PDA

View Full Version : Analysis of our top choices for Rd 2

mysticsoto
04-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Possible but Unlikely Choices: Several QBs are available in Ryan Mallet, Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick. They all have their pros and cons.

QB Ryan Mallet has a superb ball throw, but can be very Bledsoe-like in terms of reaction when he's pressured. He also has questionable leadership skills and some off the field issues. If he were to get picked, Buffalo will be required to work on the OLine for a good portion of the rest of the draft. Mallet is a prototypical pocket passer that needs time or he crumbles to pieces. But he could definitely excel and become a franchise QB with a strong OL.

QB Andy Dalton is athletic, mobile and smart, but needs work on delivery and may need to learn the pro system more.

QB Colin Kaepernick is big and strong but has to adjust to working from under center and on mechanics as well as his taking flight at the 1st sign of pressure.

Initially, I thought the Bills might target a QB in Rd 2, but after hearing Gailey and Nix's post inteview on Dareus, I'm thinking they won't. When asked about drafting a QB next, this was Nix's response: "It’d be in the mix, yea. But again, I think we’ve got several needs. We don’t have as many as everybody thinks but we’ve got several. And the best player to fill one of those needs is who we’ll take." Add to this the response he gave when asked about the 2nd rd pick: "The 34<sup>th</sup> pick to me is like a first-round pick. You’re talking one or two guys, so we’re excited about being with that 34<sup>th</sup> pick. We think we can get another starter."

If he holds true to what he said, then Nix will want to get a starter from our high 2nd rd pick that is almost a 1st rd pick. That would mean not taking 2nd tier QBs which the above 3 represent. As such, I list who I think are the top 3 choices below.

Top 3:

DE/OLB Brooks Reed is an intriguing player with a great skillset, but they paid Kelsay $20 million for 4 yrs (most of it backloaded though) - are they really going to draft someone who's going to then take time away from Kelsay? Reed is versatile and could play both in a 4-3/3-4 hybrid scheme.

TE Kyle Rudolph would be great, but for some reason, Gailey doesn't seem to be too into TEs...which is too bad b'cse he could be a potential weapon for Fitz. He would present match up problems as he's too fast for LBs to keep up with him and at over 6'6" with long hands, too tall for CBs and S to contest his catches. He's also a very decent blocker which is a rarity with some TEs today. I think this is our best pick, but I'm not feeling they are going to go this way.

DE Da'Quan Bowers...if we draft this guy, we automatically become the Giants of the AFC East with a freaking superb DLine! The more I think about this, the more I can see them doing this. Why? If you look at what Dwan Edwards has done for us, and even previously, it's really nothing home to talk about. He is an average player. He is stout in stopping the run, but really doesn't do much in terms of creating pressure - which Bowers would most assuredly do. The only problem is how long Bowers might last in the NFL. Having bone on bone grinding on his knee is likely to take its toll sooner rather than later and if the Bills are thinking more long term, he may not fit into the picture. The other problem is that last year Edwards was given a 4 yr $18 million contract. But getting a top pressurer/sack artist in rd 2 who will likely have a chip on his shoulder would probably set fire to the Bills pass rushing right from the start!!!

Summary: Outside of getting a QB (which is a completely different animal), these 3 are the best candidates for us right now. Both Reed & Bowers are good choices for us, but represent a problem with money. Do the Bills care more about being dominant than money? This becomes the question now...

FlyingDutchman
04-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Im thinking our targets are Kaepernick, Reed and Ayers....Id be happy with either of them

psubills62
04-29-2011, 08:43 AM
I think Brooks Reed is their target. IIRC, they coached him at the Senior Bowl, and I have a feeling that will tip the scales in his favor. We all know how many LB's they've looked at (had interviews with, too). I think they interviewed Houston, so he's a possibility as well. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo was one team that bumped him down thanks to the positive marijuana test at the combine.

