PDA

View Full Version : to me its a headscratcher...

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-29-2011, 08:48 PM
it seems the bills have absolutely no interest in a qb.

just what the hell are they planning to do with the position? Fitz has one year left and no way can they re-up him for starter money.

so just what the hell are they planning?

CleveSteve
04-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Tyrod Taylor this year.

Luck or Barkley or Jones next year.

we are
04-29-2011, 08:50 PM
they still have 6 more picks my friend

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-29-2011, 08:51 PM
6 more picks at the bottom of the pack. you'll not find a franchise qb at this level.
bradys are a once in a century find

Johnny Bugmenot
04-29-2011, 08:53 PM
They must really like Levi Brown.

BuffaloBlitz83
04-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Stanziiii

Mr Bills
last time I checked, there is a draft next year....

Michael82
I'm betting they don't like any QBs in this draft and want to grab one in free agency. Next year the draft will be about solidifying the offense. This year was all about the defense.

BuffaloBlitz83
04-29-2011, 08:55 PM

Tired of hearing that every year!

YardRat
They shouldn't have any interest in a QB until they get the defense and o-line fixed first.

IMO this is proof that Nix and Co. actually have a clue about how to build a football team.

CAbills
Don't take an average QB for the sake of taking one, I think we have seen that with Losman, Edwards, etc. They have other glaring needs on defense and I think they are filling them nicely. Lets see how Fitz does with a whole offseason and year as the true appointed starter.

mayotm
04-29-2011, 08:56 PM
6 more picks at the bottom of the pack. you'll not find a franchise qb at this level.
bradys are a once in a century findWhich "franchise" QB have the Bills passed on in this draft?

wmoz11
04-29-2011, 08:58 PM
We don't need a franchise QB right now. The offense will be a year better since Fitz will be going into the season knowing he's the starter and he has all this experience with the guys last year. Nelson and Johnson will take steps, TE Nelson hopefully will be healthy, Spiller WILL be better.

Give me Stanzi or Taylor in the 4th or 5th and I'm happy. Just gives us a guy that we can develop into a back-up.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-29-2011, 08:59 PM
That's one less year to develop. If the Bills had drafted a blue-chip prospect this year he could've been the backup for a year and then put into the starting position a little more quickly. Rookie starters tend to make a lot of rookie mistakes. Heck, even Brady sat behind Bledsoe his rookie year.

But, alas... maybe another 30-something scrub will hit the market to hold the team over yet again for a couple of years.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-29-2011, 09:02 PM
no way we get a sniff at LUCK and the other guys are no better then Gabbert

mrbojanglezs
04-29-2011, 09:03 PM
the bills will draft taylor with the 2nd pick in the 4th or the 5th

DrGraves
04-29-2011, 09:03 PM
calm down they already indicated that they're trading for kevin kolb

mayotm
04-29-2011, 09:06 PM
That's one less year to develop. If the Bills had drafted a blue-chip prospect this year he could've been the backup for a year and then put into the starting position a little more quickly. Rookie starters tend to make a lot of rookie mistakes. Heck, even Brady sat behind Bledsoe his rookie year.

But, alas... maybe another 30-something scrub will hit the market to hold the team over yet again for a couple of years.So the Bills should have taken Gabbert, Locker or Ponder instead of Dareus? Or one of the other scrubs taken in rounds two or three that may never be anything more than career backups? I disagree. They obviously didn't see any of those guys as "blue chip prospects". Thus, they passed. Personally, I'm fine with it.

BADTHINGSMAN
04-29-2011, 09:06 PM
IMO there really wasnt a QB in this draft that screamed must have. Especially in the first few rounds.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-29-2011, 09:07 PM
calm down they already indicated that they're trading for kevin kolb
HUH?

X-Era
04-29-2011, 09:08 PM

just what the hell are they planning to do with the position? Fitz has one year left and no way can they re-up him for starter money.

so just what the hell are they planning?Two years without a significant investment from the draft. Fitz is a UFA after this year. If he asks to much or we choose not to resign him, we go into the next draft desperate for a QB and likely without the pick to get a sure-fire guy.

Yes, it worries me too.

If Luck and Barkley end up sure-fire, we could be talking about them going in the top 3, and we may be sitting beyond 8 or 9.

And personally, I don't want Ryan Fitzpatrick to have leverage to demand 7 to 8 mill per as a NFL starter (in his mind).

