PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo a draft winner- Sports Illustrated

FlyingDutchman
05-01-2011, 10:31 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/04/30/nfl.draft.saturday/index.html?cnn=yes&hpt=T2

Well this is refreshing

Buffalo-

The Bills didn't get tricky, they just got better. They needed help on defense, and got plenty of it. They resisted the urge to take a quarterback in the early rounds and focused like a laser on improving their run defense, which finished last in the NFL in 2010 with almost 170 yards allowed per game. Alabama defensive tackle Marcell Dareus was one of the elite players in this draft, and the Bills made him their pick at No. 3 overall.
But Texas cornerback Aaron Williams in the second round and LSU linebacker Kelvin Sheppard in the third round were inspired choices as well, with both players representing great values. The impressive talent haul continued on Saturday, drafting versatile North Carolina strong safety Da'Norris Searcy of North Carolina and a big, tall right offensive tackle prospect in the fourth round, Clemson's Chris Hairston. Fifth-round running back Johnny White of North Carolina was another well-received selection for a Buffalo team that already proved it could do some damage on offense last season.

YardRat
05-01-2011, 10:36 AM
We could've told them that.

FlyingDutchman
05-01-2011, 10:43 AM
anyone have ESPN insider?

PTI
05-01-2011, 10:44 AM
It is a complete farce Bills did damage on offense last year. They were 28th in scoring, 17.7 a game, and only scored over 19 points only 4 times.

FlyingDutchman
05-01-2011, 10:55 AM
It is a complete farce Bills did damage on offense last year. They were 28th in scoring, 17.7 a game, and only scored over 19 points only 4 times.

We also had 9 games where 34 points or MORE were scored on us. This team wasnt going to be fixed in one draft

mikemac2001
05-01-2011, 11:08 AM

we also couldn't stop the other team

which put us at a huge disadvantage

D helps O

SquishDaFish
05-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Dont try explaining it to PTI he is blinded with the notion that we Did NOTHING to help the Offense LOL

ddaryl
05-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Our D needed help badly... Getting better on D is a great thing

I saw our very young O show some definite flashes last year....

and I also fully expect some offseason FA action where some O help will be found.

Mike
05-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Buffalo-
The Bills didn't get tricky, they just got better. They needed help on defense, and got plenty of it. They resisted the urge to take a quarterback in the early rounds and focused like a laser on improving their run defense, which finished last in the NFL in 2010 with almost 170 yards allowed per game. Alabama defensive tackle Marcell Dareus was one of the elite players in this draft, and the Bills made him their pick at No. 3 overall.
But Texas cornerback Aaron Williams in the second round and LSU linebacker Kelvin Sheppard in the third round were inspired choices as well, with both players representing great values. The impressive talent haul continued on Saturday, drafting versatile North Carolina strong safety Da'Norris Searcy of North Carolina and a big, tall right offensive tackle prospect in the fourth round, Clemson's Chris Hairston. Fifth-round running back Johnny White of North Carolina was another well-received selection for a Buffalo team that already proved it could do some damage on offense last season.

I hope that this throws out the silly notion that the mass media and ESPN hate the Bills. I hear this all the time every time someone criticizes the Bills, "the media hates us" etc.... Please realize that its BS, no media hates the Bills there is no reason to, and now that the Bills didn't -for once- out think themselves and had a good draft they are getting the accolades and attention that comes with making good rational decisions opposed to the bogus ones the organization has been making for the last 10+years.

malvado78
05-01-2011, 11:12 AM

Do you copy and paste this post into the different threads?

Luisito23
05-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Anyone with 1/2 a brain should know that the reason we had the #3 pick was not because of our offense, or because of Fitz.

Nix, and company did a great job in the draft, and it's refreshing to see the media recognize that as well.

methos4ever
05-01-2011, 11:14 AM
If you'd like a taste of the negative, visit walterfootball. To him, the draft was an abject failure with no qb.

SquishDaFish
05-01-2011, 11:15 AM
If you'd like a taste of the negative, visit walterfootball. To him, the draft was an abject failure with no qb.

PTI prob is the author :roflmao:

SquishDaFish
05-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Anyone with 1/2 a brain should know that the reason we had the #3 pick was not because of our offense, or because of Fitz.

Nix, and company did a great job in the draft, and it's refreshing to see the media recognize that as well.