A sleeper that a lot of people wouldn't like is Leonard Hankerson. Another guy they coached at the Senior Bowl who showed well. I don't expect him to be the pick, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's high on their board.

stuckincincy
04-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Possible but Unlikely Choices: Several QBs are available in Ryan Mallet, Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick. They all have their pros and cons.

Summary: Outside of getting a QB (which is a completely different animal), these 3 are the best candidates for us right now. Both Reed & Bowers are good choices for us, but represent a problem with money. Do the Bills care more about being dominant than money? This becomes the question now...

Thanks for the time spent on the analysis. I'd be surprised if they went for a qb here. I really don't like Mallet - pocket "presence" means a lot to me.

PromoTheRobot
04-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Honestly, you think 31 other teams don't know Bowers was a beast? His knee must be a disaster for him to fall this far.

PTR

The last buffalo fan
04-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Honestly, you think 31 other teams don't know Bowers was a beast? His knee must be a disaster for him to fall this far.

PTR

And I would love to take the risk! :pray:

mysticsoto
04-29-2011, 10:27 AM

PTR

Sure everyone knows, which is why he has fallen. The question is, do you believe he can still be dominating or even productive for 1-2 yrs (max more than likely) and do you take that risk given what he can and has shown to do.

Remember that a big deal here is money. You don't want to pay a guy 1st round money if he will only be able to produce 1-2 yrs (if even that). However, for 2nd rd money, it might be good enough for some to take a risk on him - given what he's capable of doing in the short term.

alohabillsfan
04-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the time spent on the analysis. I'd be surprised if they went for a qb here. I really don't like Mallet - pocket "presence" means a lot to me.

IMO Mallett has the best pocket presence of any QB in this years draft.

mysticsoto
04-29-2011, 10:35 AM
We might not need to consider Dalton:

From rotoworld:

The Bengals reportedly tried and failed to trade into the Packers' 32nd spot Thursday night.

Cincinnati was presumably chasing TCU QB Andy Dalton, but they couldn't agree on fair compensation. At this point, the entire league knows they have Dalton in their sights at No. 35 overall. It's a safe bet they're already talking with the Patriots about moving up three spots to ensure their quarterback of the future.

Jan Reimers
04-29-2011, 10:37 AM
I think we take Justin Houston, a big OLB, at 34.

EDS
04-29-2011, 10:39 AM
I think linebacker is the likely pick, and makes the most sense, so one of Houston, Reed, Ayers or Wilson. Houston and Reed would provide the most pass rush with Ayers and Wilson being more well rounded and possibly offering some help in pass coverage. Wilson also can play inside, which is a huge need.

superbills
04-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Umm..to nitpick on Rotoworld a bit, they have to move up 2 spots, not 3. :D

psubills62
04-29-2011, 10:40 AM
I don't think the Bills are interested in Dalton or Mallett.

alohabillsfan
04-29-2011, 10:46 AM
My order of preference (at this very minute) subject to change and most likely will!

Bowers
Mallett
Reed
Houston
Ayres
Sheard

Don't Panic
04-29-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm thinking Ayers, Wilson, or possibly Reed. We could really use a beast MLB, so if they see Wilson as that person then that may make the most sense. I would love it to be Bowers but I don't see them taking that gamble. QB is out... Nix and Gailey's comments were very telling. Maybe in the 3rd or 4th... Stanzi in the 4th would be great.

I could see this pick being very valuable and the Bills getting HQ offers for it. Don't rule out a trade.... maybe even a 1st next year for it.

Sportsuser101
04-29-2011, 10:51 AM

I think hes going to drop to the 3rd or even 4th round.

mysticsoto
04-29-2011, 10:52 AM

Justin Houston would be a great pick also!

stuckincincy
04-29-2011, 10:54 AM
I don't think the Bills are interested in Dalton or Mallett.

I wouldn't think so, too.

Mahdi
04-29-2011, 10:55 AM
I think our pick will be one of these 3:

Brooks Reed
Akeem Ayers
Ras-I Dowling

Here is my reasoning.....

