PDA

View Full Version : Dareus and Miller are gone at 3, what now?

X-Era
04-27-2011, 03:43 PM
The options are:

Peterson
Green
Gabbert
Newton

Personally, I don't think anyone else should be in play. And this poll doesn't include the trade down option... though I think it's a real option.

My pick is Gabbert

baalworship
04-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Cam Newton!

BuffaloBlitz83
04-27-2011, 03:53 PM
newton

Yasgur's Farm
04-27-2011, 03:53 PM
No brainer... Newton IMO

NOT THE DUDE...
04-27-2011, 03:54 PM
no brainer, newton

SquishDaFish
04-27-2011, 03:55 PM
I think it should be Gabbert but its the Bills and the overhyped Newton would be the pik

Prov401
04-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Peterson.

ddaryl
04-27-2011, 05:25 PM
I think it can be Newton... if anyone can turn Cam into an NFL QB I think Chan can...

If it was me, I'm passing on Newton. He's got the Athletic part, but the mental part, and some of his past dealings concern me enough... but It's not up to me.

So I'm looking for trade partners

If I have to choose I'm going Peterson.

lordofgun
04-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Peterson if we can't trade down.

THRILLHO
04-27-2011, 05:34 PM
All aboard the Blaine Train!

Bangarang
04-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Why isn't "Cry and violently masturbate using my tears as lube" an option?

X-Era
04-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Why isn't "Cry and violently masturbate using my tears as lube" an option?Tears have bad lubricity?

A bit over the top man... we should keep it a bit more civil.

Bangarang
04-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Tears have bad lubricity?

A bit over the top man... we should keep it a bit more civil.

Fine. Can "Sitting alone in the corner of a dark room with a bottle of Jack as you come to terms with the team drafting Newton" be an option?

mikemac2001
04-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Surprised by these results....

i would think Peterson and Green would have more

they are probably the top 2 players in the draft.....newton > Gabbert is also shocking

i see CB and #1 WR as more of a need then QB "right now"

but would rather improve the D then anything

X-Era
04-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Surprised by these results....

i would think Peterson and Green would have more

they are probably the top 2 players in the draft.....newton > Gabbert is also shocking

i see CB and #1 WR as more of a need then QB "right now"

but would rather improve the D then anythingI think it just shows that the loudest opinions aren't always the most popular.

YardRat
04-27-2011, 06:32 PM
'Reach' for Cameron Jordan or JJ Watt.

If those aren't an option, though...Peterson.

I don't want any offensive player of any kind in the first round.

Ebenezer
04-27-2011, 06:35 PM

I don't want any offensive player of any kind in the first round.
This team needs defense so badly but others are blind because of the prospect of a shiny new QB.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Peterson.

X-Era
04-27-2011, 06:36 PM

I don't want any offensive player of any kind in the first round.Interesting. Cam Jordan went into the off-season as a late 1st or 2nd round kind of guy who now is talked about at 3... Why does this not apply to the rule about moving a guy way up post-season?

mikemac2001
04-27-2011, 06:37 PM
I think it just shows that the loudest opinions aren't always the most popular.

ya i don't want newton but i feel just as confident with gabbert but i give the slight edge to newton for his legs (but not his head)

i just feel at three we can't miss

peterson and aj green are slam dunks but what do i know

X-Era
04-27-2011, 06:39 PM
ya i don't want newton but i feel just as confident with gabbert but i give the slight edge to newton for his legs (but not his head)

i just feel at three we can't miss

peterson and aj green are slam dunks but what do i know:clap: I love that statement. We could but not if we stick to the value.

tcb5033
04-27-2011, 07:06 PM
many people are saying that Peterson is the best player in this draft, so in this situation why wouldn't we take him? now, having said that...the bills would probably grab newton. I still teeter back and forth about how i would feel if the bills take newton.

stuckincincy
04-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Peterson.

psubills62
04-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Cam....

Jordan, that is.

X-Era
04-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Cam....

Jordan, that is.Why is it OK to move Cameron Jordan from late 1 or so up to #3 overall in the post season when it isn't for other players?