Awesome post bro :clap:

methos4ever
05-01-2011, 11:18 AM
One of the things I thought of this morning is that the Bills made a focus not only in their 3-4 base to be more stout against the run, but also in the various versions of nickel they run (Big Nickel w/3 safeties, traditional 3-4/4-3 versions). So while they can still blitz and be effective vs the pass, the run game won't be as compromised as last year.

And if a team wants to try and straight up run at them in run formations, they can't shift anymore to find a side that isn't stout.

FlyingDutchman
05-01-2011, 12:45 PM
If youre around a TV right now ESPN is about to have a summary of the draft for the AFC East

wmoz11
05-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Best draft according to McShay.

EDIT: In AFC East.

OpIv37
05-01-2011, 12:51 PM
While it is nice to see a good review of the draft for once, I have to point one thing out:

In past years, when I have been critical of the draft immediately afterward, I was told that it takes 2 years to evaluate a draft class.

If that applies to drafts that initially look bad, it should also apply to drafts that initially look good.

Michael82
05-01-2011, 01:07 PM
While it is nice to see a good review of the draft for once, I have to point one thing out:

In past years, when I have been critical of the draft immediately afterward, I was told that it takes 2 years to evaluate a draft class.

If that applies to drafts that initially look bad, it should also apply to drafts that initially look good.
So...you are normally bashing our draft. What did u think of it this time?

OpIv37
05-01-2011, 01:10 PM
So...you are normally bashing our draft. What did u think of it this time?

I'm pretty happy with it. I definitely like Dareus as the #3 overall, and I like that we went heavy on D. I'm not sure what to think about all the DB's, but I do think DB is a less obvious need for this team, given that Whitner and Florence are FA's, McGee is old and McKelvin hasn't turned into the star we had hoped.

I'm hoping some of the LB's can contribute immediately since that's such a huge hole, but that might be too optimistic.

!Papacrunk!
05-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Good draft you guys, I hope your DT doesn't live up to his spot but we know that won't be happening lol

TigerJ
05-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Season long, the Bills did not have a good year statistically on offense, but they did have some very strong games. They need their line to continue developing. They picked up Erik Pears late in the season, and he is worlds better than Cornell Green. Demetrius Bell is far from a great left tackle, but he improved last season from the year before, and if he can continue that he should be serviceable at least. The interior of the line is going to be fine. Hopefully, with better protection, Fitz will be a little less prone to wild throws and missreads and CJ Spiller will have improved his blitz pickup to the point where Buffalo can stick him in for a few more plays. I thought they should have picked up a tight end, but there should be improvement just with the guys they already have.

It was defense where they've needed a major personnel upgrade. They certainly got that in the draft. However, they will probably get immediate help from only three draftees on defense; Dareus (of course), Williams and and Sheppard. Chris White is going to be a special teamer early in his career. Rogers might play some dime packages and do some return work. Jaspers is a project plain and simple. Searcy's role on the team depends on what happens to Whitner. If Whitner goes, they I think we might see a little of Searcy on run downs, but they'l probably sub Wilson or Scott in on passing downs.

TigerJ
05-01-2011, 01:22 PM

Absolutely. We all have our emotional reactions just as we have our preconceived notions heading into the draft. Some of those will be borne out by experience later on, but some of what we believe or hope now will turn out to be completely in left field.

Mad Max
05-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Mr. Walter meet Mr. Deez Nutz

paranoid
05-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Good draft you guys, I hope your DT doesn't live up to his spot but we know that won't be happening lol

I like the Pouncey pick for you guys; it will be interesting to see if he is as good as his twin brother.

baalworship
05-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Teddy Bruschi praised the Bills draft and said we closed the gap in the division. The world is ending.

justasportsfan
05-01-2011, 10:08 PM
2 of those games were with Trent.

The difference between the bills and teams like the packers and steelers was 1 TD per game with both teams having a way better defence than the bills. While the O needs a lot of work, what kept us from beating the steelers and ravens was defense. Not offense.

Scumbag College
05-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Teddy Bruschi praised the Bills draft and said we closed the gap in the division. The world is ending.

This is the first time in my life that I don't hate Bruschi with every iota of my soul.

Bangarang
05-01-2011, 11:15 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__FIaozgXAJA/SnXYz_7ZJLI/AAAAAAAAAAw/A5l5raEaXnM/s1600/FEELS%2BGOOD%2BMAN%2BDOG%2BTEXT.jpg

BertSquirtgum
05-01-2011, 11:46 PM

:loser: