PDA

View Full Version : Bowers

Mr. Miyagi
04-29-2011, 08:18 AM
I want him at 34. If his knees hold up, we'll have 2 top 5 picks.

The King
04-29-2011, 08:38 AM
While its really sexy to think that... we need sure things. Bowers has a ton of upside if healthy... **** upside... we need a guy who can bring it every sunday.

k-oneputt
04-29-2011, 08:40 AM
And how do you know he won't be able to ?

Mr. Miyagi
04-29-2011, 08:46 AM
I thought our doctors cleared him.

Imagine that. He returns to even 90% of form. Our D would suddenly be stouter than hell.

The King
04-29-2011, 08:50 AM
Its too risky for my liking.

The last buffalo fan
04-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Its too risky for my liking.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/customavatars/avatar3692_49.gif (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=3692)

**** the risk!

Sportsuser101
04-29-2011, 10:32 AM
I agree. I like Bowers. If Sherrod was still there I would have taken him. With Sherrod being taken and Bowers still there I think the Bills should take him.

hammerbillsfan
04-29-2011, 10:36 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/customavatars/avatar3692_49.gif (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=3692)

**** the risk!

thanks andrew ference

The King
04-29-2011, 10:37 AM
I wouldnt hate it... but I would like to see something safer

Lone Stranger
04-29-2011, 10:57 AM
If it takes 2-3 months for rehab then he's worth it. Previously as high as #1 in the draft. #6 in the Sporting News draft guide.

wmoz11
04-29-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm having an argument with a Stillers fan about Bowers. He says that he's a perfect 4-3 DT. Am I crazy in thinking that's absolutely asinine?

I think he's a prototypical 4-3 DE with the ability to rush from the OLB in a 3-4 and possibly play the 5-technique.

ddaryl
04-29-2011, 11:00 AM
If it takes 2-3 months for rehab then he's worth it. Previously as high as #1 in the draft. #6 in the Sporting News draft guide.

His condition is not rehab-able if it's bone on bone

there is nothing that can be done for bone on bone... It's just a matter of time before the knee will have to be replaced...

might be able to get a few years out of him, but he will pay a huge price for th9ose few years IMO

The King
04-29-2011, 11:00 AM

Its not about rehab... its about shelf life. This guy is one injury away from being a broadcaster, and with no injuries he'll be fortunate to play 5+ years.

k-oneputt
04-29-2011, 11:01 AM
you're not crazy and Steeler fan is asinine

k-oneputt
04-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Everybody is one injury away in that league. Sometimes you have to walk to the edge of the cliff. See Thurman Thomas.

SquishDaFish
04-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Bowers is NO DT. Def DE possible OLB

psubills62
04-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Everybody is one injury away in that league. Sometimes you have to walk to the edge of the cliff. See Thurman Thomas.
Except Bowers may already have had his injury/condition.

psubills62
04-29-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm having an argument with a Stillers fan Well, that's your first mistake.

k-oneputt
04-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Except Bowers may already have had his injury/condition.

So did Thurman.
There are no guarantees, but at this point imo they should take the chance that his knee will hold up.

wmoz11
04-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Well, that's your first mistake.

I have enough with fellow idiot Pens fans. Imagine the ones I have with fans of a team I absolutely hate?

psubills62
04-29-2011, 11:11 AM
So did Thurman.
There are no guarantees, but at this point imo they should take the chance that his knee will hold up.
Thurman has nothing to do with Bowers. One guy did it - great. Doesn't mean anything with reference to Bowers.

This team can't take that chance. They need a safe guy that is much more likely to be around for years. Not to mention the whole one-year wonder thing in addition to the fact that he really doesn't fit their defense as it is.

k-oneputt
04-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Same principle.
Injured player who should of been drafted higher that fell to the 2nd rd. due to a knee injury. Polian takes a chance and we all know how that worked out.

psubills62
04-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Same principle.
Injured player who should of been drafted higher that fell to the 2nd rd. due to a knee injury. Polian takes a chance and we all know how that worked out.
Principle does not apply when it's two completely different players in two completely different eras.

Historian
04-29-2011, 11:23 AM
At his age, he doesn't even need cartilage.

That's for us Sr Citizens.

The King
04-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Im adding a poll to this....

Mike
04-29-2011, 11:45 AM
No matter what team you are and who you pick, the pick can -most likely will- be a bust and there is always a chance of career ending injury.

If the Bills have cleared Bowers medically, they they have to select Bowers, its that simple. Worst case scenario, Bowers drops to mid 2nd early 3rd and someone like Detroit gets the steal of the draft. I think Bowers will be good, I don't see him being a bust, that being said, he may have a short NFL career. In the end, no matter who you are taking, you are taking a chance.

DrGraves
04-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Bowers has to be the best player available on the Bills draft board. Take him. Our defense has sucked for a long time. Here's the opportunity to start changing all of that in two picks.

HAMMER
04-29-2011, 12:08 PM
I would take the chance with Bowers, the upside is worth it. Kelvin Sheppard in the 3rd and we have a defense.

