PDA

View Full Version : With the 133rd pick of the 2011 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select...

Michael82
04-30-2011, 12:49 PM
RB Johnny White - North Carolina

http://gridironfans.com/forums/attachments/latest-nfl-headlines/19214d1300483842-north-carolina-rb-johnny-white-rising-draft-johnnywhite.jpg

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/johnny-white?id=2495362

:feedback:

DrGraves
04-30-2011, 12:50 PM
bye bye fred and cj!!!! lol

psubills62
Woof

Michael82
This might just be a value pick, but we don't have anyone behind Spiller. By the way, on NFL.com, it gives the pick a 6.3 grade. That's one of the higher ones in a while.

Luisito23
04-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Now they're back to their old ways...Good thing it starts at the 4th. instead of earlier.

mikemac2001
Now they're back to their old ways...Good thing it starts at the 4th. instead of earlier.

5th?

BILLSROCK1212
well think about when we had injuries at RB towards the end of the season...no good...we needed a RB, just wasn't sure if we needed one in draft or FA

BillsWin
04-30-2011, 12:55 PM
It's 100% value and upside. Fred is also on the older side of a runningbacks life cycle. Good pick in the fifth.

Michael82
04-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Todd McShay loves him. He just said that he's the most underrated RB in the draft. "This guy runs like his hair's on fire" :rofl:

"I love the versatility that Johnny brings to the Buffalo Bills."

The Spaz
04-30-2011, 12:58 PM
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F6uR2827H8o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Michael82
04-30-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm fine with this pick. He'll win the 3rd RB job, IMO.

Michael82
04-30-2011, 01:03 PM
JeffRussoWKBW (http://twitter.com/#!/JeffRussoWKBW) Jeff Russo

#Bills (http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23Bills) Scout-Roth on White - "Very good player. Runs hard in between the tackles. Very good special teamer, great kid"

7 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#!/JeffRussoWKBW/status/64387284031647744)

X-Era
04-30-2011, 01:03 PM
It's 100% value and upside. Fred is also on the older side of a runningbacks life cycle. Good pick in the fifth.My only criticism is that other players may have been better value.

ST's, 3rd RB, tough, nasty runner, I'll take it.

X-Era
04-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Our #3 RB played last year and will play this year.

BertSquirtgum
04-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Todd McShay loves him. He just said that he's the most underrated RB in the draft. "This guy runs like his hair's on fire" :rofl:

"I love the versatility that Johnny brings to the Buffalo Bills."

i just laughed out loud at work when i read this and it's cemetary quiet here.

Jan Reimers
04-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Good pick. He apparently is a hard runner and a very good pass catcher. ESPN (McShay?) called him the most underrated RB in the draft.

Really solidifies the RB position.

Michael82
04-30-2011, 01:10 PM
i just laughed out loud at work when i read this and it's cemetary quiet here.
Me too! I laughed out loud when he said it. :lmao:

Jan Reimers
04-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Those of you that are criticizing a good RB taken in the 5th round might want to rethink things.

Beebe's Kid
04-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Looks like he's got great vision....and his name is Johnny...I like that

Buddo
04-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Seems like good value tbh. We do also need an extra RB for depth, so it's another base covered. Sounds like he's a good STs player too, so will get opportunities to contribute along the way.
I also think that pass catching ability in a RB, is way underrated. Kid seems like he has pretty good hands, so will be able to be used in a variety of ways.
Also sounds like he's another good character, hard working guy.

THRILLHO
04-30-2011, 01:31 PM
(Not criticizing, just observing)

It wouldnt be a draft if the Buffalo Bills didnt draft a RB...

Jan Reimers
04-30-2011, 01:36 PM
(Not criticizing, just observing)

It wouldnt be a draft if the Buffalo Bills didnt draft a RB...
I agree, but they do get dinged up often, and seriously injured on occasion. We ended up with several on last year's roster and practice squad.

This should give us three pretty good ones to start the season, and we may need more.

DraftBoy
04-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Those of you that are criticizing a good RB taken in the 5th round might want to rethink things.

What exactly makes White a good RB though? There were quite a few more productive, more proven, and more experienced RB's on the board. Also does it not concern you that this was UNC's 3rd choice of positions for White to play.

