PDA

View Full Version : DB's Final Mock Draft

DraftBoy
04-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Round 1:
1. Carolina Panthers – QB Cam Newton, Auburn
Not the most popular pick in the world but maybe the highest impact pick. He will still have to beat out Clausen, and Pike but given what they showed last season

2. Denver Broncos – LB Von Miller, Texas A&M
John Fox has a history of taking athletic playmakers and while Dareus may be the safer pick that is not the direction that the Broncos appear to be headed in.

3. Buffalo Bills – DE Marcel Dareus, Alabama
Apparently Buddy Nix has a direct phone line to Jesus because just a few days ago there was no way Dareus was going to fall to them. As it is with everything in the NFL draft it all changed and Buffalo has the best 5 tech DE in the draft.

4. Cincinnati Bengals – WR AJ Green, Georgia
Whether or not Carson Palmer stays in Cincinnati next year is still up in the air what is even less likely is that either (or both) Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson stick around. AJ Green offers a similar potential skill set to TOcho without the headaches they can cause.

5. Arizona Cardinals – LB Robert Quinn, UNC
Arizona is likely hoping that Von Miller falls to this spot but with him sticking at 2, they will take the next best thing in the athletic Robert Quinn. He doesn’t have as impressive an athletic skill set at Miller, but he’s no slouch either. He comes off the edge like a freight train and has just as much potential.

6. Cleveland Browns – CB Patrick Peterson, LSU
How does arguably the best player in this draft fall all the way to 6? Simple teams are afraid to take DB’s high in the draft. A player who should have been a lock to be top 3, falls out of the top 5 and it doesn’t take the Browns long to capitalize.

7. San Francisco 49ers – CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska
San Francisco has said to be interested in replacing Alex Smith at QB but the value they get from taking Amukamara here is too much to pass on. With Nate Clements nearing the end Amukamara provides a very good replacement.

8. Tennessee Titans – QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
Vince Young is still on Tennessee (for now) but it’s clear that most in the organization don't see him as the future. Gabbert is a guy who many don't think will drop this far and with a new regime I think they take a marquee guy.

9. Dallas Cowboys – OT Tyron Smith, USC
One of the worst kept secrets of this draft is how enamored Jerry Jones and his team are with the junior from So Cal. An athletic product if he can perform the same way at over 300 lbs that he did under, then they might have found a franchise bookend.

10. Washington Redskins – DE Cameron Jordan, Cal
One of my favorite prospects in this draft, Jordan is underrated in terms of his versatility and athleticism. Many want to pigeon hole him as a stud run defender in the 3-4 but he has plenty of pass rush ability that could flourish in Washington.

11. Houston Texans - Julio Jones, WR
Andre Johnson meet Julio Jones...The AFC South is going to have nightmares for years. WR may not be a need for Houston but again with most of the elite DL gone, Houston will look for the most value.

12. Minnesota Vikings – DT Nick Fairley, Auburn
Fairley's attitude and previous record have a cross hair on his back already and that's why you see him fall. Playing next to Kevin Williams allows Minnesota to have a dynamic DT duo that should make an immediate impact.

13. Detroit Lions – CB Jimmy Smith, Colorado
Detroit would love to see Prince fall to here but instead they get an equally talented on the field, but troubled off the field CB. If he can hone his skills and keep control off the field the Lions may have gotten a steal.

14. St. Louis Rams - Aldon Smith, DE/OLB
Last year the Jason Hall exploded for a career year with 14 sacks but at 34 that trend will not continue. Aldon Smith is an explosive edge rusher who will take some time to develop but gives Spags some serious options once he finally does.

15. Miami Dolphins –OG Mike Pouncey, Florida
Maybe little early for an interior lineman but Pouncey's stock is helped by the play of his brother at Pittsburgh. Dominant run blocker who knows how to move people will be a welcome addition in south Florida.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars – QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
Jacksonville is a perfect situation for Ryan Mallett, he can come in and sit for a season, and learn the offense while adjusting to the NFL's speed. We all saw what happened last time Mallett had a year to sit and learn at Arkansas.

17. New England Patriots (From Oakland) – DE JJ Watt, Wisconsin
This pick almost makes too much sense for the Patriots. Watt is an ideal Patriots player in how hard he works and how hard his motor runs. Shouldn’t take him long to become a fan favorite.

18. San Diego Chargers – DE Corey Liuget, Illinois
I think San Diego truly craves JJ Watt here but will happily take Corey Liuget. The powerful and athletic DT has been one of the hottest names this draft season and expect him to kick outside to DE in San Diego.

19. New York Giants - OT Anthony Castonzo, Boston College
The Giants need to get a little younger on the outside of OL. Many have high hopes for William Beatty still and adding Castonzo as another bookend could shore up the position for the next decade.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – DE Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson
Bowers free fall ends here as the Bucs try and find a linemate to team with last years top pick in Gerald McCoy. If Bowers is right and his knee injury is being over blown, Tampa has gotten the steal of the draft.

