PDA

View Full Version : Hoping for Ricky Stanzi

BuffaloBlitz83
04-29-2011, 08:53 PM
It be a solid 4th Rd pick with potential. I like the kid. Very Solid season at Iowa this year.

• Possesses ideal height and bulk with a large frame
• Above average athleticism with pretty good mobility
• Arm is strong enough to make all the necessary throws
• Outstanding throwing mechanics and a great delivery
• Able to buy time in pocket and make plays with feet
• Can work under center and go through progressions
• Tough and will stand tall in the pocket under duress
• Intelligent student of the game with good football IQ
• Mature and hard working w/ terrific leadership skills
• A lot of experience against top-notch competition

McBFLO
04-29-2011, 08:56 PM
You gotta change that avatar man! Haha. Pat lover.

BuffaloBlitz83
04-29-2011, 09:00 PM
You gotta change that avatar man! Haha. Pat lover.

True! I will hopefuly we draft a QB lol

wmoz11
04-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Saw him a lot in the Big 10. Showed A LOT of improvement. I like him in the 4th or 5th for sure.

BuffaloBlitz83
04-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Saw him a lot in the Big 10. Showed A LOT of improvement. I like him in the 4th or 5th for sure.

Let's hope

Don't Panic
04-29-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm a big fan too... 4th would work for me.

mysticsoto
04-29-2011, 09:09 PM
A 4th would work for me too! But I'm wondering which one. Getting a decent OT might be more important 1st...

LifetimeBillsFan
04-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Stanzi has career back-up written all over him, even though he has improved considerably in college.

I wouldn't waste a pick on him. I'd use the pick to continue to build the supporting cast and then take my franchise QB in the 1st round of next year's draft when there's likely to be four or more better prospects available than any of the QBs in this year's draft: A.Luck, L.Jones, M.Barkley (he has no reason to stay at USC), and K.Moore. If the Bills draft in the top 12 (likely given their difficult schedule), they should be able to get one of those four QBs (probably not A.Luck), possibly even without trading up.

The Bills are rebuilding and this never was intended to be a one year project. If Newton had fallen to them, they probably would have taken him based on his great potential and physical ability--and they would have "considered" Gabbert, if Denver had taken Dareus instead of Miller--but it seems quite obvious that their plan was not to go for a QB (other than Newton) if they could get a quality defensive prospect instead. Why? Because there will be better QB prospects available in the first round next year.

Maybe they go for a young QB prospect late (you need to have 4 in training camp), but they already have a young prospect that they are developing in Levi Brown, so don't expect them to take a QB if they feel that there is a prospect that can help them at another position available in the middle rounds. Using a 4th round pick on Stanzi would be a waste if they think Brown has the ability to become their back-up QB (I don't know that they do, but they're acting like they do).

Make sense?

DraftBoy
04-29-2011, 09:28 PM
To put it simply, hell no. Never...not even as a FA. Forces throws, doesnt read the B drop, doesnt see blitzes, poor pocket presence.

BuffaloBlitz83
04-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Stanzi is 7th on Mayocks Best Available

Raptor
04-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Nope and in fact No on any QB in this draft for the rest of the way

To me picking a QB at this point is just throwing away a draft pick. History shows that him becoming even an AVG QB in the NFL is a long shot at best let alone a franchise one

Take two OL at some point and go BPA with all the other picks

SaviorEdwards
04-29-2011, 09:56 PM
I hope so to.:mybills:

BILLSROCK1212
04-29-2011, 11:16 PM
to be our backup? sure... i'm not a fan of drafting a QB after the 3rd round if you ever plan on starting him...putting our hopes in Stanzi could set the franchise back yet again...not necessary...to be a long term backup I am a fan

unless of course he proves otherwise...

NOT THE DUDE...
04-29-2011, 11:18 PM
do not take a qb until rd7 we will be adding a fa to be the backup

alohabillsfan
04-30-2011, 03:11 AM
To put it simply, hell no. Never...not even as a FA. Forces throws, doesnt read the B drop, doesnt see blitzes, poor pocket presence.

