• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mysticsoto
    Too sober for this...
    • Apr 2004

Analysis of our top choices for Rd 2

Possible but Unlikely Choices: Several QBs are available in Ryan Mallet, Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick. They all have their pros and cons.

QB Ryan Mallet has a superb ball throw, but can be very Bledsoe-like in terms of reaction when he's pressured. He also has questionable leadership skills and some off the field issues. If he were to get picked, Buffalo will be required to work on the OLine for a good portion of the rest of the draft. Mallet is a prototypical pocket passer that needs time or he crumbles to pieces. But he could definitely excel and become a franchise QB with a strong OL.

QB Andy Dalton is athletic, mobile and smart, but needs work on delivery and may need to learn the pro system more.

QB Colin Kaepernick is big and strong but has to adjust to working from under center and on mechanics as well as his taking flight at the 1st sign of pressure.

Initially, I thought the Bills might target a QB in Rd 2, but after hearing Gailey and Nix's post inteview on Dareus, I'm thinking they won't. When asked about drafting a QB next, this was Nix's response: "It’d be in the mix, yea. But again, I think we’ve got several needs. We don’t have as many as everybody thinks but we’ve got several. And the best player to fill one of those needs is who we’ll take." Add to this the response he gave when asked about the 2nd rd pick: "The 34th pick to me is like a first-round pick. You’re talking one or two guys, so we’re excited about being with that 34th pick. We think we can get another starter."

If he holds true to what he said, then Nix will want to get a starter from our high 2nd rd pick that is almost a 1st rd pick. That would mean not taking 2nd tier QBs which the above 3 represent. As such, I list who I think are the top 3 choices below.

Top 3:

DE/OLB Brooks Reed
    is an intriguing player with a great skillset, but they paid Kelsay $20 million for 4 yrs (most of it backloaded though) - are they really going to draft someone who's going to then take time away from Kelsay? Reed is versatile and could play both in a 4-3/3-4 hybrid scheme.

TE Kyle Rudolph would be great, but for some reason, Gailey doesn't seem to be too into TEs...which is too bad b'cse he could be a potential weapon for Fitz. He would present match up problems as he's too fast for LBs to keep up with him and at over 6'6" with long hands, too tall for CBs and S to contest his catches. He's also a very decent blocker which is a rarity with some TEs today. I think this is our best pick, but I'm not feeling they are going to go this way.

DE Da'Quan Bowers...if we draft this guy, we automatically become the Giants of the AFC East with a freaking superb DLine! The more I think about this, the more I can see them doing this. Why? If you look at what Dwan Edwards has done for us, and even previously, it's really nothing home to talk about. He is an average player. He is stout in stopping the run, but really doesn't do much in terms of creating pressure - which Bowers would most assuredly do. The only problem is how long Bowers might last in the NFL. Having bone on bone grinding on his knee is likely to take its toll sooner rather than later and if the Bills are thinking more long term, he may not fit into the picture. The other problem is that last year Edwards was given a 4 yr $18 million contract. But getting a top pressurer/sack artist in rd 2 who will likely have a chip on his shoulder would probably set fire to the Bills pass rushing right from the start!!!

Summary: Outside of getting a QB (which is a completely different animal), these 3 are the best candidates for us right now. Both Reed & Bowers are good choices for us, but represent a problem with money. Do the Bills care more about being dominant than money? This becomes the question now...
  • FlyingDutchman
    • Apr 2005

Re: Analysis of our top choices for Rd 2

Im thinking our targets are Kaepernick, Reed and Ayers....Id be happy with either of them

Comment

• psubills62
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2008

I think Brooks Reed is their target. IIRC, they coached him at the Senior Bowl, and I have a feeling that will tip the scales in his favor. We all know how many LB's they've looked at (had interviews with, too). I think they interviewed Houston, so he's a possibility as well. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo was one team that bumped him down thanks to the positive marijuana test at the combine.

A sleeper that a lot of people wouldn't like is Leonard Hankerson. Another guy they coached at the Senior Bowl who showed well. I don't expect him to be the pick, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's high on their board.
      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Possible but Unlikely Choices: Several QBs are available in Ryan Mallet, Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick. They all have their pros and cons.

Summary: Outside of getting a QB (which is a completely different animal), these 3 are the best candidates for us right now. Both Reed & Bowers are good choices for us, but represent a problem with money. Do the Bills care more about being dominant than money? This becomes the question now...
        Thanks for the time spent on the analysis. I'd be surprised if they went for a qb here. I really don't like Mallet - pocket "presence" means a lot to me.
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
          • Sep 2003

Honestly, you think 31 other teams don't know Bowers was a beast? His knee must be a disaster for him to fall this far.

PTR
          10 Commandments of the D
          1. Never stop Rocking.
          2. Legalize all drugs.
          3. Quit your day job.
          4. All Religion should be taxed.
          5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
          6. F**k her gently.
          7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
          8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
          9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
          10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
            I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by PromoTheRobot
            Honestly, you think 31 other teams don't know Bowers was a beast? His knee must be a disaster for him to fall this far.

PTR
            And I would love to take the risk!
            The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by PromoTheRobot

PTR
              Sure everyone knows, which is why he has fallen. The question is, do you believe he can still be dominating or even productive for 1-2 yrs (max more than likely) and do you take that risk given what he can and has shown to do.

Remember that a big deal here is money. You don't want to pay a guy 1st round money if he will only be able to produce 1-2 yrs (if even that). However, for 2nd rd money, it might be good enough for some to take a risk on him - given what he's capable of doing in the short term.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by stuckincincy
                Thanks for the time spent on the analysis. I'd be surprised if they went for a qb here. I really don't like Mallet - pocket "presence" means a lot to me.

IMO Mallett has the best pocket presence of any QB in this years draft.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                  Too sober for this...
                  • Apr 2004

We might not need to consider Dalton:

From rotoworld:

The Bengals reportedly tried and failed to trade into the Packers' 32nd spot Thursday night.

Cincinnati was presumably chasing TCU QB Andy Dalton, but they couldn't agree on fair compensation. At this point, the entire league knows they have Dalton in their sights at No. 35 overall. It's a safe bet they're already talking with the Patriots about moving up three spots to ensure their quarterback of the future.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

I think we take Justin Houston, a big OLB, at 34.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• EDS
                      • Jan 2003

I think linebacker is the likely pick, and makes the most sense, so one of Houston, Reed, Ayers or Wilson. Houston and Reed would provide the most pass rush with Ayers and Wilson being more well rounded and possibly offering some help in pass coverage. Wilson also can play inside, which is a huge need.

Comment

• superbills
                        • Mar 2003

Umm..to nitpick on Rotoworld a bit, they have to move up 2 spots, not 3.
                        "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
                        Ronald Reagan
                        40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

• psubills62
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2008

I don't think the Bills are interested in Dalton or Mallett.
                          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                            • Sep 2003

My order of preference (at this very minute) subject to change and most likely will!

Bowers
                            Mallett
                            Reed
                            Houston
                            Ayres
                            Sheard

Comment

• Don't Panic
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Dec 2005

I'm thinking Ayers, Wilson, or possibly Reed. We could really use a beast MLB, so if they see Wilson as that person then that may make the most sense. I would love it to be Bowers but I don't see them taking that gamble. QB is out... Nix and Gailey's comments were very telling. Maybe in the 3rd or 4th... Stanzi in the 4th would be great.

I could see this pick being very valuable and the Bills getting HQ offers for it. Don't rule out a trade.... maybe even a 1st next year for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X