Not calling you out, just want to understand this.

psubills62
04-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Why is it OK to move Cameron Jordan from late 1 or so up to #3 overall in the post season when it isn't for other players?

Not calling you out, just want to understand this.
Because he's not a late 1 and never has been. He's not the third best player in the draft, but I think he is a great fit for our defense and could go a long way towards solidifying our DL. I have no problem taking the safe pick this year, even at #3.

X-Era
04-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Because he's not a late 1 and never has been. He's not the third best player in the draft, but I think he is a great fit for our defense and could go a long way towards solidifying our DL. I have no problem taking the safe pick this year, even at #3.He was very much a late 1 pick at the end of the season. If you imply that the media's ratings now haven't been the same since during the season, I agree.

I just want us to be fair and realize that rankings can change drastically. When talking QB, it was preposterous and meant that the guy wasn't really worthy... that applies, or does not apply at all positions but is obviously player specific.

Here's McShay's mock #1, in November with Jordan at 28:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/insider/news/story?id=5783980

Here's Kiper's mock #1 in January with Jordan at 18:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/insider/news/story?page=KiperMockDraft1.0

Thurmal
04-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Someone sell me on Peterson.

We have Florence, McGee, McKelvin, and Corner. We also have a plethora of guys who are good in the return game, so his ST skills aren't that special for us.

X-Era
04-27-2011, 08:31 PM

We have Florence, McGee, McKelvin, and Corner. We also have a plethora of guys who are good in the return game, so his ST skills aren't that special for us.I'm thanking that post because he is totally worthy of the pick, but just doesn't solve enough of an issue for me.

He's tied for the best player in this draft IMO, and I can never be pissed at getting that out of a draft. But, we just don't have enough need.

X-Era
04-27-2011, 08:48 PM
This is related to this post and many others. I will say it again and I can't say it enough. And it sounds simple but is so overlooked. This whole issue of a QB at 3 comes down to whether or not Nix and Co. think a guy is a franchise QB... if that answer is yes, and it easily could be, I expect the Bills to look at a QB at 3 tomorrow... with a likelihood that we go that way.

Here's his comments from today on Gabbert and Newton:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/04/27/nix-on-newton-gabbert/

Nix was asked about the merits of taking a quarterback when you are up high in the draft order (http://www.wedg.com/FlashPlayer/default.asp?SPID=22412&nID=1) knowing you may not be up there again.

“I think there’s a lot of argument for that,” said Nix. ”You can help your team in a lot of other ways a lot quicker, but you can also in the long run help your team more by getting a franchise quarterback. Now the key is this. Is there a franchise quarterback there that you feel very confident about?”

“I think about when we drafted Phillip Rivers in San Diego there wasn’t any question in our mind that he’s a guy you build your team around. If you feel that way about anybody in this draft then you should take him with the third pick if he’s there.”

He then said:

Co-host Ted Shredd then appropriately asked, ‘Do you feel that way about anybody in this draft?’

“That’s a little different question,” said Nix. ”We do think that Gabbert and Cam Newton have a better than average chance of being a franchise guy. There are obviously arguments both ways and you can make a case either way you want to go. But at some point you have to go with your gut feeling and take the guy and make it work.”

At face value, and if you believe what he's telling you, a QB is very much in play at 3 tomorrow. It's not our opinions on these guys that matter.

stuckincincy
04-27-2011, 08:52 PM

We have Florence, McGee, McKelvin, and Corner. We also have a plethora of guys who are good in the return game, so his ST skills aren't that special for us.

After the demise of the "wedge" last season, and the coming, new rules about kick-offs, I think that KO skills don't count for much anymore.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-27-2011, 08:56 PM

Quite simply, there's nobody better to pick. None of the four are at crucial positions that need upgrading. Gabbert is a mediocrity and Newton is a huge risk; neither is a sure thing when it comes to improving the QB position, and at #3 it's crucial that said person is a surefire thing, especially at QB. Otherwise you end up with Joey Harrington.

