PDA

View Full Version : Grade the Bills' 2011 draft

Johnny Bugmenot
04-30-2011, 09:00 PM
All right, I understand that this is the draft, and that we probably don't know how this draft will really turn out until a few years down the road, but this is pretty self-explanatory. What grade would you give the Bills for their draft this year?

Feel free to explain yourselves in the thread, what they could've done better, what they overemphasized, overlooked, etc.

As John Dellapelle might say, "wait for poll..."

tcb5033
04-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Love how they totally revamped our defense, but they didn't take an OLB which was a glaring need IMO. I guess we are putting a lot of our eggs in the Merriman basket.

Overall, I think we are a better team now than we were 3 days ago. Well done, Buddy.

Slim
04-30-2011, 09:10 PM
B

I think we got one game changer and hopefully Williams/Shep can be solid starters.

psubills62
04-30-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm having a hard time figuring out how I feel about this draft.

Dareus - absolutely love this pick.
Williams - a bit mystifying, but I had predicted a DB on Day 2, so OK. He seems to have talent and would help our CB depth, but I don't like that he seems to be a tweener.
Sheppard - I'm fine with him. Seems to be a decent pick for ILB, and I know the Bills liked his leadership. Hard to really dislike this pick with so few top ILB's.
Searcy - was a surprise and would seem to be a replacement for Bryan Scott, who is a couple inches taller, but about the same weight. Something of an in-the-box safety who may also play LB in nickel/dime situations.
Hairston - liked this. He's strictly an RT, but it's obvious that's where we need help the most. Also, I tend to prefer mauling run-blockers who are only capable in pass pro.
Johnny White - not my favorite. I understand he's an underrated prospect at a position where we needed depth, but I still think RB depth could be found in undrafted free agency (despite the fact that we can't sign UDFA's yet).
Chris White - liked this, should be a thumper, and seemed to be a leader at Miss State.
Rogers - seems to be a good pick, though I wearied of the DB selections. We do need depth, but my goodness, can't we build it gradually instead of trying to fix it all at once? I'd be fine with this if we then pick 0-1 DB's next year, but seeing what San Diego did year after year with Nix involved, I think DB's will become commonplace. Just shadows of Jauron, especially if they underachieve.
Jasper - this pick was amusing. Really taking the "get bigger" statement to heart. Have to wonder if they see him as anything more than a camp body. Is it a sign that they'll eventually get bigger at NT?

Things I liked:
1. Leaders - Sheppard was a leader, Dareus seems fired up, Chris White was reportedly a leader.
2. Addressed positions of need. Despite what some people think, we had bodies but not talent at CB. We needed CB's, definitely. We needed an RT. We needed a DE. We needed a 3rd RB.
3. Again, avoided one-year wonders. Johnny White comes the closest, but he will probably contribute the most at gunner.
4. Size - we got bigger. I like having maulers on the OL who are average in pass protection - I think that's better than having guys who are finesse players and great in pass pro, but can't get a 3rd/4th and 1 to save their lives. Similar to Baltimore and Pittsburgh's philosophy. Also getting big LB's and DB's that can defend the run.
5. Focus on stopping the run. Last year we got front 7 players who are generally known for being great against the run, but with upside against the pass. While I'm not sure we saw that in their first years, I expect development and hopefully guys like Dareus can help, with Sheppard/White coming along in their first years.

Things I did not like:
1. Favoring of some of the Senior Bowl guys, like Searcy. Was he really a necessary pick? Hard to say if having our staff coach the Senior Bowl was a boon or a curse.
2. Didn't address some obvious needs - more OL depth, TE, QB, and yes, WR. I'm not terribly upset about the last one, though I do think we'll need to address it eventually - but the first three are big mistakes. I'm not sure there was a QB I loved, but we do need depth there.
3. The guys we picked when we did. Addressing certain positions doesn't mean you got the right guys at those positions. I liked a few of them, not so much others.
4. Despite addressing needs, there were some priorities they didn't seem to have right. We really needed to draft a 3rd RB before depth on the OL or a TE? Just baffling at times.
5. Lack of focus on pass rush. Who do we have to rush the passer? Merriman? Moats? Is that it? I guess a talented guy would be wasted with Edwards' awfully predictable blitzes, but we should at least try to get talent at OLB. Not so confident there.
6. EDIT: Would like to add that outside of Dareus, it seems we still have an extreme lack of top-end talent. Obviously we only had one first round pick, but we had high selections every round. Hard to believe we only got relatively solid players everywhere else. This was a sucky draft to be rebuilding.

