PDA

View Full Version : Final Mock Draft

Mahdi
04-27-2011, 10:51 AM
1. Carolina Panthers -- Cam Newton -- QB -- Auburn-- Its looking likely that Newton is going #1 to the Panthers. They aren't committed to any QB on the roster and Newton's skill set is just too difficult to pass up. If Newton becomes what his potential indicates he can become and the Panthers pass on him, they would be laughed at for a long time.

2. Denver Broncos -- Patrick Peterson -- CB -- LSU -- Everyone expects Dareus to go here but I think the Broncos can take Peterson here and still get a quality DL player at the top of the second round. Peterson is a complete player and can help you in all aspects of your defense. The Revis effect has many teams thinking that the value of a shutdown CB is key to any defense.

3. Buffalo Bills -- Von Miller -- OLB -- Texas A&M -- Its not my favorite pick at 3 but if Miller actually reaches his potential he can be an instant star. The question will be how well he can adapt to the physicality of the NFL game. If he can adapt he will be one of the top pass rushers in the NFL.

4. Cincinnati Bengals -- AJ Green -- WR -- Georgia -- This is an easy pick for Cinci. Ochocinco is a headache and they missed on some WRs they drafted over the last couple of years. Whether the QB is Palmer or someone else, they will need to surround him with some weapons if that offense is going to get back to putting up points.

5. Arizona Cardinals -- Blaine Gabbert -- QB -- Arizona -- Arizona has no solution at QB and it's time they addressed the future there. Gabbert has a ton of upside and would enter a situation where he has plenty of talent around him.

6. Cleveland Browns -- Julio Jones -- WR -- Alabama -- Julio Jones belongs in the top 10 and the Browns are starving for weapons on the offensive side of the ball. They have decided to put the franchise on Colt McCoy's shoulders so now they will have to help him out with explosive playmakers. Julio fits that description.

7. San Francisco 49ers -- Prince Amukamara -- CB -- Nebraska -- SF can really use a shutdown CB and that is exactly what you get from Prince. He is kind of under the radar right now as a top 10 pick but I think this is a good fit for him in terms of value and need for the 9ers.

8. Tennessee Titans -- Marcell Dareus -- DT-- Alabama -- The Titans defense was never the same after Haynesworth left and Dareus has an almost identical skill set. He should help them get back to stopping the run against the Jags and Texans and even get a little pressure on Peyton Manning. For many this will be a surprise but if you think about it he is still only a DT which is not a premium drafting position. Suh went #2 last year because he was an incredibly special talent and McCoy was similar. Dareus is good, but not in their class coming out.

9. Dallas Cowboys -- Tyron Smith -- OT -- USC -- Dallas would be silly not to take Smith here with the need they have at OT. Free is a decent player but not a franchise LT and not the guy you want protecting the franchise QB. Smith has all the tools and measurables to lockdown the LT spot for Dallas for years. Should be a no brainer.

10. Washington Redskins -- Ryan Mallett -- QB -- Arkansas -- Washington simply is in desperate need of a QB so reach a little here for Mallett. The bottom line though is if they believe Mallett can be a franchise QB, whether he is picked at 10 or 20 is irrelevant. Also key here is the presence of Shanahan who probably believes he can turn anyone into a starting QB. In terms of his skills, Mallett has the best arm in the draft so its not a completely crazy selection.

11. Houston Texans -- Robert Quinn -- OLB -- North Carolina -- With the switch to the 3-4 defense the Texans will need to get themselves a versatile athlete who can rush the passer and quick enough to drop into the flat. Sure, Quinn is not that adept at dropping into coverage but how often does DeMarcus Ware ever drop into coverage? Quinn can bring pressure off the edge and that will allow Mario to stay inside at the 5 technique.

12. Minnesota Vikings -- Nick Fairley -- DT -- Auburn -- Fairley certainly fell a little bit but teams are just worried about his one year wonder label. For the Vikings he is a perfect fit to come in and learn behind to PB vets and use his pass rush skills on 3rd down.