ROFL, sounds like the other 6 QB's already picked!

Night Train
04-30-2011, 05:46 AM

Face it DB, some folks wish to draft " a QB" , whether he has actual talent or not.

Next year it will happen and these folks can then finally take their victory lap, stating how they " called it ". :rolleyes:

NorthCarBills
04-30-2011, 06:56 AM
I think the next Bills QB will be a stop-gap vet FA as #2, drafting our future QB next year. The Bills are doing it right by overhauling the defense this year and last, and staying put on their three year plan.

That being said, a guy like Stanzi is a possible nice alternative to have on the roster. Little risk, maybe a high reward.

TacklingDummy
04-30-2011, 07:15 AM
For where we can draft him (5th round) Stanzi was my 2nd ranked QB on my big board behind Locker.

Don't Panic
04-30-2011, 07:22 AM
I would be willing to take Stanzi in the 4th because I think there is an outside shot he could be a quality starter by year 3. If they don't think that, then there is no point in drafting him. No need to draft a backup QB when they still have legitimate needs to fill.

Don't Panic
04-30-2011, 08:01 AM

So it was you DB... I figured it had to be some slouch who just spouted off but it was actually some one who knows what they're talking about. Watch the clip in the "rd 4 options" thread and tell me you still believe what you said here.

Blacksheep71
04-30-2011, 08:07 AM
I'd rather we look with our next 3 selections at

OLB/DE - someone like Sam Acho or Greg Romeus

TE - Luke Stocker or Jordan Cameron

OL - a versatile G/T like Clint Boling or Darius Morris

all could start very quickly

elltrain22
04-30-2011, 08:31 AM
There are only 2 qb's that I'd want on this team, and they are both 6th or 7th round guys. The first is Tyrod Taylor. He's a winner, can make alot of plays w/ his feet, and Chan can probably do alot w/ him.

The guy I really, really want is Pat Devlin. This is a guy we can very late, and can, IMO, really surprise alot of people w/ his talent.

Mahdi
04-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Yet he still managed 3000 yards passing, with a 64% completion and 8.71 ypa, 25TDs against only 6 INTs. Those are some pretty impressive stats for a guy that has all the deficiencies you claim. Also consider that this guy is a pocket passer in a pro style offense. So its not like he is getting his stats with a gimmick offense either.

I had Ricky in my mock and I think this is the point where the Bills feel like adding a QB might be worth their while.

Having said all that I would not be surprised if they ignore the QB position in the draft because at this point the question becomes, how much better is a 4-7th round pick than Fitz? if at all. I think they realize that Fitz is their best option and use the draft to fill the rest of their needs.

DraftBoy
04-30-2011, 09:14 AM
So it was you DB... I figured it had to be some slouch who just spouted off but it was actually some one who knows what they're talking about. Watch the clip in the "rd 4 options" thread and tell me you still believe what you said here.

I dont watch highlight clips, and I believe its probably very good, but I live with an Iowa alumni and she makes me watch ever Iowa game. He's just not that good, watch him v. Arizona in 2010, v. Missouri in 2010, v. Indiana in 2009. Keep in mind his career TD:INT ratio is only 1.8:1 which is horrifically low.

tampabay25690
04-30-2011, 09:15 AM
I dont watch highlight clips, and I believe its probably very good, but I live with an Iowa alumni and she makes me watch ever Iowa game. He's just not that good, watch him v. Arizona in 2010, v. Missouri in 2010, v. Indiana in 2009. Keep in mind his career TD:INT ratio is only 1.8:1 which is horrifically low.

Why all the hype for Stanzi anyway???
I would rather go after a FA QB whenever that opens...
I was never impressed with Stanzi...

DraftBoy
04-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Yet he still managed 3000 yards passing, with a 64% completion and 8.71 ypa, 25TDs against only 6 INTs. Those are some pretty impressive stats for a guy that has all the deficiencies you claim. Also consider that this guy is a pocket passer in a pro style offense. So its not like he is getting his stats with a gimmick offense either.