21. Kansas City Chiefs – DE Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple
Lots of people like a NT here for the Chiefs but I think Pioli would rather sit and wait to see who falls to round 2 instead of over drafting one here. Instead he opts for another fast rising DT to DE convert in Wilkerson from Temple.

22. Indianapolis Colts – OT Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State
Any hit on Peyton Manning is too much for Colts fans so they take my top OT here. A better run blocker than pass blocker for now Sherrod has the potential to develop into a franchise LT in a year or two.

23. Philadelphia Eagles – DE Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue
Lacks the pass rush repertoire and athleticism of some of the other DE's taken above him have, but will outwork just about any player in this class. Very strong and uses very good fundamentals to beat his man.

24. New Orleans Saints - DE Adrian Clayborn, Iowa
New Orleans need to find a way to get more pressure on the QB from the DE spot and Alex Brown did not fit the bill last season. Clayborn had a down year in 2010 and the Saints will be hoping he returns to his 2009 form.

25. Seattle Seahawks – QB Colin Kaepernick, Nevada
Surprised? Me too, however based on what I’m hearing the Seahawks are prepared to make a trade for Carson Palmer and then let Kaepernick come in and learn behind him for a couple of years like Rodgers did in Green Bay.

26. Baltimore Ravens – OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin
No secret Baltimore would prefer a CB here but with the top guys all gone, I think they'll look to fill another need at OT. Carimi has the ability to come in and start from Day 1 at RT.

27. Atlanta Falcons – TE Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame
Luxury pick? Maybe, but with many of the top OT's and DE's gone Atlanta needs to look at value and Rudolph makes too much sense. He gives Matt Ryan another big target and learning behind Tony Gonzalez for a year can only mean good things.

28. New England Patriots – RB Mark Ingram, Albama
New England's second pick of the first round is another hard working blue collar kid who loves to just run the football. He'll add an element to this offense that New England hasn't had consistently in years.

29. Chicago Bears – OT Nate Solder, Colorado
Chris Williams has not quite worked out as Chicago had hoped so they land the final of the top tier OT's in Nate Solder. Solder a converted TE is still learning how to play LT but he his strength and athleticism are off the charts.

30. New York Jets -OG Danny Watkins, Baylor
Like the Chiefs I feel like the Jets would ideally like to go NT here but neither Phil Taylor or Kenrick Ellis represent the right value on my board. Watkins however is a versatile player who should start inside at OG but has potential to slide outside to RT in a year or two. Slight concern since he's already 26 but a well developed prospect.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers – CB Brandon Harris, Miami
In the Super Bowl, Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay were able to throw all over the Steelers defense. To try and combat this, the Steelers take a late blooming Brandon Harris who has tons of potential and has just begun to tap into it.

32. Green Bay Packers – LB Martez Wilson, Illinois
Some see Tez as an ILB in the NFL but he has the athleticism and ability to play outside. Green Bay has the luxury to take a chance here on Tez who at worst is going to be a productive LB and at best will become dominant.Round 2:

Round 2:
33. New England Patriots (From Carolina) – LB Brooks Reed, Arizona
34. Buffalo Bills – LB Justin Houston, Georgia

FlyingDutchman
04-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Nice work, I agree with almost all of it. Only place i disagree a little is Cleveland but Quinn there is not completely out of the question

tampabay25690
04-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Well the top of our board looks very similar.
I would be estatic if we grabbed Dareus and then cam back with Houston....
We just improved are Defense with 2 huge picks.....

TacklingDummy
04-28-2011, 07:37 AM
It's the Bills, expect to be shocked, welcome to Buffalo AJ Green.

mysticsoto
04-28-2011, 07:39 AM
I like Justin Houston's physical attributes, but I wonder if he has the will, work ethic and mental part of the game. In my initial mocks, I used to have him at my #2 also. But then I felt like he could be a risk and switched to Kyle Rudolph who I think has the exact attitude I like from a football player!

Dr. Who
04-28-2011, 07:39 AM
Dareus and Houston would be a great first two rounds.

BuffaloBlitz83
04-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Jake Locker has shot up the draft. I am hearing he doesn't fall passed Washington or Minnesota

malvado78
04-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Jake Locker has shot up the draft. I am hearing he doesn't fall passed Washington or Minnesota

This was my main observation as well.

Mallet and Kaepernick before Locker?

tampabay25690
04-28-2011, 08:09 AM

I hear u as well...
Remember this is a mock...
Once 8:00 starts all mocks go out the door.....
U never know how every team feels about any player...

k-oneputt
04-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Newton won't have to beat out anyone, he will be the top qb the second he is drafted in Carolina. The only question is when they want to throw him into the fire. You don't draft the guy #1 and sit him on the bench.
I just got back from Arizona and I think they are taking Gabbert if he is there. That is the talk at least.
Can't see Wash taking Jordan, maybe Locker.
Houston will take a pass rusher or cb.
Mallett in rd.1 ??? Thought you said it wasn't happening ? Should be in the 1st rd. all day though.
I think Colts take Solder over Sherrod.
And the Jets take Taylor to replace Jenkins.

