PDA

View Full Version : So Taylor...but not Ngata?

psubills62
04-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Sorry, it's not directly related to the Bills...but why the heck does a Dick Jauron-led defense need both Ahyba Rubin (330 lbs, big run stuffer) and Phil Taylor (330+ pounds), but somehow Ngata doesn't deserve to be picked?

Anyway, I was simply baffled by that pick. Also scratched my head at Locker and Ponder. Carpenter was a surprise.

Other note: Baltimore is reportedly seeking compensation (fourth rounder last I heard) from Chicago for backing out of the deal that caused them to miss the 26th pick. NFL should rule on it relatively shortly.

ParanoidAndroid
04-29-2011, 11:09 AM
My guess is that someone else was making the picks.

k-oneputt
04-29-2011, 11:11 AM
You notice Gailey said that Dareus can fit in all schemes. Translation: He's a player.
Unlike Dickface who claimed Ngata didn't fit. What kinda idiotic bs is that ?
but I'm 100% sure that Jauron had no say whatsoever over the draft pick, and rightfully so.

Have you lit any candles today to get a Penn St. player drafted ????

alohabillsfan
04-29-2011, 11:14 AM
You notice Gailey said that Dareus can fit in all schemes. Translation: He's a player.
but I'm 100% sure that Jauron had no say whatsoever over the draft pick, and rightfully so.

Are there any?

Can we give ours back?

Mahdi
04-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Sorry, it's not directly related to the Bills...but why the heck does a Dick Jauron-led defense need both Ahyba Rubin (330 lbs, big run stuffer) and Phil Taylor (330+ pounds), but somehow Ngata doesn't deserve to be picked?

Anyway, I was simply baffled by that pick. Also scratched my head at Locker and Ponder. Carpenter was a surprise.

Other note: Baltimore is reportedly seeking compensation (fourth rounder last I heard) from Chicago for backing out of the deal that caused them to miss the 26th pick. NFL should rule on it relatively shortly.
I was waiting for this question to come up... lol

k-oneputt
04-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Are there any?

Can we give ours back?

I have two PSU linebackers they can have back for a bag of footballs.

psubills62
04-29-2011, 11:17 AM

I'm sure you're happy about the Dareus pick. And it's obvious Jauron had no say in that pick. Still frustrating to see.

Haha, nope. I expect Wisniewski to go mid-late 2nd round, but that's about it. Nobody else really worth drafting, maybe Royster late in the 6th or 7th.

But as we all (should) know, the draft doesn't necessarily reflect on a team and how they do in college. Temple is just one example, Patrick Peterson being beaten out by a future later round WR (Moye) for a TD another. Many others.

Funny how you can't seem to keep focused on whatever is at hand. And this is a topic we seem to agree on, too, with Ngata/Jauron.

Novacane
04-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Easy answer. In this draft there was not a stud safety sitting there that he simply couldn't pass on.

trapezeus
04-29-2011, 11:25 AM
jauron is also the CB coach. he isn't the DC. So his input is probably close to zero. if they are high on a CB, they probably ask him. if not, they don't need his two cents.

that's my guess.

kingJofNYC
04-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Jauron is the DC, but you're correct, he has no say in Cleveland. They actually have a capable GM.

EDS
04-29-2011, 11:43 AM
jauron is also the CB coach. he isn't the DC. So his input is probably close to zero. if they are high on a CB, they probably ask him. if not, they don't need his two cents.

that's my guess.

Though they did draft a corner in round 1 last year and a safety in round 2 . . .

trapezeus
04-29-2011, 11:45 AM
i didn't know that jauron moved to cleveland. thanks. i thought he was still on the eagles as a CB coach.

they did trade for a boat load of picks. perhaps jauron will get the 8 CB/Punt returners that all championship teams need.

Mike
04-29-2011, 12:15 PM

Your asking DJ to make sense with the picks, obviously you know that you are asking for the impossible.

baalworship
04-29-2011, 01:09 PM
The Browns, unlike the Bills, are not letting Dick Jauron make the picks. He will have to use 320 lb lineman whether he wants to or not.

If he was picking they would take a cornerback or safety. Special teams ability important also!

k-oneputt
04-29-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm sure you're happy about the Dareus pick. And it's obvious Jauron had no say in that pick. Still frustrating to see.

Haha, nope. I expect Wisniewski to go mid-late 2nd round, but that's about it. Nobody else really worth drafting, maybe Royster late in the 6th or 7th.

But as we all (should) know, the draft doesn't necessarily reflect on a team and how they do in college. Temple is just one example, Patrick Peterson being beaten out by a future later round WR (Moye) for a TD another. Many others.

Funny how you can't seem to keep focused on whatever is at hand. And this is a topic we seem to agree on, too, with Ngata/Jauron.

You're right, can't keep focused when I can bust balls on Penn St.

psubills62
04-29-2011, 02:20 PM
You're right, can't keep focused when I can bust balls on Penn St.
I know, you love talking about PSU. Great team to talk about.

CleveSteve
04-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Ngata was a lazy crap player at Oregon. I saw Stanford effectively scheme block him with a fullback. Imagine that. A FB blocking a "dominant" nose tackle.

If he had gone to the Browns, he would have stunk. If he had gone to the Bills, I think he probably would have stunk.

The only thing that got his butt in gear was having credible leaders on defense like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, and Bart Scott. You can't loaf on that D.

better days
04-29-2011, 04:14 PM
My guess is that someone else was making the picks.

Bingo. Mike Holmgren is calling the shots in Cleveland not Jauron.

CleveSteve
04-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Well, Heckert actually does the draft selection. He's pretty good. He's not afraid of drafting injured guys, though... and that kind of bit us last year.