BillyT92679
04-30-2011, 02:06 PM
What exactly makes White a good RB though? There were quite a few more productive, more proven, and more experienced RB's on the board. Also does it not concern you that this was UNC's 3rd choice of positions for White to play.
I just see versatility with this kid.

Jan Reimers
04-30-2011, 02:09 PM
To answer your last question first, it sounds like the guy is a good athlete, to have played DB, WR and RB for a big time program. Maybe the coaches simply determined that he was best at RB.

He seems to run with power, and is said to be an effective pass catcher.

But what I really meant was the fifth round is not a bad time to take a chance on a guy you think has a lot of upside, rather than sticking with more experienced or productive guys who you feel have reached their limits.

I love to take a chance on these kinds of guys - the basketball player turned tight end, the WR turned DB, etc. - in the later rounds.

DraftBoy
04-30-2011, 02:11 PM
To answer your last question first, it sounds like the guy is a good athlete, to have played DB, WR and RB for a big time program. Maybe the coaches simply determined that he was best at RB.

He seems to run with power, and is said to be an effective pass catcher.

But what I really meant was the fifth round is not a bad time to take a chance on a guy you think has a lot of upside, rather than sticking with more experienced or productive guys who you feel have reached their limits.

I love to take a chance on these kinds of guys - the basketball player turned tight end, the WR turned DB, etc. - in the later rounds.

Fair enough but that's a very positive view that can easily be seen the opposite way.

madness
04-30-2011, 02:21 PM
He runs like Fred Jackson.

mysticsoto
05-02-2011, 09:38 AM
I still don't like this pick but it looks like they want different running styles in all 3 strings. FJ the elusive one, CJ the speedy one and now White the hard running one.

From Rotoworld:

Johnny White (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6649/johnny-white) - RB - Bills (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/nfl/buf/bills)

Coach Chan Gailey envisions fifth-rounder Johnny White as a special teamer and backup running back as a rookie.

The Bills like White's versatility, speed, and pass-catching skills. Unlike C.J. Spiller, White runs very hard between the tackles, so they'd probably split carries if Fred Jackson gets injured. His long-term upside is a timeshare back.

justasportsfan
05-02-2011, 10:04 AM

Could it be they value him more than the others because of his special teams play? They not only get a 3rd rb but a gunner that they seem to keep mentioning when talking about him.

Jan Reimers
05-02-2011, 10:15 AM
I still don't like this pick but it looks like they want different running styles in all 3 strings. FJ the elusive one, CJ the speedy one and now White the hard running one.
Yeah, I think White will take over the hard hitting Lynch role, but without the guns, hit and runs, and general thuggery.

EDS
05-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Maybe they are unhappy with Spiller and are looking for a more productive backup to Jackson.

Jan Reimers
05-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Maybe they are unhappy with Spiller and are looking for a more productive backup to Jackson.
It's very possible that Spiller will end up more like a Reggie Bush-like gadget player, running a few specialty plays, splitting out as a receiver, etc., in which case White will get some regular carries behind Jackson.

EDS
05-02-2011, 10:42 AM
It's very possible that Spiller will end up more like a Reggie Bush-like gadget player, running a few specialty plays, splitting out as a receiver, etc., in which case White will get some regular carries behind Jackson.

Let's hope Spiller is better than that.

Jan Reimers
05-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Let's hope Spiller is better than that.
I hope so, but he struggled last year at a position where a lot of guys play well right away.

Bill Cody
05-02-2011, 11:18 AM
This guy reminds me of Marion Barber, north-south guy that runs with aggression. Anything that moves the image of our team to more of a hard nosed blue collar image that fits with Buffalo I'm in favor of. Like the pick.

madness
05-02-2011, 12:32 PM
I've seen a bunch of UNC games as they one of my favorite teams and there were plenty of flashes that reminded me of FJ.

Potential replacement for FJ? :check:
Good chance of sticking on as #3 RB? :check:
potential to be a ST ace? :check:

It's possible that the Bills view him as a potential long-term replacement to Fred Jackson, who turned 30 years old in February. In the short term, however, White does have value on special teams, where he was one of the best gunners in this draft class.

stuckincincy
05-02-2011, 01:11 PM
This might just be a value pick, but we don't have anyone behind Spiller.

Based on Spiller's NFL debut - that's like saying we had no one behind Shaud Williams...

:kid:

Bling
05-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Johnny White ain't bad