In the draft luncheon Nix mentioned that Danny Batten is being moved inside to ILB so that pretty much leaves us without a true LOLB, the guy that plays over the TE often and has to do a lot of the dirty work and at the same time provide a pass rush.

Second the Bills know they need to upgrade their pass rush and Merriman is step one on the right side with Moats as his backup. Dareus and KW give us the inside rush.

Reed is the perfect guy IMO to come in and be that LOLB that can battle a TE or OT in the run game and also give you a pass rush.

Akeem Ayers is also pretty technically gifted and has very good size and smarts.

If not an edge player then I think we will address the CB issue.

I REALLY DOUBT we will go QB because the Bills already know that Fitz is not going to be beat out by a second rounder and instead of get a kid that is going to sit and watch games you get a kid that will be an instant starter.

PTI
04-29-2011, 10:57 AM
If they really don't value one of the QBs, they could slide down 5-7 spots and still get a real good player. I don't really like trading down much but there is a lot of good players on the board still to the round 2 top 10.

ddaryl
04-29-2011, 11:02 AM
only 1 LB'er taken in the 1st rd... I'm thinking there will be a run on LB's in the 2nd

mysticsoto
04-29-2011, 11:04 AM
I rated Brooks Reed above Justin Houston in my analysis above mostly b'cse I consider him faster and love his work ethic, but I probably should have made a comment that Houston deserves consideration also. I know people think he's going to drop alot b'cse of the Marijuana thing, but I doubt he drops out of the 2nd rd...

don137
04-29-2011, 11:13 AM
We might not need to consider Dalton:

From rotoworld:
I have to think a lot of teams are in that position. If the Bills do not want a QB in round two they could trade down a few picks and pick up the guy they want and a extra pick. Arizona, San Fran and Cinci need a QB and do not pick much lower than Buffalo.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-29-2011, 11:19 AM
I would be shocked if this team drafted a QB at 34, like jaw dropping shocked if that pick is Colin Kaepernick.

trapezeus
04-29-2011, 11:23 AM
I would be shocked if this team drafted a QB at 34, like jaw dropping shocked if that pick is Colin Kaepernick.

good shock or upset shock?

alohabillsfan
04-29-2011, 11:57 AM
I really think we need a CB in round 2, Dowling maybe. We are thin and old at CB (2 CB 's are 30 and may be gone).

Look for OT in RD 3

Michael82
04-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Brooks Reed looks like Clay Matthews. Hopefully he can play like Matthews. He's the guy I want!

http://gridirongrit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Brooks-Reed-and-Clay-Matthews.jpg

baalworship
04-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Ben Ijalana is guy that could go at this point. Can play guard or kick out to right tackle.

Saratoga Slim
04-29-2011, 12:56 PM
If they really don't value one of the QBs, they could slide down 5-7 spots and still get a real good player. I don't really like trading down much but there is a lot of good players on the board still to the round 2 top 10.

If someone other than Cincy covets Dalton (Washington?) they might be interested in a trade to get ahead of Cincy.

X-Era
04-29-2011, 01:06 PM

QB Ryan Mallet has a superb ball throw, but can be very Bledsoe-like in terms of reaction when he's pressured. He also has questionable leadership skills and some off the field issues. If he were to get picked, Buffalo will be required to work on the OLine for a good portion of the rest of the draft. Mallet is a prototypical pocket passer that needs time or he crumbles to pieces. But he could definitely excel and become a franchise QB with a strong OL.

QB Andy Dalton is athletic, mobile and smart, but needs work on delivery and may need to learn the pro system more.

QB Colin Kaepernick is big and strong but has to adjust to working from under center and on mechanics as well as his taking flight at the 1st sign of pressure.

Initially, I thought the Bills might target a QB in Rd 2, but after hearing Gailey and Nix's post inteview on Dareus, I'm thinking they won't. When asked about drafting a QB next, this was Nix's response: "It’d be in the mix, yea. But again, I think we’ve got several needs. We don’t have as many as everybody thinks but we’ve got several. And the best player to fill one of those needs is who we’ll take." Add to this the response he gave when asked about the 2nd rd pick: "The 34<sup>th</sup> pick to me is like a first-round pick. You’re talking one or two guys, so we’re excited about being with that 34<sup>th</sup> pick. We think we can get another starter."

