PDA

View Full Version : I've changed my mind on Bowers

Mad Max
04-29-2011, 12:47 PM
As much as I covet pass rush, I just don't think we can afford to take the risk on Bowers.

You don't drop from potential #1 overall to the second round without serious issues of one sort or the other. Locker for example with all his warts went at 8?! Teams have to have a very compelling reason to go against drafting QB or DE talent.

I think teams are trying to sandbag one another trying to get someone to draft him too high by saying "nono, his knee's fine, it won't require further surgery".

I found this article which mentions the 'M" word, Microfracture surgery. This surgery although used often among top athletes takes quite a while to recover from, and it just seems very hit or miss as far as the level of recovery.

http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2011/apr/27/daquan-bowers-knee-issues-could-send-nfl-draft-sto/

For those unfamiliar with it, it's a cartilage repair surgery that involves drilling small holes into the bone in the area of the damaged cartilage. Yikes.

We've had far more than our share of rehabbing guys immediately after we draft them. I don't want us doing that anymore. I want to plug and chug, I want guys that are ready from day one (our next Franchise QB notwithstanding).

So let's hope we go with a healthy guy.

Mike
04-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Hes very high risk high reward
Any player is a risk though, a risk for being a bust and a risk for injury

Mad Max
04-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Hes very high risk high reward
Any player is a risk though, a risk for being a bust and a risk for injury

I know.

In my estimation and armchair calculations the risk is just too high to justify the potential reward for a team in our situation (sub-mediocrity for 10+ years).

We've swung for the fences too often and always ended up striking out. We can't strike out anymore.

elltrain22
04-29-2011, 01:06 PM
There are risks with all these guys. Doctors and modern medicine is so great that I doubt that doctors and/or sports physicians can't see to it that this guys knee is in tip top condition. I would take a chance on him. I totally can understand your reservations though. With that said, he's not my first choice. If we go DE, my top choices are: Brooks Reed, Justin Houston, and then Bowers.

PromoTheRobot
04-29-2011, 01:09 PM
There are risks with all these guys. Doctors and modern medicine is so great that I doubt that doctors and/or sports physicians can't see to it that this guys knee is in tip top condition. I would take a chance on him. I totally can understand your reservations though. With that said, he's not my first choice. If we go DE, my top choices are: Brooks Reed, Justin Houston, and then Bowers.

Doctors today can help Bowers walk relatively pain-free. But can they make him an NFL stud?

PTR

DrGraves
04-29-2011, 01:13 PM
As a medical professional i wouldn't have a problem taking him at all.

Mad Max
04-29-2011, 01:15 PM
As a medical professional i wouldn't have a problem taking him at all.

Are you an orthopaedic surgeon?

What can you share with us about his injury/condition?

dasaybz
04-29-2011, 02:29 PM
He didn't have microfracture surgery, and he was walking in a couple days.

Mad Max
04-29-2011, 02:33 PM
He didn't have microfracture surgery, and he was walking in a couple days.

I didn't say he did, the article stated he "may" need it.

Also, Schefter just said that he had some more issues (MCL..something else) that was "loose"