PDA

View Full Version : Does Searcy start?

BillsWin
05-01-2011, 09:23 AM
I've seen a lot of excitement about this Bills' draft class. I've also read many Bills fans declaring that we drafted four starters.

They list Dareus, Williams, Sheppard and Hairston as our potential rookie starters. I would add Searcy to the mix.

If Donte Whitner is gone, which I believe he will be, then the competition is thin at strong safety. George Wilson has been great in relief duty and might get the nod in one of the top safety slots. But I don't think it's out of the relm of possibilities for a kid like Searcy to step in and start as a rookie.

A couple of quotes I read this morning on our newest SS are that he was the second best safety on Kiper's list and that the NFL Network analysts believe he will start next to Byrd giving Buffalo a "solid duo".

From what I hear the kid has great size and loves to play in run support. He is a workout addict with great character and is willing to do anything to help his team win.

Wouldn't it be great if we got five starters out of one draft?

Only time will tell but everything I'm seeing from Searcy indicates he has a CHANCE to eventually be a starter in this league and Buffalo has a good opportunity for him.

Pardon any typos. I'm on my phone.

SquishDaFish
05-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Agree with you man.

X-Era
05-01-2011, 09:48 AM
I've seen a lot of excitement about this Bills' draft class. I've also read many Bills fans declaring that we drafted four starters.

They list Dareus, Williams, Sheppard and Hairston as our potential rookie starters. I would add Searcy to the mix.

If Donte Whitner is gone, which I believe he will be, then the competition is thin at strong safety. George Wilson has been great in relief duty and might get the nod in one of the top safety slots. But I don't think it's out of the relm of possibilities for a kid like Searcy to step in and start as a rookie.

A couple of quotes I read this morning on our newest SS are that he was the second best safety on Kiper's list and that the NFL Network analysts believe he will start next to Byrd giving Buffalo a "solid duo".

From what I hear the kid has great size and loves to play in run support. He is a workout addict with great character and is willing to do anything to help his team win.

Only time will tell but everything I'm seeing from Searcy indicates he has a CHANCE to eventually be a starter in this league and Buffalo has a good opportunity for him.

Pardon any typos. I'm on my phone.I think chances are good that Whitner will be here next year; I think he will be a restricted FA. Wilson was resigned. Byrd is still here. Corto was resigned. So, Searcy has an uphill battle to be a starter. However, I think it's likely that he will play.

PTI
05-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Going to be dreadful on pass defense with Byrd and Searcy. Hope we can get to the passer.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-01-2011, 10:45 AM
most likely with the new cba ufa will start after 5 years so donte is gone. i think because searcy has great talent and run stopping/cover ability he will start with scott/wilson as backups

DraftBoy
05-01-2011, 11:29 AM

Pardon any typos. I'm on my phone.

Not to offend but many fans are stupid then.

We drafted one maybe two starters and even at this point its rushing it to assume Dareus will start. We still have Edwards and last year's rookie Carrington ahead of him.

X-Era
05-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Going to be dreadful on pass defense with Byrd and Searcy. Hope we can get to the passer.
CB- McKelvin, Williams
CB- McGee, Corner, Rogers
SS- Whitner, Searcy, Scott, Corto
FS- Byrd, Wilson

I see a solid starting group with quality prospects and experienced backups. Personally I think you're way off.

YardRat
05-01-2011, 11:42 AM
No...He'll back up Wilson. Whitner is gone. To be honest, I don't see much difference between Searcy and Donte at this point, other than the round they were drafted in.

We drafted one maybe two starters and even at this point its rushing it to assume Dareus will start. We still have Edwards and last year's rookie Carrington ahead of him.

Not to be equally offensive, but anybody that doesn't believe Dareus will be a starter (barring injury) is just as stupid. Pencil him in now.

Williams? maybe not...he'd have to beat out McGee or McKelvin, and I could see that duo on the field to start and Williams playing nickel. Hell, he might eventually be moved to safety with Searcy, it's not like Byrd did anything last season to be considered a given in the starting line-up.

Sheppard? He should, but I think his status depends more on the POS than it does his own ability.

Searcy and Hairston? No.

DraftBoy
05-01-2011, 11:46 AM
No...He'll back up Wilson. Whitner is gone. To be honest, I don't see much difference between Searcy and Donte at this point, other than the round they were drafted in.

Not to be equally offensive, but anybody that doesn't believe Dareus will be a starter (barring injury) is just as stupid. Pencil him in now.

Williams? maybe not...he'd have to beat out McGee or McKelvin, and I could see that duo on the field to start and Williams playing nickel. Hell, he might eventually be moved to safety with Searcy, it's not like Byrd did anything last season to be considered a given in the starting line-up.

Sheppard? He should, but I think his status depends more on the POS than it does his own ability.

Searcy and Hairston? No.

I agree its likely, but you're talking about guys who haven't played a snap in the NFL to assume the dominance Dareus showed at Bama will translate into the NFL from Day 1 is not fair to yourselves or Dareus. Give the kid time he may need six weeks, he may need a year to develop. We don't know that yet, the point is assuming he will start then calling him a bust (not you, collective fan base) if he doesn't is asinine.

YardRat
05-01-2011, 12:08 PM
I agree its likely, but you're talking about guys who haven't played a snap in the NFL to assume the dominance Dareus showed at Bama will translate into the NFL from Day 1 is not fair to yourselves or Dareus. Give the kid time he may need six weeks, he may need a year to develop. We don't know that yet, the point is assuming he will start then calling him a bust (not you, collective fan base) if he doesn't is asinine.