13. Detroit Lions -- Aldon Smith -- DE -- Mizzou -- Detroit's D Line is really shaping up with a tough interior but they really don't have that every down DE that can give you an elite pass rush. Aldon Smith is exactly that and will be the missing piece beside Suh.

14. St. Louis Rams -- Jimmy Smith -- CB -- Colorado -- Jimmy Smith in any other draft could have gone higher but the presence of Peterson and Prince pushes him down a little. Smith has everything you want in a shutdown CB and more. He brings length, speed and a willingness to tackle. He also has elite man cover skills. St. Louis really doesn't have a dominant player in the secondary.

15. Miami Dolphins -- Jake Locker -- QB -- Washington -- Miami really doesn't have many needs when you look at the roster maybe RB and S, but other than that they have a solid roster. Locker is not a polished prospect but it was only one year ago that he was considered a top 5 prospect. He definitely has a ton of upside and if Miami can protect him with a strong running game and solid defense it could be a great fit.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Ryan Kerrigan -- The Jags will never stop Manning without a pass rush. They missed on Derrick Harvey and Quentin Groves in prior drafts and they have yet to add a pass rusher. Kerrigan is Mr. Production and although he is sometimes labeled "high motor" I would say that his motor is german engineered. Kerrigan ran a 4.66 40 and had one of the fastest 10 yard split times at the combine with a 1.65. He will be productive in the NFL with his great technique and hand usage.

17. New England Patriots -- Greg Little -- WR -- North Carolina -- The Pats often make strange picks and they often work out. Little is a supremely talented WR and will remind the Pats of Anquan Boldin who they were interested in trading for before he ended up in Baltimore. Little getting passes from Brady might end up being the most productive WR to come out of this draft in year one.

18. San Diego Chargers -- JJ Watt-- DE-- Wisconsin -- Watt is considered by many as the top 3-4 DE in the draft and although SD had the top defense yardage wise in the league last year they can really use a player up front that can punch up their pass rush. Watt has pass rush skills, hustle and impressive size.

19. New York Giants -- Marvin Austin -- DT -- North Carolina -- I love these NC players and the Giants get a top 10 player in terms of talent at 19. Austin is simply disruptive and is a bull in the run game. The Giants run defense hasn't been the same since they lost Fred Robbins. Austin actually compares nicely to Robbins.

20. Tampa Bay Bucs -- Cameron Jordan -- DT -- Cal -- The Bucs drafted Gerald McCoy last year but still need more power inside to complement the penetrating DT. A DE would have been nice here but the value isn't there. Jordan is a solid run defender but he also is no slouch when it comes to getting after the passer which will make him an every down player in the Bucs Cover 2 defense.

21. Kansas City Chiefs -- Anthony Costanzo -- OT -- Boston College -- I'm not that impressed with Costanzo as many are but someone will take him in the first and this could be it. The Chiefs can use him at LT or RT and have a day one starter. How good he will be is the question.

22. Indianapolis Colts -- Muhammad Wilkerson -- DT -- Temple -- Wilkerson represents a bit of a need pick for the Colts here but it really isn't far off in terms of value if at all. Wilkerson is one of the top interior pass rushers in the draft and can help the Colts stop the run which was a problem for them last year as it always is.

23. Philadelphia Eagles -- Brandon Harris -- CB -- Miami -- Another value pick here and the Eagles need a CB either way. Harris is yet another of the talented CBs from this draft and can be compared to Dunta Robinson. Not as big as the other CBs that went before him but makes up for it with great instincts and a fiery attitude.

24. New Orleans Saints -- Cameron Heyward -- DE/DT -- Ohio State -- Just coincidence that Heyward ends up where his Dad played and was known as Ironhead Heyward. Cameron gives the Saints a dynamic DL that can help them inside against the run and can also line up at DE and give them a power end when they move into their 3-4 looks.

25. Seattle Seahawks -- Mike Pouncey -- G/C -- Florida -- Seattle really needs to get their ground game going in order to open up their offense. Pouncey is considered the best interior OL player in the draft and some even consider him the top OL overall.

