PDA

View Full Version : NFL's request for stay has been denied

gggbills
04-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Not really sure what happens next. FA perhaps??

Saratoga Slim
04-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Not really sure what happens next. FA perhaps??

That means that the District Court Judge's order enjoining the teams from locking the players out until the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals can render a decision on the League's appeal.

Hard to know what will happen in the 30-60 days between now and the 8th Circuit's decision. My guess is that the league/teams show the minimum required to demonstrate cooperation with the District Court's Order. I.e., maybe players can use the facilities etc. But I doubt that the league is going to proactively detail rules for free agency or anything like that.

If they lose on appeal, then they'll probably have to do so. For now, they just have to look like they're behaving themselves in accordance with the trial court's decision for a month or two.

Ickybaluky
04-27-2011, 09:01 PM
League will appeal for a stay immediately in St. Louis, and hold off starting the league year. Judge Nelson said that teams didn't have to start signing FA immediately, but they did need to lift the lockout.

The NFL will immediately appeal, but is running out of legal options. If they lose their appeal, football will start up under interim rules and the court battle will play out over time. That is probably the best scenario right now.

I am not sure what that means for trading players during the draft, the league will have to comment on that. I think they probably don't do anything pending the appeal for stay. We will see what happens.

Saratoga Slim
04-27-2011, 09:03 PM
FYI, this is entirely unsurprising. They're basically asking Judge Nelson "Hey, we think your decision is wrong and are asking the 8th Circuit to overturn it. Can you put your orders to us on hold until the 8th Circuit can reverse you?"

It wasn't an effort with much likelihood of success. It was a token effort that nonetheless had to be made.

methos4ever
04-27-2011, 09:06 PM
The big line in the sand on this will be the UDFA process after the draft. While it typically goes with the draft process, the draft in this case is the end of the league year.

So, if they don't sign players they're risking losing them to the UFL or other teams, but if they all do sign UDFAs, the NFLPTA can argue the league year has begun and vets are open season too.

Extremebillsfan247
04-27-2011, 09:17 PM
With this ruling, and the draft opening tomorrow, it falls on the League to open for business as early as tomorrow or risk being held in contempt of Judge Nelson's decision. In other words, chaos is about to unfold.

mrbojanglezs
04-27-2011, 09:17 PM
well I think its officially safe to say that there will be no offseason activities to look forward to this year including training camp

Extremebillsfan247
04-27-2011, 09:28 PM
I think the NFL is still going to play it as they have in an effort to stretch this thing out as long as they can until the 8th Circuit can make a ruling on that stay in one way or the other. No Owner is obligated to sign any free agent at this time according to Judge Nelson's ruling, only that the doors must be open for the players to begin training. If I'm reading the reactions from both sides correctly, things are about to get worse.

Mike13
04-27-2011, 09:32 PM
As if the Owners didnt look like douchebags before....

Extremebillsfan247
04-27-2011, 09:45 PM
NFL clubs phones are already being lit up with calls from players agents. lol

Ickybaluky
04-27-2011, 09:49 PM
With this ruling, and the draft opening tomorrow, it falls on the League to open for business as early as tomorrow or risk being held in contempt of Judge Nelson's decision. In other words, chaos is about to unfold.

That is what the players say, but Judge Nelson's ruling states:

"Nothing in this Court’s Order obligates the NFL to even enter into any contract with the Players."

and:

"Defendants are under no obligation to enter a new contract with any player."

So, players are saying FA starts, owners are saying they can open facilities to players, but don't have to start business.

That is probably what happens until the appeal is ruled on.

Saratoga Slim
04-27-2011, 09:55 PM

"Nothing in this Court’s Order obligates the NFL to even enter into any contract with the Players."

and:

So, players are saying FA starts, owners are saying they can open facilities to players, but don't have to start business.

Right

Extremebillsfan247
04-27-2011, 10:02 PM

and:

Right, I also posted this, "I think the NFL is still going to play it as they have in an effort to stretch this thing out as long as they can until the 8th Circuit can make a ruling on that stay in one way or the other. No Owner is obligated to sign any free agent at this time according to Judge Nelson's ruling". in the same thread which basically says the same thing you just posted.

Ickybaluky
04-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Right

I think the thing that is interesting is how stubborn the league will be. They are dicking around with the judges order, and risk contempt. They should just announce rules for the opening of league business and move on. Nothing they have done makes sense, but they refuse to give in.

methos4ever
04-27-2011, 10:58 PM
I think the thing that is interesting is how stubborn the league will be. They are dicking around with the judges order, and risk contempt. They should just announce rules for the opening of league business and move on. Nothing they have done makes sense, but they refuse to give in.
I think they are at the whims of what the owners want to argue, which is seriously killing Goodell and his PR campaign and more importantly for them their lawyers. They essentially want the courts to say 'ok' and let them run roughshod over the very free market economy they'll be appealing against with the conservative appellate court.