Jan Reimers
04-28-2011, 08:25 AM
I like Dareus and Houston a lot. I like Dareus and Ponder better.

Bills Juggernaut
04-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Hey Draftboy, in terms of what Buffalo wants to do, is Cam Jordan or Marcel Dareus the better fit?

I mean, is Cam Jordan the best 5 tech period but because the Bills will play a mixture of 3-4 and 4-3, Marcel is better because while not as good as Cam in a 3-4 DE, he can slide inside in 4-3 and create havoc? Am I makiing sense?

DraftBoy
04-28-2011, 08:31 AM
I like Justin Houston's physical attributes, but I wonder if he has the will, work ethic and mental part of the game. In my initial mocks, I used to have him at my #2 also. But then I felt like he could be a risk and switched to Kyle Rudolph who I think has the exact attitude I like from a football player!

Good question but living only 45 miles from UGA Ive seen Houston on and off the field and dont have the same concerns. Is he a film rat? Not really but he is a leader and he is eager to play. He went to UGA last year when they moved to the 3-4 and asked for information well before spring ball even started.

DraftBoy
04-28-2011, 08:31 AM

I think that's a smoke screen. Ive heard the same but Im not buying it for now.

DraftBoy
04-28-2011, 08:32 AM

I know Seattle likes Kaep above the other 2 and I think Mallett is a better fit for Jacksonville than Locker.

DraftBoy
04-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Newton won't have to beat out anyone, he will be the top qb the second he is drafted in Carolina. The only question is when they want to throw him into the fire. You don't draft the guy #1 and sit him on the bench.
I just got back from Arizona and I think they are taking Gabbert if he is there. That is the talk at least.
Can't see Wash taking Jordan, maybe Locker.
Houston will take a pass rusher or cb.
Mallett in rd.1 ??? Thought you said it wasn't happening ? Should be in the 1st rd. all day though.
I think Colts take Solder over Sherrod.
And the Jets take Taylor to replace Jenkins.

That's incorrect, we've been over this but if you think Newton is being handed the job you're wrong. The idea that you cant take a guy and sit him is also wrong, just ask Carson Palmer. Steve McNair is another good example though he did not go #1.

Gabbert's definitely in contention for Zona, just still think lots of teams like him but most dont love him.

Addressed the Locker situation.

Houston needs Quinn to fall, not a lot of other pass rushers worth that pick. They'll address CB later as they arent going to take Smith.

No I said I dont value him in Round 1. All my other mocks are based on my board, this is the only one based on accuracy for just tonight. Ive always maintained Im not nearly as concerned about being right tonight as I am about being right in 3-5 years.

Solder or Sherrod Colts could go either way, Sherrod is the smarter pick though.

Could be, but that's a horrible pick. Taylor is lazy and has a poor work ethic. His stock is built on his size and a good week at Mobile. Somebody is going to get fooled on him.

DraftBoy
04-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Hey Draftboy, in terms of what Buffalo wants to do, is Cam Jordan or Marcel Dareus the better fit?

I mean, is Cam Jordan the best 5 tech period but because the Bills will play a mixture of 3-4 and 4-3, Marcel is better because while not as good as Cam in a 3-4 DE, he can slide inside in 4-3 and create havoc? Am I makiing sense?

Cam Jordan has the most experience at the 5 tech but as for being the best, don't be sold on that. Dareus is also very experienced at the 5 tech and has shown at times to be even more disruptive and dangerous.

My top three for the Bills at 3 is;
1. Dareus
2. Jordan
3. Peterson

mysticsoto
04-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Cam Jordan has the most experience at the 5 tech but as for being the best, don't be sold on that. Dareus is also very experienced at the 5 tech and has shown at times to be even more disruptive and dangerous.

1. Dareus
2. Jordan
3. Peterson

You don't like Miller?

TedMock
04-28-2011, 08:50 AM

1. Dareus
2. Jordan
3. Peterson

I think Dareus is the most versatile of the DL as well. Latest from Shefter is that Dareus is the popular vote in Buffalo, BUT they're looking long and hard at Gabbert. He said he won't say it's happening because they really like Dareus, but he wouldn't be shocked if they took Gabbert. Nothing earth shattering here, but interesting to hear it one more time before this evening.

DraftBoy
04-28-2011, 09:54 AM
You don't like Miller?
Miller would be 5th behind Peterson.

EDS
04-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Miller would be 5th behind Peterson.

4th?

ct bills fan
04-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Dareus 3, Locker or Ponder 34 would be a great start

Lone Stranger
04-28-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm with you on the Bills' selections; I just hope the people who count feel the same way.

DraftBoy
04-28-2011, 10:30 AM
4th?

Yes I cant count.

EDS
04-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Yes I cant count.

Not sure why you would be distracted today . . .