So that narrows it down to two: Peterson and Green. Green's a wide receiver, Peterson a cornerback. Both positions are fairly deep: Florence, McGee, McKelvin, Corner, and if need be, Byrd at the CB position... Evans, Johnson, Nelson, Easley, Roosevelt, etc. at receiver. The difference is that the CB depth is older. Most of the WR crop is a group of rookies who have much more potential to get better with time. CB is not: McGee's nearing the end of his effective career, a couple of the CBs are free agents, and Byrd is currently playing safety. Putting Peterson on the team is more likely to make an immediate improvement than Green is.

psubills62
04-27-2011, 09:16 PM
He was very much a late 1 pick at the end of the season. If you imply that the media's ratings now haven't been the same since during the season, I agree.

I just want us to be fair and realize that rankings can change drastically. When talking QB, it was preposterous and meant that the guy wasn't really worthy... that applies, or does not apply at all positions but is obviously player specific.

Here's McShay's mock #1, in November with Jordan at 28:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/insider/news/story?id=5783980

Here's Kiper's mock #1 in January with Jordan at 18:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/insider/news/story?page=KiperMockDraft1.0
Kiper and McShay's predictions mean as little to me as McShay's prediction that Locker would have been under consideration for the #1 overall pick last year had he entered the draft. Jordan is not a late 1, he's a legit top ten player, and I don't think it's just that way for Buffalo - I believe a number of teams would have no problem selecting him in the top 10.

X-Era
04-28-2011, 05:37 AM
Kiper and McShay's predictions mean as little to me as McShay's prediction that Locker would have been under consideration for the #1 overall pick last year had he entered the draft. Jordan is not a late 1, he's a legit top ten player, and I don't think it's just that way for Buffalo - I believe a number of teams would have no problem selecting him in the top 10.I think Jordan is in play as a top 10 player as well. I think this simply shows what I've been saying, player stocks will rise in the media at least, post season. Teams and some that watch the games may have had a more steady rank on guys. The concept that a player couldn't or shouldn't rise post season just isn't realistic.

jamze132
04-28-2011, 06:06 AM
In this scenario we would have our phones off the hook for more than 9 min.

We either trade the pick to slide down a few spots or you take Patrick Peterson, the best player available.

Lone Stranger
04-28-2011, 06:10 AM
This is truly a worst case scenario. You would have to go with the BPA and that would be Peterson. I love Gabbert but not this high.

alohabillsfan
04-28-2011, 06:12 AM
Any of the four but Gabbert,

1) Peterson
2) Newton
3) Green
4) Gabbert

mikemac2001
04-28-2011, 06:15 AM
This is truly a worst case scenario. You would have to go with the BPA and that would be Peterson. I love Gabbert but not this high.

Though I agree with you in a need standpoint

Having the best two players at the draft to chose from is not a worst case scenario

We need slam dunks can't miss here

Dareus-Peterson-miller-green

Say no to qb take one of those 4 or trade down and get more bodies

tampabay25690
04-28-2011, 06:23 AM
Most know how I feel about Peterson. He is the best player in this draft.

I really think that the Bills are thinking Peterson at #3 as well as Miller and Dareus...They may surprise some of you and make that pick....

The problem is if Cam Newton is there at #3 I think they make that move. 1st of all this franchise needs a Big name guy...Let Cam sit for a year or 2 and learn the system and the NFL.......This would be a smart business move if it pays out as well....I know some of you say that Ralph Wilson Stadium sells out every week but you are wrong, it doesn't. Times have changed and $$$ doesn't grow on trees and this year $$ will get tighter and tighter just look at the gas pumps and the supermarkets.......To keep Bills fans interested in the Bills and staying away from there TV's and going to the games, the Bills need to make a bold move and grab Newton........
I guess we will see.........

psubills62
04-28-2011, 09:13 AM
I think Jordan is in play as a top 10 player as well. I think this simply shows what I've been saying, player stocks will rise in the media at least, post season. Teams and some that watch the games may have had a more steady rank on guys. The concept that a player couldn't or shouldn't rise post season just isn't realistic.
I agree with you there, the media is usually late to catch onto things.