I don't expect him to be dominant right from the get-go, but that isn't going to keep him out of the starting line-up in favor of Edwards or Carrington.

camelcowboy
05-01-2011, 12:12 PM
I agree its likely, but you're talking about guys who haven't played a snap in the NFL to assume the dominance Dareus showed at Bama will translate into the NFL from Day 1 is not fair to yourselves or Dareus. Give the kid time he may need six weeks, he may need a year to develop. We don't know that yet, the point is assuming he will start then calling him a bust (not you, collective fan base) if he doesn't is asinine.You don't draft him 3rd overall for him to sit. Ready or not he will start. You just have to assume him playing against the best talent in the nation and him being in a pro style system will make him ready.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-01-2011, 12:36 PM
i personally think that dareus, williams, sheppard, searcy, and hairston will all start. jmo

TigerJ
05-01-2011, 01:30 PM
What do our arm chair scouts say about Hairston versus Pears. Is Hairston really ready to start and play better than Pears? I know Pears is no all pro, but I do understand the Bills like him.

Concerning Searcy, I don't see him as a starter right away. Buffalo has 3 decent safeties on the roster now in Byrd, Wilson, and Scott (assuming Whitner is a goner). I know we won't confuse Wilson or Scott with Ed Reed, but they do play with discipline and even make an occasional big play.

DraftBoy
05-01-2011, 01:58 PM
I don't expect him to be dominant right from the get-go, but that isn't going to keep him out of the starting line-up in favor of Edwards or Carrington.

But what you're saying/implying is that regardless of if he can handle it or not, or regardless if he is even ready you want him starting. That mind set is not something I can agree with ever.

Raptor
05-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Wilson will beat him out

wmoz11
05-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Byrd-Wilson

McKelvin McGee

Merriman-Poz-Sheppard-Kelsay

Dareus-Williams-Edwards

That's my best guess (obviously FA is still to come) right now. Aaron Williams will play in nickel packages. Reggie Corner will join him in dime.

One of the ILB spots could go to Davis, depending on Sheppard during camp and re-signing Poz.

psubills62
05-01-2011, 03:20 PM
To be completely honest, if this draft is going to be good, it's going to be down the road. Dareus is the only one that I see making an impact immediately (outside of ST's, anyway).

We may have drafted future starters, but it's a little early to say that. Searcy won't start, Williams shouldn't start yet (CB's drafted anywhere take at least a year to become good, usually), etc. Sheppard may end up starting some games this year, but that's about it.

Mad Max
05-01-2011, 05:23 PM
To be completely honest, if this draft is going to be good, it's going to be down the road. Dareus is the only one that I see making an impact immediately (outside of ST's, anyway).

We may have drafted future starters, but it's a little early to say that. Searcy won't start, Williams shouldn't start yet (CB's drafted anywhere take at least a year to become good, usually), etc. Sheppard may end up starting some games this year, but that's about it.
I like the guys size for SS. He'd be our biggest DB by far at 223 lbs. If we can develop him he could become a wrecking ball in the middle. But to think he's going to come right in and start would be very premature.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tKMOHsTATyI" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="640"></iframe>

psubills62
05-01-2011, 06:02 PM
I like the guys size for SS. He'd be our biggest DB by far at 223 lbs. If we can develop him he could become a wrecking ball in the middle. But to think he's going to come right in and start would be very premature.

Yeah...I think he needs to develop a little, but once he does, he could play a couple different roles - in-the-box safety or nickel ILB (like Bryan Scott played). It seems he's better against the run than in coverage, so I'd try to minimize the coverage he has to play.

mysticsoto
05-01-2011, 09:03 PM
What do our arm chair scouts say about Hairston versus Pears. Is Hairston really ready to start and play better than Pears? I know Pears is no all pro, but I do understand the Bills like him.

Concerning Searcy, I don't see him as a starter right away. Buffalo has 3 decent safeties on the roster now in Byrd, Wilson, and Scott (assuming Whitner is a goner). I know we won't confuse Wilson or Scott with Ed Reed, but they do play with discipline and even make an occasional big play.

It looks like Pears has the inside track though I feel Cordaro Howard held his own very well last year after the disaster of Cornell Green finally went down with an injury and was removed. Hairston needs to work on his flexibility or they'll run circles around him. But he's got great potential.

And I agree that Wilson will likely start and Searcy will be put in once he's ready. Wilson is just average though, so I hope Searcy comes along quickly.

Dr. Lecter
05-01-2011, 09:06 PM

Edwards?

We both know he is a giant pile of meh, rolled in average and reaking of mediocrity.

And I am not really sure who starts ahead of Sheppard either.

Aoydele is going. Davis sucks. Sheppard and Poz are likely starters

Saratoga Slim
05-01-2011, 09:06 PM
You can say that we drafted starters without meaning that they are going to start from day 1

Thief
05-02-2011, 01:10 AM
I think he makes our STs better.

ddaryl
05-02-2011, 11:15 AM
a couple of immediate starters and some solid depth and future starters and the usual possibility of a few future late round finds...

Our D is definitely looking better after the draft...

k-oneputt
05-02-2011, 11:20 AM

LOL, your joking right ?
I know he has to "earn" his position.
Really, Carrington is gonna start over Dareus.:zonelunch

justasportsfan
05-02-2011, 11:28 AM
You don't draft him 3rd overall for him to sit. Ready or not he will start. You just have to assume him playing against the best talent in the nation and him being in a pro style system will make him ready.

Gailey has stated over and over again, you have to earn your job. They are hoping they drafted a guy that can earn the job right away but I doubt he gets it by default based on where he was drafted. Spiller was not the starter

better days
05-02-2011, 11:39 AM
If Dareus is not the starter when the whistle blows on opening day, I will be very surprised & everyone else should be as well.