It's too precarious for me.

Bangarang
04-29-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm glad they didn't reach for guys like Dalton or Kaepernick in the 2nd round. Nix can only do so much with one draft. If he and Chan don't like any of the QBs then I'm glad that they aren't taking one for the sake of taking one.

X-Era
04-29-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm glad they didn't reach for guys like Dalton or Kaepernick in the 2nd round. Nix can only do so much with one draft. If he and Chan don't like any of the QBs then I'm glad that they aren't taking one for the sake of taking one.Well, we may end up trading significant picks to get a more sure-fire player... wait till you hear the *****ing about that move.

kingJofNYC
04-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Tanking for Luck!

Seriously, I'm more interested in upgrading the OL, can we take a tackle at some point?

LifetimeBillsFan
04-29-2011, 09:14 PM
It really isn't that difficult:

1.) Build the supporting cast up while you have a journeyman veteran QB who can hold onto the position and win just enough games to keep your fans from revolting.

2.) When you have put together a young core of players who can play your system, but your team is young enough to lose enough games to put you in striking distance of getting a franchise QB in a draft that is deep at the position, you draft your QB.

How does this translate into what the Bills are doing this year?

The last two years the Bills have added some offensive linemen (Wood, Levitre, etc.) and skill players (Spiller, the young WRs, etc.) and begun to build the core of a solid defense through the draft (Dareus, Williams, Troup, Carrington, Sheppard, Poz, A.Williams, Byrd, Moats, etc.)

Next year, the Bills probably won't be bad enough to be able to get A.Luck in the draft, but, with a brutal schedule, will still finish 4th in the AFC East and be in position to draft one of the other potential franchise QBs who will probably be in the draft: Barkley (there's no reason for him to stay at USC), Jones, or Kellen Moore. It's unlikely that those QBs will go # 1, # 2, # 3, and # 4: one of them is likely to be available late in the top ten if not later in the first round--within reach of the Bills, even if they have a better than expected season (there will be enough questions about Moore's lack of size that he may fall into the Bills' lap without them having to trade up to get him).

Any one of these four QBs is a better prospect than any of the QBs in this year's draft (and it's possible that other QBs may emerge as prospects this fall as well). So, that's why the Bills have passed on the QBs thus far this season.

The Bills may draft a QB in the later rounds (Stanzi or Yates, etc.) to try to develop or bring in a veteran to back up Fitz if they don't think Brown is ready to step in yet as the # 2 this season. Levi Brown will be given a chance to see if he can step up and convince them that he has what it takes to be a franchise QB in the NFL this season, but the Bills are setting themselves up to get their franchise QB next year. (If Newton had been available, I think they would have taken him based on his potential and they would have considered Gabbert if Dareus had gone to Denver instead of Miller, but I think that they got what they wanted and needed this year and will go for their QB when next year when the prospects are better and have fewer questions about them.)

Does that answer your question?

mikemac2001
04-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Tanking for Luck!

Seriously, I'm more interested in upgrading the OL, can we take a tackle at some point?

we don't need to we have mike williams

X-Era
04-29-2011, 09:19 PM

1.) Build the supporting cast up while you have a journeyman veteran QB who can hold onto the position and win just enough games to keep your fans from revolting.

2.) When you have put together a young core of players who can play your system, but your team is young enough to lose enough games to put you in striking distance of getting a franchise QB in a draft that is deep at the position, you draft your QB.

The last two years the Bills have added some offensive linemen (Wood, Levitre, etc.) and skill players (Spiller, the young WRs, etc.) and begun to build the core of a solid defense through the draft (Dareus, Williams, Troup, Carrington, Sheppard, Poz, A.Williams, Byrd, Moats, etc.)

Next year, the Bills probably won't be bad enough to be able to get A.Luck in the draft, but, with a brutal schedule, will still finish 4th in the AFC East and be in position to draft one of the other potential franchise QBs who will probably be in the draft: Barkley (there's no reason for him to stay at USC), Jones, or Kellen Moore. It's unlikely that those QBs will go # 1, # 2, # 3, and # 4: one of them is likely to be available late in the top ten if not later in the first round--within reach of the Bills, even if they have a better than expected season (there will be enough questions about Moore's lack of size that he may fall into the Bills' lap without them having to trade up to get him).

