PDA

View Full Version : Here are the 2 scenarios I think Bills are HOPING for

Coach Sal
04-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Here are the top 2 scenarios I think Nix would love to happen Thursday night (in order):

1. Dareus falls to #3. Sold.

If Dareus doesn't fall to #3......

2. Bills find a team in love with and willing to trade up to grab Newton or Gabbert (whichever one/both are there) and trade down to stay in top 10-12 and pick up extra 2nd rounder, maybe more.
--Bills then take JJ Watt, Cam Jordan, or Robert Quinn with that pick.
--Bills then use the extra ammunition from trade to trade back into 1st round and grab Christian Ponder.

According to Bills reporter Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article405596.ece), the Bills don't think Ponder will be available at 34. He also writes in the link that "Blaine Gabbert is still very much in the mix" at #3, which echos what I said on my show back on April 6th and have stood by. But I also noted that even though they like Gabbert, they're not so in love with him that they aren't willing to trade the pick even if he's there.

I like both scenarios. The problem with the 2nd scenario, though, is it takes a lot of things to fall exactly right. They'd have to find a willing top-10 partner, then have Ponder last long enough to still grab him late 1st round, and have to find a team willing to deal their late 1st to allow it to happen.

That's a lot of hoping and planning things go right. But I think it's what they'd love to have happen.

homeslice5484
04-27-2011, 11:19 PM
Don't mind the scenario, but I think there are better QB options than Ponder.

Philagape
04-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Trading down would be a great move even if they didn't trade back up

psubills62
04-28-2011, 12:08 AM
I'd really, really rather not trade up into the first, especially to grab Ponder. Keep the extra picks, or even trade a second rounder for a future first. Ponder should be around at 34.

I find it frustrating when we need to rely on other teams being stupid (a la Denver and Tebow last year) to keep us from being stupid.

ServoBillieves
04-28-2011, 12:23 AM
Fitzy is QB in 2011. That's all I'm seeing right now. If we want to spend millions of dollars (that is apparently a HUGE problem between both sides in the labor agreement where they don't know who to give their Billions to) to a backup, this organization is BRILLIANT!

So let's drop multiple millions of dollars on Newton or Gabbert when we have so many options to improve the defense... Miller, Dareus, in a trade down it should be Watt, Jordan, who knows... but if one of these overhyped QB's is taken at 3, we'll be boned, and be in Carolina's place next season, ready to take Luck, who will, again, probably drop on the board after the season.

bosshogg21
04-28-2011, 03:29 AM
Does anybody else want nothing to do with gabbert or ponder?

clumping platelets
04-28-2011, 04:26 AM
I have no problems with Ponder

Buddo
04-28-2011, 04:39 AM
TBH, if Dareus 'falls' to us, I think we are laughing. We get a serious boost to the run D, straight off the bat, and having done that, it allows us much more flexibility in who to take where - especially at the #34 pick.
If there's any sort of 'run' on QBs, then there's a good chance that there will be a good OT available there, or even another DE. Another possibility could be TE at that pick, but only if we have already got our run stuffer help in Dareus.

Dr. Lecter
04-28-2011, 05:11 AM
I speculated about the second scenario a few weeks ago on Sal's Show and would be fine with it.

Trade down, then use the extra second (and maybe a a third) to move back up and snag Ponder.

I have said this for two years - I love Ponder. I think he might be the best pro QB in this draft. If they get him that will greatly solve the QB problem.

I will be trying to stay up until the first round is over tonight (or at least until Ponder is drafted)

elltrain22
04-28-2011, 05:24 AM
Any scenario where Dareus falls in our lap needs to end in us taking him!!! You don't take Gabbert, and you don't trade back, b/c Jordan or Watt are not guaranteed at being there, plus they're not nearly as talented of a player as Dareus. I'm tellin ya, if we leave him (Dareus) on the board, I'm gonna ****ing loose it!!

YardRat
04-28-2011, 05:26 AM
I could see either scenario playing out also, but really don't want to trade back into the first round. I'm OK with Ponder, but only if he's there at 34. We have too many needs to fill to spend multiple picks on one player.

jamze132
04-28-2011, 05:54 AM
I would rather take Mallet, Locker, Dalton, or Stanzi than friggin Ponder. Don't even get me started on Gabbert.

Dr. Lecter
04-28-2011, 05:54 AM
I would rather take Mallet, Locker, Dalton, or Stanzi than friggin Ponder. Don't even get me started on Gabbert.
Stanzi?

Come on.

tampabay25690
04-28-2011, 05:59 AM
The way things may happen as of this AM....
And this is just going off of all day yesterday and this AM on NFL radio is....

Denver is looking more and more like the will draft VON MILLER.......
If thats the case all scenarios are done and the Bills will take Marcell Dareus.......
I guess we will see tonite...
I think all options are open though for the Bills......

X-Era
04-28-2011, 06:02 AM
Fitzy is QB in 2011. That's all I'm seeing right now. If we want to spend millions of dollars (that is apparently a HUGE problem between both sides in the labor agreement where they don't know who to give their Billions to) to a backup, this organization is BRILLIANT!

