X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soapman
    • Jan 2008

Why the hype for Dareus

Doesn't he play the same position as Kyle Williams? How does this help anymore than drafting a QB to sit behind our QB? I know he would be projected as a DE but haven't we had enough of the attempted position conversions?

• ct bills fan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Why the hype for Dareus

He can play anywhere on the line. The game I watched, he dominated from the LDE position, where he'd probably start for Buffalo.

Comment

• Philagape
      WIN NOW
      • Jul 2002

He played DE at Bama
      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by soapman
        Doesn't he play the same position as Kyle Williams? How does this help anymore than drafting a QB to sit behind our QB? I know he would be projected as a DE but haven't we had enough of the attempted position conversions?
        He played a lot of positions on the line for Bama, but was mainly a DE, IIRC. Wouldn't be a position change at all. Considering he played in a 3-4 D during college, I'd say it's one of the least amount of changes for any Buffalo pick in a long time.
        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• mysticsoto
          Too sober for this...
          • Apr 2004

He can play anywhere on the DLine and if Buffalo were to do the hybrid defense where they interchange between 3-4 and 4-3, it wouldn't affect him in the slightest.

Comment

• soapman
            • Jan 2008

Ok, didn''t know that. Appreciate the clarification.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
              Lets GO BUFFALO!!
              • Jun 2005

He is PERFECT for our defense. Can play all 4 positions on the DL and not miss a beat

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

I agree that it's not a "hole" that must be filled... But a rotational DL is a need and Dareus is probably an instant upgrade to anyone other than Williams... and he could easily end up much better than Williams very quickly.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                  • Apr 2005

Two time SEC first teamer, was the MVP of national championship game last year, can play anywhere on the line, can stop the run, and can rush the QB

We were dead last against the rush and near last in sacks last year...shouldnt be hard to figure out why we will draft him if hes there

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                    • Sep 2009

My only concern with Dareus is his size, he's already pushing 320. Needs to sustain that weight to probably keep his short area quickness, but as he ages it'll be harder to maintain.

You can always move him to NT if he beefs up, he's certainly strong enough.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                      Buffalo Bills Fan
                      • Sep 2003

Because in recent years, the likes of Grandma Moses, Mother Teresa, RuPaul, PeeWee Herman, Dora the Explorer, Gumby, etc. have run through us like the proverbial hot knife through butter.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again...
                      Last edited by stuckincincy; 04-28-2011, 12:26 PM.
                      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                        Too sober for this...
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by X-Era
                        I agree that it's not a "hole" that must be filled... But a rotational DL is a need and Dareus is probably an instant upgrade to anyone other than Williams... and he could easily end up much better than Williams very quickly.
                        I disagree. I feel it is a hole. We could not stop the run last year (even though for some reason, some teams couldn't realize this - or they'd have beaten us alot worse). Kyle was a monster last year at DT and if we can get a monster at DE also, and get decent play from our LBs, defense improves by leaps and bounds.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                          Too sober for this...
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by kingJofNYC
                          My only concern with Dareus is his size, he's already pushing 320. Needs to sustain that weight to probably keep his short area quickness, but as he ages it'll be harder to maintain.

You can always move him to NT if he beefs up, he's certainly strong enough.
                          Have you seen him move? He has a faster burst than many LBs...

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                            Have you seen him move? He has a faster burst than many LBs...
                            No question, he's quick. But will he maintain the quickness when/if he bulks up. Just saying it's hard to keep that 320 weight as he ages. Who knows, it's a small concern however.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                              Too sober for this...
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by kingJofNYC
                              No question, he's quick. But will he maintain the quickness when/if he bulks up. Just saying it's hard to keep that 320 weight as he ages. Who knows, it's a small concern however.
                              Why not? Remember Ted & Pat Williams? They still retained speed despite their size...

Comment

Working...
                              X