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts. I want to like this draft, and in some ways I do, but I'm having a tough time fully embracing it.

I have a feeling the positions we'll be addressing next year are: OLB, QB, WR, DE, TE and OL. I rated this draft a C, as it seemed to try to address certain positions, but fell a little short several times.

wmoz11
04-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Not going to vote because I think we're in between an A and a B. Call it a 90%. Only thing keeping it from a solid A is drafting a RB, even if we do need another solid 3rd guy.

EDIT: PSU, I'm always thanking you. And it's not only because you're a Bills and PSU fan. Great stuff.

Bangarang
04-30-2011, 09:30 PM
A-

We pretty much got 4 guaranteed starters out of this draft. Dareus, Williams, Sheppard, & Searcy (I think) along with some much needed depth and ST aces.

mysticsoto
04-30-2011, 09:49 PM
I voted A (thinking an A-) but the more I think about it, the more I think it should be a B+ instead.

They revamped the defense big time with a top DE, top CB and top ILB for their 1st 3 picks. They also focused on getting ballhawks in the secondary, presumably realizing that our pass rush should be much improved. Got a promising OT and intriguing OG for backup. The fact that they didn't get a backup OLB in case the Merriman project doesn't work out as planned lowered my grade slightly and wasting a pick on a 3rd string RB that will only see the field for STs lowers it also. RBs are a dime a dozen and I think they could have found something they wanted in a lower rd if they weren't happy with Quinton Ganther.

All in all though, a very solid draft that should improve the Bills defense right off the bat...that is assuming we have a season.

Ebenezer
04-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Incomplete...see ya in three years after these guys have played.

ServoBillieves
04-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Op or a no name picked the low numbers/fillers. He didn't like the picks and didn't like what they brought to an NFL team.

wmoz11
04-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Incomplete...see ya in three years after these guys have played.

Read the subtext. We all know that drafts can't be evaluated before the guys play. Grade it on paper right now.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-30-2011, 10:44 PM
with 5 potential starters in the first 2 years, i would say this was a home run draft!

tampabay25690
04-30-2011, 11:44 PM
I said B........
Hard to give it an A yet.........
I think they did a great job though..............

Ingtar33
05-01-2011, 02:51 AM
outside of the first pick i was rather underwhelmed by this draft.

the NT/G is a (forgive me for saying this) pig... i couldn't ever dream of drafting a 400 pounder... i don't care what position he plays.

two linebackers, when we could probably could have spent the whole draft on the position. Dear lord... 3DBs (CB, a CB/S hybrid and a S)? a rb... most of whom are special team stars... sometimes i wonder if the bills draft just to vex me.

we needed to shore up the front 7... and what did we get? a NT, 2 MLB, and a guy who is too fat to make the roster, who might not even be drafted to play DL

sorry... we wasted a lot of picks with players we could have found in FA.

Bangarang
05-01-2011, 04:33 AM

the NT/G is a (forgive me for saying this) pig... i couldn't ever dream of drafting a 400 pounder... i don't care what position he plays.

two linebackers, when we could probably could have spent the whole draft on the position. Dear lord... 3DBs (CB, a CB/S hybrid and a S)? a rb... most of whom are special team stars... sometimes i wonder if the bills draft just to vex me.

we needed to shore up the front 7... and what did we get? a NT, 2 MLB, and a guy who is too fat to make the roster, who might not even be drafted to play DL

Ouch. Knowing what we know now as far as how the draft played out. Who would you have taken with each of our picks given the players available?