Any one of these four QBs is a better prospect than any of the QBs in this year's draft (and it's possible that other QBs may emerge as prospects this fall as well). So, that's why the Bills have passed on the QBs thus far this season.

The Bills may draft a QB in the later rounds (Stanzi or Yates, etc.) to try to develop or bring in a veteran to back up Fitz if they don't think Brown is ready to step in yet as the # 2 this season. Levi Brown will be given a chance to see if he can step up and convince them that he has what it takes to be a franchise QB in the NFL this season, but the Bills are setting themselves up to get their franchise QB next year. (If Newton had been available, I think they would have taken him based on his potential and they would have considered Gabbert if Dareus had gone to Denver instead of Miller, but I think that they got what they wanted and needed this year and will go for their QB when next year when the prospects are better and have fewer questions about them.)

Does that answer your question?You just can't make a claim like this. We just don't know yet.

THE END OF ALL DAYS

Does that answer your question?
good post LTBF!

THE END OF ALL DAYS
Two years without a significant investment from the draft. Fitz is a UFA after this year. If he asks to much or we choose not to resign him, we go into the next draft desperate for a QB and likely without the pick to get a sure-fire guy.

Yes, it worries me too.

If Luck and Barkley end up sure-fire, we could be talking about them going in the top 3, and we may be sitting beyond 8 or 9.

And personally, I don't want Ryan Fitzpatrick to have leverage to demand 7 to 8 mill per as a NFL starter (in his mind).

It's too precarious for me.
X- Im think along the same lines as you

HHURRICANE
04-29-2011, 09:20 PM
I don't think this is a great QB class.

This isn't like the year that we got Losman.

X-Era
04-29-2011, 09:22 PM
I don't think this is a great QB class.

This isn't like the year that we got Losman.Outside of Luck, next year may not be either... with Fitz a UFA, with Gailey in his lame duck year... Do we really want to start a rookie QB?

X-Era
04-29-2011, 09:23 PM
My sense is that the 1st-round-QB haters will be plenty pissed if, and IMO when, it's painfully obvious that Fitz is a limiting factor.

tampabay25690
04-29-2011, 09:24 PM
What QB is worth taking anyway???

BuffaloBlitz83
04-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Stanzi!

DraftBoy
They'll take a guy like TJ Yates late and see what we have next year.

X-Era
It's moot right now anyways.

ct bills fan
04-29-2011, 09:28 PM
what's the story about Stanzi?

DesertFox24
04-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Why take a qb to take a qb.

I say, stay true to your board. If you have to have a qb then trade to where the value makes sense.

Stanzi, McElroy, Yates, Enderle, Webber, Devlin. There are some guys we will look at, we do have two 4ths.

Mad Max
04-29-2011, 09:30 PM

patience grasshoppa

We're getting Landry Jones, Barkley, or Luck next year.

X-Era
04-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Right now, I only see Luck and Barkley as sure-fire 1st rounders with Barkley a junior who could stay in school and Luck going #1.

Jones and Foles are borderline 1st rounders right now.

tat2dmike77
04-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Passing on Dalton in the second is a big mistake just watch.

Ofcourse i dont care much anymore. These crybabies crying about money on both sides yet i have to save money just to make it to one game to see a team that plays like a high school football team and not a good one at that.

Mad Max
04-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Right now, I only see Luck and Barkley as sure-fire 1st rounders with Barkley a junior who could stay in school and Luck going #1.

Jones and Foles are borderline 1st rounders right now.

I'm going to be driving the Landry Jones bus, he's gonna creep up into the top 10 barring injury.

Jones will be a Junior also, so maybe SOL on him as well...but I got a feeling that he'll play well enough that it may be in his best interest to declare.

tat2dmike77
04-29-2011, 09:48 PM

LMAO this team will be in the top three AGAIN next year.

Danny Duberstein
04-29-2011, 09:52 PM

I don't know....maybe their plan is to not completely reach on a totally mediocre QB, like they did with Losman.

X-Era
04-29-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm going to be driving the Landry Jones bus, he's gonna creep up into the top 10 barring injury.

Jones will be a Junior also, so maybe SOL on him as well...but I got a feeling that he'll play well enough that it may be in his best interest to declare.Barely 200 with a smaller frame... his build reminds me of Graham Harrell... and he plays in a spread. That is an issue in this draft (in some minds) this year but not next year?