So let's drop multiple millions of dollars on Newton or Gabbert when we have so many options to improve the defense... Miller, Dareus, in a trade down it should be Watt, Jordan, who knows... but if one of these overhyped QB's is taken at 3, we'll be boned, and be in Carolina's place next season, ready to take Luck, who will, again, probably drop on the board after the season.Or, we do nothing significant again at QB in this draft. Fitz becomes a UFA after this season and demands 7 or 8 mill per year to continue his average play, we pay it, making a big commitment to him. Become a 8 and 8 team with a QB who now is painfully a major reason we can't get to the playoffs or beyond. And were desperate and stuck with no backup option.

mikemac2001
04-28-2011, 06:10 AM
Or, we do nothing significant again at QB in this draft. Fitz becomes a UFA after this season and demands 7 or 8 mill per year to continue his average play, we pay it, making a big commitment to him. Become a 8 and 8 team with a QB who now is painfully a major reason we can't get to the playoffs or beyond. And were desperate and stuck with no backup option.

To be honest I bet signs a 2-3 year extension right after CBa is agreed on

Especially if we don't draft a qb

Lone Stranger
04-28-2011, 06:17 AM
Coach Sal pretty well picked my brain initially until he reached for Ponder. Trading down is fine if used to stockpile DL and LB.

baalworship
04-28-2011, 06:33 AM
Watched Missouri-Nevada 2009 game the other night and while Gabbert looked good Kaepernick looked great.

His throws were accurate and he really has an arm. I really hope we don't waste extra picks and just wait till we pick again at 34 and take Kaepernick if we want a QB.

elltrain22
04-28-2011, 07:12 AM

I second that!! Ponder is the 2nd coming of Trentative

Coach Sal
04-28-2011, 07:14 AM

It's fine if you don't like Gabbert, but you write this as if there is one year left until the NFL is completely gone and we will never need a QB beyond this next season.

mysticsoto
04-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Here are the top 2 scenarios I think Nix would love to happen Thursday night (in order):

1. Dareus falls to #3. Sold.

If Dareus doesn't fall to #3......

2. Bills find a team in love with and willing to trade up to grab Newton or Gabbert (whichever one/both are there) and trade down to stay in top 10-12 and pick up extra 2nd rounder, maybe more.
--Bills then take JJ Watt, Cam Jordan, or Robert Quinn with that pick.
--Bills then use the extra ammunition from trade to trade back into 1st round and grab Christian Ponder.

According to Bills reporter Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article405596.ece), the Bills don't think Ponder will be available at 34. He also writes in the link that "Blaine Gabbert is still very much in the mix" at #3, which echos what I said on my show back on April 6th and have stood by. But I also noted that even though they like Gabbert, they're not so in love with him that they aren't willing to trade the pick even if he's there.

I like both scenarios. The problem with the 2nd scenario, though, is it takes a lot of things to fall exactly right. They'd have to find a willing top-10 partner, then have Ponder last long enough to still grab him late 1st round, and have to find a team willing to deal their late 1st to allow it to happen.

That's a lot of hoping and planning things go right. But I think it's what they'd love to have happen.

Interesting...so Miller isn't being considered? That must mean they expect big things from Merriman. Hope he is 100% healthy and stays that way.

Dr. Lecter
04-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Interesting...so Miller isn't being considered? That must mean they expect big things from Merriman. Hope he is 100% healthy and stays that way.
He did not say that.

mysticsoto
04-28-2011, 07:52 AM
He did not say that.

No, but if you consider your top scenario to trade down rather than to take Miller, it means they don't think we need him as badly. I'm not going to say they don't think highly of him b'cse the scouts when asked about him said the only word that would fit is "freak".

The only reason for preferring to trade down over drafting him would be that they expect Merriman to contribute alot. And in truth, if he is healthy, he should be able to. He's only 26. But sadly, it's been like 4 yrs since he's done anything outstanding...

EDS
04-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Does anybody else want nothing to do with gabbert or ponder?

I would not trade up for Ponder. I have expected Buddy to target a QB in round 2 for a while now though, so we will see. I am sure there are teams that have Dalton rated above Ponder, so he could easily slip into the second round.

ct bills fan
04-28-2011, 08:57 AM
I think Coach Sal may be right on; Rotoworld is supporting the 2nd part of his story.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6433/christian-ponder

If rumors are true that they love Jordan, I guess they'd try to trade down in the 1st to get him and trade back into the 1st for Ponder. I could live with that, but, if Dareus is available at #3 and they trade the pick, that would be hard to swallow.

ct bills fan
04-28-2011, 08:59 AM
From what I read, Ponder is high on a lot of teams' lists (the "most NFL ready QB in the draft") and it's doubtful he lasts to rd 2. Even if he did, someone would trade for NE's 2nd round pick to screw us and take Ponder. Some teams are actually talking about reaching for him in the mid-1st. A lot of teams have QB issues.