Go Go Buffalo14574
05-01-2011, 04:37 AM
I like the draft I gave it an A. Loved all of the draft picks :)

SquishDaFish
05-01-2011, 05:57 AM

You do realize Jaspers body fat is low for a 400lb guy yes? Hes more muscle than fat. Just because you hear someone is over 300+ doesnt mean automatically hes FAT

BigZ
05-01-2011, 06:41 AM
I gave it a B, but really a B+. I think we got 2-3 starters and some good quality depth. I think either taking one of the qbs available in 4 or a tight end to address one more need would have made it an A.

Johnny Bugmenot
05-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Considering I put up this thread, I might as well give my opinion.

I would tend to give it a B. I do think that there could've been at least one more pick for the offensive side of the ball somewhere along the lines-- after all, you build through the draft for the long term, not the short. QB is still dangerously thin right now, and let's face it, Brian Brohm has pretty much busted his way out of the NFL for the time being. So, as of now, there are only 2 QBs on this roster. I'd have loved to pick up Mallett instead of Williams in the 2nd, but the Bills staff, by their own admission, didn't feel the same about the guy as I did. Maybe a FA (if it ever opens) and a UDFA body like Devlin can fill out the roster for training camp.

Other than that, given the talent available, the Bills did a very good job. Dareus was the obvious pick, and it's good to see this team be able to make the obvious pick when they have shown a record of not doing so. Though I disagreed with picking Williams at 34, he's a solid CB prospect and will help the aging secondary corps, so I can see their logic. Sheppard was a much needed boost to the ILB corps. I can only hope Hairston, the only offensive player they picked this draft, is able to compete for a starting spot, because that RT position desperately needs help, almost as badly as LT did last year. Michael Jasper is a ****ing mountain, the kind of fat toad I've mentioned before that the team needs to be able to plug up holes in the run game.

Overall, this wasn't a perfect draft, but it was a good one that helps improve this team in the long-term, at least on the defensive side of the ball anyway.

doug45
05-01-2011, 06:58 AM
D-

mayotm
05-01-2011, 07:10 AM
D-I'm assuming that you don't know much about football.

SquishDaFish
05-01-2011, 07:17 AM
D-
Edited for TOS violation. Play nice! ~shelby

tampabay25690
05-01-2011, 07:22 AM
I would like to know who voted POOR and HORENDOUS??????

SquishDaFish
05-01-2011, 07:24 AM
I would like to know who voted POOR and HORENDOUS??????

People who know exactly **** about football and are enamored by wanting a QB in the top 2 rounds.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
05-01-2011, 07:25 AM
I REALLY wanted a QB.... but i DO know football and feel we did the right thing with the draft.

tampabay25690
05-01-2011, 07:26 AM
I think in the draft it was very obvious that the bills did not really care for this QB class.
I think they had a few guys high on there board but were not going to give away picks to get 1.........
Just nice to see that they like FITZ.
Would not surprise me to see them grab 1-2 Free agent QB's when it's time.....
Tavaris Jackson from Minn is 1 guy I would lke to see them bring in......

tampabay25690
05-01-2011, 07:26 AM
People who know exactly **** about football and are enamored by wanting a QB in the top 2 rounds.

I hear that.....

tampabay25690
05-01-2011, 07:29 AM
I REALLY wanted a QB.... but i DO know football and feel we did the right thing with the draft.

I wanted a QB too..
But to see guys that IMO were 3rd round grades go in the 1-2 rounds made me sick.
Im glad the Bills didn't go that route.
Not 1 QB really should start day 1 this coming year.....

Problem is a few of them may get forced to start day 1....

THE END OF ALL DAYS
05-01-2011, 07:37 AM
I would have been dissapointed with von miller.... everyone was high on him but i did not want a 3 to go on a LB... the Dareus pick im happy about

doug45
05-01-2011, 07:49 AM
I'm assuming that you don't know much about football.

I am assuming insults are all you can come up with and that is not what will help the team. You see it every year, what ever the picks are they are the greatest things in the world, and will make all the difference. And if you don't agree the insults fly. But let us look at the last 10+ years...I guess the picks everyone thought were the greatest were a flop. So if a person does not agree with everything management does do not so fast to tear down and insult. Results speak for themselves.

doug45
05-01-2011, 07:51 AM

Agree or die I guess is what this has become.

