• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Watch the UFL Draft

For those that are already making up their ideal UDFA roster pickups, need to wait till after tomorrow night. All those players are still eligible to be drafted by the UFL and I dont know if more than a few of those teams are going to take some shots.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: Watch the UFL Draft

You can jump from the UFL to the NFL mid-season, right?

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Only if they have lesbian wrestling in between breaks. No other reason to watch.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
        Will not tolerate vandalism.
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Goobylal
        You can jump from the UFL to the NFL mid-season, right?
        Sort of. The UFL has structured themselves this year so that their season ends in October, giving players the opportunity to jump to the NFL once the season is over. The problem with just jumping is that last year they started putting in non-compete clauses and not releasing them until after the NFL season ended in the hopes of extracting a $25,000 payment (i.e. half the player's standard $50,000 full season salary) in exchange for releasing their rights to the NFL. It's arguably illegal (at least in California) and it went over like a lead balloon last year, so I'm not sure they'll try it again this year.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

If any of them are smart, they'll take fliers on Newton, Gabbert, Mallett etc for the future.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Crisis
            • Aug 2004

this thread made me look up jp losman, he's 30 already.... can't believe how long ago that was.
            Originally posted by LOSman WINS
            Vanek is Austrian not European
            Originally posted by Prov401
            Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
            Originally posted by better days
            I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
              If any of them are smart, they'll take fliers on Newton, Gabbert, Mallett etc for the future.
              Players that were drafted are the property of NFL teams and are not eligible for the UFL draft. At least that is my understanding.
              COMING SOON...

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                • Sep 2003

I dont see it on espn?

Comment

• Raptor
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                  Players that were drafted are the property of NFL teams and are not eligible for the UFL draft. At least that is my understanding.
                  Correct

and any player that signs a deal will have a NFL release clause in their deal

The ultimate goal for the UFL unlike other leagues who wanted to be the NFL's competition is to eventually become the minor league for the NFL. So I wouldn't look for them to really rock the boat with drafted players or any big name UDFA

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                    Will not tolerate vandalism.
                    • Apr 2006

I don't know if that's technically enforceable, since the UFL is outside the NFL's jurisdiction and unless a player signs a contract, the team that drafted him can prevent other NFL teams from tampering, but not other leagues. After all, the AFL and NFL poached each other frequently leading up to the merger, and the WFL did poaching in the 70s, too. The UFL is not nearly as aggressive as those leagues, so they won't go after existing NFL contracts, but legally, there really isn't anything that can stop them from going after players who haven't signed a contract... at least without raising the ire of antitrust lawyers, anyway.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
                      I don't know if that's technically enforceable, since the UFL is outside the NFL's jurisdiction and unless a player signs a contract, the team that drafted him can prevent other NFL teams from tampering, but not other leagues. After all, the AFL and NFL poached each other frequently leading up to the merger, and the WFL did poaching in the 70s, too. The UFL is not nearly as aggressive as those leagues, so they won't go after existing NFL contracts, but legally, there really isn't anything that can stop them from going after players who haven't signed a contract... at least without raising the ire of antitrust lawyers, anyway.
                      Technically I think there is. Since the draft falls under the old CBA which states that once teams draft a player they retain all rights. That doesnt change this year because of a lockout. Plus as Raptor pointed out above the UFL has no interest in competing with the NFL, it would prefer to be their minor league system. Which is why this year is so important to them. If they can snatch up Pat Devlin, Terrance Tolliver, Mario Harvey, and a 5-7 more per team why wouldnt you watch?

Especially if you knew these guys were going to be available as soon as October for a late season playoff push?
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Raptor
                        Correct

and any player that signs a deal will have a NFL release clause in their deal

The ultimate goal for the UFL unlike other leagues who wanted to be the NFL's competition is to eventually become the minor league for the NFL. So I wouldn't look for them to really rock the boat with drafted players or any big name UDFA
                        Yes and per the official UFL Twitter feed this morning in response to my question the specific UFL contracts requirements this year (including the amount for a release) is still being negotiated.

I will disagree with your final point. I expect them to go after the bigger name UDFA's. I think its the perfect storm for them, if they want to ever become a true minor league system this is the time to do it. Grab 30-40 of the best guys you can get from this years undrafted class and you're going to generate a lot of buzz and attention. Keep in mind there are only 5 UFL teams, so that's roughly 6-8 players per roster.

Just saying Id much rather watch Pat Devlin toss the ball around than JP Losman.
                        COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
                          I dont see it on espn?
                          Not on TV, only on Twitter.

Follow @theUFL for the official feed and all five teams for their picks.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                            • Sep 2003

Not on TV, only on Twitter.

Follow @theUFL for the official feed and all five teams for their picks.

LOL, I was only kidding.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Those interested, 8pm tonight.

Follow the following;
                              @theUFL
                              @OmahaNighthawks
                              @LasVegasLocos
                              @VADestroyers
                              @theColonials
                              @SacMtnLions
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X