PDA

View Full Version : Let's re-visit the 2010 draft

YardRat
05-01-2011, 12:29 PM
1. CJ Spiller, RB - Obviously not going anywhere, but I said it then and I'll reiterate-he's never going to be an every down back and the best we can hope for is some explosion as a change of pace guy and some better production in the passing game. His impact for the team in the future was actually down-graded with the rules changes for kick-offs.

2. Torrell Troup, NT - One more season of grooming under KW, and then he should be ready to assume the starting position next year.

3. Alex Carrington, DE - Probably in a similar boat as Troup...One more season behind Edwards and then the starting line-up next season (Carrington/Troup/Dareus doesn't sound too bad to me)

4. Marcus Easley, WR - Evans and Parrish will be back. Johnson and Nelson will be also. He's going to have to beat out Jones, Roosevelt AND Hubbard for a spot. Sorry, but Rosey and Hubbard are gone, and if Easley wants to make the squad he'll have to hope the team carries 6 wide-outs or he can overcome Jones' contributions on ST's. With some of the ST talent added in the '11 draft possibly replacing Jones, I think he does it.

5. Ed Wang - IMO he's getting cut.

6a. Arthur Moats LB - He'll make the team again, and his contribution/status will depend heavily on Merriman's health, Kelsay's progress, and Maybin getting his head out of his ass finally (which is doubtful)

6b. Danny Batten LB - Possible versatility to play inside and outside may save him a spot, but don't be surprised if he's a final cut.

7a. Levi Brown, QB - He'll carry the clipboard again this season, apparently.

7b. Kyle Calloway, OT - Cut last season and not coming back.

Not bad. 8 of 9 made the team in some fashion last year, and at least 6 (really, possibly all 8 but I don't think likely) should return again this season.

We could get three starters from this group for next, and if Dareus, Williams, Sheppard, and maybe even Searcy and/or Hairston can crack the line-up in '12, that would be a minmum of 8 starters in two drafts. I can live with that for the first two years of the Nix/Gailey era.

GreedoII
05-01-2011, 03:04 PM
1. CJ Spiller, RB - Obviously not going anywhere, but I said it then and I'll reiterate-he's never going to be an every down back and the best we can hope for is some explosion as a change of pace guy and some better production in the passing game. His impact for the team in the future was actually down-graded with the rules changes for kick-offs.-I expect better prdocution out of this guy. He needs to learn how to block and he can be more on the field.

2. Torrell Troup, NT - One more season of grooming under KW, and then he should be ready to assume the starting position next year.- I expect him on the rotation this yr a lot more.

3. Alex Carrington, DE - Probably in a similar boat as Troup...One more season behind Edwards and then the starting line-up next season (Carrington/Troup/Dareus doesn't sound too bad to me)-See above

4. Marcus Easley, WR - Evans and Parrish will be back. Johnson and Nelson will be also. He's going to have to beat out Jones, Roosevelt AND Hubbard for a spot. Sorry, but Rosey and Hubbard are gone, and if Easley wants to make the squad he'll have to hope the team carries 6 wide-outs or he can overcome Jones' contributions on ST's. With some of the ST talent added in the '11 draft possibly replacing Jones, I think he does it.-I am intrigued with this kid and looking forward to see what he's got.

5. Ed Wang - IMO he's getting cut.-Maybe

6a. Arthur Moats LB - He'll make the team again, and his contribution/status will depend heavily on Merriman's health, Kelsay's progress, and Maybin getting his head out of his ass finally (which is doubtful)-I look for him to steal a job in this defense

6b. Danny Batten LB - Possible versatility to play inside and outside may save him a spot, but don't be surprised if he's a final cut.-Could be a valuable SP teams guy if healthy

7a. Levi Brown, QB - He'll carry the clipboard again this season, apparently.-fine by me

7b. Kyle Calloway, OT - Cut last season and not coming back.

Not bad. 8 of 9 made the team in some fashion last year, and at least 6 (really, possibly all 8 but I don't think likely) should return again this season.

We could get three starters from this group for next, and if Dareus, Williams, Sheppard, and maybe even Searcy and/or Hairston can crack the line-up in '12, that would be a minmum of 8 starters in two drafts. I can live with that for the first two years of the Nix/Gailey era.

psubills62
05-01-2011, 03:15 PM
DL in a 3-4 usually improve tremendously in their second year. I'll be very interested to see how Troup and Carrington do, and I expect them to be pretty decent this year.

Easley should make the team, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some decent playing time.

Spiller...I believe he could do some very good things, IF we had the right team. Right now, it would be like if we had Jahvid Best, without having Calvin Johnson, Brandon Pettigrew, Tony Scheffler, Nate Burleson, or Matt Stafford. It just doesn't work. But make no mistake - we do need playmakers. Atlanta knows you can't just have one guy on offense, Green Bay knows it, Baltimore knows it, etc. I like Spiller's prospects, but not for the next year or two. Still have a ways to go before the offense will be very competent.

Yeah, I don't like Wang's chances either.

Batten is hard to figure out. There seems to be a lot of bodies, and I'd like to see him earn a spot. I believe he will.

Moats should contribute on the outside.

Brown...man, I hope we get enough QB's to cut him. Not excited about him at all.

For as many defensive players (11) as we've drafted, I want to be excited about the defense. Hard to get pumped with Edwards calling his vanilla schemes and blitzes, though. Sometimes, schemes can overcome lack of talent, especially rushing the passer (ahem, Rex Ryan). We, unfortunately at this point, seem to have neither.

CAbills
05-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Thats why we got the 'stache on Defense now.

Night Train
05-01-2011, 03:43 PM
This draft still needs another 2 years to evaluate.

Grade Incomplete.

Yasgur's Farm
05-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Only one thing wrong with Spiller... He thought he could give up ground to gain ground. An entire offseason should cure that.