SquishDaFish
05-01-2011, 07:53 AM
I am assuming insults are all you can come up with and that is not what will help the team. You see it every year, what ever the picks are they are the greatest things in the world, and will make all the difference. And if you don't agree the insults fly. But let us look at the last 10+ years...I guess the picks everyone thought were the greatest were a flop. So if a person does not agree with everything management does do not so fast to tear down and insult. Results speak for themselves.

In the past I agree with you and seeing the experts agree every year makes it all that much more the truth. But This year is not those years and the experts seem to agree. We had a GREAT draft its not like the prior years where everyone had false excitement. This year is REAL EXCITEMENT for a REAL REASON. We had a GREAT DRAFT! Stop basing everything off prior management and prior years and just see we are heading in the right direction FINALLY!!

doug45
05-01-2011, 07:56 AM
You really dont know **** do you?

Is this what this board has become now. We never allowed this kind of thing in the past. If people can do do this it is no longer a respectable place to discuss the team. If you don't agree Insult attack.

Historian
05-01-2011, 07:59 AM
High B.

Not just for the playes selected, but for the front office actually realizing what side of the ball we were lacking on.

Hey....baby steps, right?

Jan Reimers
05-01-2011, 08:21 AM
You can't really rate this draft based on past years' failures. Dareus, for instance, appears to be much higher on the value/need scale than guys like Spiller, Maybin, McKelvin, Whitner, etc.

If you go down the list, I think you'll see that we did a much better job of addressing needs, with quality players, than we've done in many, many years.

better days
05-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Is this what this board has become now. We never allowed this kind of thing in the past. If people can do do this it is no longer a respectable place to discuss the team. If you don't agree Insult attack.

I agree you should not have been attacked in a personal mannor. That said, how can you possibly justify D-? You have not justified that ridiculous grade & there is no way you possibly can.

IMO you put that up that inappropriate grade to get a rise out of people. Well, congratulations.

doug45
05-01-2011, 08:30 AM
You can't really rate this draft based on past years' failures. Dareus, for instance, appears to be much higher on the value/need scale than guys like Spiller, Maybin, McKelvin, Whitner, etc.

If you go down the list, I think you'll see that we did a much better job of addressing needs, with quality players, than we've done in many, many years.

I agree I think we got some people that will help because any pick would have helped from what we have now. But I don't think we addressed the real problem and that is putting points on the board. If you can't score you can't win, that's all I'm saying. We should have looked at both sides of the ball, now we have the O we ended with last year, and a D that's all guys that never played in the NFL. The pro's are a lot different then school ball and most kids don't make the move up and do well. You can hope one maybe will do well but not many do.

doug45
05-01-2011, 08:32 AM
I agree you should not have been attacked in a personal mannor. That said, how can you possibly justify D-? You have not justified that ridiculous grade & there is no way you possibly can.

IMO you put that up that inappropriate grade to get a rise out of people. Well, congratulations.

Look at the last post for my reasons, Thanks

mayotm
05-01-2011, 08:34 AM
I am assuming insults are all you can come up with and that is not what will help the team. You see it every year, what ever the picks are they are the greatest things in the world, and will make all the difference. And if you don't agree the insults fly. But let us look at the last 10+ years...I guess the picks everyone thought were the greatest were a flop. So if a person does not agree with everything management does do not so fast to tear down and insult. Results speak for themselves.We aren't debating what has transpired over the past 10+ years. We are grading this year's draft. Giving it a D- is ridiculous. Based on some of your comments in other threads, you're bent that the Bills didn't take a QB. Should they have taken Gabbert, Locker or Ponder at three over Dareus? I don't think so. Dalton in the second round? He's very similar to Fitz and probably will never be a better player than Fitz. Mallet in the third? He has some upside, but certainly isn't a sure thing. We all want a franchise QB, but there wasn't one to take. Thus, they loaded up on defense. It was the correct thing to do. Again, a D- is an absurd grade.

better days
05-01-2011, 08:35 AM
The Bills took the best player in the draft by most accounts & got great value at picks in the 2nd thu 4 rnds. After that I doubt anyone on this board really knows anything about the players picked except maybe draft boy.

