PDA

View Full Version : The lockout is back on

Philagape
04-29-2011, 01:11 PM
ESPN is reporting that the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit has granted a temporary stay of the injunction and reinstated the lockout, meaning players will now be told to hit the road, and doors to team facilities are being locked this afternoon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/29/report-owners-get-stay-of-injunction-lockout-back-on/

ServoBillieves
04-29-2011, 01:15 PM
This is just getting pathetic now... Although I'm siding with the owners when it comes to terms, the "lockout, wait no lockout, erm, nevermind, lockout" BS is getting on my nerves.

wmoz11
04-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Until Monday when the players get to respond.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-29-2011, 01:30 PM
ESPN is now retracting their story.

trapezeus
04-29-2011, 01:51 PM
i just don't get how anyone can side with the owners.

they are providing no proof to their claim that they as 32 individuals need an additional billion taken out of the pool while players who put their bodies on the line are less important.

if they have a valid reason that the player costs are outstripping their ability to run the business, they have a point. but what the fact the revenues keep growing astronomically, and they won't provide any proof that they need the money to run the business, they are violating the trust employees put into their employer.

F the owners. they don't care about anyone but themselves. ayn rand would be proud.

El Guapo
04-29-2011, 02:06 PM

they are providing no proof to their claim that they as 32 individuals need an additional billion taken out of the pool...

What pool? Oh yeah, that's right, it's a pool of the owners' money. They want to keep their own money. Wow, that should shock the world. They are in this business to make as much profit as possible. It's not like they are paying sub-minimum wage to these players.

ServoBillieves
04-29-2011, 02:14 PM
The players are the ones who don't want a cap, correct?

If that's the case, then it's simple who to side with, as the Cowboys, Redskins, and NY teams would be the only teams worth watching, while putting GB, Buffalo, and New Orleans out of commission.

trapezeus
04-29-2011, 02:25 PM
What pool? Oh yeah, that's right, it's a pool of the owners' money. They want to keep their own money. Wow, that should shock the world. They are in this business to make as much profit as possible. It's not like they are paying sub-minimum wage to these players.

So you think you should get a lower wage because the owner of your workplace wants a higher % of the earnings and asks you to sacrifice? And by the way, they got a congress approved anti-trust legislation to curb the available gigs that you could get?

Being solely "Capitalism Rocks Man" is not really thinking things through at all.

The owners saw last night that fans don't care who is right. they want football. and if you take it away from them, they'll keep their dollars away. We just haven't gotten to the point where fans really care. we haven't lost anything yet. You take the game away and then have boring stories of being unable to come to terms with paying your workers and taking out a healthy profit, people will look at other ways to spend their dollars.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-29-2011, 02:27 PM

the players create the wealth...

sdbillsfan2
04-29-2011, 02:41 PM

SHHHHHHHHH :snooze: don't tell Maybin !!!

NOT THE DUDE...
04-29-2011, 02:57 PM

If that's the case, then it's simple who to side with, as the Cowboys, Redskins, and NY teams would be the only teams worth watching, while putting GB, Buffalo, and New Orleans out of commission.

if there is revenue sharing it wont be that unequal.

ddaryl
04-29-2011, 03:01 PM

Not true.. I have yet to hear one argument from the players about eliminating the cap. The players only want to guarantee that a certain % or REVENUES is allotted to player salaries and benefits.... any suggestion of no cap is merely a bargaining chip, players know the league is strong thanks ot revenue sharing and salary caps that help create an equal league.

If REVENUES are up player compensation is up, if REVENUES are down player compensation is down.

The players are the stars, they are the reason we watch the sport. Nobody pays big money to watch an owner sitting in their box. Nor do we buy Jerseys with Owners names on the back. Nobody tells owners to compete with each other outbid each other and over pay free agents. Nobody told the owners to vote 30-2 on the last CBA which gave the players a % of revenues... Nobody told the owners they should over pay for their status symbols of owning an NFL franchise.

Do the owners deserve to make some money.. Yes, but do they deserve to rake it in while limiting the amount of money they pay to players without proof of it being a necessity for league health..... NO IMO.

Both sides need to meet in the middle, and to guarantee the middle is met the owners need to open their books for all to see. Now I know the argument people will use here... "but I can't tell the owner of the company I work for to open his book for me, because I would get fired"... My reply to you is you are not a star, you have little clout and you have none or little leverage, so you are right you cannot. Pro NFL players have clout and have leverage and I guarantee you if I had leverage against my company I would play it to my advantage to.. That's how the free market works, and I know all of you support a free market... right ?

El Guapo
04-29-2011, 05:14 PM
the players create the wealth...

No, you are wrong. Without the NFL (the owners), there would be no platform for them to make the kind of money the players make. The owners created the wealth.

better days
04-29-2011, 05:25 PM
So you think you should get a lower wage because the owner of your workplace wants a higher % of the earnings and asks you to sacrifice? And by the way, they got a congress approved anti-trust legislation to curb the available gigs that you could get?

Being solely "Capitalism Rocks Man" is not really thinking things through at all.

The owners saw last night that fans don't care who is right. they want football. and if you take it away from them, they'll keep their dollars away. We just haven't gotten to the point where fans really care. we haven't lost anything yet. You take the game away and then have boring stories of being unable to come to terms with paying your workers and taking out a healthy profit, people will look at other ways to spend their dollars.

Have you seen the profits oil companies are making? If you don't think the owners of the NFL want to get every penny of profit they can you are crazy. Players are not partners in the business of the NFL, just employees.

Michael82
04-29-2011, 06:08 PM

The players are getting led by a few idiots that want to ruin what made the NFL what it is today. They want to kill the draft, eliminate a salary cap, get rid of franchise tags. They want the rich to get richer, like the Dallas Cowboys, while the small market teams get screwed. :ill:

Ebenezer
04-29-2011, 06:10 PM
They retracted the retraction.

Philagape
04-29-2011, 06:41 PM
AP says it's official, the stay has been granted. Lockout back on