If he holds true to what he said, then Nix will want to get a starter from our high 2nd rd pick that is almost a 1st rd pick. That would mean not taking 2nd tier QBs which the above 3 represent. As such, I list who I think are the top 3 choices below.

Top 3:

DE/OLB Brooks Reed is an intriguing player with a great skillset, but they paid Kelsay $20 million for 4 yrs (most of it backloaded though) - are they really going to draft someone who's going to then take time away from Kelsay? Reed is versatile and could play both in a 4-3/3-4 hybrid scheme.

TE Kyle Rudolph would be great, but for some reason, Gailey doesn't seem to be too into TEs...which is too bad b'cse he could be a potential weapon for Fitz. He would present match up problems as he's too fast for LBs to keep up with him and at over 6'6" with long hands, too tall for CBs and S to contest his catches. He's also a very decent blocker which is a rarity with some TEs today. I think this is our best pick, but I'm not feeling they are going to go this way.

DE Da'Quan Bowers...if we draft this guy, we automatically become the Giants of the AFC East with a freaking superb DLine! The more I think about this, the more I can see them doing this. Why? If you look at what Dwan Edwards has done for us, and even previously, it's really nothing home to talk about. He is an average player. He is stout in stopping the run, but really doesn't do much in terms of creating pressure - which Bowers would most assuredly do. The only problem is how long Bowers might last in the NFL. Having bone on bone grinding on his knee is likely to take its toll sooner rather than later and if the Bills are thinking more long term, he may not fit into the picture. The other problem is that last year Edwards was given a 4 yr $18 million contract. But getting a top pressurer/sack artist in rd 2 who will likely have a chip on his shoulder would probably set fire to the Bills pass rushing right from the start!!!

Summary: Outside of getting a QB (which is a completely different animal), these 3 are the best candidates for us right now. Both Reed & Bowers are good choices for us, but represent a problem with money. Do the Bills care more about being dominant than money? This becomes the question now...I think your board is more oriented toward value than need but certainly does look at need.

Guys like Marvin Austin, Stephen Paea, all seem a lesser need now with Dareus in the fold. And because of the Dareus selection, LB now becomes the biggest need IMO. And because of that, we may see Martez Wilson. He' fits a clear need but isn't as great a value as a 1st round guy that dropped.

mysticsoto
04-29-2011, 01:21 PM
I think your board is more oriented toward value than need but certainly does look at need.

Guys like Marvin Austin, Stephen Paea, all seem a lesser need now with Dareus in the fold. And because of the Dareus selection, LB now becomes the biggest need IMO. And because of that, we may see Martez Wilson. He' fits a clear need but isn't as great a value as a 1st round guy that dropped.

I have Reed and Houston on my LB list. Martez is ILB isn't he? I think someone mentioned here that Gailey was quoted as saying Dan Batten (who was looking really good early last yr before his injury) is taking that spot alongside Poz. I'd prefer an OLB personally here...

alohabillsfan
04-29-2011, 01:27 PM
Well based on our current roster we have
27 Corner, Reggie CB 27 3 Akron
29 Florence, Drayton CB 30 8 Tuskegee
24 McGee, Terrence CB 30 8 Northwestern State
28 McKelvin , Leodis CB 25 3 Troy
26 Youboty, Ashton CB 26 5 Ohio State

50 Ayodele, Akin LB 31 9 Purdue
57 Batten, Danny LB 23 R South Dakota State
59 Coleman, Antonio 24 R Auburn
54 Davis, Andra LB 32 9 Florida
56 Ellison, Keith LB 27 5 Oregon State
90 Kelsay, Chris LB 31 8 Nebraska
45 Kirlew, Jammie LB 23 R Indiana
58 Maybin, Aaron LB 23 2 Penn State
55 Merriman, Shawne 26 6 Maryland
52 Moats, Arthur LB 23 R James Madison
51 Posluszny, Paul 26 4 Penn State
53 Torbor, Reggie 30 7 Auburn