X-Era
04-29-2011, 09:58 PM
LMAO this team will be in the top three AGAIN next year.I really dont see that

doug45
04-29-2011, 10:12 PM

That is what we say every year or at least the last 10 or 11.

doug45
04-29-2011, 10:14 PM
I really dont see that

Yes because if we get #1 they will more than likely trade it for a ham sandwich.

X-Era
04-29-2011, 10:15 PM
That is what we say every year or at least the last 10 or 11.Last time we made any stink in the playoffs we had a HOF QB at the helm... Coincidence? I don't think so.

dasaybz
04-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Tyrod Taylor really? He is a huge ****ing bum, if he gets drafted by the Bills, he'll be cut within 2 years.

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Newton was the only QB I really wanted. After that I wasnt too impressed. Don't think any of them are much better than Fitz...

Give Fitz one more shot. If he peforms great. If not QB next year.

doug45
04-29-2011, 10:19 PM
Last time we made any stink in the playoffs we had a HOF QB at the helm... Coincidence? I don't think so.

You are so right !!!!! If there are any QB's left now they wouldn't be worth getting. They would be a repeat of the last many years. Fitz can't do it and wasn't been able to on any of several teams. But the price is right for the Bills..

doug45
04-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Newton was the only QB I really wanted. After that I wasnt too impressed. Don't think any of them are much better than Fitz...

Give Fitz one more shot. If he peforms great. If not QB next year.

Next Year Next Year Next Year How long do we keep saying this???? we haven't done anything to address this problem this year again so I guess it will be Next Year!!!!!!

Mad Max
04-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Barely 200 with a smaller frame... his build reminds me of Graham Harrell... and he plays in a spread. That is an issue in this draft (in some minds) this year but not next year?

Where'd you see he was 200? I recalled he was 215>...besides 10-20 pounds is going to come naturally over the next couple of years so that's not an issue in my eyes (there was this other scrawny milquetoast named brady something)

Sam Bradford played in the same offense as Jones..and he's doing ok in the NFL.

A lot of guys who put up nasty numbers in the spread do so with noodle arms...Jones has a rifle, prototype height, a good head on his shoulders...

X-Era
04-29-2011, 10:26 PM
Just had a thought.

Nix was asked today about the QB spot and he said they will look to FA and maybe an undrafted...

Got me thinking about FA's... And a name came to me... Vince Young.

Not my favorite move. Maybe Nix is thinking this way. Maybe he is hoping for a Vick like resurrection. Contract will be reasonable and Gailey might be able to turn him around... That's what they may be thinking, not me.

doug45
04-29-2011, 10:28 PM
Just had a thought.

Nix was asked today about the QB spot and he said they will look to FA and maybe an undrafted...

Got me thinking about FA's... And a name came to me... Vince Young.

Not my favorite move. Maybe Nix is thinking this way. Maybe he is hoping for a Vick like resurrection. Contract will be reasonable and Gailey might be able to turn him around... That's what they may be thinking, not me.

If he comes cheap I am sure they will look at any old QB.

X-Era
04-29-2011, 10:30 PM
Where'd you see he was 200? I recalled he was 215>...besides 10-20 pounds is going to come naturally over the next couple of years so that's not an issue in my eyes (there was this other scrawny milquetoast named brady something)

Sam Bradford played in the same offense as Jones..and he's doing ok in the NFL.

A lot of guys who put up nasty numbers in the spread do so with noodle arms...Jones has a rifle, prototype height, a good head on his shoulders...If your looking for me to get hung up on the spread, cough-Gabbert-cough. Just saying that we heard that we shouldn't do it because of that this year but next year its fine?

And I'm not worried about the weight as much as the frame...

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Landry+Jones+Florida+State+v+Oklahoma+FVPgdbsxJaLl.jpg

BertSquirtgum
04-29-2011, 10:34 PM
bradys are a once in a century find

how do i become psychic like you?

Mad Max
04-29-2011, 10:39 PM
If your looking for me to get hung up on the spread, cough-Gabbert-cough. Just saying that we heard that we shouldn't do it because of that this year but next year its fine?

And I'm not worried about the weight as much as the frame...

I just checked OU's site..he's listed at 230. That's plenty for a 6-4 frame.

As far as saying we shouldn't get a spread guy? Who said that? Coaches?

