitely keep: Miller, Myers, Roy, Ennis, Gerbe, McCormick and Enroth.

definitely dump: Neidermayer, Connolly, Grier, Connolly, Lalime and Connolly,

Everyone else: no urgency to move them, but definitely not untouchable if the right offer/replacement comes along.

Montador is a FA, and I think I might let him walk. He didn't have a bad year, but as you like to point out, ol'sport, don't fall in love with mediocrity.

The only other player I'd bring up is that I would probably let Connolly walk.

Michael82
04-28-2011, 03:22 PM

If only our management didn't toss both of those guys aside like garbage. :sigh:

chernobylwraiths
04-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Lydman in the playoffs 0 goals 0 assists -2

chernobylwraiths
04-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Tallinder was a minus 6 on the year, though he was one of only two players on the team to play every game.

Crisis
04-28-2011, 03:37 PM

i doubt luke adam stays at center in the NHL. he's not a very good skater. he's good at getting to the front of net....but even now he projects as a role-player, not a difference maker like richards.

he's a nice prospect, he's just not someone you bank your future on.

mightysimi
05-01-2011, 06:53 PM

Lucky for you there is a draft every year.

Crisis
05-01-2011, 07:32 PM
so buffalo has to wait 3 more years for that top-line center to be almost nhl ready in all likelihood.

SabreEleven
05-01-2011, 08:48 PM
so buffalo has to wait 3 more years for that top-line center to be almost nhl ready in all likelihood.

One word...

Free agency...it's a new era in Buffalo Sabres hockey.

bigbub2352
05-01-2011, 11:03 PM
out of all our ufa i would only sign mccormick...bring up kassain and adam...and maybe see if mancari sticks thats size and hopefully scoring ability exactly what we need

I would have to say we need to add in fa...centers and at least 2 dmen...physical ones... we got leopold gragani and myers to bring the puck up and shoot...and keep maybe morrison as ur 7th

Crisis
05-02-2011, 01:27 AM
One word...

Free agency...it's a new era in Buffalo Sabres hockey.

that's what i'm saying, but people here are hell-bent on developing talent to fill the top center role.... i mean it's worked so well for us in the past right? we developed drury + briere afterall....oh wait.

Dr. Lecter
05-02-2011, 04:51 AM
out of all our ufa i would only sign mccormick...bring up kassain and adam...and maybe see if mancari sticks thats size and hopefully scoring ability exactly what we need

I would have to say we need to add in fa...centers and at least 2 dmen...physical ones... we got leopold gragani and myers to bring the puck up and shoot...and keep maybe morrison as ur 7th
Kassian needs a year in Portland

trapezeus
05-03-2011, 08:44 AM
maybe i didn't read this thread correctly, but i think people who want adam up is asking for him to get a shot at the 4th line center and develop on the team. not to be the answer as a starting center.

The FA has to pick up the immediate impact top line center. The team is ready to win in 2-3 years. this isn't the bills squad. They've got an emerging core, they've got a franchise goalie, they now have a good backup to give that goalie a rest. They just need some front of the net cleaning defensemen to be paired with the puck moving defensemen. And they've got a couple tradeable people to get those pieces.

Centers for next year:
1 FA
2 Roy
3 Gaustad
4 Adam

SabreEleven
05-03-2011, 09:27 AM
They need 2 or 3 FA's who can play against teams other 1st liners so Roy, Vanek and Pominville can go back to playing agains 2nd and 3rd liners so they can shine. Basically replacements for the FA they lost under Galisano and Quinn.

trapezeus
05-03-2011, 09:46 AM
i am not sure if they need to go all out like that and replace a top line.

i think vanek is better with a better center.

i agree pominville and roy should be second line players. but i would be interested to see richards with vanek and stafford.

SkateZilla
05-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Vanek and Roy play well as 2nd line forwards.

I dont think the list of UFAs and RFAs is even out yet.

Rebuild the 1st Line completely.
We have a 2nd Line
Put some decent forchecker/power forwards around Guastad,
4th Line can be the development/call up line.

Same with Defense.
Myers can't play 60 minutes a night. And we need defensemen that will clear the pucks away from the crease, and keep forwards to the outside instead of letting them come in on miller or enroth.

Miller / Enroth is a good combo, Enroth got really comfortable after his first few looks in the NHL. He's a reliable backup, unlike some one else, who was winless this year.

Bring in a Special teams coach, the PP has gone into the crapper in the last 3 years, and needs to be flushed and started over.

trapezeus
05-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Vanek and Roy play well as 2nd line forwards.