I give this draft an A just like every national grade I have seen for the Bills so far.

better days
05-01-2011, 08:43 AM
I agree I think we got some people that will help because any pick would have helped from what we have now. But I don't think we addressed the real problem and that is putting points on the board. If you can't score you can't win, that's all I'm saying. We should have looked at both sides of the ball, now we have the O we ended with last year, and a D that's all guys that never played in the NFL. The pro's are a lot different then school ball and most kids don't make the move up and do well. You can hope one maybe will do well but not many do.

Putting up points is not the real problem. The Bills put up points last year & will put up more this year. The problem was defense last year & anyone that understands football will tell you that.

Yes the players drafted have never played in the NFL but if they were offensive players that were chosen the same could have been said. The defense needed to be fixed. There are two ways to do that, sign overpriced, flawed free agents or draft talented college players.

tampabay25690
05-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Dareus pick was like X-Mas for the Bills..........

Aaron Williams was a steal.........

mysticsoto
05-01-2011, 09:23 AM

That's kind of harsh, but you have the right to your opinion. Clearly they are expecting alot from Merriman to not draft another top OLB, but they expect Dareus, Kyle, Merriman and even Kelsay (he did play better last year) to be able to generate the pass rush. As such, they improved the interior with some ILBs and ballhawks in the secondary to catch any poorly thrown balls that were carelessly thrown due to a pass rush (yes, there is some assumption there that it is improved now).

As to the Jasper, he may be 400 lbs, but it doesn't mean you should just dismiss him b'cse of size. Ted Washington, Sam Adams...they were big but could move. If this guy can move, I think he could present an interesting challenge to deal with for teams. Even if he can't move...who's going to move him? With a good diet and continued working out, he could be an interesting developement - and I'm all about giving people the opportunity. He's naturally big and most of his weight comes from his natural size - it's not ALL around his waist...

I liked this draft more than I've liked any in a long time. And I'll stand by that...

YardRat
05-01-2011, 11:26 AM
B.

Love the Dareus pick, and Williams/Sheppard could start from Day 1.

We filled some holes on defense, but also wasted a couple of picks in the later rounds that could've been used elsewhere. The first six picks were solid, but would've preferred to see a TE and OLB in White's and Roger's spots.

DraftBoy
05-01-2011, 11:35 AM
You do realize Jaspers body fat is low for a 400lb guy yes? Hes more muscle than fat. Just because you hear someone is over 300+ doesnt mean automatically hes FAT

You realize that's what Gailey says right? Ive actually seen Jasper and I disagree with his spin and assessment. He's not obese over weight but to categorize it as more muscle than fat is a coaching spouting off a sound bite.

DraftBoy
05-01-2011, 11:38 AM
I gave it a D though I will say I think it was more D+/C- range. Just poor middle rounds drafting.

Dareus was fantastic, Rogers was good and Sheppard was good (though a round early, yet again). However the other picks are complete head scratchers that are all reaches and the Bills showing that once again their board is different from most and they don't care. If it pans out its genius, if it doesnt (and it hasnt in recent years) you look foolish, again.

Ingtar33
05-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I gave it a D though I will say I think it was more D+/C- range. Just poor middle rounds drafting.

Dareus was fantastic, Rogers was good and Sheppard was good (though a round early, yet again). However the other picks are complete head scratchers that are all reaches and the Bills showing that once again their board is different from most and they don't care. If it pans out its genius, if it doesnt (and it hasnt in recent years) you look foolish, again.

I think Dareus makes you have to give the draft a B-... he's that good...

what really bothers me is i don't know who the bills would have drafted had Dareus AND Newton been available at no.3... and that scares me (because only a moron would take newton over Dareus, i don't care how bad your QB position is).

I don't really hate the guys the bills drafted... i just felt they (yet again) wasted a LOT of picks on skill players and woefully neglected the front 7 and o-line (again).

I mean how can you draft the best DL in the draft, and still neglect the front 7? Before this draft i couldn't give you an answer to that question. Becasue i wasn't certain it's possible.