X-Era
04-29-2011, 10:42 PM
I just checked OU's site..he's listed at 230. That's plenty for a 6-4 frame.

As far as saying we shouldn't get a spread guy? Who said that? Coaches?No, this is me *****ing about the fans on this board. 230? I don't see that. Could be, but I don't see it.

ESPN has him at 219, OU has him at 230...

Harrell was 215... I think that may be more realistic.

BertSquirtgum
04-29-2011, 10:45 PM
LMAO this team will be in the top three AGAIN next year.

i nominate this for the dumbest post of the year so far.

psubills62
04-29-2011, 10:46 PM
What QB is worth taking anyway???
Dude...what is wrong with your avatar? It takes up most of the screen.

Mad Max
04-29-2011, 10:49 PM
No, this is me *****ing about the fans on this board. 230? I don't see that. Could be, but I don't see it.

ESPN has him at 219, OU has him at 230...

Harrell was 215... I think that may be more realistic.

ahhh that splains it..I wasn't one of those fans.

And those same fans probably didn't know much about Bradford and where he came from prior to him going #1. So they can wallow in their ignorance.

I even liked your boy Gabby...I just didn't see the first round franchise in him.

As for weight...not sure why OU would lie about something like that...but like I said it doesn't matter..even if he were only 215..how hard is it to gain 10-15 pounds at 22...not hard.

wmoz11
04-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Landry Jones spins it like crazy. I love his ball (no homo). And who's to say the spread is a bad thing? We ran a ****-ton of spread last year with Gailey.

Some spreads aren't based on just single reads.

dannyek71
04-29-2011, 11:09 PM
Don't worry, we have Levi Brown as our #2 coming in to the year. Quite solid.

Mad Max
04-29-2011, 11:09 PM
Landry Jones spins it like crazy. I love his ball (no homo). And who's to say the spread is a bad thing? We ran a ****-ton of spread last year with Gailey.

Some spreads aren't based on just single reads.

Jump on board the bus my man...I got a big bus and I'm driving it slow now.

There's plenty of room now...but when the casual (or non) college fans catch wind of him as ESPN starts to hype him next season, this things gonna get crowded.

Oh as a bonus...Kiper the carpet head doesn't have him listed in his top 5. That's an automatic win for the kid.

wmoz11
04-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Jump on board the bus my man...I got a big bus and I'm driving it slow now.

There's plenty of room now...but when the casual (or non) college fans catch wind of him as ESPN starts to hype him next season, this things gonna get crowded.

Oh as a bonus...Kiper the carpet head doesn't have him listed in his top 5. That's an automatic win for the kid.

I like him better than Barkley for sure. Obviously not better than Luck, but I bet he ends up top-5 next year if he declares.

Pretty athletic, too.

dannyek71
04-29-2011, 11:15 PM
I love how we are already discussing NEXT years QBs.

And we wonder why we have not been to the playoffs since 99.

Mad Max
04-29-2011, 11:16 PM
I like him better than Barkley for sure. Obviously not better than Luck, but I bet he ends up top-5 next year if he declares.

Pretty athletic, too.

yep as of today i would rank them

1-Luck
2-Jones
3-Barkley

Barkley doesn't have ideal size nor does he have as big an arm as Jones (who has the strongest gun of the 3)

I could easily see Jones playing himself into the top 5. Could be problematic we may be picking just a bit behind that number...but a lot can happen between now and then.

X-Era
04-29-2011, 11:19 PM

And we wonder why we have not been to the playoffs since 99.I really un-thank myself for thanking that post.

I pray that we have some hail mary to land our future this year... still... somehow...

Mad Max
04-29-2011, 11:20 PM

And we wonder why we have not been to the playoffs since 99.

I guess that begs the question, if this was a weak QB class (arguably)...and next years draft is going to be strong (it will be about 5-6 deep IMO) why should we have panicked and picked a guy just for the sake of filling a helmet?

Mad Max
04-29-2011, 11:22 PM
I really un-thank myself for thanking that post.

I pray that we have some hail mary to land our future this year... still... somehow...

haha, ya man that looked like some self flagellation

X-Era
04-29-2011, 11:23 PM
I guess that begs the question, if this was a weak QB class (arguably)...and next years draft is going to be strong (it will be about 5-6 deep IMO) why should we have panicked and picked a guy just for the sake of filling a helmet?Seriously, and I'm not coming down on you, I hear that next years class is strong every single year... do a search, it's true.

