PDA

View Full Version : BPA is a luxury for good teams only

bf1
04-28-2011, 01:36 PM
That's my philosophy. I want to see none if it.

I want to see BPABON. Best player available based on needs.

CleveSteve
04-28-2011, 01:37 PM

If you draft BPA, eventually you will become a good team. who can then continue to draft BPA.

trapezeus
04-28-2011, 01:37 PM
i think the worst teams benefit from BPA and the best teams. the middle teams that have one or two major fixes would be hurt from this.

the bills have an entire defense that needs starters and 2 or three positions on offense that needs a starter. if you take the BPA in those 14 of 22 positions, that's a good deal.

bf1
04-28-2011, 01:38 PM
If you draft BPA, eventually you will become a good team. who can then continue to draft BPA.

Not if you have the WPA playing at other positions.

Philagape
04-28-2011, 01:38 PM
You don't draft for just the upcoming year.

You draft for the next several years.

Needs change during that time. The question isn't what are the needs now, it's what will they be in three years?

FA is to plug holes. Drafting is for long term.

OpIv37
04-28-2011, 01:40 PM

I think people are making too much out of the debate as it pertains to the Bills' current situation. The silver lining in this dark cloud is that we are so bad that there isn't much difference between BPA and BPABON.

bf1
04-28-2011, 01:41 PM
I think people are making too much out of the debate as it pertains to the Bills' current situation. The silver lining in this dark cloud is that we are so bad that there isn't much difference between BPA and BPABON.

lol, that's true.

madness
04-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Teams like the Colts and Chargers have built themselves up because of sticking to the BPA available approach. Bad teams with needs like the Cardinals draft Levi Brown over Adrian Peterson because they seem set at RB with a player like Edgarrin James while good teams like the Steelers select Mendenhall when Parker was coming off a 1300 yd season and the Colts who selected Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark when all they should have been drafting was defense, defense, defense.

“I think you face three temptations,” Polian said. “The first is that you overvalue positions, i.e. quarterback, and so you try to create someone. Secondly, and it ties together, if you have a need you tend to overvalue players at that need position. It’s just human nature. And then third, you may try to reach, which is the same as overvaluing a player, because you’re trying to hit a home run. You say, ‘Well, if we hit on this player, boy does he have upside.’ And many times the upside doesn’t pan out.

“This is where draft management comes in. You’ve got manage the process much more than you manage the board. The thought is that there is some magic that goes into managing the board on draft day. There isn’t. The real hard work is managing the process and getting the board up. Once the board is up, you should stay with it.”

"If you pass a blue[-chip] player to take a need, then you've made a mistake," Polian said.

bf1
04-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Teams like the Colts and Chargers have built themselves up because of sticking to the BPA available approach. Bad teams with needs like the Cardinals draft Levi Brown over Adrian Peterson because they seem set at RB with a player like Edgarrin James while good teams like the Steelers select Mendenhall when Parker was coming off a 1300 yd season and the Colts who selected Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark when all they should have been drafting was defense, defense, defense.

I'd take whatever Polian says as law, but what if he just says that so other teams f themselved.

I'm not suggesting reaching up 10 spots for someone, like with Whitner. But if you got a guy 2-3 spots down and the position is more of a need, I say you go with the need.

mysticsoto
04-28-2011, 03:12 PM
No offense to Polian, but without Peyton, what do they really have? Freeney has tumbled quite a bit and Sanders is great but too often injured. Without Peyton, they're really not that good...

madness
04-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Mike Tannenbaum's run with the Jets is just another example.

He traded up to get David Harris in the second round in 2007 even though the team seemed to be set at inside linebacker with Jonathan Vilma and Eric Barton.
He traded up to get Dustin Keller in the first round in 2008 even though the team seemed to be set at tight end with Chris Baker and Bubba Franks.

He traded up to get Shonn Greene in the third round in 2009 even though the team seemed to be set at running back with Thomas Jones and Leon Washington.

None of the incumbents then are even with the team now. The three guys selected have established themselves as excellent players. Needs vary from year to year. Guys who are not at the top of their games find peaks and valleys. The ability to add elite talent at a position prevents that spot from becoming a need in future years. Inside linebacker, tight end, and running back might all well be needs today had Tannenbaum not invested in top notch talent. Now they seem set for a while.

OpIv37
04-28-2011, 06:50 PM
You don't draft for just the upcoming year.

You draft for the next several years.

Needs change during that time. The question isn't what are the needs now, it's what will they be in three years?

FA is to plug holes. Drafting is for long term.
except that Ralph rarely spends in FA, and when he does he whiffs. we need the draft for both holes and the future.

YardRat
04-28-2011, 06:51 PM
We need everything, so it's pretty much win-win.