The only conclusion i can draw is the bills brain trust thinks the problem with the defense was the DE, not LBer... not sure what they were watching, but the Bills LBing corps has been one of the worst i've seen for 3 seasons now. It didn't get much better either. I hope they're planning to spend some money in FA for a good LBer... we'll need at least 1 more good LBer... probably one more DE as well to shore up that front 7

wmoz11
05-01-2011, 01:35 PM

There is absolutely no way you can know that. Unless you're talking about draftniks and the like; not other teams.

DraftBoy
05-01-2011, 02:01 PM
There is absolutely no way you can know that. Unless you're talking about draftniks and the like; not other teams.

Eh not entirely. Do I know other team's full boards? Nope, but do I know where some other teams graded certain players we drafted? You betcha.

Does that make them right and us wrong? Nope, just shows that we are different, for better or worse.

cookie G
05-01-2011, 02:18 PM
You realize that's what Gailey says right? Ive actually seen Jasper and I disagree with his spin and assessment. He's not obese over weight but to categorize it as more muscle than fat is a coaching spouting off a sound bite.

Drafting him reminds me a bit of the Vikings bringing in Brock Lesnar for a tryout a few years ago.

A long shot, if it works, great, if not, there isn't much invested.

If nothing else, we haven't had a 7th round draft choice talked about so much for years.

doug45
05-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Putting up points is not the real problem. The Bills put up points last year & will put up more this year.

That is my point they didn't put up points, here are the last 6 games. 7,3,17,13,14, 16is a 11.6 point average. They had a game or two they did better but that is the problem I am worried about. Pretty much the same O as last season, how are they going to change that much. I think Fitz is an OK QB and would make a pretty good Back Up, but what if he gets hurt then what? My worry about the D is that if the same thing happens as last year and the they are on the field80%of the time , the best will get worn out and that's when we get scored on.

psubills62
05-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Ingtar, I can sort of understand what you're saying about the front 7. But at the same time, we drafted 2 LB's and 2 DL last year. This year they drafted 2 LB's and 1-2 DL (not sure if I want to count that last guy). That's 8 front 7 guys in two years. They've certainly focused on that position...it's just a matter of if those guys are truly talented enough to be the solution to our front 7 problem.

Nix and Gailey seem to have addressed our front 7 much more than Jauron ever did.

As far as the DB's go...we drafted 3 this year and zero last year. That's an average of 1.5 per year. Last year there were 52 DB's selected and this year there were ~53 (I counted them, but now can't remember exactly). That's more than 1.5 per year per team. Other teams tend to draft those guys too, it's not just us.

Considering Nix said in his PC that you're always going to need 1 CB, maybe 2, AND considering San Diego's draft history when he was there indicates CB is always a high priority (drafted high and drafted a lot of them), I don't think we're going to see them stop drafting DB's any time soon.

YardRat
05-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Build from the inside-out. Simple to understand, easy to follow, will bring the best results.

mysticsoto
05-01-2011, 05:28 PM

Just curious, but do you grade each rd with equal weight? In my opinion, I always give more weight to the 1st 3 rds - where you can usually get good enough people to start. Rds 4-7 I grade on a curve. For example...if the Bills had drafted Gabbert instead of Dareus, but everything else remained the same, my draft grade would have likely dropped to a C+. 1st rd is crucial, and I consider Gabbert ok, but not the top problem we have or need.

I myself would have preferred some of the talents that fell to have been taken - Bowers being one of them, but I'll give them the A-/B+ based on what they did in the 1st 3.

mysticsoto
05-01-2011, 05:37 PM
I think Dareus makes you have to give the draft a B-... he's that good...

what really bothers me is i don't know who the bills would have drafted had Dareus AND Newton been available at no.3... and that scares me (because only a moron would take newton over Dareus, i don't care how bad your QB position is).

I don't really hate the guys the bills drafted... i just felt they (yet again) wasted a LOT of picks on skill players and woefully neglected the front 7 and o-line (again).

I mean how can you draft the best DL in the draft, and still neglect the front 7? Before this draft i couldn't give you an answer to that question. Becasue i wasn't certain it's possible.