The fans that don't want a QB in the high 1st, won't... ever unless we pick #1 and we won't.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but this thing is a really shaky situation at this point, IMHO.

dannyek71
04-29-2011, 11:25 PM
I guess that begs the question, if this was a weak QB class (arguably)...and next years draft is going to be strong (it will be about 5-6 deep IMO) why should we have panicked and picked a guy just for the sake of filling a helmet?
Not panicked just for the sake of drafting a guy. And for the record I have no problem with our 1st round pick this year. It is just that we've had QB troubles since the early 2000's. How do we address it, with one pick in 2004 and a 3rd rounder in 2007? Since 2003 we've drafted 3 running backs in the 1st round, but only 1 QB.

One year not going after a QB is something I can handle. However, it is a pattern.

This is why our organization will continue to go nowhere.

dannyek71
04-29-2011, 11:27 PM
I really un-thank myself for thanking that post.

Keep praying. God helps those who help themselves.

X-Era
04-29-2011, 11:28 PM
Not panicked just for the sake of drafting a guy. And for the record I have no problem with our 1st round pick this year. It is just that we've had QB troubles since the early 2000's. How do we address it, with one pick in 2004 and a 3rd rounder in 2007? Since 2003 we've drafted 3 running backs in the 1st round, but only 1 QB.

One year not going after a QB is something I can handle. However, it is a pattern.

1) Our 1st round pick was a great pick

2) This team STILL does not have the right answer at QB IMO... and they continue to not do what it takes to provide that answer. And it WILL cost this team the playoffs or a deep run into the playoffs. I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

Mad Max
04-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Seriously, and I'm not coming down on you, I hear that next years class is strong every single year... do a search, it's true.

The fans that don't want a QB in the high 1st, won't... ever unless we pick #1 and we won't.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but this thing is a really shaky situation at this point, IMHO.

I understand your (the) position..."Keep waiting for next year, and it will never come".

Fair point. At some point the trigger must be pulled. I just think we have to do it on the right guy.

Because pulling the trigger on the wrong guy is worse than not pulling it at all...see RJ, Losman, Edwards.

I want us to target said right guy and do what it takes to get him.

Maybe we just disagree on the quality of this years crop..I wasn't much impressed by it..after Luck pulled out (whose bus I was driving early).

Mad Max
04-29-2011, 11:31 PM

Which QB would you have taken this year?

X-Era
04-29-2011, 11:32 PM
I understand your (the) position..."Keep waiting for next year, and it will never come".

Fair point. At some point the trigger must be pulled. I just think we have to do it on the right guy.

Because pulling the trigger on the wrong guy is worse than not pulling it at all...see RJ, Losman, Edwards.

I want us to target said right guy and do what it takes to get him.

Maybe we just disagree on the quality of this years crop..I wasn't much impressed by it..after Luck pulled out (whose bus I was driving early).This team may be paralyzed by value vs. need.

We may not truly realize the need until it's too late.

And, Nix will never be happy about over-drafting a QB. Yet if your a team that isn't picking #1 overall, that's exactly what you may be forced to do. The rest of the teams set the rules, not us... as painful as that may be.

X-Era
04-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Which QB would you have taken this year?I love our pick, but if Gabbert becomes what I think he will and someone picked below 34 becomes a stud at DT, we picked wrong.

Lots of if's and I don't have any problem with our pick. This is a hypothetical that assumes we can't got the playoffs and beyond, that the QB is a major reason why, and that Gabbert turns out to be a guy that would have done it.

Lot's of if's and many aren't comfortable thinking that far ahead.

Mad Max
04-29-2011, 11:35 PM
This team may be paralyzed by value vs. need.

We may not truly realize the need until it's too late.

And, Nix will never be happy about over-drafting a QB. Yet if your a team that isn't picking #1 overall, that's exactly what you may be forced to do. The rest of the teams set the rules, not us... as painful as that may be.

I almost had a DUH moment and asked you the same question I asked Danny.

HAHAHA

(fess up man I know Gabby's your cousin)

wmoz11
04-29-2011, 11:37 PM
Fitz isn't our long term answer, I get that. But the man threw 23 TDs in, what, 14 games?