I had Ricky in my mock and I think this is the point where the Bills feel like adding a QB might be worth their while.

Having said all that I would not be surprised if they ignore the QB position in the draft because at this point the question becomes, how much better is a 4-7th round pick than Fitz? if at all. I think they realize that Fitz is their best option and use the draft to fill the rest of their needs.

Why do you choose to ignore his 09 numbers and only post his 2010? And aside from that is stats were the best argument then why did Ryan Mallett just fall to Round 3?

BuffaloBlitz83
04-30-2011, 09:17 AM

He will lead us top the promised land :)

BuffaloBlitz83
04-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Why do you choose to ignore his 09 numbers and only post his 2010? And aside from that is stats were the best argument then why did Ryan Mallett just fall to Round 3?

He doesn't have the off the field character issues and is much more mobile. So are you saying it isn't possible he improved as a QB this year? Hence the great stats in 2010.

ddaryl
04-30-2011, 09:22 AM
I think Stanzi at any time from here on out is worth a shot... Even if we take him I bet the farm Nix would not hesitate to grab a QB next year early on if the right one is there.

Stanzi throws well while he rolls out... He has decent accuracy. He wins... He plays well against better competition... We have Fitz for the time being.... Heck even if he was our future backup it would be worth a 4th IMO

So I wouldn't mind seeing the Bills take a chance on Stanzi. He'll battle Levi for clip board duty, or end up on the practice squad for a year. The Bills will bring in a vet FA QB this offseason IMO..

then there is that whole set of metrics articles that painted Stanzi as the most probable QB to have NFL success that still intrigues me..

BuffaloBlitz83
04-30-2011, 09:24 AM
I think Stanzi at any time from here on out is worth a shot... Even if we take him I bet the farm Nix would not hesitate to grab a QB next year early on if the right one is there.

Stanzi throws well while he rolls out... He has decent accuracy. He wins... He plays well against better competition... We have Fitz for the time being.... Heck even if he was our future backup it would be worth a 4th IMO

So I wouldn't mind seeing the Bills take a chance on Stanzi. He'll battle Levi for clip board duty, or end up on the practice squad for a year. The Bills will bring in a vet FA QB this offseason IMO..

then there is that whole set of metrics articles that painted Stanzi as the most probable QB to have NFL success that still intrigues me..

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0wIm_41OIOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mahdi
04-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Everyone knows why...

Mahdi
04-30-2011, 09:32 AM
Because players improve... Stanzi had a good senior year and I think that should be the focus.

BuffaloBlitz83
04-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Because players improve... Stanzi had a good senior year and I think that should be the focus.

Bingo. He moves around the pocket very well and has a very good arm. Great head on his shoulder. Def has a 4th round grade. It should be the pick!

DraftBoy
04-30-2011, 10:43 AM

Ignoring what players did in the past because it doesnt fit your argument is not a recipe for success. You must take every year into consideration instead of just one. Hence my use of his career TD:INT ratio as opposed to just 09 or just 2010. Rather be fair in that regard.

SABURZFAN
04-30-2011, 10:53 AM

so you're saying he's another Lossman. i echo the same reply you do. HELL NO!!!!!!

Bufftp
04-30-2011, 11:39 AM
I dont watch highlight clips, and I believe its probably very good, but I live with an Iowa alumni and she makes me watch ever Iowa game. He's just not that good, watch him v. Arizona in 2010, v. Missouri in 2010, v. Indiana in 2009. Keep in mind his career TD:INT ratio is only 1.8:1 which is horrifically low. Well DB there is hope for you yet.

As everyone knows I am big time Hawkeye fan, and I agree with DB on Stanzi. He seems slow in reads and decisions.

SABURZFAN
04-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Well DB there is hope for you yet.

As everyone knows I am big time Hawkeye fan, and I agree with DB on Stanzi. He seems slow in reads and decisions.

just like Lossman.

better days
04-30-2011, 12:04 PM
just like Lossman.

If we could combine Fitz's head with Losmans arm, we would have a franchise QB.