Bill Cody
04-28-2011, 09:06 AM
From what I read, Ponder is high on a lot of teams' lists (the "most NFL ready QB in the draft") and it's doubtful he lasts to rd 2. Even if he did, someone would trade for NE's 2nd round pick to screw us and take Ponder. Some teams are actually talking about reaching for him in the mid-1st. A lot of teams have QB issues.

I'm not buying any of this. No chance is Ponder a 1st round talent. Poor man's Chad Pennington is more like it. I'd be ok with him at 34 and I know we like him. But even though he's much rawer I'd be inclined to gamble on the potential of Kaepernick at 34. If we once again flush draft picks to move up into the 1st round I will:puke:

ct bills fan
04-28-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm not buying any of this. No chance is Ponder a 1st round talent. Poor man's Chad Pennington is more like it. I'd be ok with him at 34 and I know we like him. But even though he's much rawer I'd be inclined to gamble on the potential of Kaepernick at 34. If we once again flush draft picks to move up into the 1st round I will:puke:

I agree, he's not 1st rd talent. I would go further and say I don't think any QB is 1st rd talent this year, Gabbert and Newton included. Reality is about 10-15 teams desperately need a QB and a lot will reach.

Ginger Vitis
04-28-2011, 10:13 AM
I would not trade up for Ponder.

Agreed.. I like Ponder but don't want to have trade up to the bottom of the 1st Round to get him

DraftBoy
04-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Agreed Coach.

Plan A: If Dareus is there, pick is mad.

Plam B: If Dareus is not there, move down 5-10 slots and get Watt/Jordan.

Dr. Lecter
04-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Agreed Coach.

Plan A: If Dareus is there, pick is mad.

Plam B: If Dareus is not there, move down 5-10 slots and get Watt/Jordan.

Yep.

Anybody drafted by the Bills will be very mad because they know they will be on a ****ty team.

psubills62
04-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Yep.

Anybody drafted by the Bills will be very mad because they know they will be on a ****ty team.
I think it's street talk. As in "it's a mad pick, man."

Ed
04-28-2011, 11:09 AM
The way things may happen as of this AM....
And this is just going off of all day yesterday and this AM on NFL radio is....

Denver is looking more and more like the will draft VON MILLER.......
If thats the case all scenarios are done and the Bills will take Marcell Dareus.......
I guess we will see tonite...
I think all options are open though for the Bills......
I live in Denver and that's what I'm hearing more and more from the local guys the past few days. I think Denver's first choice would be to trade and move down, but if not, I think Miller could be the pick. I'm trying to not get too excited because I would love for Dareus to fall to us. I think there's a 50/50 chance they could go either way between Miller and Dareus.

TigerJ
04-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Assuming the Bills can end up with Dareus at #3, what if they are not able to draft Ponder? Is there another QB they like enough to draft at #34? Do they take one later, or not at all?

stuckincincy
04-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Assuming the Bills can end up with Dareus at #3, what if they are not able to draft Ponder? Is there another QB they like enough to draft at #34? Do they take one later, or not at all?

I think CIN is a wild card here.

Palmer's gone (somebody suggested a trade with SEA, but owner Brown vows not to trade him, plus with the labor turmoil, I don't think a trade is possible), and the owner fancies himself a qb guru.

Were I calling their shots, it would be Peterson. Jonathan Joseph's contract is up, and Leon Hall's next year. Their safeties were all wiped out last season, and there's long been talk here about eventually getting Hall into the FS position.

It's my understanding that AZ and WAS have the hots for a qb, too.

Coach Sal
04-28-2011, 05:06 PM

This is not at all what I'm saying. Miller is certainly a consideration. But I believe they would weigh getting him and #34 vs. drafting a a guy like Watt or Jordan and then having 34 AND another pick in the top 45 and/or another 1st if they can trade back.

Also there's no guarantee a team will trade so they have to have other considerations. They like Miller. He'll be considered even in my #2. But it will be a consideration vs. a trade if they can make it and what they can get. And I'm saying I think they'd rather have a solid offer and take it.

As far as your Merriman point I do believe they feel he will be a big part of the D. That's why they gave him $10 for 2 years with $5 guaranteed.

Turf
04-28-2011, 05:14 PM
IF Dareus is there and the Bills happen to pass on him, which btw I think they're stupid enough to do to prove how smart they are, I probably will give up on this team.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-28-2011, 05:15 PM
i think if dareus is there its done and sealed. if not, they will trade down and take jj watt or c jordan for run d...

jamze132
04-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Stanzi?

Come on.
I bet Stanzi has a better career than Ponder. Call it a hunch.

doug45
04-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Or, we do nothing significant again at QB in this draft. Fitz becomes a UFA after this season and demands 7 or 8 mill per year to continue his average play, we pay it, making a big commitment to him. Become a 8 and 8 team with a QB who now is painfully a major reason we can't get to the playoffs or beyond. And were desperate and stuck with no backup option.

You got it !!! As long as we fill the seats the Bills are happy with 8-8. It saves them a lot of money....

doug45
04-28-2011, 10:47 PM

We are in trouble and need a cream of the crop top QB, not a left over one no one else wanted.

Oaf
04-28-2011, 11:00 PM
So glad Dareus was there. Thank you Denver.