I know he throws picks, but I think we actually can afford to wait on a QB another year thanks to the season he had last year. Give him another offseason (this time he'll KNOW he's the starter going in) and camp with the guys and he'll be even better.

I'm all for drafting a QB early when the right one is there. That wasn't the case this year.

This is the most stable our starting QB spot has been in awhile. Even after JP's decent year, we drafted Trent in the 3rd and he outplayed JP in preseason. That won't happen this year. There are no questions - Fitz will be the starter.

X-Era
04-29-2011, 11:48 PM
Fitz isn't our long term answer, I get that. But the man threw 23 TDs in, what, 14 games?

I know he throws picks, but I think we actually can afford to wait on a QB another year thanks to the season he had last year. Give him another offseason (this time he'll KNOW he's the starter going in) and camp with the guys and he'll be even better.

I'm all for drafting a QB early when the right one is there. That wasn't the case this year.

This is the most stable our starting QB spot has been in awhile. Even after JP's decent year, we drafted Trent in the 3rd and he outplayed JP in preseason. That won't happen this year. There are no questions - Fitz will be the starter.Fitz has grit. That's what he has. Fitz gives defenses Fits... thats what he does. He doesn't have adequate arm strength, accuracy, decision making, mobility... you name it.

And if Fitz gets hurt we play who?

And when Fitz demands 7-8 mill per year, (starting QB money) and we choose not to pay it, we have which established backup plan?

We are in a precarious position now with all our eggs in an average-at-best basket who's contract will end after this year.

I didn't want to be walking into next years draft needing to go all-in on a QB when I have lots of other needs. And with a FO that thinks we can get a steal, sure-fire franchise QB outside of the top 5 picks where we will likely pick... It's all a bit to walking-on-a-tight-rope-300-feet-in-the-air-drunk for me.

You can't really land a steal when your looking for a sure-fire franchise QB... The other 31 teams are willing to over-draft QB's, remember?

wmoz11
04-29-2011, 11:54 PM
I think his decision making and intelligence are top-notch. Mobility isn't adequate? I think it's a major strength. It's just that his accuracy is bad, admittedly. Most of the picks he threw were correct reads, just bad throws. You live with that because he's got balls and makes up for it with TDs that most QBs won't throw.

He's not the answer - I know that - but I think we can get 2 or 3 years out of him. And if he does become worth 7-8M/year QB, then what are we complaining about? Better than paying some never-done-anything-in-the-NFL rookie 50M guaranteed.

X-Era
04-30-2011, 12:03 AM
I think his decision making and intelligence are top-notch. Mobility isn't adequate? I think it's a major strength. It's just that his accuracy is bad, admittedly. Most of the picks he threw were correct reads, just bad throws. You live with that because he's got balls and makes up for it with TDs that most QBs won't throw.

He's not the answer - I know that - but I think we can get 2 or 3 years out of him. And if he does become worth 7-8M/year QB, then what are we complaining about? Better than paying some never-done-anything-in-the-NFL rookie 50M guaranteed.OK...

How do we get 2-3 years out of a guy who's a FA after this year and will likely want 7-8 mill per?

If you resign him at that point to that type of money, you're committing to him long term as your starter.

Becomes worth 7-8 mill per? That time is now because he is a UFA after this year.

How exactly does a team that needs a franchise QB and will, by their own rules, only add one from the draft get around paying the big guaranteed money?

wmoz11
04-30-2011, 12:12 AM
OK...

How do we get 2-3 years out of a guy who's a FA after this year and will likely want 7-8 mill per?

If you resign him at that point to that type of money, you're committing to him long term as your starter.

Becomes worth 7-8 mill per? That time is now because he is a UFA after this year.

How exactly does a team that needs a franchise QB and will, by their own rules, only add one from the draft get around paying the big guaranteed money?

If he plays like a franchise QB, then he's a franchise QB. Why not commit to him long-term if he puts up big numbers this coming year? I think you're so entrenched in "Ryan Fitzpatrick is not a franchise QB" (which he very well may not be) that you won't even accept it if he puts up 40 TDs and 4,000 yards.

Get over the name and let's see how he plays this year. If he's average, we draft a guy high next year and either play him right away or sit him behind one of the various veterans that are available each year.