The only conclusion i can draw is the bills brain trust thinks the problem with the defense was the DE, not LBer... not sure what they were watching, but the Bills LBing corps has been one of the worst i've seen for 3 seasons now. It didn't get much better either. I hope they're planning to spend some money in FA for a good LBer... we'll need at least 1 more good LBer... probably one more DE as well to shore up that front 7

It is clear that the FO feels they shored up the inside between Poz, Batten and the 2 LBs they took (Yay! We can finally dump Ellison). But for pass rushing, they are clearly putting their stock into Merriman being fully recovered and healthy. Kelsay did play better last year after his surgery, so maybe I've been a little too harsh on him - but I want to see him repeat that performance before I give him any glory. And clearly they are giving Maybin a chance based on potential - though nobody here really is expecting much from him. We basically are relying on Merriman coming back to form. if not, the gist of the pass rush will fall on Kyle & Dareus which is still better than last yr. And we'll have to hope that Carrington improves also (which he may given he's had a year to sit & learn). But if Merriman doesn't contribute much, we'll have the consolation of being in the mix to draft Luck next yr.

Dr. Lecter
05-01-2011, 05:39 PM
I think they are also counting on Moats to improve, Mystic.

One thing that will help all of the LBs (at least in theory) is Dareus eating up the OL. Poz and the rest of the LBs will not be blocked by the guards all of the time now.

Hopefully.

mysticsoto
05-01-2011, 05:58 PM
I think they are also counting on Moats to improve, Mystic.

One thing that will help all of the LBs (at least in theory) is Dareus eating up the OL. Poz and the rest of the LBs will not be blocked by the guards all of the time now.

Hopefully.

Perhaps he can contribute more than I expect. He reminds me a bit of Bryan Scott. Solid, but not elite. Which is okay. Not everybody on any team in the league is elite. He seems to be pretty good against the run more than in pass rushing and should probably be used accordingly.

psubills62
05-01-2011, 06:00 PM
As I've said before, DL tend to make a jump going from their rookie to "sophomore" years. I'm a little more confident that Carrington will manage that jump than Troup at this point, but I'm intrigued by both. If we can get those guys to eat up blockers along with Dareus, I think our LB corps will play better. Though they'll always suck if Kelsay is out there. He's proven time and again that he can't make a tackle even if he's completely unblocked. Pathetic.

Now that they've got other leadership guys, I sure hope Kelsay is gone after a year or two with a contract that is...I want to say it's backloaded.

Dr. Lecter
Perhaps he can contribute more than I expect. He reminds me a bit of Bryan Scott. Solid, but not elite. Which is okay. Not everybody on any team in the league is elite. He seems to be pretty good against the run more than in pass rushing and should probably be used accordingly.
You think Moats is better against the run than he is rushing the passer?

Rushing the passer is the only think he can do.

And I agree that not everybody can be elite. I am not sure where you got that out what I said.

All I said was that I think the coaches expect a second year player, who changed positions twice last year, to improve this year.

I do not think that is unreasonable.

mysticsoto
I wish those that scored an F for the grade would explain how they came about that grade!

mysticsoto
05-01-2011, 06:06 PM
You think Moats is better against the run than he is rushing the passer?

Rushing the passer is the only think he can do.

And I agree that not everybody can be elite. I am not sure where you got that out what I said.

All I said was that I think the coaches expect a second year player, who changed positions twice last year, to improve this year.

I do not think that is unreasonable.

I'm just saying it is unrealistic to think that everyone last year is going to improve. And I was saying he was better against the run b'cse he always seem to do better at tackling and always seemed late to get to the QB. He's also a good size for tackling at 250 lbs.

Regardless, it is not unreasonable - let's hope he does improve. I'm worried that the Merriman project could fail...

Dujek
05-01-2011, 06:24 PM
I give it a solid B, heading towards a B+

Dareus and Williams are great picks, Sheppard, Searcy and Hairston could all see significant playing time, Chris White could be a diamond in the rough and really that's what you're after in the 6th round. The other three picks though, Johnny White is a dime a dozen RB, could have used the pick on another OL or a TE and picked up a RB as an UDFA, Justin Rogers likely won't make the roster, and I suppose taking a massive punt on a freakishly athletic huge specimen is OK with the 245th pick, so I understand taking Jasper.