I dont think the list of UFAs and RFAs is even out yet.

Rebuild the 1st Line completely.
We have a 2nd Line
Put some decent forchecker/power forwards around Guastad,
4th Line can be the development/call up line.

Same with Defense.
Myers can't play 60 minutes a night. And we need defensemen that will clear the pucks away from the crease, and keep forwards to the outside instead of letting them come in on miller or enroth.

Miller / Enroth is a good combo, Enroth got really comfortable after his first few looks in the NHL. He's a reliable backup, unlike some one else, who was winless this year.

Bring in a Special teams coach, the PP has gone into the crapper in the last 3 years, and needs to be flushed and started over.

I'm not against the above,but

line 1 is freshly rebuilt
line 2 is vanek, roy, stafford
line 3 you put decent forecheckers with gaustad
line 4 is development

where do ennis and Gerbe fit? What about kaleta, mancari, pominville. These guys are coming back. They played well enough to be meaningful pieces of the puzzle. and in some ways gerbe and possibly ennis showed signs of being part of the new core.

Defense we have myers, leopold, Sekera and Grags. We need 2-3 stay at home defensemen that are a lot better than butler and weber.

absoultely correct about the PP needing new blood. I also am worried about losing dineen. is being an assistant in the NHL more enjoyable and step up than being a HC in the AHL? Not sure.

Crisis
05-03-2011, 04:27 PM
dineen will probably only leave portland for a HC gig in the NHL, which he might get.

hopefully he stays atleast another year so he can help develop kassian

SabreEleven
05-03-2011, 06:04 PM
We should have a kick ass team in Portland next season

SkateZilla
05-03-2011, 08:06 PM
We should have a kick ass team in Portland next season

until they all get called up to replace $5mil/year players that have a chipped nail.

PTI
05-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Vanek is a top line player on any team in the NHL, you guys are freaking crazy. 15th in the NHL in scoring, 15th in goals and had no Center to play with for much of hte season. He is without a doubt a first line player.

chernobylwraiths
05-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Vanel is a top line player on any team in the NHL, you guys are freaking crazy. 15th in the NHL in scoring, 15th in goals and had no Center to play with for much of hte season. He is without a doubt a first line player.

Absolutely Vanek is a first line winger.

SkateZilla
05-04-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm not against the above,but

line 1 is freshly rebuilt
line 2 is vanek, roy, stafford
line 3 you put decent forecheckers with gaustad
line 4 is development

where do ennis and Gerbe fit? What about kaleta, mancari, pominville. These guys are coming back. They played well enough to be meaningful pieces of the puzzle. and in some ways gerbe and possibly ennis showed signs of being part of the new core.

Defense we have myers, leopold, Sekera and Grags. We need 2-3 stay at home defensemen that are a lot better than butler and weber.

absoultely correct about the PP needing new blood. I also am worried about losing dineen. is being an assistant in the NHL more enjoyable and step up than being a HC in the AHL? Not sure.

Line 4 "Development/Call up line"

Stick Ennis and Gerbe on Line 4 with a decent center and let them develop (betcha we'd have the best 4th line in the league). and if injuries take anyone from teh top 3 lines, move ennis/gerbe up to fill spots and call up someone to stick on the 4th line.

trapezeus
05-04-2011, 12:09 PM
i'd think a safer and easier way of building the forward lines is

line 1 Vanek, FA C, Stafford
line 2. Gerbe, Roy, Pominville (small but fiesty)
line 3. Ennis, Gaustad, mccormick
line 4. Mancari, Adam, kaleta/kassian/ellis etc

OpIv37
05-04-2011, 12:19 PM

Gerbe on your 2nd line over Ennis?

PTI
05-04-2011, 12:20 PM

I could go for that. I would live to get a FA Dman better than what we got though. I think Ennis is a 2nd line player though and can score 30 goals. 4th line Center could maybe he Hecht is they kept him, or he could play wing. Is he under contract next year?

trapezeus
05-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Gerbe on your 2nd line over Ennis?

on a small second line, i liked have gerbe's ability to go get a puck over ennis' finesse.

Three finesse players is a huge no no. have we learned nothing from nintendo's ice hockey? you can't survive with 3 skinny's.

SabreEleven
05-04-2011, 01:46 PM

Hello to another first round exit.

trapezeus
05-04-2011, 03:53 PM
perhaps, but having three new wingers as top line is unrealistic.

and i forgot boyes in there...who in an ideal world would be in place for pominville, which probably gives ennis his number 2 spot back

The team needs crease clearing defensemen. badly.