Yes, I included Maybin, point is we have alot of young LB n ot sure of the talent level yet but Buddy Nix has been preety good at finding them. Batten is moving inside.

mysticsoto
04-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Well based on our current roster we have
27 Corner, Reggie CB 27 3 Akron
29 Florence, Drayton CB 30 8 Tuskegee
24 McGee, Terrence CB 30 8 Northwestern State
28 McKelvin , Leodis CB 25 3 Troy
26 Youboty, Ashton CB 26 5 Ohio State

50 Ayodele, Akin LB 31 9 Purdue
57 Batten, Danny LB 23 R South Dakota State
59 Coleman, Antonio 24 R Auburn
54 Davis, Andra LB 32 9 Florida
56 Ellison, Keith LB 27 5 Oregon State
90 Kelsay, Chris LB 31 8 Nebraska
45 Kirlew, Jammie LB 23 R Indiana
58 Maybin, Aaron LB 23 2 Penn State
55 Merriman, Shawne 26 6 Maryland
52 Moats, Arthur LB 23 R James Madison
51 Posluszny, Paul 26 4 Penn State
53 Torbor, Reggie 30 7 Auburn

Yes, I included Maybin, point is we have alot of young LB n ot sure of the talent level yet but Buddy Nix has been preety good at finding them. Batten is moving inside.

With Batten moving inside, Andra and/or Ayodele could be cut. Coleman's level is up in the air, Keith Ellison should not make our next year roster, Jammie Kirlew? Never heard of him. As as for Maybin, they need to have a short leash on him. He can't be taking up a valuable roster spot like he has been. Unless he looks phenomenal in TC and in the preseason games, he needs to be cut.

That cuts down the list to 7. If Reed of Houston is there, they are an instant upgrade over Reggie Torbor and could also force a cut with Coleman or Kelsay who is now 31. Kelsay may have played well last year, but going by history, he will likely not repeat.

And I know we're expecting alot from Merriman, but there may not be much left in his tank. He hasn't produced much of anything in 3-4 yrs. We've upgraded up front, now let's add an upgrade to the middle of the field. Brooks Reed is an instant upgrade who many had as 1st rd talent being taken possibly by GB.

We do need a CB drafted at some point also though. That I agree with...

psubills62
04-29-2011, 02:58 PM
With Batten moving inside, Andra and/or Ayodele could be cut. Coleman's level is up in the air, Keith Ellison should not make our next year roster, Jammie Kirlew? Never heard of him. As as for Maybin, they need to have a short leash on him. He can't be taking up a valuable roster spot like he has been. Unless he looks phenomenal in TC and in the preseason games, he needs to be cut.

That cuts down the list to 7. If Reed of Houston is there, they are an instant upgrade over Reggie Torbor and could also force a cut with Coleman or Kelsay who is now 31. Kelsay may have played well last year, but going by history, he will likely not repeat.

And I know we're expecting alot from Merriman, but there may not be much left in his tank. He hasn't produced much of anything in 3-4 yrs. We've upgraded up front, now let's add an upgrade to the middle of the field. Brooks Reed is an instant upgrade who many had as 1st rd talent being taken possibly by GB.

We do need a CB drafted at some point also though. That I agree with...
Ayodele first. Andra wasn't that good, but it seems he has very good intangibles and could help the young LB's that we have. Agree on Coleman, not sure I see him making that much of an impact. Ellison should be gone. Kirlew is a flier (former DE from Indiana), and unless he shines in practices I doubt he ever makes the team.

We're got a lot of bodies at the LB position, but almost nobody I'd trust to be a legitimate starter over 16 games.

And yes, we do need a CB and I expect them to draft one possibly tonight. If not tonight, then definitely on Saturday.