Philagape
05-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Nix hasn't neglected the front 7 at all. In the first three rounds of his two drafts, four out of six picks were in the front 7.
Both OLBs were his signings. Assuming Dareus and Sheppard start, the only front 7 starters he hasn't had a hand in are Poz and Williams. Question his choices if you like, but he hasn't ignored it. The front 7 is largely his after two offseasons.

psubills62
05-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Nix hasn't neglected the front 7 at all. In the first three rounds of his two drafts, four out of six picks were in the front 7.
Both OLBs were his signings. Assuming Dareus and Sheppard start, the only front 7 starters he hasn't had a hand in are Poz and Williams. Question his choices if you like, but he hasn't ignored it. The front 7 is largely his after two offseasons.
Agree. If people don't agree with who he's taken to fill the front 7, fine, I understand. But to simply say he hasn't addressed it at all...that's a tad hard to figure out. Maybe he hasn't addressed it as much as people would like, which is also reasonable.

mysticsoto
05-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Gregg Rosenthal doesn't seem to be impressed with our draft, although he gives us a decent grade:

Buffalo Bills

3. Marcell Dareus (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/6472/Marcell-Dareus), defensive tackle, Alabama.
34. Aaron Williams (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/6444/Aaron-Williams), cornerback, Texas.
68. Kelvin Sheppard (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/6620/Kelvin-Sheppard), linebacker, LSU.
100. Da'Norris Searcy, safety, UNC.
122. Chris Hairston (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/6643/Chris-Hairston), tackle, Clemson.
133. Johnny White (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/6649/Johnny-White), running back, UNC.
169. Chris White (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/3483/Chris-White), linebacker, Mississippi St.
206. Justin Rogers (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4357/Justin-Rogers), cornerback, Richmond.
245. Michael Jasper (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/6749/Michael-Jasper), defensive tackle, Bethel (TN.)

Overview: The Bills lucked out that Dareus fell to them at No. 3, and they smartly snapped him up. They passed on grooming a quarterback of the future at No. 34 with good options on the board to take a possible tweener in Aaron Williams (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/6444/Aaron-Williams) from Texas.

Sheppard is typical of this solid, unspectacular draft. He'll help the Bills, but his ceiling is limited. The first four picks were on defense as the Bills try to play catch-up after an ill advised move to a 3-4 defense. They need to hit on more picks after a weak overall draft last year.

Grade: B-
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/37855/174/afc-draft-grades

jills
05-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Poor

ddaryl
05-02-2011, 11:13 AM
my initial reaction is A.. We really beefed up our D.

We got arguably the best player in this draft in Dareus, and got great value on our 2nd 3rd and 4th rd picks... After that it's a hard call, but the Bills have always seem to find a late round gem or 2...

looking forward to some FA to get us a backup QB a RT and a TE upgrade

EDS
05-02-2011, 11:19 AM
B-.

Love the Dareus pick - fortunately even these guys didn't screw this one up.

The rest is a bunch of blah. I don't see Williams as a starting corner early in his career, and if he ends up at safety, then I think this was a huge reach.

I like Sheppard, but feel the linebacker corps in general needs additional high level upgrades. Instead, the front office is crossing its fingers that one or two low level draft picks or veteran castoffs can fill the talent gaps.

I personally would not waste a draft pick on a 3rd string running back and I have doubts Searcy can beat out some of the other safeties on the roster.

stuckincincy
05-02-2011, 11:45 AM
A solid above-average...a B. What else could it be with CAR and DEN passing on Dareus?

CBS's Rob Rang had 4 teams as average - C. So much for the definition of "average" He's the same as the other pundits. Year in and out, there are all these grade-inflation rankings. :crush:

I would have liked them to have picked another OL higher, and not go for 3 dbs. But I guess that's what the pass-happy NFL rules make a team do these days.

Myself, I would have selected that boulder, Paea, in the #2 spot.