X-Era
04-30-2011, 12:20 AM
If he plays like a franchise QB, then he's a franchise QB. Why not commit to him long-term if he puts up big numbers this coming year? I think you're so entrenched in "Ryan Fitzpatrick is not a franchise QB" (which he very well may not be) that you won't even accept it if he puts up 40 TDs and 4,000 yards.

Get over the name and let's see how he plays this year. If he's average, we draft a guy high next year and either play him right away or sit him behind one of the various veterans that are available each year.No issue with the wait and see approach I have no choice anyways. The problem is that it usually take a year or so to get your rookie playing solid. And then the timeline on "giving Fitz a chance" while having a rookie developing is now. And now that's shot.

I will absolutely accept him as the answer if he pays like it this year, consistently, throughout the year. But again, you have no backup plan if it fails other than goin into the draft desperate.

wmoz11
04-30-2011, 12:27 AM
You're right - it does take rookies at least a year. And you'd prefer to let him sit and learn from the backburner for a year. If we decide Fitz isn't worth re-signing after this year and we draft a young guy, hopefully we can get a veteran guy to come in for a year.

I know it's been frustrating for a long time. I just don't want to commit 50M to a guy (hopefully the rookie wage scale will be in soon, though) and then have him fizzle out and set us back 5 more years.

Gailey and company said that if a franchise QB was available, they would have to take him. Obviously they didn't see one and we'll have to hope they made the right choice. I'd rather they not take one until absolutely sure 1)what they have in Fitz and 2)the guy they're getting is as close to a sure thing as possible.

dannyek71
04-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Which QB would you have taken this year?

This year.... Mallet in 3rd. Previous years, now that's a different story.

Night Train
04-30-2011, 01:32 AM

Not reaching for below average talent at QB this weekend is a good plan.

There will be another draft next year and Free Agency.

Beebe's Kid
04-30-2011, 01:41 AM
Fitz is going to prove this thread much ado about nothing. He'll grow back the beard, while living on a diet of red meat, cheap beer, dolphins, patriots and jets. We take the division, Fitzy signs for a cool 6 Mil for 4 piece, and we'll put it in cruise for few years, and collect a few Lombardis.

Chillax, Charlie. We're cool...bump it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iUK-z0-ongQ/Sb3ORfSlibI/AAAAAAAAADA/vVmPqQhqiJc/s320/mcpoyle.jpg

Bangarang
04-30-2011, 01:52 AM
Fitz is going to prove this thread much ado about nothing. He'll grow back the beard, while living on a diet of red meat, cheap beer, dolphins, patriots and jets. We take the division, Fitzy signs for a cool 6 Mil for 4 piece, and we'll put it in cruise for few years, and collect a few Lombardis.

Chillax, Charlie. We're cool...bump it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iUK-z0-ongQ/Sb3ORfSlibI/AAAAAAAAADA/vVmPqQhqiJc/s320/mcpoyle.jpg

Did Mallett hook you up with some of that good stuff?

Novacane
04-30-2011, 02:39 AM

If he has another good year why can't they re-sign him for starter money?

blln4lyf
04-30-2011, 02:46 AM
We would of taken Newton had he fell imo, and if Ponder lasted till the 2nd we would of taken him there imo. We were not however going to take a QB, i.e. Dalton with our 2nd round pick just for the sake of taking a QB.

Dujek
04-30-2011, 03:37 AM
I was amazed Mallet made it as far as he did, and even more amazed that we passed up on him in the 3rd round. The guy is the most NFL ready out of all the QBs in the draft, personal issues or not, and he will be an absolute star at New England in the future.

Then again, I think we've made 3 excellent picks so far, and the defense has improved immeasurably.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-30-2011, 06:01 AM
X-Era you and i are sympatico

you have written every thing exactly as I think :)

better days
04-30-2011, 07:11 AM
I was amazed Mallet made it as far as he did, and even more amazed that we passed up on him in the 3rd round. The guy is the most NFL ready out of all the QBs in the draft, personal issues or not, and he will be an absolute star at New England in the future.

Then again, I think we've made 3 excellent picks so far, and the defense has improved immeasurably.

Mallet went to the ideal place for him. He will have time to sit & learn to play the game & will also be forced to get his act together off the field because Belichick & the entire team will not tolerate any bs from him.

Dozerdog
04-30-2011, 10:03 AM

I think they just have a bigger interest in keeping opponents under 30 points EVERY FRIGGIN WEEKEND!!!!!!!