26. Baltimore Ravens -- Gabe Carimi -- OT -- Wisconsin -- Carimi is your typical Ravens OL. Big, tough and nasty. He isn't the smoothest of athletes but when he locks on the play is over.

27. Atlanta Falcons -- Cory Liuget -- DT-- The Falcons could use a strong interior defender that can also provide a pass rush. Liuget is a typical 3 technique DT who is also tough against the run.

28. New England Patriots -- Akeem Ayers -- OLB-- UCLA -- Ayers is great value here and the Pats need to add more pass rushers. Ayers didn't have great stats but he is a good all around football player with good instincts and football sense.

29. Chicago Bears -- Jonathan Baldwin -- WR -- Pitt -- Baldwin is a big fast WR with great leaping ability and body control. The Bears have really been lacking a big WR to compliment all their little guys and to give Cutler a true #1 guy.

30. New York Jets -- Aaron Williams -- CB -- Texas -- Its doubtful that the Jets will be able to resign Antonio Cromartie considering the other contracts they have to cover off and they understand the value of having 2 solid CBs in their backfield. Williams is another of the talented CBs this year and has great size at 6 ft 204 pounds.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Nate Solder -- OT -- Colorado -- Many will feel this is too low for Solder but I think the OTs taken ahead of him are better. Solder has plenty of talent but can be beat by speed easily at times. Either way the Steelers get a solid OT to plug in at either of the OT spots since they need help at both.

32. Green Bay Packers -- Mark Ingram -- RB -- Alabama -- How about a RB to close out the first round. The Pack get richer here with the top RB in the draft for a team that struggled to run the ball all year. So much for run and stop the run. Either way, Ingram gives them power and a great sense for finding the gap. He might have had an average 40 but his 10 yard split was impressive and that is critical for any RB.

Buffalo 34: Ras-I Dowling -- CB -- Virginia

Buffalo 3rd round: Ricky Stanzi -- QB -- Iowa

Lone Stranger
04-27-2011, 11:25 AM
The Bills won't pass on Dareus.

CleveSteve
04-27-2011, 11:29 AM
The Bills won't pass on Dareus.

And if they did, which would shock me, I highly doubt the Browns would then pass on him too.

mysticsoto
04-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Mahdi, you have us not taking what many consider the best of the rookie class in Dareus, and then go on to take a CB in rd 2??? LB or QB are much higher priorities, or even OT!!!

Mahdi
04-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Mahdi, you have us not taking what many consider the best of the rookie class in Dareus, and then go on to take a CB in rd 2??? LB or QB are much higher priorities, or even OT!!!
In terms of value I don't see a LB, OT or QB with more value than Dowling. Dowling can be a star CB from day one. Anyone at the positions you mentioned would be a project.

Plus we have a huge need at CB that many are overlooking.

Mahdi
04-27-2011, 11:41 AM
And if they did, which would shock me, I highly doubt the Browns would then pass on him too.
Why? the Browns defense is actually decent. They have a young QB no receiving weapons. I think Julio Jones is a good fit there even if Dareus is available.

mysticsoto
04-27-2011, 11:43 AM
In terms of value I don't see a LB, OT or QB with more value than Dowling. Dowling can be a star CB from day one. Anyone at the positions you mentioned would be a project.

Plus we have a huge need at CB that many are overlooking.

If we had a huge need at CB, we'd be taking Petersen. We have a huge need on the Dline-7, QB, OT and maybe TE. If you're saying you're drafting for value only, I guess that's different, but you will end up leaving Buffalo with lots of bigger holes than what you're covering...

Mahdi
04-27-2011, 12:07 PM
If we had a huge need at CB, we'd be taking Petersen. We have a huge need on the Dline-7, QB, OT and maybe TE. If you're saying you're drafting for value only, I guess that's different, but you will end up leaving Buffalo with lots of bigger holes than what you're covering...
Not necessarily because Miller also represents a huge need, pass rush. The way I drafted for the Bills was based on the fact that they can get a good CB in round 2, not likely to get anything close to Miller in rd2.

