PDA

View Full Version : What will we do at OLB this year?

Danny Duberstein
04-30-2011, 08:00 PM
I gotta say, I absolutely loved this draft.

One problem, however, is that we didn't get an OLB (Sheppard will be an ILB in the 3-4, right? And Chris White will be a special teamer). We had so many holes to fill....it was unrealistic to think that we could fill all of them through one draft. But OLB looks like it will be a glaring weakness.

Does anybody know if there are any decent 3-4 OLB's who will hit free agency? Or are we stuck with Merriman, Kelsay, Maybin and Moats?

X-Era
04-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Here's a list:

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2011OLB.php

BillsWin
04-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Merriman and Moats. Don't cross them.

Danny Duberstein
04-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Here's a list:

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2011OLB.php

Sweet, thanks.

Aside from the guys who have been franchised by their respective teams, I'm not really seeing anything too intriguing on that list.

Danny Duberstein
04-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Merriman and Moats. Don't cross them.

I like Moats, but can we really count on Merriman?

wmoz11
04-30-2011, 08:33 PM
5M guaranteed says we had better be able to.

Sounds like they have a lot of confidence in him returning to at least respectable form.

Bangarang
04-30-2011, 08:39 PM
The Bills are saying that Merriman is 100% so we can take that with a grain of salt.

Moats had a few nice moments but if I remember correctly he was terrible in coverage and against the run.

Kelsay is vomit inducing at OLB.

Antonio Coleman is a scrub.

Maybin.....lol

Jammie Kirlew? is he even an OLB? Will he even make the team?

Needless to say, if Merriman isn't healthy, we have very little at OLB.

Danny Duberstein
04-30-2011, 08:39 PM
5M guaranteed says we had better be able to.

Sounds like they have a lot of confidence in him returning to at least respectable form.

5M really wasn't that much for a big-name veteran. I'm glad we signed him, but I'm sure Buddy knows that it was a gamble.

Danny Duberstein
04-30-2011, 08:41 PM
The Bills are saying that Merriman is 100% so we can take that with a grain of salt.

Moats had a few nice moments but if I remember correctly he was terrible in coverage and against the run.

Kelsay is vomit inducing at OLB.

Antonio Coleman is a scrub.

Maybin.....lol

Jammie Kirlew? is he even an OLB? Will he even make the team?

Needless to say, if Merriman isn't healthy, we have very little at OLB.

Right, I feel the same way about all of these guys. I'd love it if Merriman stayed healthy all year, but I really don't expect him to. I like Moats as a rotational guy, but I'd prefer it if he weren't a starter.

delectrolux
04-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Every one of our current D players will be better because of the guys we drafted.

wmoz11
04-30-2011, 08:45 PM
5M is a lot guaranteed for a guy that hasn't played much the last few years. Total value of the contract is 10M. If he is still hurt/horrible in the preseason, he get 5M just to be cut. I think they're banking a lot on him.

Danny Duberstein
04-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Every one of our current D players will be better because of the guys we drafted.

Good point. I guess I'm used to our DLine being terrible.

psubills62
04-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Almost have to wonder if Danny Batten will play both inside and outside.

TigerJ
04-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Clearly, a lot is riding on Merriman being healthy and productive. Buffalo will also get some journeymen back from injury this season, and Batten will play where he is most needed. Buffalo drafted 2 ILBs (though I think Chris White can play some outside) so Bills could easily move Batten back to the outside after telling us they were moving him inside.

Bangarang
04-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Almost have to wonder if Danny Batten will play both inside and outside.

I think he's being groomed as strictly an ILB.

psubills62
04-30-2011, 09:33 PM
That's what I thought, but now we seem to have a plethora of bodies at his position (I think it's called the Ted? - basically the thumper position that keeps blockers off the other guy, who last year was Poz). Chris White seems ticketed for that role, as does Batten and Andra Davis is still signed for another year.

There's a lot of trash on our roster (Ayodele, for example), but it looked like Davis was signed originally to be a fill-in for a year, then a mentor this coming year. Hard to see them keeping three guys at one position, though.

psubills62
04-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Interesting, just listened to the Nix/Gailey press conference on the draft, and Batten was specifically asked about. Here's the line from the transcript:

On if he still sees playing LB <nobr>Danny Battenhttp://www.buffalobills.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/danny-batten/720559f3-70a4-4d92-a049-664577fad3b6/)</nobr> inside:
CG: That’s something that will be determined as time goes on. There’s going to have to be some movement, yes, don’t know which way it’s going to go right now. That’s one of the things that we are considering at this point.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Transcript-Buddy-Nix--Chan-Gailey/df70cece-88a8-4af8-80cc-4f9f93f2f02a

Michael82
05-01-2011, 12:58 AM
I think they want to give Maybin one last chance. They also love Merriman and think he's ready.

CleveSteve
05-01-2011, 01:59 AM
I really liked your draft, but I think the Bills really missed the boat not taking Reed at #34.

