PDA

View Full Version : It was refreshing watching other teams reach instead of the Bills.

Forward_Lateral
04-29-2011, 06:01 AM
What a relief it was when the Bills took the clear cut best player for their needs, and no brainer pick in Dareus. It was also fun to see other teams make reach picks instead of watching the Bills do it.

WTF is Minnesota thinking? And Tennessee? Locker before Gabbert?

Anyways, good to see Buddy didn't screw up a very hard to screw up pick.

better days
04-29-2011, 06:39 AM
What a relief it was when the Bills took the clear cut best player for their needs, and no brainer pick in Dareus. It was also fun to see other teams make reach picks instead of watching the Bills do it.

WTF is Minnesota thinking? And Tennessee? Locker before Gabbert?

Anyways, good to see Buddy didn't screw up a very hard to screw up pick.

Some people have called the Bills #3 an easy pick, well I think it could have easily been a screwed up pick & most likely would have been in the past.

I agree, it is nice to have a good GM in charge making the right decisions.

Historian
04-29-2011, 06:41 AM
I think Atlanta is dreaming if they think they're one WR away from the Lombardi.

And to give up what they did?

:puh:

Thurmal
04-29-2011, 07:30 AM
I think Atlanta is dreaming if they think they're one WR away from the Lombardi.

It was unreal. They gave up two 1sts, 2 4ths, and a 2nd for the second best receiver in the draft. I'm not sure any other team would make that trade for any receiver playing in the NFL right NOW.

Pinkerton Security
04-29-2011, 07:32 AM
It was unreal. They gave up two 1sts, 2 4ths, and a 2nd for the second best receiver in the draft. I'm not sure any other team would make that trade for any receiver playing in the NFL right NOW.

Jones is very good IMO but not NEARLY worth what they gave up. I was flabbergasted.

bosshogg21
04-29-2011, 07:36 AM
I think locker will have a much better career than gabbert when it's all said and done. IMHO.

streetkings01
04-29-2011, 07:40 AM
Who's to say those teams reached? How do you know 32 other teams didn't have Locker and Ponder rated just as high as the Titans and Vikes? None of us have seen any draft boards from any NFL teams so we have no idea where these players were actually ranked. Just because Mayock, Kiper, McShay etc. had these players ranked where they had them ranked doesn't mean all the other NFL teams agree!

SquishDaFish
04-29-2011, 07:41 AM
I think locker will have a much better career than gabbert when it's all said and done. IMHO.

I disagree if one QB drafted in the 1st rd is going to have a better career than Gabbert its going to be Ponder IMO

The King
04-29-2011, 07:43 AM

For a defensive minded head coach this move baffles the crap out of me.

Night Train
04-29-2011, 07:44 AM
I can't believe the reaching for average QB's.

streetkings01
04-29-2011, 07:57 AM
For a defensive minded head coach this move baffles the crap out of me.I think they believe their defense is good enough to win it all.........they just need that stud opposite White. If Jones does pan out then the Falcons will have a very potent offense.

stuckincincy
04-29-2011, 08:01 AM

I dunno...since the players safely have that judge in their pocket, maybe they want to go out with a bang before the whole thing becomes like the have/have not world of MLB.

The King
04-29-2011, 08:11 AM
I think they believe their defense is good enough to win it all.........they just need that stud opposite White. If Jones does pan out then the Falcons will have a very potent offense.

They already do.

psubills62
04-29-2011, 08:38 AM
It amuses me that so many people on BZ are saying "Well, it was the obvious pick to make, so let's not get too excited, I'd like to see how they do in the next rounds."

Seriously? Do people remember the last several years? I have no problem celebrating an obvious pick. Buffalo had proved time and again that they refused to make the obvious pick. Finally, finally, FINALLY, they did it.

And no, I don't think that means I've compromised my standards. Once they prove they can take the obvious pick, now I expect to see a lot more out of the drafts.

Also, I'm a little shocked at how many people dislike the trade for the Falcons. Do people realize how little the Falcons actually gave up? A late first rounder, a late second rounder and a late fourth rounder in addition to what should definitely be a late first and fourth rounder next year. If you look at the DVC, I don't think even all that adds up to what is necessary (remember, future picks are worth significantly less than current picks of same position). Atlanta made a trade to give them a dominant offense. I loved that trade on both sides.

The King
04-29-2011, 09:07 AM
I think the ATL trade is awful... they couldve made the same type of move for a guy like Baldwin 20 picks later.

CleveSteve
04-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Julio Jones is a stud.

Baldwin isn't in the same area code as Jones.