FlyingDutchman
04-29-2011, 12:26 PM
anyone know if Bills scouts have said anything about Bowers before the draft?

k-oneputt
04-29-2011, 02:22 PM

The less the Bills scouts are involved the better.

We all wanted Dareus and most of us will take Bowers.

X-Era
04-29-2011, 02:24 PM

Its not about rehab... its about shelf life. This guy is one injury away from being a broadcaster, and with no injuries he'll be fortunate to play 5+ years.

If his career is only 4 years long, that's the length of this contract... and with our rate of attrition...

If he can play all 4 years, he's worth it. Everything after that is the next contract, we can re-evaluate it at that time.

k-oneputt
04-29-2011, 02:26 PM
And he may last ten years or two years

X-Era
04-29-2011, 02:27 PM
And he may last ten years or two yearsHence we I said only if he can play all 4 years.

This is all about what our Doc's say and how much we trust them.

PromoTheRobot
04-29-2011, 02:27 PM

What do we have if his knee is shot?

PTR

X-Era
04-29-2011, 02:28 PM
What do we have if his knee is shot?

PTRRight now? If our doctors say there shot, we don't draft him.

PromoTheRobot
04-29-2011, 02:29 PM

If all Bowers needed was rehab he would have been drafted by someone. What he has is early onset arthritis where his knee joint is slowly disintegrating. That means he isn't going to get better ever. Still want him?

PTR

PromoTheRobot
04-29-2011, 02:31 PM
True gamblers mentality...I'll never bust...until you do.

PTR

mysticsoto
04-29-2011, 02:33 PM

I don't know about the scouts, but Gailey seemed very high on him...

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Top-Prospect-Profile-DaQuan-Bowers/bc2fa4e7-988d-465b-bf62-d1908e7dacf3

k-oneputt
04-29-2011, 02:37 PM
True gamblers mentality...I'll never bust...until you do.

PTR

And will never win big because you're afraid to take a chance.

Polian took a chance on Thurman. Win some and lose some.

X-Era
04-29-2011, 02:42 PM
His agent said it's fine... yes, it is his agent:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6340926

X-Era
04-29-2011, 02:51 PM
There are some thoughts that he may not fit on 3-4 defense.

Gailey on Bowers: "Were not going to pass up a really good football player just because he doesn't fit perfectly. We'll adjust to get good football players on our team".

http://prod.www.bills.clubs.nfl.com/media-lounge/videos/Top-Prospect-Profile-DaQuan-Bowers/bc2fa4e7-988d-465b-bf62-d1908e7dacf3

X-Era
04-29-2011, 02:53 PM
On Bowers visit to OBD:

http://prod.www.bills.clubs.nfl.com/news/article-1/DEs-Bowers-and-Watt-at-One-Bills-Drive/8d169ad4-b6f4-46ca-8106-a71611ffe21b

psubills62
04-29-2011, 02:54 PM

Gailey on Bowers: "Were not going to pass up a really good football player just because he doesn't fit perfectly. We'll adjust to get good football players on our team".

http://prod.www.bills.clubs.nfl.com/media-lounge/videos/Top-Prospect-Profile-DaQuan-Bowers/bc2fa4e7-988d-465b-bf62-d1908e7dacf3
We'll see with this. Actions speak louder than words to me, and so far every defensive prospect they've drafted has been tailor-made for a 3-4.

mysticsoto
04-29-2011, 02:58 PM

Switch personnel? The Giants draft DTs/DEs in the 1st or 2nd every year. And b'cse of it, they always have a good D...

3-4

DE: Dareus - Kyle - Dwan Edwards
OLB: Merriman - Batten - Poz - Kelsay

4-3

Kelsay - Dareus - Kyle - Bowers
OLB: Merriman - Poz - Torbor (?)

X-Era
04-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Switch personnel? The Giants draft DTs/DEs in the 1st or 2nd every year. And b'cse of it, they always have a good D...

3-4

DE: Dareus - Kyle - Dwan Edwards
OLB: Merriman - Batten - Poz - Kelsay

4-3

Kelsay - Dareus - Kyle - Bowers
OLB: Merriman - Poz - Torbor (?)In the 3-4:

The guy is over 6' 3" and weighs 280... He's surprisingly stout against the run... put him on the end with Edwards (who's 6' 3" 290). I think this is an over-blown issue to be honest.

I see:

Marcell Dareus- Kyle Williams- Da'Quan Bowers (if healthy)
Dwan Edwards- Torell Troup- Alex Carrington

It's rotational and it's potentially deep.

stuckincincy
04-29-2011, 03:14 PM
In the 3-4:

The guy is over 6' 3" and weighs 280... He's surprisingly stout against the run... put him on the end with Edwards (who's 6' 3" 290). I think this is an over-blown issue to be honest.

I see:

So - Williams is the NT?

X-Era
04-29-2011, 03:16 PM
So - Williams is the NT?Or Troup, or even Dareus... it's a bit flexible.