I actually don't even really like the Miller pick, its just what I think will happen.

DraftBoy
04-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Im telling you now if Dareus is there he's the pick, Im 100% confident in that.

Love Dowling in the 2nd, hate Stanzi.

psubills62
04-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Im telling you now if Dareus is there he's the pick, Im 100% confident in that.

Love Dowling in the 2nd, hate Stanzi.
Why do you dislike Stanzi so much, out of curiosity?

mysticsoto
04-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Not necessarily because Miller also represents a huge need, pass rush. The way I drafted for the Bills was based on the fact that they can get a good CB in round 2, not likely to get anything close to Miller in rd2.

I actually don't even really like the Miller pick, its just what I think will happen.

So if Miller were taken, let's say, then you would go for Peterson as our 1st pick - not necessarily based on value, but b'cse you feel our need is that high for a CB?

As many people have mentioned also, I like Kyle Rudolph in the 2nd!!! And I think he will almost definitely be there for us...

DraftBoy
04-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Why do you dislike Stanzi so much, out of curiosity?

Lack of athletic ability, poor decision making, doesnt make good reads, forces throws.

Great intangibles, nice kid, but severly deficient in football IQ.

mayotm
04-27-2011, 12:36 PM
The Bills won't pass on Dareus.People keep posting this. How do any of us know what the Bills are going to do? Just because most of us fans want Dareus doesn't mean the Bills are going to draft him if he's available.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Never give up already said that newton and dareus are 1/2 on the board, nix said we value the run stopping more, dareus can also be a great pass rusher, we are not passing on dareus, if we do, then i know wilson is still calling the shots...

Mahdi
04-27-2011, 12:42 PM
So if Miller were taken, let's say, then you would go for Peterson as our 1st pick - not necessarily based on value, but b'cse you feel our need is that high for a CB?

As many people have mentioned also, I like Kyle Rudolph in the 2nd!!! And I think he will almost definitely be there for us...
I am purely value in the top 10. So if Miller is gone I would go Newton or Peterson or Green or Dareus.

mysticsoto
04-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Never give up already said that newton and dareus are 1/2 on the board, nix said we value the run stopping more, dareus can also be a great pass rusher, we are not passing on dareus, if we do, then i know wilson is still calling the shots...

I was pissed when we drafted Maybin over Orakpo, disappointed in McKelvin over DRC, a little perplexed at Spiller last year...if we pass on Dareus this year, I may need to start considering moving to a team that knows what it's doing!

Mahdi
04-27-2011, 12:50 PM
I was pissed when we drafted Maybin over Orakpo, disappointed in McKelvin over DRC, a little perplexed at Spiller last year...if we pass on Dareus this year, I may need to start considering moving to a team that knows what it's doing!
Mckelvin over DRC was the right call IMO. He was the more polished CB.

stuckincincy
04-27-2011, 12:57 PM

Well, that would narrow it down to about 10 teams...

:whoosh:

DraftBoy
04-27-2011, 12:58 PM

No he wasn't. You say that because McKelvin comes from an FBS level school and DRC from an FCS level school. But that thought was put to rest during their rookie seasons when DRC made big time contributions for Zona.

mysticsoto
04-27-2011, 01:00 PM

DRC had the greater potential any way you looked at it and he delivered even faster than McKelvin did!!!

feldspar
04-27-2011, 01:17 PM
I wouldn't mind Von Miller as the pick at all, but to skip over Dareus would be a ridiculous mistake.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-27-2011, 03:51 PM
If Dareus falls to eight, I might eat my hat.

SquishDaFish
04-27-2011, 03:54 PM
There is no way in blue hell Dareus falls that far

Mahdi
04-27-2011, 07:38 PM
There is no way in blue hell Dareus falls that far
Prolly not... but remember that he is a DT and a lot of teams value CBs, WRs and pass rushers more..