I think Bills and Browns fans are overvaluing the Falcons' picks (Since we're so used to picking high.) They picked 27 this year and aren't losing anyone significant. Their pick will probably be in the bottom 5 again next year.

Of course, they are 1 Matt Ryan injury away from a huge loss.

trapezeus
04-29-2011, 09:12 AM
i'd like to see an "AMEN!" button added so i can thank the original post.

as for the atlanta trade...i'm surprised by their move, but they've had very average WR's for the last couple years. they probably are one or two pieces away from being a championship team. it's a bold move. and frankly, if the bills were there and we all knew we needed a top positional player and we were honest that "hey, this team isn't going to stay together forever, let's make 2011 the year of the bills and get the piece we need and sacrifice some players in the future" I'd be all for it.

psubills62
04-29-2011, 09:17 AM
I think the ATL trade is awful... they couldve made the same type of move for a guy like Baldwin 20 picks later.
Jones is a lot better than Baldwin. I know what you're saying, but getting an elite guy like they did really sets them up well.

The King
04-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Julio Jones is a stud.

Baldwin isn't in the same area code as Jones.

It's Roddy Whites team... IMO opinion they dont need another Roddy White they need a guy who can keep double teams off him and Baldwin can do that.

trapezeus
04-29-2011, 09:20 AM
whatever, atlanta is saying, "win now". it's a huge gamble, but with the team they have, in the division they are in. It's totally worth just going all out. playing it safe probably keeps them from getting over the hurdle.

jills
04-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Some people have called the Bills #3 an easy pick, well I think it could have easily been a screwed up pick & most likely would have been in the past.

I agree, it is nice to have a good GM in charge making the right decisions.

My grandmother could have made that pick, and she's dead

Historian
04-29-2011, 10:07 AM

...they could have signed TO for free!

:snicker:

better days
04-29-2011, 10:11 AM
It amuses me that so many people on BZ are saying "Well, it was the obvious pick to make, so let's not get too excited, I'd like to see how they do in the next rounds."

Seriously? Do people remember the last several years? I have no problem celebrating an obvious pick. Buffalo had proved time and again that they refused to make the obvious pick. Finally, finally, FINALLY, they did it.

And no, I don't think that means I've compromised my standards. Once they prove they can take the obvious pick, now I expect to see a lot more out of the drafts.

Also, I'm a little shocked at how many people dislike the trade for the Falcons. Do people realize how little the Falcons actually gave up? A late first rounder, a late second rounder and a late fourth rounder in addition to what should definitely be a late first and fourth rounder next year. If you look at the DVC, I don't think even all that adds up to what is necessary (remember, future picks are worth significantly less than current picks of same position). Atlanta made a trade to give them a dominant offense. I loved that trade on both sides.

I agree with everything except the Atlanta trade. I think that was a lot to give up for a WR. The Falcons could easily finish 3rd in the division behind the Saints & Bucs next year which would make their picks next year higher than this year.

better days
04-29-2011, 10:14 AM
My grandmother could have made that pick, and she's dead

Well, why didn't the Bills have her make the picks prior to Nix becoming GM, she would have done a better job than was done in the past without a doubt.

psubills62
04-29-2011, 10:19 AM
I agree with everything except the Atlanta trade. I think that was a lot to give up for a WR. The Falcons could easily finish 3rd in the division behind the Saints & Bucs next year which would make their picks next year higher than this year.
They've got a ton of talent. While the Bucs look promising, I don't see them overtaking Atlanta this year - just a few too many holes. New Orleans will definitely be a contender - and I will be rooting very hard for the Saints this year to keep the Pats from having a good first rounder in 2012.

I think Atlanta and New Orleans will be duking it out for first place.

better days
04-29-2011, 10:26 AM
They've got a ton of talent. While the Bucs look promising, I don't see them overtaking Atlanta this year - just a few too many holes. New Orleans will definitely be a contender - and I will be rooting very hard for the Saints this year to keep the Pats from having a good first rounder in 2012.

I think Atlanta and New Orleans will be duking it out for first place.

The Bucs were in both games they played the Falcons last year & could have won both of them. You never know what will happen year to year in the NFC South. It is that type of division unlike the AFC East.

jills
04-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Well, why didn't the Bills have her make the picks prior to Nix becoming GM, she would have done a better job than was done in the past without a doubt.

Of course

streetkings01
04-29-2011, 01:01 PM
I think the ATL trade is awful... they couldve made the same type of move for a guy like Baldwin 20 picks later.You do know some teams had Jones rated higher than Green right?