Don't Panic
04-29-2011, 03:17 PM

Never saw it that way until you said it... but know it feels like freshman year of high school all over again. Did he fell asleep on draft night? Where are my zumbas? All of a sudden I'm getting nostalgic and thinking the Bowers pick may make sense. Good thing I'm not calling the shots!

Don't Panic
04-29-2011, 03:19 PM
In the 3-4:

I see:

Its deeper than the girls on Chippewa. If he checked out and they pull the trigger... watch out. That could be the best 6 man rotation in the NFL at D Line.

X-Era
04-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Its deeper than the girls on Chippewa. If he checked out and they pull the trigger... watch out. That could be the best 6 man rotation in the NFL at D Line.And in a draft that's weak in ILB's... I'd have no issue... It's all about that knee.

We could get a solid ILB prospect in round 3.

mysticsoto
04-29-2011, 03:24 PM
In the 3-4:

I see:

I'd be fine with that - that'd be a killer DLine. What about when we do 4-3 alignments ? Or are you suggesting to kill that ?

X-Era
04-29-2011, 03:27 PM
I'd be fine with that - that'd be a killer DLine. What about when we do 4-3 alignments ? Or are you suggesting to kill that ?No. Bowers works there too.

If the knee is going to be fine, we get a top 5 or 10 player at 34. Before the knee injury, we get one of my favorite players in this draft.

mysticsoto
04-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Scratch that. If Bowers is likely to need more surgery - he's out!

Per rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen both confirm that Da'Quan Bowers' slide out of round one was due to the fact that last year's NCAA sacks leader will likely need more knee surgery.

"He's still got looseness in his MCL, and his PCL," reported Schefter. "Teams think he'll need (more) surgery." On Thursday, FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reported that Bowers has a "bone-on-bone" condition in his already surgically repaired knee, which sounds to us like microfracture is a definite possibility in the near future. Don't be surprised if Bowers continues to plummet today.

Let's go Reed or Houston!!!

X-Era
04-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Scratch that. If Bowers is likely to need more surgery - he's out!

Per rotoworld:

Let's go Reed or Houston!!!This has been the same thing were hearing since before the Bills brought him in.

This isn't a new opinion... the question is whether this is everyone's opinion... That's why I said it's based on what the Bills doctors think.

mysticsoto
04-29-2011, 03:35 PM
This has been the same thing were hearing since before the Bills brought him in.

This isn't a new opinion... the question is whether this is everyone's opinion... That's why I said it's based on what the Bills doctors think.

The NFL is rough. We can't have someone with a glass knee playing. I thought he was better off now after the surgery, but it sounds like his knee is still on real shaky grounds...

X-Era
04-29-2011, 03:37 PM
The NFL is rough. We can't have someone with a glass knee playing. I thought he was better off now after the surgery, but it sounds like his knee is still on real shaky grounds...All I'm saying is that this report is not new. And, I'm not convinced all teams agree. And it's the Bills opinion that matters... and the report was that they cleared him.

mysticsoto
04-29-2011, 03:40 PM
All I'm saying is that this report is not new. And, I'm not convinced all teams agree. And it's the Bills opinion that matters... and the report was that they cleared him.

I'll agree with that. I just don't want to get him and then have him on IR the 1st week in TC. Seems like that always seems to happen to us.

X-Era
04-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Did you see this?

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/04/29/feeling-for-bowers/

Dareus says "I hope I get to meet him on down the road a little bit.”

CB says:
"With the Bills on the clock near the top of round two it could be sooner than Dareus realizes"

mysticsoto
04-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Sweet. I hope the doctors got a good look at him and are really certain of their diagnosis!

mysticsoto
04-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Browns appear to be showing interest:

Per rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter predicts that Da'Quan Bowers will be drafted by the 37th overall pick Friday, at the latest.

Schefter already reported that Bowers' knee condition caused his day-one slide, but it sounds like the Browns are willing to take that risk. "I can't see him getting past Cleveland's turn (at 37)," Schefter said on SportsCenter. The Browns are dangerously short on pass rushers. They may roll the dice on Bowers, and hope he can be a contributor for 2-3 years before microfracture.

X-Era
04-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Sweet. I hope the doctors got a good look at him and are really certain of their diagnosis!The same doctors that saved Everett from permanent paralysis? I tend to trust them.

X-Era
04-29-2011, 03:50 PM
BTW, microfracture surgery (if even needed) would mean 4 months (best case) with a 75 to 80% success rate. It's April and that would mean he's theoretically back at the start of Sept. And that's if you need it, and if you do it right away... maybe possible to wait until next Jan... then he plays all this year and all next year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfracture_surgery

The last buffalo fan
04-29-2011, 04:31 PM
BTW, microfracture surgery (if even needed) would mean 4 months (best case) with a 75 to 80% success rate. It's April and that would mean he's theoretically back at the start of Sept. And that's if you need it, and if you do it right away... maybe possible to wait until next Jan... then he plays all this year and all next year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfracture_surgery

It is a shame that you do not belong to the crappy bills FO. :up:

Philagape
04-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Principle does not apply when it's two completely different players in two completely different eras.

With two completely different injuries