Michael82
05-01-2011, 08:37 AM
I really liked your draft, but I think the Bills really missed the boat not taking Reed at #34.
Agreed! But they loved the value of Williams at that point. I do too. He was predicted to go in the first round.

X-Era
05-01-2011, 09:56 AM
I expect a OLB FA whenever free agency starts.

mysticsoto
05-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Saw this tidbit and thought it was interesting:

Per Rotoworld:

Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson believes Bills OLB Arhtur Moats could be "in store for a breakout season" in 2011.

Moats may never be a dominant edge rusher, but Williamson believes he has the motor, build, and athletic ability to start in Buffalo after they failed to address the position in the draft. Coach Chan Gailey called him the most improved player on the team late last season. He'll have to battle Shawne Merriman for snaps, but "Lights Out" is just a silly nickname at this point.

ddaryl
05-03-2011, 01:10 PM
maybe .... just maybe Maybin produces some this year

oldno711
05-03-2011, 01:55 PM
if this group showed us anything this year, it was that they were determined to fill the glaring holes we have on defense by weighing the players we have on our roster against the best talent available. they proved this by drafting dareus in the 1st, and continued this trend throughout the draft.

if they saw olb as a glaring need, they would have drafted an olb.

ayers at #34 -- passed and drafted a versatile db (corner or arguably the best free safety in the draft) who came with a 1st round grade.
houston or m.wilson at #68 -- passed on both and drafted an ilb who will help shore up the middle and help stop the run.
acho at #103 -- passed and drafted searcy (who many have called a potential steal of the later rounds).

i'm not arguing these were the best olb available at the time, i'm arguing the fact that IF buffalo was worried about olb, they were in a position THREE times to address the position. since i have (for a change) the upmost confidence in our draft this year, i can only assume they share the same confidence in merriman, maybin, moats and kelsay. if they didn't, we would have drafted an olb.

my prediction(s):
-our dline performs drastically better this year (with dareus wrecking havoc, kyle playing hard as usual, troup and carrington maturing, and mccargo, edwards and johnson providing depth)
-maybin posts very respectable numbers after two disappointing years
-moats has a great year
-merriman is lights out

Raptor
05-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Batten is my boy, I expect him to surprise a lot of people

mysticsoto
05-03-2011, 02:02 PM
if this group showed us anything this year, it was that they were determined to fill the glaring holes we have on defense by weighing the players we have on our roster against the best talent available. they proved this by drafting dareus in the 1st, and continued this trend throughout the draft.

if they saw olb as a glaring need, they would have drafted an olb.

ayers at #34 -- passed and drafted a versatile db (corner or arguably the best free safety in the draft) who came with a 1st round grade.
houston or m.wilson at #68 -- passed on both and drafted an ilb who will help shore up the middle and help stop the run.
acho at #103 -- passed and drafted searcy (who many have called a potential steal of the later rounds).

i'm not arguing these were the best olb available at the time, i'm arguing the fact that IF buffalo was worried about olb, they were in a position THREE times to address the position. since i have (for a change) the upmost confidence in our draft this year, i can only assume they share the same confidence in merriman, maybin, moats and kelsay. if they didn't, we would have drafted an olb.

my prediction(s):
-our dline performs drastically better this year (with dareus wrecking havoc, kyle playing hard as usual, troup and carrington maturing, and mccargo, edwards and johnson providing depth)
-maybin posts very respectable numbers after two disappointing years
-moats has a great year
-merriman is lights out

McCargo? McCARGO???

Akhippo
05-03-2011, 02:18 PM
If maybin is even on the roster this year, and if he happens to get his first sack, it would be hilarious if the crowd burst into an "MVP" chant.

Dr. Lecter
05-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Batten is my boy, I expect him to surprise a lot of people
He is now playing ILB

Mahdi
05-03-2011, 02:25 PM
He is now playing ILB
I think he will be moved outside as Chan alluded to. He was a good edge rusher in college so no reason why they won't move him back outside now that we are thin at LOLB and have a few bodies inside.

stuckincincy
05-03-2011, 02:38 PM
I gotta say, I absolutely loved this draft.

One problem, however, is that we didn't get an OLB (Sheppard will be an ILB in the 3-4, right? And Chris White will be a special teamer). We had so many holes to fill....it was unrealistic to think that we could fill all of them through one draft. But OLB looks like it will be a glaring weakness.

Does anybody know if there are any decent 3-4 OLB's who will hit free agency? Or are we stuck with Merriman, Kelsay, Maybin and Moats?

They carried a bunch of lbs last year. Partly because of trying out the 3-4, partly because the ones they stocked were iffy.

It will be interesting how many they - and other clubs keep on the roster this season.

I'll offer some speculation.

With the new (on the heels of last years') kick-off rules, it seemed to me that during the draft, the number of lbs selected were less than I was used to seeing. I could be wrong, if somebody wants to tote it up, I'll accept that.

I think that the 3rd string dbs will be filling up roster spots, supplanting the 3rd string lbs for ST duty.

As to starting olbs in a 3-4? I guess they are hoping that Dareus performs as advertised and helps the crew they have.